  Date: Wed, 31 Oct 90 16:20:13 -0800
  From: Cindy Tittle <tittle@ics.UCI.EDU>
  Subject: Chilling Advertisement

  I just saw a rather chilling advertisement in this week's edition of Newsweek
  (November 5, 1990).  It features a computer monitor/keyboard with a Sherlockian
  cap hung on one corner.  The bold type says "Information is your company's best
  protection from liability."  OK so far, then I read on:

  "Get it fast -- without leaving your desk.

  Think about it.  Know your potential employees.  Verify the business credits of
  new accounts.  Or, check out your new vendors.  Just hit a few keystrokes on
  your personal computer and you've got it.

  Information from UCC, civil and criminal record filings, Secretary of State,
  and more, allow you to uncover bankrupticies, pending litigation and a wealth
  of information that may protect your company from liability -- or even loss.
  All you need is a personal computer and existing software.  That's right.  View
  it -- Print it -- Store it.

  CDB Infotek's Investigative Information System is an on-line database designed
  to proved access to public record information for company security, credit,
  personnel and management departments.

  Not only is CDB Infotek's on line service one of the most comprehensive in the
  industry, it's easy to use.  And it's fast.

  Before you make a decision -- check the records -- check with CDB Infotek.

  [...]"

  Eek.

  --Cindy

  ------------------------------

  Date: 04 Nov 90 11:53:27 EST
  From: Dave King <71270.450@compuserve.com>
  Subject: Prodigy Censors Users

  Apparently, Prodigy is evicting users who are voicing their opposition to a new
  Prodigy policy which will implement charges for EMAIL messages within the
  Prodigy service.  In 1991 Prodigy will implement a policy which charges users
  25 cents for every EMAIL message they send after the first 30 every month.
  Prodigy users who have been vocal in their displeasure, and who have used the
  facilities of Prodigy to attempt to recruit others to their cause, have found
  themselves booted from the service.  According to a story by Evelyn Richards, a
  Washington Post staff writer:

  ...  This week [Prodigy] unplugged about a dozen outspoken dissidents whom it
  says were pestering innocent users with the electronic equivalent of junk mail.
  But what Prodigy sees as a way to stop needless harassment seems to others as a
  blatant example of censorship.  That's because the people bumped from the
  Prodigy system included the most active critics of a planned price increase for
  Prodigy's electronic mail service.

  Using electronic mail on the network, the dissidents had urged other
  subscribers to join the revolt by boycotting the advertisers that buy time on
  Prodigy's network.  "Prodigy is arguing they don't want people harassing their
  users," said Gary Arlen, editor of Interactivity Report, a Bethesda newsletter
  that follows the on-line industry.  I think that's a stretch.  It's a way to
  keep their advertisers pleased."

  The incident is the latest to spotlight the difficulties society faces as it
  struggles to adapt old laws and customs to emerging electronic networks. ...
  Some people say on-line services should protect the right of all expression, as
  a phone system does, while Prodigy argues it is more similar to a newspaper,
  which is free to publish what it chooses.

  Prodigy's troubles began two months ago when it announced that households would
  be able to send their first 30 electronic mail messages free but would get
  charged 25 cents for each additional message.  A core of angry subscribers
  first protested by posting notices to Prodigy's on-line bulletin boards, the
  computer equivalent of neighborhood kiosks.  Prodigy said it posted thousands
  of such complaints for others to read - but it didn't publish them all.

  When the writers urged a boycott of Prodigy advertisers - firms selling
  products on the network - Prodigy's editors returned the messages to the
  senders.  "We're not going to post something designed to destroy our business,"
  said Geoffrey Moore, Prodigy's director of market programs and communications.
  Moore likened the decision to a newspaper rejecting a letter to the editor, or
  rejecting an advertisement that criticizes the newspaper's largest advertisers.

  This week Prodigy decided enough is enough and refused to post any more
  messages about the rate increase.  But what especially angered officials was
  when the dissidents innundated other users with electronic chain letters urging
  them to join the protest and boycott.  Moore said users complained, so Prodigy
  bumped the offenders.

  And now the protestors say that's unfair.  "We're not being abusive.  We're not
  being vulgar.  All we're doing is making our (opinions) known," said Larry
  Wienner, 22, a Prodigy user from Randallstown, Md.  Wienner said the bumped
  dissidents are so hooked on Prodigy that they may try to re-subscribe under
  assumed names.

  Dave

Some interesting thoughts here...

Can we realistically prevent nosy people from amassing large databases
on us?  With mega-computing power available, won't most semi-public
things we do be available for scrutiny?  Perhaps our best bet is to
establish a policy (tradition?) of being able to *buy* our way off of
large databases...  Or perhaps a public utility commission watchdog
system would suffice?  But how would that stop, say, Brazilian data
companies?  And with a phone connection, who cares what what country
the data company resides in?  To eliminate hidden biases, shouldn't
data companies be operated by a disinterested party?  And how does one
find such a party?  Would *you* trust a data company run by the
government?

How many phone companies reserve the right to evict customers for
making too many phone calls?  Are these "chain letters" the equivalent
of obscene or crank calls?  Can I get the Postal Service to stop
delivering junk advertising supplements?  Is there a difference in
common carrier status between bboards on Prodigy and e-mail on
Prodigy?

Bill

--
 Bill Janssen        janssen@parc.xerox.com      (415) 494-4763
 Xerox Palo Alto Research Center

pbond@NSF.GOV (11/05/90)

---------------------- Original Header Lines (From NOTE) -----------------------
Sender: info-futures-request@encore.com
------------------------------- Message Contents -------------------------------
RISKS Digest 10.58 has a couple of particularly fascinating articles.  Though
I can't imagine someone reading FUTURES without reading RISKS, I nonetheless
repeat the two articles below:

  Date: Wed, 31 Oct 90 16:20:13 -0800
  From: Cindy Tittle <tittle@ics.UCI.EDU>

[...]

I agree with Cindy's comment.  "Eek!"  I know that knowledge is
          becoming our most valuable resource, but remember, too, that
          the phrase "knowledge is power" works both ways.  A tool in
          the hands of a legitimate person or organization can become
          a weapon in the hands of a person or organization whose aims
          may not be so pure.  At the very least, well thought-out
          controls should be placed on systems like the one described
          above.

          Pat

--

sobiloff@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (Chrome Cboy) (11/06/90)

In article <JANSSEN.90Nov4232652@holmes.parc.xerox.com> janssen@parc.xerox.com (Bill Janssen) writes:
>Can we realistically prevent nosy people from amassing large databases
>on us?

No.

  With mega-computing power available, won't most semi-public
>things we do be available for scrutiny?

Yes, but you're using the wrong tense--we are already incredibly "trackable"
thanks to credit card verification, and hotel/travel reservation systems.

  Perhaps our best bet is to
>establish a policy (tradition?) of being able to *buy* our way off of
>large databases...

So only those that are rich enough can maintain some semblence of privacy?
No thanks...

  Or perhaps a public utility commission watchdog
>system would suffice?

Something that may prove to be effective: a federal law prohibiting the
maintenance of records that are more than n years old (n = 3 or 5). Of course
this just opens up an incredible market for "black data," but then what else
is new?

  But how would that stop, say, Brazilian data
>companies?

It won't; they'll just buy the data tapes an employee "securely disposes of"
and sell the information to the highest bidder.

  And with a phone connection, who cares what what country
>the data company resides in?  To eliminate hidden biases, shouldn't
>data companies be operated by a disinterested party?  And how does one
>find such a party?  Would *you* trust a data company run by the
>government?

No, I wouldn't trust the government any more than a private corporation. For
example, 68% of the records that TRW keeps about your credit history are
innaccurate, and they are one of the most accurate. Even federal databases
have incredibly poor accuracy ratings.

>How many phone companies reserve the right to evict customers for
>making too many phone calls?

None, unless the calls are of an obscene or harassing manner. You seem to be
confusing the telephone company, which operates under the law as a common
carrier, and Prodigy, which is *not* a common carrier. Like it or not, they
can censor as much as they like--legally.

  Are these "chain letters" the equivalent
>of obscene or crank calls?

See above.

  Can I get the Postal Service to stop
>delivering junk advertising supplements?

No, but there is a private group of individuals who will lobby, and even
sue, on your behalf to keep your name off bulk mailing lists and cold call
lists. (Don't know the name, however....)

  Is there a difference in
>common carrier status between bboards on Prodigy and e-mail on
>Prodigy?

Prodigy as a whole is not a common carrier, no matter how you decide you wish
to express yourself (email or bboard).

Sorry to sound so terse, but you asked a lot of questions I don't want to write
a million-line reply... :-)
--
							______________
_______________________________________________________/ Chrome C'Boy \_________

jonathan@pawl.rpi.edu (Jonathan Fisher) (11/13/90)

> [...]
>  Moore likened the decision to a newspaper rejecting a letter to the editor, or
>  rejecting an advertisement that criticizes the newspaper's largest advertisers.
>
>  This week Prodigy decided enough is enough and refused to post any more
>  messages about the rate increase.  But what especially angered officials was
>  when the dissidents innundated other users with electronic chain letters urging
>  them to join the protest and boycott.  Moore said users complained, so Prodigy
>  bumped the offenders.
>
>  And now the protestors say that's unfair.  "We're not being abusive.  We're not
>  being vulgar.  All we're doing is making our (opinions) known," said Larry
>  Wienner, 22, a Prodigy user from Randallstown, Md.  Wienner said the bumped
>  dissidents are so hooked on Prodigy that they may try to re-subscribe under

My thoughts on Prodigy:  They have the right to bump off any person from
their service who violates their rules.  They want a "family service," which
immediately cuts out a lot of "adult" talk.  If you don't like their oppression,
then drop the service (which is what I did).  From my experience with the
service, it has a lot of great things going for it, but it is incredibly
slow and **way** more oppressive than any similiar service that I've seen.
They want to make money, and if people start dropping the service, they
may think twice about changing their policies.

But this brings up a bigger question:  Censorship of electronic communications.
Right now, whoever owns the equipment makes the rules.  But isn't this the
way it has always been?  The owner of the newspaper gets to print whatever
he/she wants.  They don't have to print your article or letter if they don't
want to.  I would guess that since electronic communication is so much
faster, many would say that it is closer to "speech" than "press."  But,
there is nothing stopping you from setting up your own BBS and having
people call in.  So, is rejecting your article from a "public" network
censorship?  I don't think so.  Yes, it feels like it, but it isn't.  Prodigy
is oppressive, but it doesn't "censor" you in the way we currently think
about censorship with relation to the press (actually I think the government
is really the only one that can censor in this definition).

A more cloudy question involves e-mail.  Do the owners have a right to look
at your "private" e-mail?  I'll offer this question up for debate here.
--
Jonathan Fisher                                      jonathan@pawl.rpi.edu
ITS Student Consultant                                       or

Chris_Kent.PARC@XEROX.COM (11/13/90)

Isn't this the way it's always been? No. Perhaps it's always been this way for
computer mail services, but I think that the telephone system is a better
analogy for the future of electronic messaging systems. The Phone Company has
no right to censor what I say on the phones (modulo obscenity laws or whatever
it is that makes it illegal to use scatalogical language on the phones in the
US), even if I'm using the phone to call my local Utilities Commision. They
rent me the wires. Period.

ken@uswat.uswest.com (Kenny Chaffin) (11/14/90)

In article <90Nov12.154523pst.17170@alpha.xerox.com-> Chris_Kent.PARC@XEROX.COM writes:
->
->Isn't this the way it's always been? No. Perhaps it's always been this way for
->computer mail services, but I think that the telephone system is a better
->analogy for the future of electronic messaging systems. The Phone Company has
->no right to censor what I say on the phones (modulo obscenity laws or whatever
->it is that makes it illegal to use scatalogical language on the phones in the
->US), even if I'm using the phone to call my local Utilities Commision. They
->rent me the wires. Period.

	Not really a good analogy. The postal service is better. With a phone
you can only contact a single individual (normally). By electronic bulletin
board, or mail you can send messages to many, sort of like broadcasting or
publishing. All three of these industries have laws governing content, plus
ethical mores of the the owners or publishers.
KAC

"Anybody want a drink before the war?"
                       Sinead O'Connor

Kenny A. Chaffin                      {...boulder}!uswat!ken
U S WEST Advanced Technologies                (303) 930-5356
6200 South Quebec
Englewood, CO 80111
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

lsh@polari.UUCP (Lee Hauser) (11/15/90)

Prodigy may have the right to evict users it doesn't like, but I think that the
reading of others' E-mail is at least unethical and should be as illegal as
reading Postal Service mail that doesn't belong to you.  Prodigy is probably just fighting to stay alive anyway....
--
------- ======= ------- ======= ------- ======= ------- ======= ------- =======
                                  lsh@polari

djacobs@pawl.rpi.edu (Daniel H. Jacobs) (11/16/90)

People have been comparing the Prodigy service to newspapers, telephones,
and the Postal Service.  The comparison to the Postal Service was based on
the fact that you can send a large quantity of messages through it, while
you can only call one person at a time.  This isn't necessarily true, since
there are computers that call people over the phone to take surveys or
express opinions, so this could be done in mass quantities too.  Furthermore,
since the phone lines are used in computer communications, I think the
analogy to the phone service is best, although it can be compared to
electronic voice mailboxes, an advanced type of answering machine system.
These mailboxes will be affected by whatever decisions are made about
Prodigy.

Once again, does Prodigy have the right to boot users from the system for
maligning the service and sending out a multitude of messages to users (aka
harrassing)?  Anyone who says "yes" to this should also agree that MCI,
SPRINT, and their competitors also have the right to remove customers.  I
not sure, but I believe that phone harassment is a misdemeanor, so BBS
harrassment should be dealt with in the same manner.  In any case, I can't
remember a MCI customer being cut off from the service for saying bad
things about MCI or making harassing phone calls.  Furthermore, does
Prodigy have the right to scan private e-mail?  Again, there is Federal
protection for tapping into a phone line or tampering with the mail,
so there should be the same protection afforded to e-mail, which is the
electronic form of communication.

Finally, Prodigy is a business, so it should have the right to choose its
customers.  However, it must evaluate the consequences of kicking users
off of the system.  It not only loses those users, but any other users who
are offended by this action and potential future users.  Either Prodigy
feels that the price increase will cover these losses, more users would
have left the system if they had continued to be harassed, or there are
bad decisions being made in management.  Users are free to join another
service.

One more point to consider... Does Prodigy have the right to warn other
services about the user's behavior, like a credit card company can put
out a bad credit rating alert?  After all, no service wants to have
troublemaking users.  What do others think?

Dan Jacobs.

mccoy@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Jim Mccoy) (11/16/90)

In article <{0*^=C#@rpi.edu>, djacobs@pawl.rpi.edu (Daniel H. Jacobs) writes:
|> [some stuff about what people are using as analogies for Prodigy deleted]
|>
|> Once again, does Prodigy have the right to boot users from the system for
|> maligning the service and sending out a multitude of messages to users (aka
|> harrassing)?  Anyone who says "yes" to this should also agree that MCI,
|> SPRINT, and their competitors also have the right to remove customers.  I
|> not sure, but I believe that phone harassment is a misdemeanor, so BBS
|> harrassment should be dealt with in the same manner.  In any case, I can't
|> remember a MCI customer being cut off from the service for saying bad
|> things about MCI or making harassing phone calls.  Furthermore, does
|> Prodigy have the right to scan private e-mail?  Again, there is Federal
|> protection for tapping into a phone line or tampering with the mail,
|> so there should be the same protection afforded to e-mail, which is the
|> electronic form of communication.

There is a difference here.  The postal system is a government entity
whose operation is protected and controlled by the federal government
(this is why tampering with the mail system in any way is a felony).
The phone companies are "common carriers".  In a nutshell, this means
that they are given a certain amount of protection, like the postal
system, from tampering and a few other things.  In return they must
agree to not discriminate in service, regardless of what a person says
or does, and must protect their subscribers (users) from tampering and
similar things.

Prodigy is not a common carrier.  Because of this is has the right to
deny service to people.  I am not sure how they fit into the
Electronic Communications Provacy Act.

jim

mccoy@acns.nwu.edu                  |  "Those whom the gods would destroy,
mccoy@ils.nwu.edu                   |   they first make mad...
#include <disclaimer.h>             |              -Sophocles