[comp.society.futures] Metal Brains

kyoto@pawl.rpi.edu (Jesse N. Schell) (11/16/90)

   GE is currently doing research concerning connecting a computer interface
to your head. It really seems that the mechanization of the human brain is
going to be the way of the future. Immortality may indeed become possible, and
the altered humans will be a truly different creature than anything that has
come before. This development would drastically change our conceptions of good
and evil, as well as any considerations of the importance of the individual.
Many people are trying to ignore the fact that this may become a reality,
perhaps within our lifetimes. All we know will have to be redefined, even
what it means to be alive. Personally, I am looking forward to these changes,
as it will force humanity as we know it to confront the cold light of reality,
and personal views of what might or might not be true will have far less
importance. I realize I probably sound like a nut, but what do others think?

TRULL@cl.uh.edu ("Kim J. Trull") (11/16/90)

Direct computer-to-brain interface -- sounds like a dream come
true to me!  Of course, I realize that the implications are
enormous, and likely to be beyond what we're imagining.

Brings a whole new meaning to "hacking" 'though, doesn't it?

              KJ

lucifer@world.std.com (Kevin S Green) (11/17/90)

Jesse, I also look forward to direct connection to computers.
For one, I'd like to have 24 hour access to USEnet/Internet or
what ever it will become when we have direct-connect.

--
Kevin S. Green / lucifer@world.std.com / {xylogics;uunet}!world!lucifer
               AOL: Gargoth / BIX: Keving / Pro-line: kgreen@pro-angmar

SC05212@SWTEXAS.BITNET (11/18/90)

        The idea of direct brain to computer interface is not new. If you are
curious about one view of what could happen read the manuals to the Cyberpunk
Role Playing Game. It shows a dark world where direct computer/brain interface
is a best risky, usually dangerous possibly fatal. Imagine a computer virus
designed to directly affect the Medula in the brain (Basic Life Functions).
        I know that this is fiction, but it is a possiblity. While I would
probably get an implant IF I could ever afford it, I would want massive
regulation and protection, because as in all technology, it could be real good
and real bad at the same time.

                                                Sean Chitwood.
                                                SWTSU Student.
Disclaimer: They don't care about what I think so my thoughts are truly my own.

cirian@einstein.eds.com (Steve Cirian) (11/21/90)

Read _Neuromancer_ by William Gibson.  It is considered the classic Cyberpunk
novel, and deals with similar issues.

--
Steve Cirian		~  local girl:  What does BRMC stand for?
750 Tower Drive		~  Johnny:      Black Rebels Motorcycle Club

asylvain@felix.UUCP (Alvin "the Chipmunk" Sylvain) (11/29/90)

In article <9011182020.AA26231@BU.EDU> SC05212@SWTEXAS.BITNET writes:

[...]
>         I know that this is fiction, but it is a possiblity. While I would
> probably get an implant IF I could ever afford it, I would want massive
> regulation and protection, because as in all technology, it could be real good
> and real bad at the same time.

I doubt that our government, or any future government, would have the
wisdom to regulate away the risks you're afraid of.

This "massive regulation" you're talking about would more likely
manifest itself as "programming", wherein each individual receiving the
implant automatically "thinks correctly".  I.e., the person with the
"well regulated" computer implant follows whatever the current political
ideology of the time happens to be.

All data loaded is that which has been approved by the regulators as
being "safe" (safe for the status quo).  (Modified history?  Or simply
leave out counter-examples?  "too much detail!")  Any logical processes
that occur might only follow the "Pre-Defined Politically Correct"
processes, assuring those in power that no "radical" ideas crop up.

Talk about Big Brother!

As a matter of fact, this may well make a great idea for some science
fiction!
--
asylvain@felix.UUCP (Alvin "the Chipmunk" Sylvain)
========================= Opinions are Mine, Typos belong to /usr/ucb/vi