[comp.society.futures] humans, weapons, artificial intelligence

doug@testsys.uucp (Doug Thompson) (01/16/91)

In article <135.278E6D2D@petruz.sublink.ORG> (Pietro Caselli) writes:

> In a message of <29 Dec 90  13:45:13>, WARREN writes:
>
>  >If computers ever do replace human intelligence, I hope they do a
>  >better job.  We've developed engines that pollute, weapons that destroy
>  >citys in moments.  I hope that a computer is capable of coping with the
>  >challenge that we ourselves are far from handling, let alone admitting.
>
>  Since people who developed computers are the same who developed weapons
>  and engines, I only hope machines will never gain Human Intelligence ...

<grin>

Yeah - kinda sobering eh?

It should be noted, however, that there are computer people out here
who decline to work on weapons-related contracts.

We, the programmers and computer scientists, are the ones who build
the engines of war. "Without Us", 'they' will have a harder time
making war. The war-makers certainly are doing their stuff without me.

Each of us must make his own determination but I feel better for
knowing that I have not aided and abetted . . .

Is that self-indulgent idiocy or is that high moral principle? I am
not sure.

I do know one thing for sure though, without us, they could not do it.

It is 27 minutes to midnight, January 25, 1991. In Lithuania, Latvia,
Estonia, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Syria, Turkey, Israel and Jordan
the tanks are rolling.

Let us pray there is someone, somewhere, who can stop them . . .

=Doug

---
UUCP: isishq!testsys!doug             DNS:  doug@isishq.fidonet.org
Voice: 613-722-4724                   Fido: Doug Thompson on 1:163/162
POST: P.0. Box 3041, Stn C., Ottawa, K1Y 4J3, CANADA