[comp.society.futures] Future Drugs

dave@tygra.UUCP (David Conrad) (01/28/91)

In article <0bcb3Um00WBN436Uk7@andrew.cmu.edu> sl31+@andrew.cmu.edu (Stephen M. Lacy) writes:

>[about a harmless but highly psychologically addictive `euphoria' drug]
>
>    The question is:  Would the government make this drug illegal?
>
>Steve

No, they would be the ones selling it.
--
Dave Conrad
dave@ddmi.com

jmichael@cod.NOSC.MIL (James A. Michael) (01/29/91)

>etc...  And, the drug would be no more addictive than cigarettes or sex
>or whatever.
>
>    The question is:  Would the government make this drug illegal?
>
>Steve

However, tobacco is one of the most addictive drugs known.

				Jim Michael

Addresses:
ARPA: jmichael@nosc.mil           (preferred)
UUCP: {ihnp4,ucbvax,dcdwest,seismo}!sdcsvax!nosc!cod!jmichael
AT&T: (619) 553-2416    (work)
      (619) 223-9405    (home)

jerbil@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Joseph R. Beckenbach) (01/31/91)

sl31+@andrew.cmu.edu (Stephen M. Lacy) writes, describing the hypothetical
ideal recreational drug, excepting partial paralysis during the euphoric
stage, and asks "Would the government make this drug illegal?"

	Considering that the destructive drugs of tobacco and alcohol are
regulated and taxed but still salable, I'd be inclined to say "yes".  But then,
I've been 'straight man' at a few pot parties, and pot's short-term effects
(and odors!) are less objectionable than tobacco's.  However, marijuana is
illegal.  Go figure.  My guess, especially with the current political climate,
would be "no".

	No, I do not know the long-term effects of marijuana use;  I do know
the long-term effects of breathing air with suspended particulates -- which
is one reason why I avoid smokes of any sort.

		Joseph Beckenbach
		speaking solely for myself

colston@sixnine.gid.co.uk (Colston Sanger) (01/31/91)

>sl31+@andrew.cmu.edu (Stephen M. Lacy) writes, describing the hypothetical
>ideal recreational drug, excepting partial paralysis during the euphoric
>stage, and asks "Would the government make this drug illegal?"

Maybe not quite what was meant, but has anyone considered television as
a `drug'? . It is widely used for recreational purposes, induces  a
trance-like state of euphoria (sometimes?) as well as partial
paralysis...

Would the government make this drug illegal? Well? Has it?

Colston Sanger
--
GID - software engineers to the gentry		GID Ltd
						69 Kings Road

doug@testsys.uucp (Doug Thompson) (02/01/91)

In article <9101302341.AA08012@sixnine.gid.co.uk>
(Colston Sanger) writes:

> a `drug'? . It is widely used for recreational purposes, induces  a
> trance-like state of euphoria (sometimes?) as well as partial
> paralysis...
>
> Would the government make this drug illegal? Well? Has it?

Some governments have made TV illegal, most notably the Republic of
South Africa until sometime in the last ten years. Can't quite
remember when.

Others have regulated it very heavily, and some still do.

Personally, I think that everything that is bad for people should be
made illegal - including war - because it is pretty obvious that most
people don't know what is good for them :-).

=Doug

---
UUCP: isishq!testsys!doug             DNS:  doug@isishq.fidonet.org
Voice: 613-722-4724                   Fido: Doug Thompson on 1:163/162
POST: P.0. Box 3041, Stn C., Ottawa, K1Y 4J3, CANADA