[comp.society.futures] Info Engineers

djy@INEL.GOV (Daniel J. Yurman) (02/20/91)

In article <1991Feb13.15748@cadillac.CAD.MCC.COM  Bruce Speyer
writes

>I would like to see more detailed future visions for various
>application areas.

and

In article <2271@ccadfa.afda.oz.au  Geoff Miller writes

>I think there will be a growing market for information engineers

        My response is that there have been some very interesting
ideas about the hardware and software aspects of the future of
computing post to this list but I have not seen much about the
data.  For this reason I have crafted a "mission statement" for
an advanced system which addresses the data, or information
engineering, side of the house.

        This is an extension of my previous post (message id:
<9102031827.AA72323@inel.gov> on the subject of logical
workstations for characterization of uncontrolled hazardous waste
sites.

        This post my be somewhat off center from the current
dialog because it deals more with data and organizational issues
than technology.  Readers of this list are invited to respond as
to whether they think it is appropriate or useful to post any
further ideas along these lines to INFO.FUTURES.

          For the sake of the discussion example, I am calling
the organization building the system the Nacirema Chemical Works
(NCW), a manufacturing concern which has multiple hazardous waste
sites on the EPA National Priorities List.  To the best of my
knowledge, no such firm exists.  If it does, the choice of the
name is purely coincidental because Nacirema is "American" spelled
backwards.  This is a well known convention for expressing a
description of a large, amorphous business organization with
operations are many sites.

%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%

NACERIMA WASTE HANDING AND ENVIRONMENTAL RESTORATION
INFORMATION SYSTEM

1. Mission Statement

          This DOCUMENT describes how the design of a logical
workstation to support hazardous waste cleanup would require a
"mission statement" to address the data, organizational, and
related technological issues related to building the system.  The
system is the Waste Handling and Environmental Restoration
Information System (WHERIS).

1.1 Background

          Federal Regulatory Requirements

          The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (US EPA) and
the Nacirema Chemical Works (NCW), which has multiple hazardous
waste sites on the EPA National Priorities List (NPL), have
entered into a mutual Consent Order and Compliance Agreement
(COCA) to achieve and maintain compliance with applicable
hazardous waste laws and regulations.  Plans to clean up
hazardous waste at NCW sites specify the work that will be done to
(1) complete remedial investigation/feasibility studies (RI/FS);
(2) cooperate with EPA to prepare defensible records of decisions
(ROD); (3) clean up and close sites; and (4) conduct long-term
monitoring to validate the effectiveness of remedial actions.

          Mission Critical System

          WHERIS is the primary repository of chemical and other
waste attribute information for Superfund sites at NCW.  It is the
primary mechanism by which NCW stores and retrieves these data,
which are required to complete documents specified and defined in
the agreements with Federal and state regulatory agencies.  The
primary document created by NCW, and supported by WHERIS, is the
RI/FS.  Input from the system also goes into the ROD.  Because
these documents are essential to the completion of cleanup
activities, WHERIS is a "mission critical" system for NCW.

1.2.      Objectives

          Reporting Objectives

          Reporting requirements to EPA and the states in which
the sites are located include the development of automated
information systems (AIS) to provide for consistency of storage of
information as well as rapid access to it.

          The objectives of WHERIS are to provide support to NCW
in meeting the reporting requirements of regulatory agencies;
assist managers and engineers engaged in site characterization,
cleanup, and monitoring activities; and store and provide
retrieval of data required for RI/FS and ROD documents, site
cleanup action, and closure decisions.

          WHERIS is distinct from a manual or automated records
management system, including one using optical disk, in that
tabular data stored in WHERIS are available for manipulation and
transformation either directly or with arithmetic, logical,
spatial, graphical, or by other kinds of operators.  By
comparison, tabular data stored in an optical image system are not
directly available in that format for calculation and analysis
leading to values to be incorporated in an RI/FS or ROD. The
hardcopy records stored in optical images are permanent backup to
the dynamic environment of WHERIS.

          WHERIS is a means of integrating and coordinating
various data management, analysis, and reporting functions for
environmental restoration activities.  Users of WHERIS require its
capabilities to answer the following five key questions about NCW
data:

          1. What data are available to me?

          2. Are these data relevant to my job?

          3. Where are the data located?

          4. How can I access the data?

          5. What can I do with the data?

          Quality Assurance Objectives

          WHERIS is the tool used by NCW to control nonconforming
data items with respect to their use in RI/FS and ROD documents.
The mission of WHERIS in controlling nonconforming data can be
described by five questions regarding the "meta-data," or
information about the data in WHERIS.  To answer these questions,
the following meta-data about WHERIS attribute or results
information must be available:

          1. Who collected what data when?

          2. What were the characteristics of data collection
          methods and devices?

          3. What are the transformation functions applied to
          interpreted data to support RI/FS and ROD documents?

          4. How are the citations and documentation about the
          data accessible?

          5. What were the structure and format of the data
          before being integrated into RI/FS and ROD documents?

          Data Management Objectives

          Data management objectives for WHERIS are bound up in
quality assurance objectives for NCW.  Four data management
objectives are

          The data are valuable resources:

          Data are collected, stored, and used to support
critical environmental restoration decisions.  Thus, data are
extremely important resources.  This defines the "mission
critical" nature of the data and the host computer system.
Storage and retrieval of NCW data for decision making cannot be
delegated to a third party or a subcontractor with limited scope
of work and duration of funding. Additionally, where contractors
are used to acquire primary data, delivery orders must specify
storage of validated results data in an NCW system and not in a
contractor's system.

          The data are distinct from technology:

          Data requirements are embedded in the WHERIS mission.
Program needs for data, including the satisfaction of regulatory
requirements, to support decisions on waste site cleanup and
closure are distinct from the technology to electronically store,
retrieve, and manipulate this information.

          Accuracy is essential:

          Effective management of data to support waste site
decision making requires that accurate information about that
data (meta data) be kept, and in such a manner that it can be
retrieved as easily as the primary data itself.

          Redundancy should be avoided:

          A common approach across waste sites or their future
organizational equivalents, to defining, modeling, designing the
acquisition of, and documenting the sampling and analysis
results, or other waste attribute information, will make it
easier to share data among systems and offices.

          Objectives for Data Types

          The principal objectives of WHERIS are to provide
consistency in storage of and rapid access to information
concerning cleanup of waste at NCW.  Types of information include
chemical sampling results and geological, meteorological, and
radiological analyses and results.  WHERIS contains five kinds of
data to support reporting requirements:

          Raw sensor information: Data values derived from
          measurement devices, although these are not usually
          incorporated in RI/FS and RODs.

          Calibrated data: Raw physical values corrected by
          calibration operators, which then enter the quality
          assurance/quality control (QA/QC) process.

          Validated data: Calibrated data filtered through
          quality assurance procedures, which can be used
          directly in RI/FS and RODs.

          Derived data: Aggregated validated data sets, e.g.,
          averages, sums, and the products of statistical or
          other analytic tools or models.

          Interpreted data: Derived, validated data combined with
          validated data sets from other sources and merged in
          applications such as geographic information systems,
          scientific visualization, and reports.

          Objectives for the User Interface

          The general objectives for the WHERIS user interface
are to provide NCW users ease of access to retrieve data and the
use of analytic tools for preparation of reports.  Additional
objectives are that user interfaces for WHERIS applications:

          1. Are domain specific, e.g., chemical, geological,
          atmospheric.

          2. Support novice and expert modes.

          3. Provide the capabilities to browse different data
          sets.

          4. Have hooks to special application programs, e.g.,
          graphics and geographic information system (GIS).

          5. Provides user access to different levels of storage
          in a transparent manner.

          6. Maintain audit trails of data sets used and
          transformation applied.

1.3 Summary of Needs

          The primary focus is that data management tools and
techniques are part of a decision support system (DSS) directed at
the RI/FS and ROD processes.  Thus, needs within NCW are addressed
by the following functions supported by WHERIS.

          Determine the extent, transport mechanisms, and fates of
contaminants.  This includes site characterization, contaminant
source determination, trend analyses, and treatability studies.

          Produce site maps with sampling locations to be
included in administrative records of sites with signed RODs.
Identify the most common contaminants at National Priority List
(NPL) sites and plot their locations.

          Assist in evaluation of the effectiveness of proposed
remedies for site cleanup.  This includes support for the RI/FS
process, verification/ validation of models, support for field
analytic techniques, and laboratory performance evaluations.

          Assist in the assignment of priorities for site cleanup
so that the worst sites are cleaned up first.  This includes
assisting in development of standards and criteria for decision
making, supporting documentation requirements for Administrative
Records (AR), ROD, and inquiry response, e.g., responses to
Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests, site management
support, and emergency preparedness planning.

          Validate groundwater models.  Support risk assessment.
Predict concentrations and residence times.

1.4       Anticipated Benefits

          Cost: The cost of developing WHERIS will be kept down by
using off-the-shelf, commercial software and existing
telecommunications facilities.  This will eliminate redundancy in
computer hardware and software.

          Access: Users will have the ability to read data from
the terminals they already have installed in their offices.  They
will have the ability to either use structured menus or develop
custom "ad hoc" queries and reports.  The system will provide new
or additional sources of data across the organization which
previously had been available only to a few.

          Simplicity: Users will not be required to use different
databases and systems to integrate data from multiple
environmental media, e.g., surface, subsurface, air, groundwater,
facilities.  Site managers developing proposed remedies for
cleanup of waste will benefit from accessing electronically stored
data about the efforts of others facing the same kinds of
problems.  However, security will exist at two levels: (1) access
to the host computer, and (2) access to the database functions.

          Data Integrity: A uniform, common data storage
repository will promote data integrity and validity.  A single
data element dictionary will control the definition of terms and
their uses in the system.  Managers will have more confidence in
their decisions because they will have better access to
information. Data ownership will be retained by the principal
investigator for each waste site.

          Speed: Time savings will occur as a result of greatly
increased accessibility to the central repository for Superfund
data at NCW.  The time to produce reports will be shortened, and
the system will enhance reporting capabilities.

          Communication: Better public understanding of AR
decisions is possible if site maps are included with sampling
points and data.  Organization and communication of analytic
results to site managers and engineers will be enhanced by use of
the public data networks.

          Audits: A common database will provide the ability to
look retrospectively at individual or groups of sites and
determine not only the effectiveness of cleanup methods and
technologies but also the permanence of the remedy.  If data are
scattered across individual personal computers or the personal
paper files of site engineers, it will be impossible to establish
consistency regarding data management in developing RI/FS and
RODs.

          Feasibility: WHERIS will provide a higher level of
confidence in decisions.  Site managers and engineers faced with
multiple impacts on various environmental media will be able to
integrate and evaluate different data sources and rapidly test
"what if" type analyses to define feasible cleanup remedies.

1.5 Constraints

          Organizational

          In order for WHERIS to fulfill its mission, other parts
of NCW must perform certain tasks.

          1. The most important task is that the outcome of
implementing sampling and analysis plans must be the production of
validated data sets with geographic locators (latitude/longitude).

          2. Developers of sampling and analysis plans must
factor the transmission of data to WHERIS into their project
plans.

          3. Standardization must be required and implemented for
validation flags, geographic locators, and data entry formats for
electronic capture of raw values and subsequent management through
a quality assurance process.

          4. All data values must be accompanied by spatial
location coordinates and meta data about the collection of the
information.

          5. Data management must be recognized as a scientific
and project specific discipline not only within the team of
employees assigned to WHERIS but also for staff developing and
implementing sampling and analysis plans and those preparing RI/FS
and ROD documentation.

          Technical

          Although of less significance than organizational
factors, technical considerations also include

          1. Data set transmission on public data networks

          2. Conversion of historical data sets to WHERIS formats

          3. Compatibility among multiple data sets from multiple
          sources

          4. Interoperability of various commercial software
          packages

          5. Quality assurance of third party, commercial software

          6. Capacity for long-term, permanent storage consistent
          with long-term site monitoring while preserving ease of
          automated access

          7. Timely release of data from the quality assurance
          process.

1.6 Products

          The following list of products that will be produced by
WHERIS is representative rather than exhaustive:

          Data Entry: NCW will enter all data into WHERIS for its
own sites and for its subcontractors.

          Queries: WHERIS users will have the capability to make
customized queries and to select and sort portions of the total
database for viewing.  Users will also receive standard reports.

          Listings: Results of queries to the database will be
printed on paper or displayed on the screen.

          Reports: Results of data manipulation or analytical
processing will be printed on paper or displayed to the screen.
The emphasis will be on user-driver retrievals of NCW data sets.

          GIS Interface: These capabilities will allow the visual
overlay of environmental monitoring data with site data,
facilities, and other surface and subsurface features.

          Maps: In conjunction with the GIS interface, users will
be able to produce color maps of the location in space and time
of the transport and fate of waste.  These types of outputs are
especially useful not only for site characterization but also for
communication with the public and government units with
regulatory authority.

          Charts: Plots and graphs will be used to visualize
trends of contaminant concentrations over time.

          Import/Export: To facilitate the use of other software
packages, e.g., dBase and Lotus, users will export or import data
in appropriate formats.  This will include development of
interfaces to IBM/PCs, Apple Macintosh personal computers, and
engineering workstations.

*  Chance  favors  only the prepared mind - Louis Pasteur
* -------------------------------------------------------
*  Dan Yurman     Idaho  National Engineering  Laboratory
*                 PO Box 1625, Idaho Falls, ID 83415-3900
*  djy@inel.gov   43N; 112W -7 GMT
* -------------------------------------------------------
*  Standard   INEL   disclaimer   included  by  reference

ghm@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au (Geoff Miller) (02/21/91)

djy@INEL.GOV (Daniel J. Yurman) writes:

>        This post my be somewhat off center from the current
>dialog because it deals more with data and organizational issues
>than technology.  Readers of this list are invited to respond as
>to whether they think it is appropriate or useful to post any
>further ideas along these lines to INFO.FUTURES.

I haven't (obviously) reposted Daniel's article, which I have filed for
future detailed consideration, but I'd like to address this one point.  What
I was getting at in my earlier post was precisely this idea, that the data
and organisational issues are going to be the important ones.  The technology
will be available, mostly through the use of "off-the-shelf" or "shrink-
wrapped" software and hardware, but the average punter will not have the
breadth of knowledge to know how to put them together and how to make best use
of them.  The other aspect to this is that the very availablity of the
technology has an impact on what information can usefully be collected, and
this is another area where the "Information Engineer" should have an input
to organisational planning.

Certainly this is an appropriate forum for such discussions.

Geoff Miller  (ghm@cc.adfa.oz.au)
Computer Centre, Australian Defence Force Academy

richmond@arc.ab.ca (02/21/91)