[comp.society.futures] studies from home

orr%ccipeg@UUNET.UU.NET (Orr michael) (03/06/91)

Following the "working from home" question, I have a related topic -
studying from home.
1. I believe that there are colleges/univesities allowing this now.
   Am I right? which?
Assuming that there are such univesrities,
2. How do you feel such a degree should be regarded ? is it equal to a
   degree got in the usual way? why? How do you think society will
   react to this? (e.g. will employers accept such graduates?)
3. do you feel this trend is to be encouraged? what will be the advantages
   and disadvantages?
4. ...
                                        Michael Orr

R70007@BARILVM.BITNET (Ilan Paleiov) (03/07/91)

Hello Michael,

    Are you the Michael Orr from the mafhash/makatmar ???

       Ilan Paleiov              r70007.barilvm.bitnet

toms@utoday.com (Tom Smith) (03/09/91)

In article <9103051025.AA23216@ccipeg.UUCP> <orr%ccipeg%ccipeg%math.tau.ac.il@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU> writes:
>Following the "working from home" question, I have a related topic -
>studying from home.
>1. I believe that there are colleges/univesities allowing this now.
>   Am I right? which?
>Assuming that there are such univesrities,
>2. How do you feel such a degree should be regarded ? is it equal to a
>   degree got in the usual way? why? How do you think society will
>   react to this? (e.g. will employers accept such graduates?)
>3. do you feel this trend is to be encouraged? what will be the advantages
>   and disadvantages?
>4. ...
>                                        Michael Orr

I know of one "university" which does this, The Electronic University in
San Francisco, CA.  I have taken one course from them, and it worked out
great.  They provide you with textbooks, and lessons which you complete
and foward to your instructor via E-Mail.  Your instructor responds
personally to your lesson, and gives you the next assignment.  At the
conclusion of the course, you take a CLEP examination, and you are
awarded credit.

As the actual degree is awarded from a normal university, No one will
even know that you received an "Electronic Degree".

I found it interesting, but you could just as easily take the CLEP
examination without taking the course.  But the course definitely
makes sure that you have covered the material.

The phone number I have is 1-800-642-4888.  I am not sure if this
is valid for inquiries, or if It is for enrolled students only.

I would be interested in hearing from other people who have tried
this or a service like this.  E-mail me with your comments, If their
is enough interest - I will summarize to the net.

Tom Smith
toms@utoday.com

dww@math.fu-berlin.de (Debora Weber-Wulff) (03/12/91)

In Germany there is a University called the Fernuniversitaet in
Hagen that offers home studies in almost all traditional subjects.
You get the lectures and workbooks sent to you and send in your
homework once a week. There are "study centers" located in
a number of places around the country, where you go for exams,
counseling, coffee, etc. The programs are *rough* - you have to
spend a lot of time working on them. I have examined the CS
program, and I find it quite good. I would certainly hire a
CS graduate from Hagen - especially as they must be competent in
reading and writing!

Some other institutes offer special courses (teacher training in
media or such) by mail as well. It's a great way to get a degree
while your kids are growing up, or after work (in order to get
out some day :-) ). Not many universities (over here) hold
classes after Feierabend (6 pm).

--
Debora Weber-Wulff
snail: FU Berlin, ZI Fachdidaktik, Habelschwerdter Allee 45, W-1000 Berlin 33

stinnett@plains.NoDak.edu (M.G. Stinnett) (03/15/91)

The United Kingdom has The Open University. Some of the courses
are broadcast on BBC-2, or were a few years ago. I never looked
at it closely, but it had a reputation of being tough, and
seemed well-respected.

--M. G.

HJKOOY@HKUCC.BITNET ("NAME "Dik - Jan Kooy, Physics Department, Hong Kong University"") (03/15/91)

>From: stinnett%plains%ogicse@decwrl.dec.com
>Subject:RE: studies from home (?)
>Date: 15 Mar 91 01:30:24 GMT
>The United Kingdom has The Open University. Some of the courses
>are broadcast on BBC-2, or were a few years ago. I never looked
>at it closely, but it had a reputation of being tough, and
>seemed well-respected.
>--M. G.
They, as of summer 90, still were broadcasting, and mainly on BBC2. Try late in
the evening, early in the morning or in weekends (esp. sunday). Besides the TV
programmes, they expect you to do some activities like seeing your
advisor/supervisor. In the summer they run a program in an (empty) university.
They even offer higher degrees, but I've seen only announcements of those.
More information available from the address below (sorry, don't know the ZIP or
about EMAIL)
        The Open University
        Milton Keynes
        United Kingdom

The Netherlands have two kinds of programmes, TELEAC which offers courses via
the TV. These are mainly language courses and how to do a certain hobby. The
dutch equivalent to OU looked rather experimental and/or as a complement to
university education. In principle it should lead to a degree, but it'll take
years and years of courses. More information from the address below (sorry,
don't know this ZIP either, but I think I've seen EMAIL addresses from them)
        De Open Universiteit
        Heerlen
        The Netherlands

In Germany (at least the western half of it) they have 'TeleKolleg' which looks
rather substancial. I know of courses in maths, physics, chemistry and economy.
I don't know about degrees. I'm sorry but the only part of the address of those
people I can remember is 'ARD Telekolleg' and that they have a PObox number.

H.J. Kooy Jr. (HJKooy@HKUCC.bitnet Gate: CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU)

muffy@remarque.berkeley.edu (Muffy Barkocy) (03/15/91)

San Francisco City College have something called "TeleCourse."  You have
to go in to register and to take a test; otherwise, each class is
broadcast on cable at certain times of the day.  I've never tried it,
but they do have some interesting courses.

Muffy