[comp.society.futures] Techno Terror

lev@slced1.nswses.navy.mil (Lloyd E Vancil) (04/30/91)

I have just finished reading an article in the LA Times magazine of a
couple of Sundays ago about "Automatic Freeways."  This article expounds
at great length on the development and use of automated freeway systems to
solve the traffic problems in a metropolis such as LA.
Basically, such a system would involve computer guided autos, and a network
of machines that control the network under the roadway.  This would mean that
a network of computers (non-motile) would be controling and "conversing"
with a large number of moving computers.  All in all, a much considered
concept, nothing new here.
I wonder, however, if these designers have given any thought to the potential
for techno terror.  A "dick dastardly" finagles the computer in one
sector of the system to change the destination of each vehicle passing through
its control. The contollers would have to be able to re-route traffic around
problems.  Or a High-tech assasin targets one car and sets a program that
alters its destination every few seconds/minutes.  The victim car becomes the
fellow who was lost on the MTA, forever going nowhere at top speed.  -Boy!
what an analogy for today.-
If the entire network could be subverted, all of the vehicles in the net
would be going nowhere at top speed forever...

How would we react to such techno terror?
How would we combat it?
With the things we have learned about self replicating programs, I tend to
believe that techno-terror has already happened and will become more pandemic
in the future.

Comments?

--
 | suned1!lev@elroy.JPL.Nasa.Gov | * S.T.A.R.S.!   .       +      o       |
 | lev@suned1.nswses.navy.mil    | The Revolution has begun!   .     +    |

chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) (04/30/91)

In <9517@suned1.Nswses.Navy.MIL> lev@slced1.nswses.navy.mil (Lloyd E Vancil) writes:

>I have just finished reading an article in the LA Times magazine of a
>couple of Sundays ago about "Automatic Freeways."  This article expounds
>at great length on the development and use of automated freeway systems to
>solve the traffic problems in a metropolis such as LA.
>Basically, such a system would involve computer guided autos, and a network
>of machines that control the network under the roadway.  This would mean that
>a network of computers (non-motile) would be controling and "conversing"
>with a large number of moving computers.  All in all, a much considered
>concept, nothing new here.

And this in itsself reminds me of the Byte Magazine Summit issue where
they supposedly gathered "experts" to get their opinions on what
computing would do in the next decade.  These IDIOTS should have been
ashamed of themselves!  They said things like tiny computer chips
implanted under the skin and whatnot.  What a joke!

Enough people would NEVER allow such a thing to happen.  I'd bet with
one whif of such a thing the ACLU would go mad, and in this one tiny
case I would support them.  The same could be said for a computer
controlled freeway system.  One of the best things about driving a car
is "driving the car".  People are never going to want to give up the
freedom of controlling the vehicle themselves, and I do mean NEVER!

>I wonder, however, if these designers have given any thought to the potential
>for techno terror.  A "dick dastardly" finagles the computer in one
>sector of the system to change the destination of each vehicle passing through
>its control. The contollers would have to be able to re-route traffic around
>problems.  Or a High-tech assasin targets one car and sets a program that
>alters its destination every few seconds/minutes.  The victim car becomes the
>fellow who was lost on the MTA, forever going nowhere at top speed.  -Boy!
>what an analogy for today.-
>If the entire network could be subverted, all of the vehicles in the net
>would be going nowhere at top speed forever...

Good point, but they could probably make all kind of claims about
super-high security and closed systems and the like.  If I were a
"victim" of such a horrible system I (being a programmer myself) would
be much more afraid of a bug or crash than a "terrorist".  I know of
NOBODY, including myself, that I would trust to write an application
that had my very life in its hands so completely.  Have you ever of an
application that was completely free of bugs?

>How would we react to such techno terror?

What is the techno terror, the subverting of such a system or the
implementations itsself?

>How would we combat it?

Fight it before it IS implemented.

>With the things we have learned about self replicating programs, I tend to
>believe that techno-terror has already happened and will become more pandemic
>in the future.

Yes, this is a perfect reason to keep computing and automation in proper
perspective.  Computers, for me, are the foundation for a good career,
an enjoyable hobby, and sometimes an obsession.  Still I, even more than
many less technically involved people I know, keep my vision of
computer's roles in society much more in their proper perspective.  We
have to limit what we expect of computers and the areas where we try to
automate.

Just as a manager has to know what to delegate, when to delegate, and
who to delegate to, we must know what to automate, when to automate and
how to automate.  If a manager delegates responsibility properly the
production of his unit is increased exponentially.  If he delegates
responsibility irresponsibly he will fail miserably.
Charles "Chip" Yamasaki
chip@oshcomm.osha.gov

uselton@nas.nasa.gov (Samuel P. Uselton) (05/01/91)

chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) writes:

>In <9517@suned1.Nswses.Navy.MIL> lev@slced1.nswses.navy.mil (Lloyd E Vancil)
>writes:
>
>>I have just finished reading an article in the LA Times magazine of a
>>couple of Sundays ago about "Automatic Freeways."  This article expounds
>>at great length on the development and use of automated freeway systems to
>>solve the traffic problems in a metropolis such as LA.
>>Basically, such a system would involve computer guided autos, and a network
>>of machines that control the network under the roadway.  This would mean that
>>a network of computers (non-motile) would be controling and "conversing"
>>with a large number of moving computers.  All in all, a much considered
>>concept, nothing new here.

>Enough people would NEVER allow such a thing to happen.  I'd bet with
>one whif of such a thing the ACLU would go mad, and in this one tiny
>case I would support them.  The same could be said for a computer
>controlled freeway system.  One of the best things about driving a car
>is "driving the car".  People are never going to want to give up the
>freedom of controlling the vehicle themselves, and I do mean NEVER!

I think such articles are optimistic about how soon such technology will
be available, and especially economically justifiable.  I think such a
thing will eventually be possible, and may happen if we haven't created
better alternatives.  People will never give up driving cars, BUT...
they may be willing to give up control *temporarily* in order to use a
resource that will shorten (and increase safety of) a particular part
of the trip.  The entire road system will NOT be "wired" just a few high
traffic arteries where it can make a difference.  Sort of like putting
your car on a train that is faster and avoids stops, but without the
problems (or at least as many) of loading and unloading.  You still drive
your car between the ramps and the endpoints, you just relax for a while.

> I know of
>NOBODY, including myself, that I would trust to write an application
>that had my very life in its hands so completely.  Have you ever of an
>application that was completely free of bugs?

Do you know of any application to which people trust their lives?
(It doesn't really matter if you know who wrote them.)

How about astronauts in manned spacecraft?  How about the air traffic
control system?  How about the train system?  (And of course the medical
arena too.)

Yes there are occasional accidents and failures.  More of them are
caused by the humans than the computers.

Sam Uselton		uselton@nas.nasa.gov
employed by CSC		working for NASA (Ames)		speaking for myself

isr@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Michael S. Schechter - ISR group account) (05/01/91)

In article <9517@suned1.Nswses.Navy.MIL> lev@slced1.nswses.navy.mil (Lloyd E Vancil) writes:
 >Basically, such a system would involve computer guided autos, and a network
 >of machines that control the network under the roadway.  This would mean that
 >a network of computers (non-motile) would be controling and "conversing"
 >with a large number of moving computers.  All in all, a much considered
 >concept, nothing new here.
 >I wonder, however, if these designers have given any thought to the potential
 >for techno terror.  A "dick dastardly" finagles the computer in one
 >sector of the system to change the destination of each vehicle passing throug
 >its control. The contollers would have to be able to re-route traffic around
 >problems.  Or a High-tech assasin targets one car and sets a program that
 >alters its destination every few seconds/minutes.  The victim car becomes the
 >How would we react to such techno terror?
 >How would we combat it?
 > | suned1!lev@elroy.JPL.Nasa.Gov | * S.T.A.R.S.!   .       +      o       |

As far as this and terrorism goes, i see it broken down into too areas:
attacking the car computers
and attacking the control computers

As regards the control computers, I'm not worried. Worring about this
is like worrying about terrorists modifying the control programs on
airliners, train routers, or ATC stations. It would be of the same difficulty,
both technically and security-wise.

The mobile computers are something else. Yeah, i could see a problem if
a car kept changing it's destination every second if it's in a local-control
zone, but i'm under the impression these systems are meant for highway use.
So what if the destination changes? if it's not an immeadeately upcoming
exit it doesn't matter. And if it is, it's either in the "exit window" or
it's too late.

Another way mobile cmputers could be modified is to not pay attetion
to the remote controls - but i imagine the controllers would sense this
and be able to account for it. The worst case would be if the vehicale
telltales were removed completely, but again, i imagine roadway sensors
would pickup that -something- was there that didn't belong and in thge
worst case, all traffic in that sector would be halted while the highway
patrol or it's equivalent came out (most likely they'd be using helicopters
with vehicle lift capability).
If you to achieive similar results now, it's easy - get a pair of night
goggles and go out driving at night with your lights off on highway
interchanges.

The worst thing would be terrorists making up fake central controllers,
but again, this hasn't happened with airline instrument landings, why
assume it would happen with cars?

I see no particular problem, other than some people LIKE to drive.
(personally i would HATE this system, i enjoy zipping thru traffic)

I mean if terrorists wanted to cause massive traffic jams and accidents
they could simply use the traffic light strobe controllers.

Mike schechter
Mike_Schechter@isr.syr.edu
--
InterNet:Mike_Schechter@isr.syr.edu  BITNET: SENSORY@SUNRISE

lev@slced1.nswses.navy.mil (Lloyd E Vancil) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr30.020847.12423@osh3.OSHA.GOV> chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) writes:
>Good point, but they could probably make all kind of claims about
>super-high security and closed systems and the like.  If I were a
>"victim" of such a horrible system I (being a programmer myself) would
>be much more afraid of a bug or crash than a "terrorist".  I know of
>NOBODY, including myself, that I would trust to write an application
>that had my very life in its hands so completely.  Have you ever of an
>application that was completely free of bugs?

No flames here but, when was the last time you flew in or out of a major
airport?  More and more, the number I heard was >80% of all commecial
ariliners are automatically landed by a computer.  Then there are the
traffic computers on the rails.

Plain and simple fact, clear to anyone who spends time behind the wheel
in LA/DALWORTH/BOST-DC or CHI-GARY, is that we have to do something.  I
like to drive too, too fast and out where there ain't no traffic, but
we are talking about terrible congestion and all of the problems attached
there-to.
--
 | suned1!lev@elroy.JPL.Nasa.Gov | * S.T.A.R.S.!   .       +      o       |
 | lev@suned1.nswses.navy.mil    | The Revolution has begun!   .     +    |
 | sun!suntzu!suned1!lev         | My Opinions are Mine mine mine hahahah!|

mason3@husc9.harvard.edu (Richard Mason) (05/01/91)

I think Chip and others overestimate the fanatical desire of people to
retain control of their vehicles at all times.  After all, what about
automatic transmissions?  What about cruise control?  Aren't these cases
where the user relegates some of "the fun of driving" to an automatic
system?  (And yes, a bug in that automatic system can be fatal: witness
the Audis that unpredictably lunged into first gear and killed people due
to a fault in the cruise control chip).

An automated highway system would be just another step along the same lines.

Look at it another way.  Most people don't object to riding the subway,
even though they're not in control of the vehicle and could be killed in
an accident.  What if the system were automated and the drivers replaced
by computers?  Obviously the system might or might not be safe depending
on how well it was implemented, but I, for one, wouldn't be *inherently*
prejudiced against the automatic system.  Computer failures are not
necessarily more frequent or more fatal than human error.

And if you agree that people would ride an automated subway, why wouldn't
they use an automatic highway?  Statements like "people will NEVER give
up control of their cars" remind of statements like "people will NEVER
travel faster than thirty miles per hour", etc.

--
"These things are pure science fiction! And yet they are all true."
                                              -M.O. Rabin

ccw@nvuxr.UUCP (christopher wood) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr30.225521.755@husc3.harvard.edu> mason3@husc9.harvard.edu (Richard Mason) writes:

>(And yes, a bug in that automatic system can be fatal: witness
>the Audis that unpredictably lunged into first gear and killed people due
>to a fault in the cruise control chip).

No faults were ever discovered in the Audis.  This is a popular
misconception spread mostly by the media.  The cars lunged forward
because drivers stomped on the gas, thinking it was the brake.  I saw
the woman on 60 minutes: "I pressed harder and harder on the brake, and
the car just kept going faster and faster".  After the accident, no
problems were found with either the cruise control or the brake system
on that car (or what was left, after it was stopped)

It is tragic that people were injured or killed by these incidents, and
it's easy to "blame the engineers" rather than admit that the driver
could have possibly made a mistake that had tragic consequences.
Improved driver education is probably the only answer - If your car
surges forward, take your feet OFF the pedals.  then find the brake, and
stop your car.  (I have tried the following experiment, which convinced
me:  find an large, empty parking lot/road.  Large and empty are the key
words.  Press the accelerator down to the floor.  Car starts
accelerating.  Use your other foot to press the brake down hard.  Car
stops, while the throttle is wide open.  Therefore, anyone who claims
that they were pressing the brake as hard as they could, and the car was
not stopping is either: having a failure of the braking system, or
pressing the wrong pedal.  The second symptom, the engine revving all
the way up, makes it easy to figure out what was going on, especially
when the brakes are investigated afterwards.

--
Chris Wood     Bellcore     ...!bellcore!nvuxr!ccw
                         or ccw@nvuxr.cc.bellcore.com

mathew@mantis.co.uk (mathew) (05/01/91)

chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) writes:
> And this in itsself reminds me of the Byte Magazine Summit issue where
> they supposedly gathered "experts" to get their opinions on what
> computing would do in the next decade.  These IDIOTS should have been
> ashamed of themselves!  They said things like tiny computer chips
> implanted under the skin and whatnot.  What a joke!
>
> Enough people would NEVER allow such a thing to happen.  I'd bet with
> one whif of such a thing the ACLU would go mad, and in this one tiny
> case I would support them.

Do you mean that you are against implanting computers into the human body in
general, or that you are against the specific example of planting chips in
people in order to track them?

You say that the idea of implanted computers is a joke. Well, I for one would
love to have some sort of electronic database / diary / alarm unit implanted;
if it had a direct neural connection and allowed me to pull up the
information and overlay it over my field of vision, that would be even
better. And a neural-connected maths co-processor would be wonderful!

I expect a lot of people reading this find the idea disturbing. Well, my
point is that you are over-generalizing to say that nobody will allow such
things to happen.

If you're against implanted *tracking* chips, then the objection is surely a
'civil liberties' one and not a technology-based objection.

>                             The same could be said for a computer
> controlled freeway system.  One of the best things about driving a car
> is "driving the car".  People are never going to want to give up the
> freedom of controlling the vehicle themselves, and I do mean NEVER!

Again, you are overgeneralizing. I would be much happier travelling by car if
the car were controlled by a computer system to make it more efficient and
safer. I love travelling by train, and trains are completely out of my
control.

>                                                            I know of
> NOBODY, including myself, that I would trust to write an application
> that had my very life in its hands so completely.

I can only assume that you never travel by plane, because modern planes like
the 767 are have many vital functions entirely computer-controlled for a large
part of the journey. And, of course, the air traffic control systems rely
heavily on computerization.

>                                                   Have you ever of an
> application that was completely free of bugs?

Have you ever heard of a car that was completely free from design defects?

It's not the presence of faults which is important, it's their number, and
how frequently and severely they manifest themselves. Formal software
development techniques are useful in ensuring that faults are acceptably rare
and cause the systems concerned to fail in a reasonably safe way.

> >How would we combat it?
>
> Fight it before it IS implemented.

What's your alternative?  Remember, you can't carry on with everyone owning
his own car and driving it himself. Your state will be probably be paralyzed
by the end of the century if you do.

mathew

--
mathew - mathew@mantis.co.uk or mcsun!ukc!ibmpcug!mantis!mathew

seaotter@athena.mit.edu (Amazing Stace) (05/01/91)

isr@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Michael S. Schechter - ISR group account) writes:
>I mean if terrorists wanted to cause massive traffic jams and accidents
>they could simply use the traffic light strobe controllers.

Or more simply, blow up enough overpasses/onramps/whatever.
Why be so complicated?  Better yet, set off a nice big'un in
a tunnel -- Lincoln Tunnel in NY, for example?

Ciao,
  Mike
--
|     Mike Zraly (the old ssrat)     |  ...if the church put in half the time |
|                                    |  on covetousness that it does on lust, |

rjm@vulcan.anu.edu.au (Robert J. McArthur) (05/02/91)

In article <16@nvuxr.UUCP> ccw@nvuxr.UUCP (22456-christopher wood) writes:
>No faults were ever discovered in the Audis.  This is a popular
>misconception spread mostly by the media.  The cars lunged forward
>because drivers stomped on the gas, thinking it was the brake.  I saw

Fault or design error?  Is there a difference?  If the design of the pedals
were such that an "average driver" would mistake the accelerator for the
brake pedal, then IMHO there is a design fault.

Robert
--
Robert McArthur			Centre for Resource and Environment Studies
	     				     Australian National University

gordon@sneaky.lonestar.org (Gordon Burditt) (05/02/91)

>Basically, such a system would involve computer guided autos, and a network
>of machines that control the network under the roadway.  This would mean that
>a network of computers (non-motile) would be controling and "conversing"
>with a large number of moving computers.  All in all, a much considered
>concept, nothing new here.
>I wonder, however, if these designers have given any thought to the potential
>for techno terror.  A "dick dastardly" finagles the computer in one
>sector of the system to change the destination of each vehicle passing through
>its control. The contollers would have to be able to re-route traffic around
>problems.  Or a High-tech assasin targets one car and sets a program that
>alters its destination every few seconds/minutes.  The victim car becomes the
>fellow who was lost on the MTA, forever going nowhere at top speed.  -Boy!

I'd worry a lot more about (1) bugs, and (2) official tampering with
the system.  For example, if the car is reported stolen, or the owner
supposedly has unpaid parking tickets (like from 10 minutes ago), or is
wanted for a crime, or he's disputing his property taxes and hasn't
paid them yet, his vehicle (with someone, not necessarily the owner,
in it) ends up at the police station.  People who annoy the mayor
get home by going the long way around the city several times.
Suspected drug dealers and people from the "bad" part of town find
they can't get to the "good" parts, only out of town and back to where
they came from.  Of course, they could use the slow, non-automated route.

					Gordon L. Burditt
					sneaky.lonestar.org!gordon

cirby@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (((((C.Irby))))) (05/03/91)

In article <1991May2.033644.4529@newshost.anu.edu.au>, rjm@vulcan.anu.edu.au (Robert J. McArthur) writes:
> In article <16@nvuxr.UUCP> ccw@nvuxr.UUCP (22456-christopher wood) writes:
>>No faults were ever discovered in the Audis.  This is a popular
>>misconception spread mostly by the media.  The cars lunged forward
>>because drivers stomped on the gas, thinking it was the brake.  I saw...

> Fault or design error?  Is there a difference?  If the design of the pedals
> were such that an "average driver" would mistake the accelerator for the
> brake pedal, then IMHO there is a design fault.

No... the design of the pedals was fine... the last I heard of it was that
it was 'dumb driver in fast car' error... The whole thing was started by
someone who had a self-caused accident, and the news took it from there.

The Government even cleared Audi...

--
|        C Irby       cirby@vaxb.acs.unt.edu        cirby@untvax         |
|  Between the politicians, the lawyers, the bureaucrats, the insurance  |

luke@modus.sublink.ORG (Luciano Mannucci) (05/03/91)

In article <1991Apr30.225521.755@husc3.harvard.edu>, mason3@husc9.harvard.edu (Richard Mason) writes:

> An automated highway system would be just another step along the same lines.

And

in article <1991Apr30.211635.8083@rodan.acs.syr.edu>, isr@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Michael S. Schechter - ISR group account) says:

> I see no particular problem, other than some people LIKE to drive.
> (personally i would HATE this system, i enjoy zipping thru traffic)

I agree. Some people LIKE to drive (me too), but once accepted, the
driving automation cannot be stopped. The fact that a driver likes
it or not is meaningless: once computer-driven, the car circulation
will be to fast to be human operated, soon or later.

luke.
--
  _ _           __             Via Aleardo Aleardi, 12 - 20154 Milano (Italy)
 | | | _  _|   (__             PHONE : +39 2 3315328 FAX: +39 2 3315778
 | | |(_)(_||_|___) Srl        E-MAIL: luke@modus.sublink.ORG
______________________________ Software & Services for Advertising & Marketing

baumgard@UHUNIX.UHCC.HAWAII.EDU (Jon Baumgardner) (05/04/91)

I like to drive too.  I don't like to stop and go at a mximum of 15 MPH for
1/2 hour in the morning.  I always get bored and eat breakfast, read, listen
to the radio, or stare at the blond bombshell three lanes over.  If I vould
get on the highway, and get to work in under 30 minutes (its only 8 miles!)
without having to shift gears 200 times it would be great!  There are accidents
almost every day because someone thinks another lane will be faster and they
edge and squease (sp) their way into the next lane while the person being edged
in on gets irate and tail gates them.  Even at a constant 16 MPH it would be
less stressful and I could stay in one gear.
We already have a computer system that counts cars on major (non highway)
cross walk lights, a controlled highway seems like the next step.  We already
have a 12 minute traffic report from a helicopter cop also.  Maybe LED
road signs describing the next major accident or estimated time of arrival
to the next off ramp would help people calm down.
arteries and controls the stop lights and even w

kiam.choo@rose.uucp (KIAM CHOO) (05/05/91)

From: kiam.choo@utoronto.ca

MA>You say that the idea of implanted computers is a joke. Well, I for one wou
MA>love to have some sort of electronic database / diary / alarm unit implante
MA>if it had a direct neural connection and allowed me to pull up the
MA>information and overlay it over my field of vision, that would be even
MA>better. And a neural-connected maths co-processor would be wonderful!

Same here. But, in the last sentence, "co-brain" might be a more
suitable word than "co-processor".

kiam
---

mason3@husc9.harvard.edu (Richard Mason) (05/05/91)

In article <982@modus.sublink.ORG> luke@modus.sublink.ORG (Luciano Mannucci) writes:

>> I see no particular problem, other than some people LIKE to drive.
>> (personally i would HATE this system, i enjoy zipping thru traffic)
>
>I agree. Some people LIKE to drive (me too), but once accepted, the
>driving automation cannot be stopped. The fact that a driver likes
>it or not is meaningless: once computer-driven, the car circulation
>will be to fast to be human operated, soon or later.

It's not necessarily true that the super-fast computerized cars will force
all human drivers to conform and give up control of their cars.  After all,
not every sidestreet, back alley and farm road in America is going to be
automated.  At most, I expect a few central highways might be turned over
to computer control, and perhaps just a single lane on those highways (if
the cars can travel three feet apart at 90 mph, that's all you need!)

So old cars and non-conformists aren't forced to participate -- if you
like to drive and don't want to be flattened by a superfast automatic truck,
just stay out of the computer-controlled lane.

--
"These things are pure science fiction! And yet they are all true."
                                              -M.O. Rabin
Richard Mason | mason3@husc9.harvard.edu | All opinions are my own.

frank@grep.co.uk (Frank Wales) (05/07/91)

Richard Mason:
>So old cars and non-conformists aren't forced to participate -- if you
>like to drive and don't want to be flattened by a superfast automatic truck,
>just stay out of the computer-controlled lane.

In the same way that pedestrians are barred from motorway-class roads
(Interstate highways, etc.), the "locally-driven" traffic must be separate
from the "remotely-driven", or there will be disasters waiting to happen on
every major road.  Assuming that a completely safe computer-controlled
system for traffic could be built, one of the things which is necessary
to maintain safety is control over its operating environment.  It seems to
me that the only practical way to do this is to have a physically enforced
separation, or one drunk driver or car with a blowout would be all it would
take to orphan a neighborhoodful of children.

Having said that, I don't think there's a good reason to object to the
*principle* of controlled traffic flow; it's kind of like being in a taxi,
just the driver is elsewhere.  All you have to do is be able to trust the
driver, and that's merely an absolutely staggering implementation problem.
--
Frank Wales, Grep Limited,             [frank@grep.co.uk<->uunet!grep!frank]
Kirkfields Business Centre, Kirk Lane, LEEDS, UK, LS19 7LX. (+44) 532 500303

gordon@sneaky.lonestar.org (Gordon Burditt) (05/07/91)

>Do you mean that you are against implanting computers into the human body in
>general, or that you are against the specific example of planting chips in
>people in order to track them?

>I expect a lot of people reading this find the idea disturbing. Well, my
>point is that you are over-generalizing to say that nobody will allow such
>things to happen.

>If you're against implanted *tracking* chips, then the objection is surely a
>'civil liberties' one and not a technology-based objection.

There already are external tracking devices in popular use.  People
carry them around voluntarily.  They provide a perceived benefit to the
people who carry them unrelated to tracking, and many probably don't
realize the tracking capability is there.  These people even *PAY MONEY*
for the tracking devices.  The actual amount of tracking being done is
unknown.

					Gordon L. Burditt
					sneaky.lonestar.org!gordon

P.S. Cellular phones may not be very *GOOD* tracking devices, but they
can be located within a few miles.

AUGUST@VLSI.JPL.NASA.GOV (Richard B. August) (05/07/91)

Computers have been implanted in some animals (cows in particular) since
the late '70s.  We developed a system where a temperature measurement
processor was implanted under the cow's skin.  Each processor had a unique
number.  When the cows came in to be milked they walked through a door which
housed a transmitter/receiver set/antenna.  The temperature of the cow was
transmitted to the central (via RF) and the temperature/health/production
of the individual cow was made available to the farmer.

The risk of this type of imbeded computer is that it could be used to monitor
a person's travel/whereabouts.  A definite invasion of one's privacy.

Richard B. August
august@vlsi.jpl.nasa.gov

ari@Mordor.Stanford.EDU (Ari Ollikainen) (05/07/91)

I'm somewhat surprised that no one has commented on the potentially
disasterous failure mode associated with proposed designs of automated
highways: NO provision for vehicles stopping due to mechanical failure or
running out of fuel!

If the system doesn't power the vehicles it controls AND the power CAN
be interrupted then the vehicle MAY become an uncontrolled obstacle in
a fast moving stream of otherwise controlled vehicles. Imagine the
repercussions of the system deciding to decelerate ALL traffic to avoid
damage to the uncontrolled obstacle...Would the automated system just hand
control of vehicles in the vicinity of the stalled vehicle back to the
drivers and expect them to deal with the "perturbation" in flow?

Before thinking about the possible effects of techno terrorism, I suggest
we consider the elements necessary in the design and implementation of
automated systems to make them operate safely in obvious failure situations...

Ari Ollikainen
Networking Technology Analyst
ESnet/NERSC
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Ari@Pohjola.NERSC.GOV

fraser@edc.UUCP (Fraser Orr) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May4.223805.847@husc3.harvard.edu>, mason3@husc9.harvard.edu (Richard Mason) writes:

|> At most, I expect a few central highways might be turned over
|> to computer control, and perhaps just a single lane on those highways (if
|> the cars can travel three feet apart at 90 mph, that's all you need!)

You might all be interested to know that these highways already exist.
They are called railroads :^> (And they use up a lot less of the earth,
such as gas, and atmosphere).

==Fraser Orr <fraser@edc.uucp> +44 506 416778x206
UseNet: {uunet,sun}!atexnet!fraser JANet: fraser%edc@cs.hw.ac.uk

lev@slced1.nswses.navy.mil (Lloyd E Vancil) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May7.003221.8585@morrow.stanford.edu> ari@Mordor.Stanford.EDU (Ari Ollikainen) writes:
>I'm somewhat surprised that no one has commented on the potentially
>disasterous failure mode associated with proposed designs of automated
>highways: NO provision for vehicles stopping due to mechanical failure or
>running out of fuel!
In the article I was reading that was stated.  The proposed vehicle is
powered from the roadway.  I believe my original post implied the same,
"going nowhere at top speed forever."

>If the system doesn't power the vehicles it controls AND the power CAN
>be interrupted then the vehicle MAY become an uncontrolled obstacle in
>a fast moving stream of otherwise controlled vehicles. Imagine the
>repercussions of the system deciding to decelerate ALL traffic to avoid
>damage to the uncontrolled obstacle...Would the automated system just hand
>control of vehicles in the vicinity of the stalled vehicle back to the
>drivers and expect them to deal with the "perturbation" in flow?

  Such forseable, in a sense predictable, failures would be provided for.
Ninty-nine percent of The Troubles, to misquote Murphy, will be caused by
insignificant failures.

  The potential for failures due intentional intervention by person(s) unnamed
at the time of the beginning of the system will be trivialized, (can't happen-
a variant of the NIMBY synndrom ;-]),  yet any failure will be non trivial
to the people involved.  Further, if the idea that the failure is caused by
outside forces became part of the social meme, some large part of the public
might refuse to use the system.

>Before thinking about the possible effects of techno terrorism, I suggest
>we consider the elements necessary in the design and implementation of
>automated systems to make them operate safely in obvious failure situations...

What's obvious to us now will be old hat tomorrow.  What is fiction to us
now will be reality tomorrow.  What we haven't thought of,  ah, there's the
rub.   -LV :=>

--
 | suned1!lev@elroy.JPL.Nasa.Gov | * S.T.A.R.S.!   .       +      o       |
 | lev@suned1.nswses.navy.mil    | The Revolution has begun!   .     +    |
 | sun!suntzu!suned1!lev         | My Opinions are Mine mine mine hahahah!|

luke@modus.sublink.ORG (Luciano Mannucci) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May4.223805.847@husc3.harvard.edu>, mason3@husc9.harvard.edu (Richard Mason) writes:

              [ quite reasonable stuff deleted for brevity ]

> So old cars and non-conformists aren't forced to participate -- if you
> like to drive and don't want to be flattened by a superfast automatic truck,
> just stay out of the computer-controlled lane.

Sure. I'm awaiting a no admittance road sign stating: "fast lane -
computer-operated only", one of those days.
I wonder what it will look like.

luke.