[comp.society.futures] the interface for the rest of us?

reg@lti2.UUCP (Rick Genter x18) (05/02/91)

I recently read an article in the March '91 issue of MacUser that
reviews PenPoint, GO Corporation's pen-based operating system.  The
user interface is (or can be) entirely pen-driven.  PenPoint supports
an optional keyboard, but its use is discouraged.

Is this really "the interface for the rest of us"?  PenPoint 1.0 requires
that all written input be printed - no cursive writing.  I assume that
this will be overcome in future releases (or with future technology),
but even so, a handwriting interface strikes me as, well, cumbersome.

The "pen" also strikes me as cumbersome; it's one more thing I have to
worry about breaking/losing/maintaining/whatever.  Some of the features
of PenPoint aside from character input ("flicking" to scroll or page
through a document, and "tapping" to press a button) are nice, but can
also be accomplished through a touch screen without the nuisance of a
pen.

So what's the win?  After reading the article, I concluded that PenPoint
will be good for a limited set of applications, usually revolving around
filling out forms in a non-time-critical environment.  I can not see how
PenPoint would ever provide a comfortable environment for a "power" user,
or even for the everyday user.

How do others feel?
					- reg
---
Rick Genter					reg%lti.uucp@bu.edu
Language Technology, Inc.

jaguar@arkham.wimsey.bc.ca (Jeremy Reimer) (05/03/91)

reg@lti2.UUCP (Rick Genter x18) writes:

> I recently read an article in the March '91 issue of MacUser that
> reviews PenPoint, GO Corporation's pen-based operating system.  The
> user interface is (or can be) entirely pen-driven.  PenPoint supports
> an optional keyboard, but its use is discouraged.
>
> Is this really "the interface for the rest of us"?  PenPoint 1.0 requires
> that all written input be printed - no cursive writing.  I assume that
> this will be overcome in future releases (or with future technology),
> but even so, a handwriting interface strikes me as, well, cumbersome.
>
> The "pen" also strikes me as cumbersome; it's one more thing I have to
> worry about breaking/losing/maintaining/whatever.  Some of the features
> of PenPoint aside from character input ("flicking" to scroll or page
> through a document, and "tapping" to press a button) are nice, but can
> also be accomplished through a touch screen without the nuisance of a
> pen.
>
> So what's the win?  After reading the article, I concluded that PenPoint
> will be good for a limited set of applications, usually revolving around
> filling out forms in a non-time-critical environment.  I can not see how
> PenPoint would ever provide a comfortable environment for a "power" user,
> or even for the everyday user.
>
> How do others feel?

I think it will find a limited market in people who work in places where a
computer would otherwise not be convenient - someone checking out cars for
insurance purposes, or anyone who might normally carry around a clipboard and
pen with them might do well with the PenPoint system instead - they would not
have to do much writing, hopefully, as this is one of the main weaknesses of
the unit.  That and its high price.  I know doctors who would love a way to
enter in something on a pad computer and have the data instantly linked to a
desktop PC without having a secretary type in tons of little numbers.

I don't think you'll see too many of them, though, despite the press.  Think
about it:

1) The Clipboard:

Cost: $1.95
Durability: Drop it, smash it, do anything to it,it will survive
Compatability: Unlimited for anyone who speaks the same language
Transportability: Excellent
Expandability: as many sheets of paper as you want

2) The PenPoint system

Cost: Around $6000
Durability: Drop it, the LCD screen cracks, and it's toast
Compatability: Limited depending on software available
Transportability: Good, but don't lose the pen
Expandability: On-board memory limited

Which would you rather have?

. . . . . ._)_--_              \|/
 . . . . / *    ]\            -=*=-     Look out! The black stuntship's about
  . . . =___    __|            /|\           to crash into the sun!
           "----     ====================================
Jeremy Reimer, aka   =====jaguar@arkham.wimsey.bc.ca=====   Sunny Vancouver BC
The Jaguar.  The Car ====================================   Canada, where it's
the Cat, the Lunatic George: What time is it?               fun, fun, fun...
-------------------- Edmund: Three o'clock in the afternoon ------------------
THE COMFY CHAIR?!?!  George: Oh thank GOD for that I thought I'd overslept!

mh2f+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Mark Hahn) (05/03/91)

there may be a market for technophobes in this country,
but pens are practically a necessity for ideographic writing, like Japan.
currently, the state of the art for typing kanji is to enter
an English transcription, which is then converted into the Japanese
syllabic alphabet (kana) and finally into Kanji (the latter
is a many-many mapping.) not surprisingly, vast categories
of the software market in Japan are sparse, since there's no general
demand for such a clumsy system.

regards, mark

jwtlai@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Jim W Lai) (05/03/91)

In article <9105021606.AA26962@lti2.lti.uucp> reg@lti2.UUCP (Rick Genter x18) writes:
>I recently read an article in the March '91 issue of MacUser that
>reviews PenPoint, GO Corporation's pen-based operating system.  The
>user interface is (or can be) entirely pen-driven.

>So what's the win?  After reading the article, I concluded that PenPoint
>will be good for a limited set of applications, usually revolving around
>filling out forms in a non-time-critical environment.  I can not see how
>PenPoint would ever provide a comfortable environment for a "power" user,
>or even for the everyday user.

I suspect users of ideographic languages would find it more useful.
Sony has a "palmtop" computer, whose interface involves a stylus.
I know it was released in Japan, but I haven't kept up with the North
American market as of late.

caroma@ai.mit.edu (Carl R. Manning) (05/03/91)

In article <m80c22w164w@arkham.wimsey.bc.ca> jaguar@arkham.wimsey.bc.ca (Jeremy Reimer) writes:

   ... [Go Penpoint machines] ...

   I don't think you'll see too many of them, though, despite the press.  Think
   about it:

   1) The Clipboard:

   Cost: $1.95
   Durability: Drop it, smash it, do anything to it,it will survive
   Compatability: Unlimited for anyone who speaks the same language

Unfortunately, computers often don't, and so if you want to use
information technology to manage the info written down, whether on
forms or notepaper, there is another translation step.

   Transportability: Excellent
   Expandability: as many sheets of paper as you want

And are willing to carry around with you.

   2) The PenPoint system

   Cost: Around $6000

Currently high, but will come down.

   Durability: Drop it, the LCD screen cracks, and it's toast
   Compatability: Limited depending on software available
   Transportability: Good, but don't lose the pen
   Expandability: On-board memory limited

Will be less limiting when networking is added.

It looks like you're attacking the current implementation, which is
fine---but don't confuse the current implementation with the reasons
behind the excitement over the development of this technology.  My
impressions about this excitement are:

 o The current GO Penpoint machine is targetted at developers who want
   to develop and test applications for Penpoint in anticipation of a
   blossoming market.  I don't think Go is planning on marketing its
   machine at all to the mass market; instead it is marketing Penpoint
   to many manufacturers who are developing their own (hopefully
   cheaper) Penpoint machines.

 o Penpoint machines open up information technology to many new
   markets where workers must be standing and walking around in their
   work.  They may not seem useful for people who work at a desk and
   can type.  However, a clipboard interface may be more flexible and
   much easier to use when standing than a laptop or a pushbutton
   palmtop.  The opening of a large new market is an important
   opportunity (for both impact on society and profitability).

 o Penpoint machines will soon be integrated with local and wide area
   wireless networks, similar to those already in use in the machines
   used by FedEx drivers and IBM support technicians.  In this
   information age, I don't need to tell you how important quick
   transmission of and access to new, up-to-date information can be
   for many applications.  Wireless information networks (WIN?) enable
   not only client-server applications (communicating with home-base
   database) but also peer-to-peer applications such as transmitting
   notes, slides, etc., among the machines of people in a meeting, at
   a conference, or mingling and making contacts.  (Smaller versions
   with a convenient enough interface may replace the time-planners,
   notebooks, etc. many people carry around.)

 o The pen interface may be better suited for languages whose written
   form is not based on a small alphabet suitable for keyboards (as
   others have already mentioned), thus potentially opening up markets
   for more basic computing services in other parts of the world.

So yes, you may not see too many of them in the next 6 months, and may
never see many of the GO machines in particular.  If you're reading
netnews, there's probably a good chance your work is at a deskbound
networked workstation, so you may not have much need for one.  But
many people see the Penpoint technology as opening up many new markets
in the next few years, and are excited by these opportunities.

Just my impressions.

Cheers,

CarlManning@ai.mit.edu

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) (05/04/91)

reg@lti2.UUCP (Rick Genter x18) writes:
> I recently read an article in the March '91 issue of MacUser that
> reviews PenPoint, GO Corporation's pen-based operating system.  The
> user interface is (or can be) entirely pen-driven.  PenPoint supports
> an optional keyboard, but its use is discouraged.
>
> Is this really "the interface for the rest of us"?...

I suspect the novelty of a "writing" interface will wear thin pretty
quickly for anyone who has to enter a lot of information.

This past weekend, I had to hand-write a lot of material for the first time
in years.  (I've normally got my hands on a keyboard for 8-10 hours a day.)
Sheesh, my hand is *still* sore, and it's Friday!  I've only now realized
how much more work (and how much slower) it is to hand-write than to type.

There are some obvious applications (mentioned in other followups) for a
pen interface, but I think it's a lot more of an interface for specialized
situations than the "wave of the future" some folks seem to think.

Perhaps a pen interface will help bootstrap the keyboard-phobic?  That is,
they could start with a pen and move to a keyboard once they're more com-
fortable.
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   ...If you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind.

mh2f+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Mark Hahn) writes:
> ...pens are practically a necessity for ideographic writing, like Japan.
> currently, the state of the art for typing kanji is to enter
> an English transcription, which is then converted into the Japanese
> syllabic alphabet (kana) and finally into Kanji (the latter
> is a many-many mapping.)...

It does seem clumsy to our alphabet-oriented minds, but I don't think it's
quite as bad as Mark makes it seem.  With a Japanese keyboard, you don't
need to start with romaji; the kana are already on the keyboard.  That
reduces the number of keystrokes by about a factor of two from what Mark
explains.  The typical action is to type two or three kana and hit a special
"convert" key to get the kanji.  The many-many problem Mark mentions is
handled as follows:  normally "convert" gives you the most-likely kanji for
which you've just entered the pronunciation (kana).  If that's not the
right one, you hit "convert" again to get the next possibility.  The con-
venience of this method is critically dependent on the frequency with which
the "right" kanji is presented first.

Still, after all, it takes a few keystrokes to get a kanji, and a "word" as
we conceive it is typically one or two kanji.  The number of keystrokes to
express a given thought should be comparable between kanji entered as above
and English; it's certainly within a factor of two.

On the other side, I would expect recognition algorithms for kanji to be
pretty accurate, since there is a lot of convention for the order and
direction the strokes are made...the problem of recognizing as it is
written looks (from a naive view:-) to be considerably easier than an OCR
problem.

But I wonder what the actual ratio of writing:typing speed is for kanji...
and I also wonder what future developments might help one or the other.
Just for example, would contextual analysis help the probability of
presenting the right kanji first in the keyboard method?  (As far as I
know, existing methods use strictly static ordering of kana->kanji
mappings, although my info could be out of date.  Anyone know otherwise?)
--

mccoy@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Jim Mccoy) (05/05/91)

In article <1991May3.204023.6661@ico.isc.com>, rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
|> reg@lti2.UUCP (Rick Genter x18) writes:
|> > I recently read an article in the March '91 issue of MacUser that
|> > reviews PenPoint, GO Corporation's pen-based operating system.  The
|> > user interface is (or can be) entirely pen-driven.  PenPoint supports
|> > an optional keyboard, but its use is discouraged.
|> >
|> > Is this really "the interface for the rest of us"?...
|>
|> I suspect the novelty of a "writing" interface will wear thin pretty
|> quickly for anyone who has to enter a lot of information.
|>
|> This past weekend, I had to hand-write a lot of material for the first time
|> in years.  (I've normally got my hands on a keyboard for 8-10 hours a day.)
|> Sheesh, my hand is *still* sore, and it's Friday!  I've only now realized
|> how much more work (and how much slower) it is to hand-write than to type.

What if they already enter a lot of information by pen and paper?  I
can point out a HUGE market for thkese machines if/when they ever drop
in price:  education.   As a college student, I would kill for one of
those machines right now.  I write many pages of notes by hand, use
several notebooks for different classes.  I can write notes by hand
much faster than anyone I have ever known can type, and my notes have
spatial and visual cues that your would find difficult to reproduce if
just using a keyboard.

|> There are some obvious applications (mentioned in other followups) for a
|> pen interface, but I think it's a lot more of an interface for specialized
|> situations than the "wave of the future" some folks seem to think.

The pen based interface has a much greater chance of being accepted by
the masses than a keyboard.  It is something they use every day,
something they will easily assimilate into their everyday routine.
Most people on this planet have no idea how to type faster than
hunt-and-peck, but a lot more of them can use a pen to write with.

|> Perhaps a pen interface will help bootstrap the keyboard-phobic?  That is,
|> they could start with a pen and move to a keyboard once they're more com-
|> fortable.

No one will go back.  Once the pen-based interfaces arrive you will
see massive changes once the machines acheive critical mass.  For
example, apply some of the abstract forms of your arguments to the
introduction of the Mac and see its impact now; people said many of
the same things about the Mac, but no one can deny the impact visual
computing and "window interfaces" has had.  It is kind of interesting,
but I think that every statement you made in your followup was at one
time given as a reason why the Mac and window based computing would
never catch on....

jim

--
Jim McCoy                          |  "I'd love to stay and chat, but I'm
mccoy@acns.nwu.edu                 |   having an old friend for dinner."

torek@HORSE.EE.LBL.GOV (Chris Torek) (05/05/91)

I rarely comment on anything that appears on this list---my crystal
ball has been out of order for years---but this talk of making computers
act like pen-and-paper reminds me of something I posted to comp.editors
just three days ago.  I will reproduce it here, with the caveat that
I do not know whether emulating pen-and-paper is an example of what I
am talking about.  Only time will tell.

I will note here that at least some forms of shorthand are ambiguous,
requiring someone who understands the language and/or remembers part
of the conversation to transcribe into `long form'.  A coarse peach
is Sam big you us two. :-)

Chris

[excerpt from article <12686@dog.ee.lbl.gov>]

Whenever a new technology comes into existence, people spend an
enormous amount of effort on making it look like previous technologies,
with ridiculous (and often hilarious) results.  It takes time, and
often the retirement of those with inflexible minds, for the technology
to acquire its own `natural' model.  (Some would use the word
`paradigm' here, but `paradigm' means `example': in particular, an
example that is used to illustrate the underlying model.)

For a long time automobiles were considered `horseless carriages' and
much effort was put into making them look and act like carriages-
without-horses.

If someone had been able to figure out how to `blow out' electric
lights, you would have had to pick up the chimney on your lamp, rather
than turn the switch.

The standard answer on picking up the telephone was once `Ahoy'.
(People thought of telephones as speaking tubes, like those found on
ships.)

It all boils down to the fact that using an existing object as a
reference model makes it easier to `think about' the new technology,
but it also acts as a trap: it keeps people from considering
alternatives.

v092pxca@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (Paul D Fly) (05/05/91)

In article <9105021606.AA26962@lti2.lti.uucp>, reg@lti2.UUCP (Rick Genter x18) writes...
>I recently read an article in the March '91 issue of MacUser that
>reviews PenPoint, GO Corporation's pen-based operating system.  The
>user interface is (or can be) entirely pen-driven.  PenPoint supports
>an optional keyboard, but its use is discouraged.
>
>Is this really "the interface for the rest of us"?  PenPoint 1.0 requires
>(stuff deleted)

I can type a lot faster and with more comfort then I can write...and I never
even learned how to type!

Paul Fly

chou@steelhead.cs.washington.edu (Pai Hsiang Chou) (05/05/91)

In article <9105021606.AA26962@lti2.lti.uucp> reg@lti2.UUCP (Rick Genter x18) writes:
>I recently read an article in the March '91 issue of MacUser that
>reviews PenPoint, GO Corporation's pen-based operating system.  The
>user interface is (or can be) entirely pen-driven.  PenPoint supports
>an optional keyboard, but its use is discouraged.
>
>Is this really "the interface for the rest of us"?
>The "pen" also strikes me as cumbersome; it's one more thing I have to
>worry about breaking/losing/maintaining/whatever.
>So what's the win?  After reading the article, I concluded that PenPoint
>will be good for a limited set of applications, usually revolving around
>filling out forms in a non-time-critical environment.  I can not see how
>PenPoint would ever provide a comfortable environment for a "power" user,
>or even for the everyday user.
>
>How do others feel?

I don't think the pen interface will replace keyboard in
what we know as computers today; rather, it will fill the
gaps that are not covered by keyboard and mouse, particulary
in portable applications.

A keyboard is something that really can't be miniaturized
too much.  A tiny, calculator-sized keyboard is simply unusable.
A standard sized keyboard takes up a significant amount of space.

To input graphics, you need either a mouse or a pen.  A mouse
requires a flat surface, or you can use a trackball, but again,
neither can be easily miniaturized.  Some alternative mouse devices
like a sliding/rolling bar (I forget the name) may save space,
but they are not as natural as a pen for inputting quick and dirty
graphics.

By eliminating the keyboard and the mouse, you can use the
space for more screen area and battery pack which are two
valuable resources in a notebook computer.

We are used to the one centralized computer model, but consider the
trend towards distributed computing.  What if you want
to carry several computers, some of which might be special
purpose (e.g. pocket dictionary)?  The Franklyn dictionary
computer is a good example.
The keyboard takes up most of the top surface,
but it is too tiny to be ergonomic.  Yet its display gives you only
two lines at a time -- but I don't want to have to scroll back
and forth to see both the definition and synonyms at the same time.
Then the pen will be a big win in this case.

It would be nice if the same pen can be used on different computers
so that I only have to carry one around, or borrow somebody elses
if I lose mine.  I would rather carry a pen with several keyboardless
notebook computers than several tiny-screened computers, each with
their own keyboard and trackball.

Pai Chou
chou@june.cs.washington.edu

In article <Uc8Btjq00Vpb8IIFME@andrew.cmu.edu> mh2f+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Mark Hahn) writes:
>there may be a market for technophobes in this country,
>but pens are practically a necessity for ideographic writing, like Japan.
>currently, the state of the art for typing kanji is to enter
>an English transcription, which is then converted into the Japanese
>syllabic alphabet (kana) and finally into Kanji (the latter
>is a many-many mapping.) not surprisingly, vast categories
>of the software market in Japan are sparse, since there's no general
>demand for such a clumsy system.
>
>regards, mark

It is NOT a necessity, just easy of learning.

In Taiwan, where traditional Chinese characters are used,
the most popoular input method is a stroke based system
which assigns shapes to the keys, and any character can
be entered using anywhere between 1 to 5 keys, unambiguously.
It is very efficient once mastered.  The champion from a
recent contest was a 17-year-old girl who could enter 190+
Chinese characters a minute.

However, this input method requires about 3 months of training,
so the learning curve is quite high.

Pai Chou
chou@june.cs.washington.edu

mason3@husc9.harvard.edu (Richard Mason) (05/05/91)

Two reasons for using pen technology have already been repeatedly cited:
(1) It's a better input device for many-letter alphabets (not necessarily
    just Japanese -- consider that a mathematician can use a pen to write
    Greek letters, mathematical symbols, etc. without hitting
    or switching to a special font.)

(2) It's more portable than a keyboard and can be used to take notes
    while standing up.

I'd like to add a third reason:
(3) Holding a pen in your hand makes it easy to switch instantly between
    text and graphics, and combine both in the same file/document.
    You can easily scribble a sketch in the margin of your computerized
    notes.  On a keyboard system, you'd have to leave the keyboard and
    reach for your mouse or sketch tablet (and I think the pen is a much
    superior graphics tool to the mouse).

    Also, to return to mathematics again, consider how much easier it
    would be if one could enter equations into a computer in the same
    way one writes them on paper, i.e. with numerators and denominators,
    limit symbols, summation symbols, integration symbols, etc. etc.
    A pen-based system could remove the need for TeX.

So I think there is a case to be made for a pen interface.  Mind you,
for the "interface of the future", my money is still on voice recognition.
;-)

--
"These things are pure science fiction! And yet they are all true."
                                              -M.O. Rabin

gd@geovision.gvc.com (Gord Deinstadt) (05/05/91)

mccoy@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Jim Mccoy) writes:

>What if they already enter a lot of information by pen and paper?  I
>can point out a HUGE market for thkese machines if/when they ever drop
>in price:  education.   As a college student, I would kill for one of
>those machines right now.  I write many pages of notes by hand, use
>several notebooks for different classes.  I can write notes by hand
>much faster than anyone I have ever known can type, and my notes have
>spatial and visual cues that your would find difficult to reproduce if
>just using a keyboard.

Having recently gone back to school, I sympathise... but I can type a lot
faster than I can write.  And I can type in the dark, which is useful
when viewing slides (actually, I can write in the dark too; the problem
is reading it afterwards!).  So if I had the choice I'd take a laptop
with a full-size keyboard.

But I'd want a stylus for entering the graphical bits.

I'd like to type in my exams too.  On one exam I was asked to write
5000 words in 3 hours; my physical limit is about 1200/hour when hand
writing (my fingers just won't move faster).

When I was in school the first time, studying electronics, none of this
was a problem.  Most of my notes were graphical (schematics and charts);
most of my exam time was spent calculating and drawing.  Now I'm taking
humanities things are very different.
--
Gord Deinstadt  gdeinstadt@geovision

andrew@trlamct.trl.oz.au (Andrew Jennings) (05/06/91)

> So what's the win?  After reading the article, I concluded that PenPoint
> will be good for a limited set of applications, usually revolving around
> filling out forms in a non-time-critical environment.  I can not see how
> PenPoint would ever provide a comfortable environment for a "power" user,
> or even for the everyday user.
>
> How do others feel?

You should get hold of a video from the Human Factors Worshop of ACM, I think
it was the 1989 or 1990 conference. Some people from IBM Yorktown Heights
demonstrated a pen type interface. Mostly its useful for drawing diagrams.
You might like to compare how long it takes to draw a rough diagram with a pen
(around 5 minutes) with how long it takes even with a high end desktop publishing
system (around 45 minutes). With the pen you can rough draw and then snap to a
clear line. You can outline a character then snap it to a printed character in
the font of your choice.

See also a recent special issue of Byte on pens and laptops. You can't use a
laptop in a car with a mouse.

As per the cursive script, I think this may take a few more years yet, but it
is by no means impossible. Especially if we train the system only to recognise
<your> handwriting.

a.jennings@trl.oz.au  phone  : 61 3 541 6241 fax : 61 3 543 8863
Andrew Jennings   AI Systems            Telecom Australia Research Labs

brendan@cs.uq.oz.au (Brendan Mahony) (05/06/91)

In <9105042144.AA22495@horse.ee.lbl.gov> torek@HORSE.EE.LBL.GOV (Chris Torek) writes:

>It all boils down to the fact that using an existing object as a
>reference model makes it easier to `think about' the new technology,
>but it also acts as a trap: it keeps people from considering
>alternatives.

Is this a warning about using the "pen and paper" analog or the
"typewriter" keyboard analog?

In essence the computer does not have any "nature" reference model. It
is simply a device for storing and manipulating information. The data is
the thing that has a natural reference model. How you want to relate to
a computer will depend on what sort of information you store in it.
Whether you prefer a WYSIWYG text editor or a page makeup language
depends on whether you are interested in the content of the document or
the way in which it is typeset.

No-one can deny that the typewriter keyboard is efficient at encoding
large amounts of "textual" information. Whether it is right for your
particular application depends on whether your information is
essentially textual (computer control commands are not) and on whether
you have need of rapid information flows. Even if you fulfill these
criteria it is likely that voice recognition is a more useful interface
than the keyboard.

PS If you think computer control is essentially textual try imagining
yourself saying

to a voice recognition system (or a human secretary).

Pen based interfaces will be very useful to people who handle a low volume
of textual information or information that is essentially graphical in
nature or need a non-invasive interface. An effective pen interface would
be infinitely preferrable to a mouse interface for manipulating screen
objects in a GUI.

--
Brendan Mahony                   | brendan@batserver.cs.uq.oz
Department of Computer Science   | heretic: someone who disgrees with you

msucats@att1.Mankato.MSUS.EDU (msucats) (05/06/91)

> Two reasons for using pen technology have already been repeatedly cited:
> (1) It's a better input device for many-letter alphabets (not necessarily
>     just Japanese -- consider that a mathematician can use a pen to write
>     Greek letters, mathematical symbols, etc. without hitting
>     or switching to a special font.)
>
> (2) It's more portable than a keyboard and can be used to take notes
>     while standing up.
>
> I'd like to add a third reason:
> (3) Holding a pen in your hand makes it easy to switch instantly between
>     text and graphics, and combine both in the same file/document.
>     You can easily scribble a sketch in the margin of your computerized
>     notes.  On a keyboard system, you'd have to leave the keyboard and
>     reach for your mouse or sketch tablet (and I think the pen is a much
>     superior graphics tool to the mouse).

I'd like to add a fourth reason:

(4) Not all applications involve enough user input to require a
    keyboard.  Browsing through files and reading netnews, for
    instance, comprise mostly a few, low-bandwidth user responses.  If
    hypertext systems start to show up, it seems likely that they
    would be similar.

    For example, I prefer to absorb information away from my
    workstation, so I tend to print out more documents than I should.
    But if I had a small enough notebook computer (with a big enough
    screen) I'd use it instead of trees.  My threshold for "small
    enough" is "flat and no keyboard," which would limit the amount of
    input I could do.  But if all you're doing is tapping the
    space bar most of the time, who needs a keyboard?  Handwriting
    seems sufficient for most of the email and posting I do.

    In other words, pen-based portables have a niche as surrogate
    books as well as computers.  To this end, it'd be nice if their
    screens were touch-sensitive, so users could "turn the page"
    without grabbing for the pen.

(I want Smalltalk for my pen-portable, but that's another story.)
--
  // Jay Carlson
\X/  msucats@att1.mankato.msus.edu

George.Bray@syd.dit.CSIRO.AU (George Bray) (05/06/91)

GO are doing the right thing licensing their operating system
for many platforms. In the early stages of acceptance this will
foster great price competition among hardware vendors, like Windows
does today.

Wide-area wireless networking, however, may prove difficult
to implement over the muliplicity of operating systems and
protocols we use today.

Nevertheless, I think they will be quite popular.

Notebook computers will be first widely used by consumers,
not producers, of information. The GO book interface is a great
metaphor. Most people are readers.  To quote Chance* (the gardner)...

       "I like to watch..."

When these devices are connected to the wireless networks, there will
be plenty to read. Until then it will be aquired by  drawing, typing, and
'physical' information transfer (floppies & LANs).

Let's face it - the "installed-base" for books and pens is pretty large.
If the GO illusion is anything like the BYTE and MacUSER articles,
they will be inviting people to experiment with a computer using the
tools they already know.

*  Chance The Gardner, played by Peter Sellers in the movie "Being There".

George Bray
CSIRO Division of Information Technology    >         Phone: +61 2 887 9307
PO Box 1599  North Ryde  2113  AUSTRALIA    >           Fax: +61 2 888 7787
Internet:   George.Bray@syd.dit.CSIRO.AU    >    CompuServe:      72711,253

derek@sun4dts.dts.ine.philips.nl (derek) (05/06/91)

I think that the eventual interface must be the touch screen. Most non-
writing interfaces depend on selection. Here then the touch screen
software can bring up the menu, and you just tap the selection you want.

The pen interface is interesting, and can be used in conjunction with the
touch screen for those times when a note is to be input. For word-processing
applications I really don't see it as a solution. How many professional
writers went away from longhand to typewriters to wordprocessors for exactly
this reason? Those that still need to be "in contact" with their work will
continue to use pen and paper and a secretary, the rest will stick to the
keyboard. I'm a writer, and for long text input, as a previous contributor
mentioned, the keyboard is by far the best (i.e. least painful) method to
use.

Best Regards, Derek Carr
DEREK@DTS.INE.PHILIPS.NL           Philips I&E TQV-5 Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Standard Disclaimers apply.

urban%hercules@RAND.ORG (Michael Urban) (05/07/91)

Excerpts from mail: 4-May-91 Re: the interface for the r.. Chris
Torek@horse.ee.lbl (1810)

> Whenever a new technology comes into existence, people spend an
> enormous amount of effort on making it look like previous technologies,
with ridiculous (and often hilarious) results...

I noticed this at TRW years back, when the people who wanted a
`paperless office' really meant filling in forms on screens instead of
on paper.  My comment at that time was that if the automobile had been
designed the way computers are used, the engine would have four legs and
take gasoline-soaked hay through its mouth.  To this day, I think that
computer use took a bad turn somewhere in the late sixties.  Instead of
using computers to re-think office procedures and reduce paperwork and
the amount of data that people have to deal with, we have instead
created an inhumanly overheated demand for data.  The forms that people
fill out are longer and more frequent than they were, say, 20 years ago
(I recently had occasion to look at my father's 1040 for 1971.  Less
paper than my forms, and my father owned a small business).  More memory
and faster processing just means more and bigger forms.

I am, of course, not a Management type, nor have I any expertise in
office procedures.  But, somehow, using computers to do everything the
Same as Always (just More and Faster) seems unimaginative to me...

Hm.  As I was typing that paragraph, my brain threw me an irrelevant and
purely visual image of a placid Imperial Chinese residence in the most
bustling section of Shanghai.  Either I need to get something to eat, or
my subconscious is trying to draw an equation between the incredibly
bureaucratized structure of Imperial China and today's garbage-data
explosion.

	Mike

PS.  If you decide to visit LA during the next six weeks, our
Renaissance Faire runs until 9 June.  I am there on Saturdays.  If you
do somehow manage to contain your eagerness, the Northern California
edition (same management, many of the same cast, and very much the same
show) runs in Marin County in September.

urban%hercules@RAND.ORG (Michael Urban) (05/07/91)

Damn, that last message was intended for Chris Torek, not the list (who
screws the From: lines, anyway)

LL23@NEMOMUS.BITNET (Karen Kay) (05/07/91)

> > Two reasons for using pen technology have already been repeatedly cited:
> > (1) It's a better input device for many-letter alphabets (not necessarily
> >     just Japanese -- consider that a mathematician can use a pen to write
> >     Greek letters, mathematical symbols, etc. without hitting
> >     or switching to a special font.)

I came in in the middle of this conversation, so I may have missed
something, but I thought that the pen interface has proved problematic
for Japanese?  For all the reasons that one might think--letters have
to be written exactly, in a certain fashion, or they become unreadable.
Is this not true?

Karen Kay
Asst. Prof. of Japanese
Northeast Missouri State University
LL23@NEMOMUS

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) (05/07/91)

mccoy@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Jim Mccoy) writes:
   [I had said]
> |> This past weekend, I had to hand-write a lot of material for the first time
> |> in years.  (I've normally got my hands on a keyboard for 8-10 hours a day.)
> |> Sheesh, my hand is *still* sore, and it's Friday!  I've only now realized
> |> how much more work (and how much slower) it is to hand-write than to type.

> ...As a college student, I would kill for one of
> those machines right now.  I write many pages of notes by hand, use
> several notebooks for different classes.  I can write notes by hand
> much faster than anyone I have ever known can type,...

Without pointing it out, we've directly contradicted one another.  I made
my statement about speed rather offhand, without checking it.  After seeing
Jim's note, I decided to test it.  On straight prose, I can type about
twice as fast as I can write.  (This includes time making corrections as I
typed, since I'm not terribly accurate.)  I think the 2x factor matters; I
also think typing is less tiring for the long term.

>...and my notes have
> spatial and visual cues that your would find difficult to reproduce if
> just using a keyboard.

A good point for a pen-type interface...although I'm now wondering how one
goes between the mode where the pen input is textual (you want to write
and have the input scanned into letters and symbols from a known alphabet)
versus graphical (you're drawing a diagram or a doodle, and don't want the
OCR software to try to make sense of it).  I'm not saying it can't be done;
I just wonder how it works.

> The pen based interface has a much greater chance of being accepted by
> the masses than a keyboard.  It is something they use every day,

Assuming the interface is done reasonably well, you may be right.  But
there's also Chris Torek's point, which leads to the following reasoning:
Should we really be comparing computer-made-to-look-like-typewriter with
computer-made-to-look-like-keyboard?  Or should we be looking for a new
model of interaction not constrained to be so similar to an existing one.
Frankly, both keyboard and pen seem fairly primitive.  (We need some imagi-
nation!  Where's Mocsny when you need him?:-)  There's voice as another
form of input, but it's utterly one-dimensional.  (No, I'm not going to
sing to my computer.)

> |> Perhaps a pen interface will help bootstrap the keyboard-phobic?...
> No one will go back.  Once the pen-based interfaces arrive you will
> see massive changes once the machines acheive critical mass...

That's an awfully bold prediction.  It assumes that the pen-based inter-
face can work smoothly and efficiently--I don't doubt that.  But it also
assumes that it will be more effective than the keyboard for most of the
market, which I can't convince myself, and it also assumes that nothing
better comes along in the meantime.

>...For
> example, apply some of the abstract forms of your arguments to the
> introduction of the Mac and see its impact now; people said many of
> the same things about the Mac, but no one can deny the impact visual
> computing and "window interfaces" has had...

You're right, but although the Mac has been successful in its corner,
"visual computing and window interfaces" are still in their infancy in
what some folks like to call the "serious computing" world.

I can see the pen augmenting the keyboard; I can't see it supplanting it.
The analogy to the Mac world is that the visual/pictorial aspects added to
text; they didn't supplant it.
--

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) steps on his thumb:
>...there's also Chris Torek's point, which leads to the following reasoning:
> Should we really be comparing computer-made-to-look-like-typewriter with
> computer-made-to-look-like-keyboard?...

s/keyboard/clipboard/
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   ...If you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind.

) (05/07/91)

chou@steelhead.cs.washington.edu (Pai Hsiang Chou) writes:
> A keyboard is something that really can't be miniaturized
> too much.  A tiny, calculator-sized keyboard is simply unusable.
> A standard sized keyboard takes up a significant amount of space.

Only if you assume one character per key.

> To input graphics, you need either a mouse or a pen.

Or a finger or a trackball or a joystick.

Why do people in this newsgroup make so many assumptions about what is and
what is not acceptable as an input device?

> It would be nice if the same pen can be used on different computers
> so that I only have to carry one around, or borrow somebody elses
> if I lose mine.  I would rather carry a pen with several keyboardless
> notebook computers than several tiny-screened computers, each with
> their own keyboard and trackball.

What on earth do you want several notebook computers for?  I want everything
in the *one* computer, so I can copy a dictionary definition into a piece of
mail, stick a diagram into a diary entry, and so on.

mathew

) (05/07/91)

msucats@att1.Mankato.MSUS.EDU (msucats) writes:
> (I want Smalltalk for my pen-portable, but that's another story.)

Sounds like you want the Active Book. Of course, it remains to be seen
whether the Active Book Company will get their product out the door quickly
enough to avoid having it killed off by GO. They're cutting it very fine.

I wonder if they read this newsgroup?

mathew

markr@and.cs.liv.ac.uk (05/07/91)

> As per the cursive script, I think this may take a few more years yet, but it
> is by no means impossible. Especially if we train the system only to recognise
> <your> handwriting.

This could bring about a revolution in computer security.  Imagine a machine
that ONLY responds to YOUR handwriting.  Instead of "login,password" we could
have "sign here to access your account sir".

:-)

Mark

) (05/07/91)

urban%hercules@RAND.ORG (Michael Urban) writes:
>                                              To this day, I think that
> computer use took a bad turn somewhere in the late sixties.
[...]
>                                                              More memory
> and faster processing just means more and bigger forms.

This is because bureaucracy takes advantage of the new technology in order to
increase its own power and importance, rather than to increase its
efficiency and decrease its impact on our lives.

Bureaucrats ask for data they don't need because they can afford to store it
away in the hope that it will be useful to them at a later date; or because
it makes them look important; or because it allows them to have one enormous
handle-everything form instead of several smaller ones.

Unfortunately, there aren't enough people willing to say "you don't need to
know that".

Example:

I have a standing order set up at my bank to pay the rent on the house I live
in. The set amount is automatically debited from my account each month and
credited to the landlord's account.

Recently, some sort of change required that the rent be increased by 94p. I
went along to the bank, and asked them to make the change.

The drone behind the counter handed me a form. I filled in my name and
address, the name of the destination account and destination bank, and wrote
an instruction to increase the amount by 94p. (I listed both the old amount
and the new amount.)

I signed the form and handed it back. The drone explained that I needed to
fill in my account number and bank sort code, the destination bank account
number and sort code, and the addresses of both banks.

Now, a lot of people would have given in and filled in all that information.
I didn't, partly because I was too lazy to go home and look up the details.

I explained that they had enough information to find my account details --
there can't be that many people called "mathew" in their database, and there
will only be one at the address I had written down. I wasn't giving them any
extra work, since they have to find the details anyway to cancel or amend the
old standing order. And they damn well ought to know their own address
anyway.

The next protest from the drone was that they needed to make sure they didn't
change the wrong standing order. Fair enough; I explained that there were
only two standing orders, that they were to different names and bank
accounts, and that they differed by two orders of magnitude. I had given the
name, bank name and amount, so there was no chance for confusion.

The drone went away and checked with a superior. The superior nodded. I left
them to deal with it.

mathew

chou@steelhead.cs.washington.edu (Pai Hsiang Chou) (05/08/91)

In article <Rm3k21w164w@mantis.co.uk> mathew@mantis.co.uk (CNEWS MUST DIE!) writes:
>chou@steelhead.cs.washington.edu (Pai Hsiang Chou) writes:
>> A keyboard is something that really can't be miniaturized
>> too much.  A tiny, calculator-sized keyboard is simply unusable.
>> A standard sized keyboard takes up a significant amount of space.
>
>Only if you assume one character per key.

no, the keys on today's keyboards are already overloaded.
Shift/Option/Command/Control/...  If you want to go to
the extreme, anything can be input 1 key -- using Morse code!

My point is ergonomic key size.  It has nothing to do
with overloading the keys.  Even a numeric keypad is too
cumbersome in a portable environment.

>> To input graphics, you need either a mouse or a pen.
>
>Or a finger or a trackball or a joystick.
>
>Why do people in this newsgroup make so many assumptions about what is and
>what is not acceptable as an input device?

OK, maybe I should have changed my line to "I would use".
My fingertip isn't sharp enough to give me satisfactory
precision I want.  Besides, I wouldn't want to smear the
display with my fingerprints or scratch it in case I
forget to clip my fingernails.

>What on earth do you want several notebook computers for?  I want everything
>in the *one* computer, so I can copy a dictionary definition into a piece of
>mail, stick a diagram into a diary entry, and so on.

The reasons people today don't want to carry several computers are
1) they are expensive, and not too many people can afford more
   than one.
2) PCs today don't talk to each other very well,
3) they need their own I/O devices (which make them
   cumbersome to carry around).

But since this is a futures discussion group, I don't think we should
be limited to what computers can do today.
(10 years ago, some people were asking "Why would you ever need more than
64K in your personal computer?")

The reason I think several notebooks will be more usable than one
notebook with windows is simple: you can never have enough screen space
(or I should say, "I can always use more screen space").
But there is a limit to how big a screen size can be before it gets too
big to carry.  So the solution is to carry several screens.

Everything is getting more and more computing power.  So a screen in the
future is probably not just a screen any more, but it may have even more
computing power than the most powerful personal computer we know today,
but it may be very cheap.  It will probably have handwriting recognition
and application programs built in to it.  There may or may not be
a central processing unit.  And we will probably not think of them as
a "computer", but probably more like a smart display device.

If you want to cut and paste from one computer to another with a pen,
you might be able to do it with a smart pen which effectively sucks
the data from one screen, stores it in its own memory buffer, and
inject the data into the target screen.
(Who says a pen can't be some sort of computer?)

Why, it might even have a built-in voice recognition chip, and you
can dictate into it, walk around, then click a button on the pen
to paste your words into your document.
(maybe you don't use voice recognition input, but who knows if your
great great grandchildren would even consider using anything else?)
At the same time, your notebooks may communicate with each other by
wireless means, by fiberoptics, or whatever.
I am definitely not thinking in terms of DOS or Macintosh with a
much faster processor in a smaller box.

Pai Chou
chou@june.cs.washington.edu

e-reuter@UIUC.EDU (Erik Reuter) (05/08/91)

Has anyone gotten a UPS package lately?

They seem to be using some new "clipboard" computer. It is mostly a
keyboard, but it has a signature pad that you sign, and the signature shows
up on the little LCD screen above.

The signature part actually works pretty well, even though I would much
prefer to actually write on the screen. The signature doesn't look very
good on the low-res screen. I wonder if it digitizes the signature in more
detail than shows up on the screen, presumably for uploading to the big
computer at the end of the day. It is a little worrisome to have your
signature stored in a computer's memory. I hope they have good security.

I asked the UPS man a few questions, and apparently this was his first day
with the device. Ironically, he was running late, so I didn't get much time
to question him about it. Anyone else have any experiences with it?

  Erik Reuter  e-reuter@uiuc.edu

) (05/08/91)

chou@steelhead.cs.washington.edu (Pai Hsiang Chou) writes:
> In article <Rm3k21w164w@mantis.co.uk> mathew@mantis.co.uk (CNEWS MUST DIE!) w
> >chou@steelhead.cs.washington.edu (Pai Hsiang Chou) writes:
> >> A keyboard is something that really can't be miniaturized
> >> too much.  A tiny, calculator-sized keyboard is simply unusable.
> >> A standard sized keyboard takes up a significant amount of space.
> >
> >Only if you assume one character per key.
>
> no, the keys on today's keyboards are already overloaded.
> Shift/Option/Command/Control/...  If you want to go to
> the extreme, anything can be input 1 key -- using Morse code!

I have a keyboard with five keys and two shifts. It allows me to type all the
characters I need. Remember, you have 32 combinations of 5 keys; combine that
with two shifts and you have enough for the full ASCII character set.

Add a graphics mode / text mode switch and you can do extended ASCII.

> >> To input graphics, you need either a mouse or a pen.
> >
> >Or a finger or a trackball or a joystick.
>
> OK, maybe I should have changed my line to "I would use".
> My fingertip isn't sharp enough to give me satisfactory
> precision I want.  Besides, I wouldn't want to smear the
> display with my fingerprints or scratch it in case I
> forget to clip my fingernails.

Who said anything about using your finger on the *display*?  Look at the
Psion MC machines. They have a fingertip touch-pad.

> >What on earth do you want several notebook computers for?  I want everything
> >in the *one* computer, so I can copy a dictionary definition into a piece of
> >mail, stick a diagram into a diary entry, and so on.
[...]
> The reason I think several notebooks will be more usable than one
> notebook with windows is simple: you can never have enough screen space
> (or I should say, "I can always use more screen space").
> But there is a limit to how big a screen size can be before it gets too
> big to carry.  So the solution is to carry several screens.

...and attach them to the same computer. You still don't need several
computers.

> If you want to cut and paste from one computer to another with a pen,
> you might be able to do it with a smart pen which effectively sucks
> the data from one screen, stores it in its own memory buffer, and
> inject the data into the target screen.
> (Who says a pen can't be some sort of computer?)

I'd rather cut and paste on the same computer -- that way I can have proper
transclusion rather than static inclusion (i.e. when I change the spreadsheet,
the copy in another document can be updated automatically).

> At the same time, your notebooks may communicate with each other by
> wireless means, by fiberoptics, or whatever.

Yes; however, the chances of all the computer manufacturers settling on a
single standard for data interchange, and that standard being a good one,
seem remote.

mathew

Chris.Holt@newcastle.ac.uk (Chris Holt) (05/09/91)

Re the pen vs. keyboard, mouse, bat, etc.:

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:

>Assuming the interface is done reasonably well, you may be right.  But
>there's also Chris Torek's point, which leads to the following reasoning:
>Should we really be comparing computer-made-to-look-like-typewriter with
>computer-made-to-look-like-keyboard?  Or should we be looking for a new
>model of interaction not constrained to be so similar to an existing one.
>Frankly, both keyboard and pen seem fairly primitive.

When screens will be displaying 3D scenes, we're going to need a
way of indicating the depth of what we're pointing at.  One possibility
is a pen that has a depth control; it shows up as an extendable
rod that grows and shrinks as you move the sliding button with
your thumb...
 Chris.Holt@newcastle.ac.uk      Computing Lab, U of Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
 "And when they die by thousands why, he laughs like anything." G Chesterton

gordd@geovision.gvc.com (Gord Deinstadt) (05/09/91)

chou@steelhead.cs.washington.edu (Pai Hsiang Chou) writes:

>The reason I think several notebooks will be more usable than one
>notebook with windows is simple: you can never have enough screen space
>(or I should say, "I can always use more screen space").
>But there is a limit to how big a screen size can be before it gets too
>big to carry.  So the solution is to carry several screens.

IMO the "Private Eye" is a better solution - and it is available now.
This is a tiny device that you wear in front of one eye that projects
an image onto the retina.

The only problem I envision is that the same people who walk around all
day with a Walkman in their ears will also walk around with a Private
Eye over one eye.  But eventually those people will lose touch with
reality entirely, starve to death or whatever, and not bother the rest
of us any more. :-S
--
Gord Deinstadt  gdeinstadt@geovision

brendan@cs.uq.oz.au (Brendan Mahony) (05/09/91)

In <1991May8.173534.26272@newcastle.ac.uk> Chris.Holt@newcastle.ac.uk (Chris Holt) writes:

>When screens will be displaying 3D scenes, we're going to need a
>way of indicating the depth of what we're pointing at.  One possibility
>is a pen that has a depth control; it shows up as an extendable
>rod that grows and shrinks as you move the sliding button with
>your thumb...

Oh while we are talking 3D displays, why not simply let you move your
hand around whithin the display and pick up and use virtual objects such
as pens or keyboards or compasses or rulers or whatever you like.

--

josh@happym.WA.COM (Joshua_Putnam) (05/10/91)

In <9105072254.AA03163@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> e-reuter@UIUC.EDU (Erik Reuter) writes:

>Has anyone gotten a UPS package lately?

>They seem to be using some new "clipboard" computer. It is mostly a
>keyboard, but it has a signature pad that you sign, and the signature shows
>up on the little LCD screen above.

Yes, they are converting to digitized signatures to save time and space at the
main office, or so I'm told.  No need to keep all the paper records.

>The signature doesn't look very
>good on the low-res screen. I wonder if it digitizes the signature in more
>detail than shows up on the screen, presumably for uploading to the big
>computer at the end of the day. It is a little worrisome to have your
>signature stored in a computer's memory. I hope they have good security.

I hope the quality is no better than appears on the screen.  That would
provide better security than most systems I can think of -- anyone who accepts
that grainy a signature would probably accept Don L. Duck's signature, too.
The system does not require a complete signature, however, just a first
initial and last name will do.  I certainly hope nobody would accept an
obviously digitized incomplete signature outside of very narrow circumstances,
like verifying that a package was received.

>I asked the UPS man a few questions, and apparently this was his first day
>with the device. Ironically, he was running late, so I didn't get much time
>to question him about it. Anyone else have any experiences with it?

Our UPS driver was frequently late when they started using the computer
clipboard.  It was not 100% reliable, so he had to switch back to pen & paper
frequently.  Also, the driver apparently has to "clarify" the signature --
enter the name on the keyboard.  They were supposed to do this back in the
days of paper, too, but I believe the computer is more demanding.  (Not all
paper signatures required clarification -- some people actually have legible
handwriting.)

I haven't asked what the drivers are supposed to do when they leave a package
without getting a signature.  I suppose there must be a key for that.

--
 Josh_Putnam@happym.wa.com      Happy Man Corp.  206/463-9399 x102
 4410 SW Pt. Robinson Rd., Vashon Island, WA  98070-7399  fax x108

porten@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jeffrey Porten) (05/10/91)

In article <1271@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au> brendan@cs.uq.oz.au writes:
>Oh while we are talking 3D displays, why not simply let you move your
>hand around whithin the display and pick up and use virtual objects such
>as pens or keyboards or compasses or rulers or whatever you like.

Do you have any idea how hard it would be to get people to use an interface
where they see themselves picking up an object, but receive NO other
tactile feedback?  Sight alone in NO way would be able to give the sort
of input needed to handle objects; could you type if your hands were
entirely numb and you had no way of knowing which keys you hit until
you saw the results?  Extending the Mac interface to this sort of 3D
system, I can just picture thousands of users "fumbling" files into the
trashcan, opening the wrong files, etc.

--
Jeff Porten, Annenberg School for Communication, UPenn
             Graduate Group in American Civilization, UPenn

As per usual, my opinions are my own, not Penn's, Pugwash's, or anyone else's.

cb@zitt (Cyberspace Buddha) (05/10/91)

brendan@cs.uq.oz.au (Brendan Mahony) writes:

> Oh while we are talking 3D displays, why not simply let you move your
> hand around whithin the display and pick up and use virtual objects such
> as pens or keyboards or compasses or rulers or whatever you like.

Ah, the joys of Cyberspace...  Gimme my glove and goggles.

Cyberspace Buddha

de@helios.ucsc.edu (De Clarke) (05/12/91)

More information on "The Private Eye" please!

Manufacturer?  Cost?  Availibility?  Video format?

Known ergo problems due to focussing one eye in a radically
different plane?

: De Clarke, Computing Resources Mgr.	           UCO/Lick Observatory, UCSC :
: de@helios.ucsc.edu   The Regents don't often agree with me nor I with them. :
: de@portal.bitnet              "Praise the Net, and pass the information..." :

bmb@bluemoon.uucp (Bryan Bankhead) (05/12/91)

porten@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jeffrey  Porten) writes:

> In article <1271@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au> brendan@cs.uq.oz.au writes:
> >Oh while we are talking 3D displays, why not simply let you move your
> >hand around whithin the display and pick up and use virtual objects such
> >as pens or keyboards or compasses or rulers or whatever you like.
>
> Do you have any idea how hard it would be to get people to use an interface
> where they see themselves picking up an object, but receive NO other
> tactile feedback?  Sight alone in NO way would be able to give the sort
> of input needed to handle objects; could you type if your hands were
> entirely numb and you had no way of knowing which keys you hit until
> you saw the results?  Extending the Mac interface to this sort of 3D
> system, I can just picture thousands of users "fumbling" files into the
> trashcan, opening the wrong files, etc.
People manage to do some prety sophisticated virtual manipulation in video
games with just visual inuput.  I think people will adapt just fine. Any
system this sophisticated will have the capacity to recover from errors
gracefully.  In any case typing is noth the kind of operations this sort
of system will be used for, but doing system junk.  Just think, being able
to use ALL the mail tools on internet without leafing through a phone book
sized manual.  It would be just like using a GUI only more so.

 This is from
     bmb@bluemoon.uucp
     bmb%bluemoon@nstar.rn.com
who doesn't have their own obnoxious signature yet

isr@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Michael S. Schechter - ISR group account) (05/14/91)

In article <y9JT27w164w@bluemoon.uucp> bmb@bluemoon.uucp (Bryan Bankhead) writes:
>porten@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jeffrey  Porten) writes:
>> In article <1271@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au> brendan@cs.uq.oz.au writes:
>> >Oh while we are talking 3D displays, why not simply let you move your
>> >hand around whithin the display and pick up and use virtual objects such

>> Do you have any idea how hard it would be to get people to use an interface
>> where they see themselves picking up an object, but receive NO other
>> tactile feedback?  Sight alone in NO way would be able to give the sort

>People manage to do some prety sophisticated virtual manipulation in video
>games with just visual inuput.  I think people will adapt just fine. Any
>system this sophisticated will have the capacity to recover from errors
>gracefully.  In any case typing is noth the kind of operations this sort

I agree with Jeffrey Porten, this will be difficult. A video game gives
you tactile feedback, whether it's from feeling how far you have turned
a knob, or how far down a button is pressed, or whatever tactile feedback
you have, there's almost always some...  There's also the problem of
holding your hand/finger above the button, without drifting into it
when your not watching YOUR HAND, instead of something interesting.
This could be simulated by simple force-feedback on the fingers when they
approach within a certain virtual distance of a virtual object. The force
could be dependent on the "hardness" of an object or actuating force
of a virtual 'button'. There's still the problem of drifting, though,
this only warns of possible drift, Ideally you'd like your hand resting on
or grasping your virtual thingummy. This could be done by having the user
have to overcome the force of the feedback actuator/stimulator. This might
make problems, of everything in the VR having a virtual tactile "skin", but
i think it would be better than sticking your hand thru a wall without any
feeling, or pushing oneself away from it w/o any feeling.
Mike_Schechter@isr.syr.edu
--
Mike_Schechter@isr.syr.edu | XLII,B,+3dB,Non-Nak | Make Tapes, Not War

robertj@Autodesk.COM (Young Rob Jellinghaus) (05/14/91)

In article <42908@netnews.upenn.edu> porten@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jeffrey  Porten) writes:
>Do you have any idea how hard it would be to get people to use an interface
>where they see themselves picking up an object, but receive NO other
>tactile feedback?  Sight alone in NO way would be able to give the sort
>of input needed to handle objects; could you type if your hands were
>entirely numb and you had no way of knowing which keys you hit until
>you saw the results?  Extending the Mac interface to this sort of 3D
>system, I can just picture thousands of users "fumbling" files into the
>trashcan, opening the wrong files, etc.

I don't get it.  You get no tactile feedback from using the mouse--the
only feedback is something getting highlighted or selected on the screen.
How is this any different from cyberspace?  You reach out to grab some-
thing and as you touch it it glows brighter?  No ambiguity whatsoever.
Even less, in fact, if you add sound.  Take a look at SonicFinder on the
Mac--as you click on something you hear a tone, dropping something into
the trash can creates a "crash" noise... there's no reason lack of tactile
feedback need impact the usability of a well-designed cyberspace.

--
Rob Jellinghaus                 | "Next time you see a lie being spread or
Autodesk, Inc.                  |  a bad decision being made out of sheer

isr@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Michael S. Schechter - ISR group account) (05/15/91)

In article <4823@autodesk.COM> robertj@Autodesk.COM (Young Rob Jellinghaus) writes:
>I don't get it.  You get no tactile feedback from using the mouse--the
>only feedback is something getting highlighted or selected on the screen.
>How is this any different from cyberspace?  You reach out to grab some-
>thing and as you touch it it glows brighter?  No ambiguity whatsoever.
>Even less, in fact, if you add sound.  Take a look at SonicFinder on the
>Mac--as you click on something you hear a tone, dropping something into
>the trash can creates a "crash" noise... there's no reason lack of tactile
>feedback need impact the usability of a well-designed cyberspace.

As i may not have stressed in a previous followup, it's not so much the
lack of feedback when you do actions - it's the lack of feedback of
position - try this experiment if you have the equipment - using a
sonic stylus or a digitizer tablet hold the stylus/cursor about an
inch off the digitizing surface while the computer is tracking it's
motion. Now look away and talk to someone, for thirty seconds or so
watching neither the screen or device, and your position will probably
have wandered a good .5-2" (more if your elbow is in the air)
Now take a paper clip and bend it so it sticks up in the air..
put it where you where holding the stylus and touch your finger to it
and look away for the same time... your drift will be about .1" maximum
because you'll feel it when you stop touching the paper clip. And it doesn't
take a whole lot a feedback force for this kind of position sensing, as
a paper clip is easily pushed out of position.
--
Mike_Schechter@isr.syr.edu | XLII,B,+3dB,Non-Nak | Make Tapes, Not War

gordd@geovision.gvc.com (Gord Deinstadt) (05/15/91)

de@helios.ucsc.edu (De Clarke) writes:

>More information on "The Private Eye" please!

I'll see what I can dig up.  At best I have some articles in
Popular Science type magazines.  Anyone with better info
is invited to post.

I recall that at this point they're selling samples only, at
a fairly high price ($700?).  And they are in black & red
monochrome only - they use a bar of LEDs mechanically scanned
at the frame rate.  Once in volume production they should
be quite cheap.  The resolution is not very good.

The optics make the image appear to be at infinity or some
reasonable distance, so if the wearer is walking around there
shouldn't be a focus problem.
--
Gord Deinstadt  gdeinstadt@geovision.gvc.com