[comp.society.futures] Remote manipulation.

Tim_Shephard@resbbs.UUCP (Tim Shephard) (05/15/91)

   Many interesting hypothesis have been put forward on the problems of
manipulating objects in a virtual reality setting where no tactile
stimulation exists.
   My contribution is this:  I think some are forgetting that humans are very
adept at learning through assocation and spacial-relation.  For example, if a
bell rang everytime Mr. X move his finger so it was touching a pseudo-solid,
M. X would soon replace in his mind the need for tactile sensation with that
of the bell sound.  Further, how about different sounds for different types
of urfaces?  And I think it was suggested that the solid would actually be
visually 'highlighted' .. If temperature were a factor, we could have certain
dangerous objects flare angry red.  If they were clever, as some of these
messages have been, they could sound an ingrating "WARNING WARNING WARNING"
if the user was doing something that would be dangerous in the real world,
and thus the learned response which is taken away from the workplace would be
a fairly safe one.

  Yes, this would all take some getting used to, but that's the beauty of
technology.

  Anyhow, fascinating conversation.

Tim Shephard
Vancouver, BC

-- Via DLG Pro v.95 Beta

Timothy Michael Shephard, literary terrorist and perspicacious pawn pusher.

ken@cherokee.uswest.com (Kenny Chaffin) (05/16/91)

In article <Tim_Shephard.3486@resbbs.UUCP> Tim_Shephard@resbbs.UUCP (Tim Shephard) writes:

>   Many interesting hypothesis have been put forward on the problems of
>manipulating objects in a virtual reality setting where no tactile
>stimulation exists.
>   My contribution is this:  I think some are forgetting that humans are very
>adept at learning through assocation and spacial-relation.  For example, if a
>bell rang everytime Mr. X move his finger so it was touching a pseudo-solid,
>M. X would soon replace in his mind the need for tactile sensation with that
>of the bell sound.  Further, how about different sounds for different types
>of urfaces?  And I think it was suggested that the solid would actually be
>visually 'highlighted' .. If temperature were a factor, we could have certain
>dangerous objects flare angry red.  If they were clever, as some of these
>messages have been, they could sound an ingrating "WARNING WARNING WARNING"
>if the user was doing something that would be dangerous in the real world,
>and thus the learned response which is taken away from the workplace would be
>a fairly safe one.
>
>  Yes, this would all take some getting used to, but that's the beauty of
>technology.
>
>  Anyhow, fascinating conversation.
>
>Tim Shephard
>Vancouver, BC

	It also points out the difference in virtual reality and reality, they
are different and each should be handled appropriately. Things that work in
reality can work just as well, but differently in virtual reality.

KAC

"One man's ceiling is another man's floor."
                                Paul Simon

Kenny A. Chaffin                      {...boulder}!uswat!ken
U S WEST Advanced Technologies                (303) 541-6355
4001 Discovery Drive
Suite 2100
Boulder, CO 80303