[net.micro] process size limits under xenix 3.0

jk@plx.UUCP (John Kullmann) (05/31/85)

does anyone know the maximum user process size under
xenix 3.0? i am using it on an AT and can only get
about 1.2MB via mallocs. also, i assume that it would
be very difficlut for me to change this limit
without the sources (like any other un*x system),
right?
john kullmann
decvax!sun!plx!jk

frodo@wcom.UUCP (Jim Scardelis) (06/02/85)

> does anyone know the maximum user process size under
> xenix 3.0? i am using it on an AT and can only get
> about 1.2MB via mallocs. also, i assume that it would
> be very difficlut for me to change this limit
> without the sources (like any other un*x system),
> right?
> john kullmann
> decvax!sun!plx!jk

	There are some tunable parameters in /usr/sys/conf . Check out
those files, and the manual entries for 'CONFIG' and '/etc/master'.

Basically, Xenix provides you with just enough source to tune your system,
and to add in device drivers.

					Jim Scardelis
--

uucp: {vax135|ihnp4}!timeinc!wcom!frodo
ARPA: 1891@NJIT-EIES.MAILNET@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA

rosalia@tekig4.UUCP (Mark Galassi) (06/04/85)

In article <138@plx.UUCP> jk@plx.UUCP (John Kullmann) writes:
>does anyone know the maximum user process size under
>xenix 3.0? i am using it on an AT and can only get
>about 1.2MB via mallocs. also, i assume that it would
>be very difficlut for me to change this limit
>without the sources (like any other un*x system),
>right?
>john kullmann
>decvax!sun!plx!jk

I have used XENIX 3.0 on an Intel 310 computer, and it
is possible to recunfigure the kernel to allow as much
swap space as you want on the hard disk. The files
for such modifications are in places like
"/sys/h" or "/sys/conf/xenixconf". (I'm not exacly sure right
now.) It is possible to recompile the kernel, infact it is
necessary if you install new periferals which XENIX has to
know about. Hope this helps you.
				Mark Galassi
			    ...!tektronix!reed!rosalia

sommers@topaz.ARPA (Mamaliz @ The Soup Kitchen) (06/06/85)

In article <109@wcom.UUCP> frodo@wcom.UUCP (Jim Scardelis) writes:
>> does anyone know the maximum user process size under
>> xenix 3.0? i am using it on an AT and can only get
>> about 1.2MB via mallocs. also, i assume that it would
>> be very difficlut for me to change this limit
>> without the sources (like any other un*x system),
>> right?
>> john kullmann
>> decvax!sun!plx!jk
>
>	There are some tunable parameters in /usr/sys/conf . Check out
>those files, and the manual entries for 'CONFIG' and '/etc/master'.
>
>Basically, Xenix provides you with just enough source to tune your system,
>and to add in device drivers.
>
>					Jim Scardelis

Somewhere in the manuals (I forget where) it mentions that your process
size can be approximently 3/4 of available memory.

--
liz sommers
uucp:   ...{harvard, seismo, ut-sally, sri-iu, ihnp4!packard}!topaz!sommers