[alt.cyberpunk] TRON is cyberpunk?

gmp@rayssd.UUCP (09/22/87)

It amazes me how whimsically groups are created on the altnet.  I just
can't wait to see the huge discussions of cyberpunk that are sure to
justify this one.

To start things off:  How can anyone possibly classify TRON as
cyberpunk?  The whole story takes place in an imaginary world inside a
computer.  Where does a "futuristic approach" et al come into play?
One may as well call Dr. Dolittle cyberpunk.

--
Greg Paris                                          gmp@rayssd.ray.com
                {cbosgd,gatech,ihnp4,mirror,necntc,uiucdcs}!rayssd!gmp

webber@brandx.rutgers.edu.UUCP (09/23/87)

In article <1581@rayssd.RAY.COM>, gmp@rayssd.RAY.COM (Gregory M. Paris) writes:
> To start things off:  How can anyone possibly classify TRON as
> cyberpunk?  The whole story takes place in an imaginary world inside a
> computer.  Where does a "futuristic approach" et al come into play?

Perhaps you didn't catch Dillinger's desk?  Or the conversations he
had with the master control program?  Clearly the timeframe of the
movie was futuristic and hi-tech.

What makes you think that the interface Flynn achieved with ENCOM's
computer was ``imaginary'' in any sense except ``futuristic?'' Recall
that the machine did not disintegrate him, but rather digitized him.
The interface described seems at least as valid as say the one in True
Names or Count Zero.

> One may as well call Dr. Dolittle cyberpunk.

One might, but I wouldn't.  Dr. Dolittle may have been an early
version of The Uplift War, but I don't see it relating to computers
much.

----------- BOB (webber@aramis.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!aramis.rutgers.edu!webber)

crs@cpsc6b.UUCP (09/24/87)

In article <1581@rayssd.RAY.COM>, gmp@rayssd.RAY.COM (Gregory M. Paris) writes:
<
< To start things off:  How can anyone possibly classify TRON as
< cyberpunk?  The whole story takes place in an imaginary world inside a
< computer.  Where does a "futuristic approach" et al come into play?
< One may as well call Dr. Dolittle cyberpunk.
<
< Greg Paris                                          gmp@rayssd.ray.com

I think, if you look at it in the broad spectrum, TRON does in fact
qualify as cyberpunk.  The main interaction is between a man and a
futuristic, intelligent computer program.  When the man gets in the
way of the program, it uses a futuristic device to ensnare him.  Sure,
the basic 'feel' of the movie is somewhat juvenile, but it is still
cyberpunk.

Now, as to that cyberpunk classic, Dr. Dolittle... ;-).

--
Chris Seaman            |    o\  /o
crs@cpsc6a.att.com <or> |      ||         See "Attack of the Killer Smiley"!

chuck@amdahl.UUCP (09/24/87)

In article <408@cpsc6b.cpsc6a.att.com> crs@cpsc6b.cpsc6a.att.com (C. R. Seaman) writes:
>In article <1581@rayssd.RAY.COM>, gmp@rayssd.RAY.COM (Gregory M. Paris) writes:
>< To start things off:  How can anyone possibly classify TRON as
>< cyberpunk?
>< Greg Paris                                          gmp@rayssd.ray.com
>
>I think, if you look at it in the broad spectrum, TRON does in fact
>qualify as cyberpunk.  The main interaction is between a man and a
>futuristic, intelligent computer program.
>
>Chris Seaman            |    o\  /o
>..!ihnp4!cpsc6a!crs     |   \vvvvvv/     Coming Soon to a newsgroup near you!

TRON is obviously cyberyuppie.  To be real cyberpunk, not only do the
characters have to have daily interactions with biotechnology, computers,
and lots of other fun high-tech stuff, but they also have to roll around
in the grit and dirt of a low-life urban setting.  Real cyberpunks grow
up in such fun places as the sleazier parts of
Manhatten or Chicago, or anywhere in South Dallas.

The characters in TRON obviously grew up in places like Los Gatos,
Oak Park, or Teaneck.

-- Chuck

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (09/24/87)

No way, no how, was TRON cyberpunk.  There are two important elements to
cyberpunk, cyber (computers) and punk (street-wise sensibilities).  TRON was
about as street-wise as Mary Poppins.  A good light show, yes.  Cyberpunk?
Barely even halfway.
--
Tim Maroney, {ihnp4,sun,well,ptsfa,lll-crg}!hoptoad!tim (uucp)
hoptoad!tim@lll-crg (arpa)

mwtilden@orchid.UUCP (09/25/87)

In article <1581@rayssd.RAY.COM> gmp@rayssd.RAY.COM (Gregory CyberPunk-thy-name-is-TRON Paris) writes:
>To start things off:  How can anyone possibly classify TRON as
>cyberpunk?  The whole story takes place in an imaginary world inside a
>computer.  Where does a "futuristic approach" et al come into play?
>One may as well call Dr. Dolittle cyberpunk.

A few definitions in order, maybe? Here's one...

CYBERPUNK: 1/ The interaction of electronicly suspended intelligences.

Hmm... that's a good base.  Let's expand a little...

           2/ The expansion of biological awareness into an artificial
              realm capable of granting severe elitism to anyone who
              suffered through the slang and came away thinking they
              had a fix on the future.

Just because Disney always puts out stuff with the same feel doesn't
mean we can disqualify it as a reasonable Cyberpunk concept.  Would
you have said the same thing if a reasonable company had put out the
movie? something with a little more violent realism maybe?  It woulda
been a classic!

Future novels come and go, but the Cyberpunk concept hits close to
home for anyone who can work an 'n' key.  TRON is to cyberpunk
as Manalow is to U2. Everything grows, but let's not get too far
ahead in our speculation. Or too sure of ourselves.

So I can't spell...

--
Mark Tilden: _-_-_-__--__--_      /(glitch!)  M.F.C.F Hardware Design Lab.
-_-___       |              \  /\/            U of Waterloo. Ont. Can, N2L-3G1