[alt.cyberpunk] Pat Cadigan's _Mindplayers_

iverson@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Tim Iverson) (09/26/87)

oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu.UUCP (David Phillip Oster) writes:
>Well, Professor Thomas Cheatham, senior faculty in Computer Science
>at Harvard used to say that if you want to do direct brain input, just
>use the optic nerves: that are a piece of brain tissue that's pushed
>its way through the skull to get a better view.

This reminds me of a book I read recently that is very 'cyberpunk' -
practically the whole book is spent with the main character 'jacked in',
and (you've guessed it) through the optic nerve.  The protagonist isn't
nearly as street-punk as Gibson's characters usually are - the main character
is a kind of psychologist that shrinks artists (called a 'pathos finder')
in a manner very similar to Zelazney's _Dream_Master_.  If you liked
Michael Swanwick's _Vacuum_Flowers_, you'll like this one.

- Tim Iverson
  iverson@cory.Berkeley.EDU
  ucbvax!cory!iverson