[alt.cyberpunk] ICE

gary@sdcsvax.UUCP (01/01/70)

I read Neuromancer this summer - I never did understand the ICE reference.
Integrated Circuits?

Could someone illuminate this for me? I'm sure other people had the same
question.

gary cottrell

brothers@who.rutgers.edu.UUCP (09/24/87)

ICE == Intruder Countermeasures Electronics. Software for ambushing
cowboys. Apparently the usage extends beyond cyberspace security
measures to any form of electronic/software security systems.
--
			 Laurence R. Brothers
		      brothers@paul.rutgers.edu

hirai@swatsun.UUCP (09/24/87)

In article <3948@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU>, gary@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Gary Cottrell) writes:
> I read Neuromancer this summer - I never did understand the ICE reference.
> Integrated Circuits?

	Intrusion (or Intruder?) Counter-measures Electronics.  Correct
me if I'm wrong.  There was a discussion about this some time ago in
sf-lovers.  I think some other author came up with this originally.

					-AG Hirai
--
Eiji "A.G." Hirai @ Swarthmore College, Swarthmore PA 19081 | Tel. 215-543-9855
UUCP:  {seismo, rutgers, ihnp4}!bpa!swatsun!hirai |  "All Cretans are liars."

matt@oddjob.UUCP (09/25/87)

brothers@who.rutgers.edu (Laurence R. Brothers) writes:
) ICE == Intruder Countermeasures Electronics. Software for ambushing cowboys.

Or was it "Industrial Counter-Espionage"?

			Matt

jeffb@mcnc.UUCP (09/25/87)

This is in reference to guess's about what ICE is in Neuromancer.  It seems
pretty obvious to me that ICE is just software protection.  I've heard both
copy protection and system protection (passwords, etc.) referred to as ICE.
Maybe it comes from Integrated Circuits, but I doubt it, since almost all
protection is in the form of software.

				Jeff Butterworth
				jeffb@alvin.UUCP
				The Microelectronics Center of North Carolina

mwtilden@orchid.UUCP (09/28/87)

>>) ICE == Intruder Countermeasures Electronics. Software for ambushing cowboys.
>
>Or was it "Industrial Counter-Espionage"?

Intrusive Computer Espionage?

--
Mark Tilden: _-_-_-__--__--_      /(glitch!)  M.F.C.F Hardware Design Lab.
-_-___       |              \  /\/            U of Waterloo. Ont. Can, N2L-3G1

hobie@sq.UUCP (09/30/87)

M.W. Tilden, Hardware (mwtilden@orchid.waterloo.edu) writes:
>>>) ICE == Intruder Countermeasures Electronics. Software for ambushing cowboys.
>>
>>Or was it "Industrial Counter-Espionage"?
>>
>Intrusive Computer Espionage?

Idiot-Confusing English?

 Hobie Orris			 	|
 guest of SoftQuad Inc., Toronto, Ont.	|"There'll be no more giant leeches
 {ihnp4 | decvax | ? }!utzoo!sq!hobie	| When you find the good Lord Jesus"