[alt.cyberpunk] The MIT Media-Lab

rsalz@papaya.bbn.com.UUCP (09/26/87)

Anyone have contacts at the MIT Media Lab (err, Arts and Media Technology
Center?  I forget the newspeak name)?  They tried to build a real air
guitar, but couldn't get enough resolution from the funky rings you had
to wear.  They've got real air drums, tho.

One of the (perhaps unstated) goals of the place is to bend computers so
that they interface more easily with people.  If that's not one of the
underpining of C-punk, then I'll burn my Neuromancer (the early edition,
by Dickson).

In re a claim by Maroney, I don't know if he'll be dead before it happens
(and I tend to think I might prefer to be, meself), but if C-punk becomes a
real lifestyle, one of its spawning grounds will have been this MIT
playground.

Interested parties who can't make a visit should check out the new book,
"The Media Lab," by Stewart Brand.  (Yah, of "access to tools" fame.)
	/r$
--
For comp.sources.unix stuff, mail to sources@uunet.uu.net.

bc@mit-amt.UUCP (09/28/87)

Yeah, I'm here, $alz. (Took a while, my newsrc is being "censored" by
some sort of Bad Majjick.)

Yeah, The Media Lab is a pretty good book. Very few major mistakes (a
handful of minor ones). Also, just going out of print are Nick
Negroponte's "Architecture Machine" books (via MIT Press) -- landmark
work in man-machine interface. Why not machines you can talk to, that
you can point at, that know when you are talking to them, that can see
where you are looking, pointing. Machines that know what you like and
what you never want to see (SLG, snikker). That's what we build here.

I just came back from the first Artificial Life conference (at Los
Alamos Nat Labs, believe it!) where I showed my work in Artificial
Animal Behavior. Expect articles in Scientific American -- AK Dewdeney
was one of the organizers. Rudy Rucker was there, he's into Cellular
Automata in a big way (considering that and where he lives --
Tennesse! -- I'm seriously wondering what drugs he takes). I'm gonna
get Rudy posting to this newtgruppe soon...

Anyway, back to play..................................bc

andyr@apple.UUCP (09/28/87)

In article <1582@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>, bc@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (bill coderre) writes:

> Yeah, I'm here, $alz. (Took a while, my newsrc is being "censored" by
> some sort of Bad Majjick.)

[balance deleted}

> Anyway, back to play..................................bc

I know, this isn't the place for general comments, but the net NEEDS to
be warned.  LOCK UP YOUR WOMEN, CHILDREN, SMALL FURRY ANIMALS, WHAT HAVE
YOU.  THE MEDIA LAB IS ON LINE AGAIN.

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brothers@who.rutgers.edu.UUCP (10/05/87)

You maybe mean NECROMANCER by Dickson? Slightly different meaning,
there.....
--
			 Laurence R. Brothers
		      brothers@paul.rutgers.edu