[alt.cyberpunk] Huxley's Brave New World

rsp@ptsfa.UUCP (10/07/87)

I've been interested in the on going discussion here on what to define
as cyberpuink and what literary/artistic roots can be claimed for it.
There seems to be a growing unstated consensus that it has to do with
computers (the cyber) and social organizations (the punk).

I think it would be legit to offically broaden the scope.  Check out
this definition of cybernetics:  "Theoretical study of control processes
in electric, mechanical, and biological systems..."  The roots of the
term are Greek: kubernetes - "governor" and kubernan - "to govern".
(See Webster's II New Riverside University Dictionary).

I conclude that works which concern themselves with the questions of
social control, social engineering, social manipulation primarily through
the use of technology will give us the feel we call "cyberpunk".  The "punks"
don't have to wear leather or listen to heavy metal.  They don't have to
be the outcasts.  The technology doesn't have to include digital computer
systems; that's only one kind of control technology.

Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World" is my nomination for one of the most
brilliant examples of the genre.  Written during the '30s, this novel
describes in great detail, a society in which technology is the deliberate
tool used to "rationally" mold everyone from "conception" (your caste,
your appearance, your intelligence, your function all genetically pre-
determined) to death.

Here are a few of the more interesting control technologies:

	- genetic manipulation.  Cloning and genetic engineering produce
	  offically approved types of humans, plants and animals.  Groups
	  of low-caste workers are cloned in identical sets of 10 or 100
	  to man a mine or factory.  They are genetically conditioned
	  and trained to "enjoy" belong to their own caste.
	  Leader castes are granted superior IQs, workers stronger bodies.

	- soma,	the perfect psychoactive hallucinogen.  Versions of this
	  offically promoted drug are used to heighten sexual passions,
	  ease social contacts, provide bonding during religious rites,
	  and even provide crowd control (like a LSD tear gas).

	- Sleep learning.  Tapes of socially approved messages encouraging
	  pride in one's predetermined caste, cheerful participation in
	  school, social, sexual and religious activities are played nightly
	  for all school children and worker castes.

	- Birth control and recreational sex.  Motherhood is a disgrace
	  since conception, gestation and "birth" are mechanized.  Boys
	  and girls are trained in the "joy" and "duty" of free sexuality.
	  Birthcontrol is state sponsored and required.  The soma, the
	  dance clubs and the 'feelies' encourage daily, multiple sexual
	  encounters. (MAKE LOVE, NOT TROUBLE.)

	- Sensory control.  The 'feelies' are a means of directly affecting
	  the neural system to provide a complete entertainment experiece.
	  One literally feels what the actors feel in all senses.  Adventure,
	  melodrama, and explicit sex feelies are the most popular.  The
	  news broadcasts also provide a chance to feel the news of the day.

	  I could go on, but let this suffice.  Its time to read/reread
"Brave New World" and see it with new eyes.  Huxley died in 1963 (Nov. 22
to be precise.  He shared the date with John F. Kennedy and C. S. Lewis.)
I'm sure he would find our world becoming braver ever day, but in some
unexpected ways.

Steve Price
(415) 823-1951
ptsfa!rsp

"For every vision, there is an opposite and equal revision."

jr@lf-server-2.bbn.com.UUCP (10/09/87)

In article  <3483@ptsfa.UUCP> rsp@ptsfa.UUCP (Steve Price) writes:

>I've been interested in the on going discussion here on what to define
>as cyberpuink and what literary/artistic roots can be claimed for it.
>There seems to be a growing unstated consensus that it has to do with
>computers (the cyber) and social organizations (the punk).
>
>I think it would be legit to offically broaden the scope.  Check out
>this definition of cybernetics:  "Theoretical study of control processes
>in electric, mechanical, and biological systems..."

One discussion that might be interesting is the limitations of control
systems.  Control systems are (generally modelled as) simple feedback
systems.  Recent work in Chaos theory (see Crutchfield, Farmer et al
in Scientific American last January or December) shows that very
simple feedback systems can exhibit chaotic behavior (i.e., behaivor
indistinguishable from a random process).  These simple systems can
cross from controlled to bizarre behavior through very minor
adjustments of thier model parameters.  To me this opens the door for
a much different sort of story - the punk (anti-hero or whatever)
learns the models of the cybernetic control systems and is able to
force them into chaotic behavior by appropriate application of the
right external stimuli.  The world breaks down on a grand scale or
whatever.  It might be hard to trace in a lot of cases.  I'm not
trying to rewrite War Games or something here, but there is I think
the seed of an idea, and it may be a lot more plausible than some of
what we find in science fiction.
--
/jr
jr@bbn.com or jr@bbn.uucp