[alt.cyberpunk] Max Headroom bites the dust

bart@speedy.UUCP (10/16/87)

Apparently, Max Headroom is going off the air.  While it wasn't as bold or
imaginative as it might've been, it was a bit of variety on prime-time.

Middle america just wasn't ready for a bit of creative thought.  Let's all
toast the victory of Miami Lice.
						--bart miller
						  uw-madison cs dept
						  bart@cs.wisc.edu
						  ...!uwvax!bart

oleg@quad1.UUCP (10/19/87)

In article <4482@spool.wisc.edu> bart@speedy.WISC.EDU (Bart Miller) writes:
>Apparently, Max Headroom is going off the air.

It is true, Max Headroom got canned.

>Middle america just wasn't ready for a bit of creative thought.  Let's all
>toast the victory of Miami Lice.

The fault was with the network.  They should have never scheduled MH opposite
of the heavy Friday-night earners like the prime-time soaps.  And, according
to a TV guru friend of mine, Friday prime-time is known to be among the worst
possible slots to schedule SF.
--
Oleg Kiselev  --  oleg@quad1.quad.com -- {...!psivax|seismo!gould}!quad1!oleg
HASA, "A" Division

DISCLAIMER:  I don't speak for my employers.

ewa@sdcc19.UUCP (10/21/87)

In article <1256@quad1.quad.com> oleg@quad1.quad.com (Oleg Kiselev) writes:
>The fault was with the network.  They should have never scheduled MH opposite
>of the heavy Friday-night earners like the prime-time soaps.  And, according
>to a TV guru friend of mine, Friday prime-time is known to be among the worst
>possible slots to schedule SF.

I believe the original Star Trek was placed in a Friday night time-slot shortly
before NBC killed it.

We (above average people) can't really expect ABC to hang on to Max Headroom -
We're talking about a show which is both intelligent and funny (rarely does a
network offer something which is either), which makes fun of the whole tele-
vision industry and (ironic, huh?) the importance of ratings.  Oh well.

-Eric Anderson, UC San Diego      (elsewhere!ihnp4!ucbvax!sdcsvax!sdcc19!ewa)