[alt.cyberpunk] fast knockout gasses, future fuzz, etc.

sunghou@violet.berkeley.edu.UUCP (11/14/87)

The grenades you want are called flash-bangs by the British, who invented
them (actually the Special Air Service).  Fun things, they make a big
flash and a big bang.  You whip one into your favorite hijacked 727,
follow it in (you're wearing goggles and hearing protectors), and start
hosing down terrorists with you H&K MP5 (integral silencer optional).
After a few seconds, its Miller time.  Anyway, that's how things are
supposed to work.

Just for the counter-terrorist on the net there are a couple
of great books and magazines (journals) out there:

International Defense Review, this is an extremely expensive journal and is
pretty much the Playboy of the tanks & subs set, written like a journal and
not like the National Enquirer, but, lots of pictures and info.

Terrorism, more political science than gunns & ammo.

Law & Order, one of your basic police journals, fun stuff, some of the ads
and articles are great.

Terrorist Attacks: A Manual for Protective Services by Raymond Siljander.
Great book! Fabulous! Tells about tailing and weaponry and common-sense
things to do.  Even a chapter on Offensive Driving (just like on the
Rockford Files).  Incredible stuff. (Hint: I enjoyed the book.)

Inside the SAS, Tony Geraty (there is an h or more letters or something in it)
published by Ballentine in paper, fun little book on the guys who do
counter-terrorism right.  Probably will show what things could be like if
all your cops were trained like this.

You might also want to watch the Equalizer on tv. Some of his toys are
state-of-the-art. Also rent The Conversation, with Gene Hackman.

By the way, the H&K rifle with caseless ammunition is (or was last time
I saw) called the G11.  There is a section on it in Small Arms of the
World, by Smith.  He has 5 or so chapters on the future of weapons
development. Talks about the Squad Assult Weapon (your full-auto, magazine-
fed shotgun).  Also there was this little thing about a funky pistol/
machine-pistol with a small-caliber bullet which was under development.

Also, why not just wear one of those inflatible vests (the ones with ads
that have the guy getting hit with a baseball bat) for football players
under your favorite flak jacket.  It should keep the shock down on a clean
chest shot. (Someone told me that according to the FBI's Uniform Crime
Reports as of a few years ago, head-shots at cops have increased).

Happy hunting.

			Mike "'Til They Glow" Matsko at
			sunghou@violet.berkeley.edu

max@zion.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (11/14/87)

In article <5905@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> sunghou@violet.berkeley.edu (Sung-Hou KimGroup) writes:

>Just for the counter-terrorist on the net there are a couple
>of great books and magazines (journals) out there:

>International Defense Review, this is an extremely expensive journal and is
>pretty much the Playboy of the tanks & subs set, written like a journal and
>not like the National Enquirer, but, lots of pictures and info. ...

This evokes memories for me. The IDR is a NATO, or NATO-affiliated,
publication. For some reason I have only seen it in classified
facilities, but I'm sure they'd be happy to send it to anyone who
pays. No doubt it is a big hit with the soldier-of-fortune crowd.

What is so striking about IDR is that it serves as a medium for all
the international, and especially European, arms manufacturers to
advertise. "Speaking of mines..." begins one slick spread from an
Italian firm -- as I remember it had a floral border -- and goes on
with performance data, from the little anti-personnel (40-gm load) to
the "Big Bertha" anti-tank model (25 kg). I found it even more than
usually chilling, for the idiom.  Can you imagine Madison Avenue firms
dreaming up the pitches?   ("Yes, but will it play in Pretoria?")