[alt.cyberpunk] IDR

oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu.UUCP (11/17/87)

In article <5905@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> sunghou@violet.berkeley.edu (Sung-Hou KimGroup) writes:

>Just for the counter-terrorist on the net there are a couple
>of great books and magazines (journals) out there:

>International Defense Review, this is an extremely expensive journal and is
>pretty much the Playboy of the tanks & subs set, written like a journal and
>not like the National Enquirer, but, lots of pictures and info. ...

This evokes memories for me. In '77 I was taking a course on nuclear arms policy at
Harvard, and ran across this thing in the school library. I'll always remember a
two-page ad:

It was a painting, showing an arab-looking gent in a military uniform
with a giant grin on his face. He was holding a hand-held air-to-ground
missle launcher, and there was a smoke trail going from the top of the
launcher to a fireball in mid-air with just the tail of an airplane
visible from it.  You don't see ads like that in Aviation Week And Space
Technology!

That same issue had a product review for Italian-made floating mines
for harbor blockades.

Interesting magazine.

--- David Phillip Oster            --A Sun 3/60 makes a poor Macintosh II.
Arpa: oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu --A Macintosh II makes a poor Sun 3/60.
Uucp: {uwvax,decvax,ihnp4}!ucbvax!oster%dewey.soe.berkeley.edu