[alt.cyberpunk] _Dreampark_

brantley@udccvax1.UUCP (11/23/87)

In article <wVdCthy00Uo5dWM0bz@andrew.cmu.edu> mr2t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Tod Rose) writes:

>I also loved Niven and Barnes' *Dream Park*... let's hear some comment on
>that puppy.
>
>	-Michael Rose

I *loved* Dreampark !!!!  Wow, what a concept --- I'd spend every penny I
had if this was real life !!!  Hmmmmm, it's been 2 or 3 years since I've
read it, guess it's time for another fix. (Oh, why can't it be real ???)

After my initial emotional reaction, a serious opinion:

Seems I remember that the story and characters were just a little bit weak
in a few places, but the concepts of the whole park and especially the real
life role-playing more than made up for that.  All in all, what I'd call
a great book.  Well worth the read (especially if you are into rpg's).

* "the heart and mind united in a single, perfect sphere" - Rush             *
*									     *
* arpa - brantley@vax1.acs.udel.edu					     *

kessner@spot.UUCP (11/24/87)

>I *loved* Dreampark !!!!  Wow, what a concept --- I'd spend every penny I
>had if this was real life !!!  Hmmmmm, it's been 2 or 3 years since I've
>read it, guess it's time for another fix. (Oh, why can't it be real ???)

Ah! But it IS real, my friends.......
(the park isn't real quite yet, but.....)

As you may recall from _Dream Park_, the organization that organized the games
was called the "International Fantasy Gaming Society" (I.F.G.S), this is a real
organization based in Boulder, Colorado.

A few people in this area loved the book so much, that they got permission to
use the name I.F.G.S. and set up a "Real Life" role playing organization very
similar to the one in dream park. Of course we don't have hologram swords, and
most of the other technological innovations discussed in the book, however we
do dress up in costume and run through adventures using padded swords and
a very effective magic system.  The adventures range anywhere from a several
hour jaunt through the woods, to four day long (sleep if you want) games for
the really hard core.  There are currently between 20 and 40 major (2 days +)
games planned for the next season (starting in the spring).

The I.F.G.S. has been around for over six years, and is working on revision
6 of it's rules.  I'm not sure how many members it has, but to give you  an
idea of a MAJOR game........

Valledium:

This takes place every year or two, it is a complete two day city/wilderness
adventure with over 250 participants (about 125 players and an equal number
of "NPC's").

Well, anyway, if any of you would like more info, I'll either post it or
send you mail.

Eric Kessner

One more thing...
Price: Valledium (the above mentioned game) ran $12 each day for new players
(you have to bring your own costume and sword, although there were people
renting the for $1 or so)  The goal of the I.F.G.S. is to make Dream Park
a reality, so profits go to that cause.

Eric M. Kessner       |  Disclaimer: The opinions stated in
Syncronix Enterprises |   the previous message were entirely
(303) 441-9542        |   produced by an infinite number of monkeys.

erc@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (11/24/87)

In article <wVdCthy00Uo5dWM0bz@andrew.cmu.edu> mr2t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Tod Rose) writes:

>I also loved Niven and Barnes' *Dream Park*... let's hear some comment on
>that puppy.
>
>	-Michael Rose

Steven Barnes gave a talk here at Caltech for the Caltech Science Fiction
Club, and he mentioned that he was working currently on the sequel to
_Dream_Park_.  He implied that Niven is working on it too, although he
didn't directly state it.  No word as to when it will be out.  I haven't
yet found the synapses in which the title of the sequel is stored, but
when I do, I'll tell you.

Eric R. Christian
erc@tybalt.caltech.edu

"I keep on telling my computer it's just a tool, and it keeps on
saying the same thing about me."