[alt.cyberpunk] Musique pour le cyberpunk?

dallas@ide.dec.com (Mister I-don't-have-an-anxiety-closet) (01/20/88)

anyone thought about king crimson? just the last three albums ... _beat_,
_discipline_, and _three_of_a_perfect_pair_. "sleepless" on the last one
is not only incredibly quality, but entirely apropos.

robert fripp and the league of gentlemen is also great ... check out david
byrne's vocals on "under heavy manners" (from the album _god_save_the_king /
_under_heavy_manners_).

adrian belew's _lone_rhino_ is a must ("big electric cat", "the momur").

for something relatively different ...

some art of noise is good ... especially _(who's_afraid_of)_the art_of_noise_.

for something completely different ...

sometimes i get into a blues-guitar-kind-of-mood ... anything from old-old-old
zz top (none of this _eliminator_ crap) to bluesbreakers to fabo t-birds.
hot stuff for running around a 20k+ node network ...

steve

brothers@who.rutgers.edu (Laurence R. Brothers) (01/20/88)

Actually, I agree with some of Tangerine Dream, Vangelis, etc., but on
the rock side I would have to go with Hawkwind.

-L
--
			 Laurence R. Brothers
		      brothers@paul.rutgers.edu

stuart@ide.dec.com (Mister I-don't-have-an-anxiety-closet.) (01/21/88)

> Actually, I agree with some of Tangerine Dream, Vangelis, etc., but on
> the rock side I would have to go with Hawkwind.

isn't 'hawkwind' the band that michael moorcock wrote or played for? i love all
his 'eternal champion' stuff, as well as the influence he had on blue oyster
('o' with an umlaut) cult. some of _fire_of_unknown_origin_ is pretty good for
ether-travel ... "heavy metal", and maybe "the pact" (i think that's what it's
called). maybe the whole album. maybe none. who knows?

anybody think about cyberpunk video (not music video, but films)? "blade
runner"-ish , perhaps. there's a mindless-but-kinda-cool animated doo-dad that
runs around cable sometimes called "rock and rule" )that does an amazing
character-assasination job on mick jagger). "buckaroo banzai" is required ...
some decnet bugs i've found i can trace directly to black lectriod activity
in the eighth dimension.

steve ("been up for a while, so the windows are starting to move of their
        own volition")

jojo@astroatc.UUCP (Jon Wesener) (01/21/88)

	True cyberPUNKists will be listening to:

Camper VanBeethoven, Volcano Suns, Mission of Burma, X, Dump Truck,
Fatal Flowers, Fetchin' Bones, Game Theory, Sex Pistols, PIL,
Theolonious Monster, Dead Milkmen, Echo and the Bunnymen, Died Pretty,
Fresh Young Fellows, Capt. Beefheart, Naked Raygun, Penguin Cafe' Orchestra,
Laurie Anderson, Replacements, Throwing Muses, and Pepsi Death Culture

to name a few! ;-)  How else will they know they're alive after tangling
with some stubborn ice?

--j
--
jon wesener
... {seismo | harvard | ihnp4} ! {uwvax | cs.wisc.edu} ! astroatc!jojo

"It must be love, I feel sick to my stomach..."

pdm@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Otterley) (01/22/88)

In article <731@astroatc.UUCP> jojo@astroatc.UUCP (Jon Wesener) writes:
>	True cyberPUNKists will be listening to:
>
>Camper VanBeethoven, Volcano Suns, Mission of Burma, X, Dump Truck,
>Fatal Flowers, Fetchin' Bones, Game Theory, Sex Pistols, PIL,
>Theolonious Monster, Dead Milkmen, Echo and the Bunnymen, Died Pretty,
>Fresh Young Fellows, Capt. Beefheart, Naked Raygun, Penguin Cafe' Orchestra,
>Laurie Anderson, Replacements, Throwing Muses, and Pepsi Death Culture

      True  cyberFUNKists will listen to George Clinton!

paul