[alt.cyberpunk] Why and How we pick cyberpunk music.

gtaylor@astroatc.UUCP (One Cointreau, please. On ice.) (02/04/88)

In article <1630@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> tom@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Thomas C Hajdu) writes:
>and on top of that Holst with Mozart and Beethoven!!! What a joke!

It shouldn't be much of a surprise to anyone that when net posters decide
on proper music, they're merely engaging in a little projection, imagining
themselves as big, bad cyberweenies. Harmless enough, but one could rather
as easily have simply posted "What's your favorite music, oh persons who
read cyberpunk?" or "What subset of what you listen to could you imagine
as soundtrack music for the movie?" Heck, only the little interchange
about the relationship between media control and the music of the cyber
punk future was even close to the real issue [that is, take a fictional
world on its own *internal* terms and extrapolate the detritus of a
popular culture from it], and even that was tainted by a hint of optimism
on the part of the perfectable reader who talked about the explosion of
interesting music rather than the increased *volume* of work without a
kind of cultural screen or grid that the current homogenous marketplace
provides...it was a kind of argument about music in *this* modern world
and how nice one feels about it rather than what's on the radio-if one
exists-in Chibatown. For my money, it'd be disposable and not really
there at all in any sense but that of a virtual construct. Not owned, not
credited, and ever present as a way to delineate the tiny warrens where
noodle vendor engages in audio war with the artillery rental next door.
No one gives a shit who makes it, and it's unlikely that anyone ever
asks unless it functions as a kind of initiation or currency.

Why are we so quick to assume that the future is a hybrid of Stanley
Kubrick/Max Headroom/Tron/Diety knows who else instead of something derived
from the text? Because we really invented this newsgroup to project
our weeniedreaming out into the aethers? Or because we were looking
at a kind of writing and the ideas that stand behind and in front of
it?
--
the reach of the arm.                   Gregory Taylor Astronautics
the sweep of the eye.                   5800 Cottage Grove Rd. Madison

mthome@polaris.bbn.com (Mike Thome) (02/05/88)

In article <799@astroatc.UUCP> gtaylor@astroatc.UUCP (One Cointreau, please. On ice.) writes:
>In article <1630@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> tom@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Thomas C Hajdu) writes:
>>and on top of that Holst with Mozart and Beethoven!!! What a joke!
>
>It shouldn't be much of a surprise to anyone that when net posters decide
>on proper music, they're merely engaging in a little projection, ...

Ah! Thank you - someone's doing some thinking...

Now, attempting to stay in generalities, some thoughts:
	Cyber(ahem!)punks are people (more or less) just like (more or
less) us - some "jocks" would find music irrelavent, and would rather
just listen to whatever is coming over the wire (pick a wire, any
wire!) than bother about selection. Use your imagination!  Real-time
synthesised music as a form of bio-feedback... Eccentric hackers who
listen to nothing except Barry Manilow (or Country-western or
steel-guitar or E Power Biggs or Led Zep or The Dead Kennedies or
whatever)... Gurus who will listen to nothing but white noise... Real
Fanatics who use all their senses for information input...
	The technology available ought to be able to support such
gadgets as radio-tuners that know your taste in music... and will make
certain that you dont ever have to listen to anything you consider
junk (A good "hack" would be to reprogram someone's tuner... :-) of
course, this sortof thing would probably either be new, illegal, or
useless since radio-stations wouldn't be able to make a living from
ads... subscriber (heh heh) "only" radio?
	"Current" cyberpunk music should be mostly electronic (but no
need to *blantantly* electronic - that went "out" in the early 80's...
besides, when a Steinway Grand is nothing but a bootleg bio-chip only
slightly more expensive than the plastic it's encased in...).  How
about a quantum leap in virtuousity of the good musicians - with
direct links, The Best wouldn't be limited by physical elements like
reach or muscle tone (a drummer with MS?) - you'll have to train your
brain, not your fingers!
	If cyberspace "objects" have unique shapes and colors, they'd
probably also have unique sounds associated with them - a trip through
cyberspace would be like spinning the dial on a multi-dimensional
radio tuner.
	Finally, one of the trademarks of cyberpunk societies is
extreme variety and mixtures - the "current" music would be the same:
odd combinations of styles and instruments (Bach on electric guitar
and wind chimes, The Dead Milkmen on harpsichord and string quartet
with Pavarotti on lead vocal, Kiss played by a symphony orchestra...
ok! ok! maybe I'm getting a *little* silly!! :-) :-) ;-) On the other
hand, there'll always be extremes... even popular extremes.  More
merging of different schools of music - western music has already
borrowed heavily from African, now mix in some far east (but not TOO
far) and some classical islander... maybe some different scales?
Chords that sound strange... again, no end to the possibilities.

	-mike thome (mthome @ bbn.com)

tom@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Thomas C Hajdu) (02/05/88)

I think its a little more complicated than the way you described it.
The context of a piece of music is pretty important. The Requiem
deals with (apart from the human condition) the problems of living
in Europe centuries ago: when a man could be killed for thinking
of being encased in a large chunk and hurling through the air at
a velocity twice the speed of sound.

                          Tom
                          Music Dept
                          Princeton University

DeadHead@cup.portal.com (02/06/88)

What I dont understand is why there has to be a DEFINITIVE type of
music.  I thought this cyberpunk movement was an underground subculture;
otherwise it should not have been placed in ALT.cyberpunk.  And for any
non-main-stream movement, it's popularity lies in its diversity, not its
uniformity.

By the way, does anybody want to make different designes of cyberpunk
t-shirts?  Maybe we should tie-dye them, too!

DeadHead
Department of Electrical Engineering
San Jose State University
UUCP: DeadHead@cup.portal.com || ...sun!aeras!grinch!iko-iko!bruce