[alt.cyberpunk] still more musique pour le . . . . .

nigel@athena.mit.edu (Foghorn Leghorn) (02/02/88)

Another two bits on the music business:

4th Movement of Beethoven's 9th Symphony

The Planets by Gustav Holst

Mozart's Requiem

just thought I'd add a little to the subject . . . . .

                                  -nigel

tom@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Thomas C Hajdu) (02/03/88)

>4th Movement of Beethoven's 9th Symphony
>The Planets by Gustav Holst
>Mozart's Requiem
>
>                                  -nigel

OH MAN....I DONT WANT TO DEAL WITH IT....

and on top of that Holst with Mozart and Beethoven!!! What a joke!

fortunately i have cable and i am changing the channel.

paul@uscacsc.usc.edu (acsc staff) (02/04/88)

In article <1630@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> tom@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Thomas C Hajdu) writes:
 > >4th Movement of Beethoven's 9th Symphony
 > >The Planets by Gustav Holst
 > >Mozart's Requiem
 > >
 > >                                  -nigel
 >
 > OH MAN....I DONT WANT TO DEAL WITH IT....
 > and on top of that Holst with Mozart and Beethoven!!! What a joke!

Why does the music have to be punk or new wave?  Intensity is the keynote
here and you wont find much music more intense than the Requiem.
As I said before it works great in "A Clockwork Orange".

--
					Paul Nahi
					Advanced Computing Support Center

giebelhaus@hi-csc.UUCP (Timothy R. Giebelhaus) (02/05/88)

In article <1630@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> tom@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Thomas C Hajdu) writes:
>>4th Movement of Beethoven's 9th Symphony
>>The Planets by Gustav Holst
>>Mozart's Requiem
>>
>>                                  -nigel
>
>OH MAN....I DONT WANT TO DEAL WITH IT....
>
>and on top of that Holst with Mozart and Beethoven!!! What a joke!

Try it before you "splash" it!  If you listen to those classical pieces,
you may find that they are not quite as boring as you might have expected.

Besides, if they can have classical music in the milk bar in Clockwork Orange,
why not have some classical music here.  Not everything that is old is bad.
--
UUCP: {uunet, ihnp4!umn-cs}!hi-csc!giebelhaus
ARPA: hi-csc!giebelhaus@umn-cs.arpa

tom@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Thomas C Hajdu) (02/06/88)

In article <3a16fe27.b263@hi-csc.UUCP> giebelhaus@hi-csc.UUCP (Timothy R. Giebelhaus) writes:
>In article <1630@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> tom@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Thomas C Hajdu) writes:
>>>4th Movement of Beethoven's 9th Symphony
>>>The Planets by Gustav Holst
>>>Mozart's Requiem
>>>

>>OH MAN....I DONT WANT TO DEAL WITH IT....
>>
>>and on top of that Holst with Mozart and Beethoven!!! What a joke!
>
>Try it before you "splash" it!  If you listen to those classical pieces,
>you may find that they are not quite as boring as you might have expected.
>
>Besides, if they can have classical music in the milk bar in Clockwork Orange,
>why not have some classical music here.  Not everything that is old is bad.

I had hoped it would not require a particularly close reading of my
comments to discern a sensitivity to and experience with these three
composers.  One of the targets of my knee-jerk reaction was the
comingling of Holst with Mozart and Beethoven.  This seems to me
boorish at best.  The REAL offense, however, was the reliance on
music of the past for describing a culture of an imagined future.
I never said that Mozart and Beethoven were boring -- they are in fact
places where I have spent much of my listening life.  They seem,
however, in this context, to be used merely as pitons poked frantically
into the rock wall of the present to try and avoid plummeting headlong
kicking and screaming into the future.

Tom Hajdu
Composer-in-residence
Princeton University
Music Department

paul@uscacsc.usc.edu (acsc staff) (02/09/88)

In article <1652@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> tom@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Thomas C Hajdu) writes:
 > In article <3a16fe27.b263@hi-csc.UUCP> giebelhaus@hi-csc.UUCP (Timothy R. Giebelhaus) writes:
 > >In article <1630@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> tom@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Thomas C Hajdu) writes:

 > I had hoped it would not require a particularly close reading of my
 > comments to discern a sensitivity to and experience with these three
 > composers.  One of the targets of my knee-jerk reaction was the
 > comingling of Holst with Mozart and Beethoven.  This seems to me
 > boorish at best.  The REAL offense, however, was the reliance on
 > music of the past for describing a culture of an imagined future.
 > I never said that Mozart and Beethoven were boring -- they are in fact
 > places where I have spent much of my listening life.  They seem,
 > however, in this context, to be used merely as pitons poked frantically
 > into the rock wall of the present to try and avoid plummeting headlong
 > kicking and screaming into the future.

I understand your point and while it does seem an ironic juxtoposition
there are some things that transcend time, true aesthetics for one.  As
has been pointed out the circumstances existing while they were composed
may have been quite different than the those extant now but the music
still contains as much energy and verve as when it was first played.

--

gtaylor@astroatc.UUCP (Good Aim and a large Hunting Boomerang) (02/10/88)

In article <3a16fe27.b263@hi-csc.UUCP> giebelhaus@hi-csc.UUCP (Timothy R. Giebelhaus) writes:

>Besides, if they can have classical music in the milk bar in Clockwork Orange,
>why not have some classical music here.

There's a serious, formal reason for Anthony Burgess' choice of
Beethoven in Clockwork Orange-just as the choice of Russian as
the generating point for juvenile slang. The same ideas show up
later in Burgess' "1985" as well. A Clockwork Orange addresses
specific issues about morality and choice [is one's choice free if
conditioned] which are rooted in the philosophical milieu of the
post-enlightenment Romanticism of which LVB is a part. The additional
connections to LVB as the emotional appeal of choice for persons who've
entirely disconnected their desire from their human sensibilities [Nazis
weeping through Wagner] is important to the novel's central arguments.
I maintain that if Burgess puts Beethoven in a milk bar, he's done it
as a formal decision that is directly connected to the world of the
text. When you do it with Gibson, you're projecting your personal tastes
onto Gibson's construct and imagining yourself as a cybercowperson
rather than taking Gibson's text as a starting point. Why, for example,
would you not have chosen gagaku music for Gibson? There's clearly more
than a little Japanese stuff spread out through his work, and the music
of the traditional Japanese courts would seem a good choice for what
orientophilia one finds in Gibson. If you're going to locate LVB in
Gibson's world, you'll have to have *reasons*.
--
the reach of the arm.                   Gregory Taylor Astronautics
the sweep of the eye.                   5800 Cottage Grove Rd. Madison