[alt.cyberpunk] from notes to letters

stuart@ide.dec.com (Mister I-don't-have-an-anxiety-closet.) (01/31/88)

well, seeing as how the music avenue has been rather well-trod of late, how
'bout some thought about books?

i've read everything gibson's written (and i thought that _count_zero_ was just
as good as _neuromancer_, just in a different way), and just found (and read in
one sitting) _when_gravity_fails_ by effinger (sp?).

anybody else know who's writing cyberpunk these days?

steve

jojo@astroatc.UUCP (Jon Wesener) (02/01/88)

In article <8801310303.AA07787@decwrl.dec.com> stuart@ide.dec.com (Mister I-don't-have-an-anxiety-closet.) writes:
>i've read everything gibson's written (and i thought that _count_zero_ was just
>as good as _neuromancer_, just in a different way), and just found (and read in
>one sitting) _when_gravity_fails_ by effinger (sp?).
>
>anybody else know who's writing cyberpunk these days?

	I just read _Mercedes_Nights_ by Michael Weaver.  It's set in the
near future where a media star is cloned without here knowlege.  The clones
are then sold as personal property(still illegal) through the underground
to wealthy people.

	My roommate read _The_Glass_Hammer by K.W.Jetter and _Schismatrix_
by bruce sterling and thought they were pretty good.  The first deals with
the media creating a second coming to gain ratings in south america.
The second is about humanities contact with aliens seen throught the eyes
of a man exiled, turned diplomat.

--j
--
jon wesener
... {seismo | harvard | ihnp4} ! {uwvax | cs.wisc.edu} ! astroatc!jojo

"Boom, huh bull?"

hobie@sq.uucp (Hobie Orris) (02/03/88)

Mister I-don't-have-an-anxiety-closet. (stuart@ide.dec.com) writes:

>anybody else know who's writing cyberpunk these days?
>
>steve

Two of my favourites are:	"Eclipse" by John Shirley
				"Schismatrix" by John Sterling

Anyone read "The Artificial Kid" by Sterling?

 Hobie Orris			 	|"Good book says you gotta be nice
 guest of SoftQuad Inc., Toronto, Ont.	| Or they're gonna put you on ice.
 {ihnp4 | decvax | ? }!utzoo!sq!hobie	| Good book says you gotta behave

wex@banzai-inst.SW.MCC.COM (Alan Wexelblat) (02/11/88)

In article <1988Feb2.225916.10648@sq.uucp>, hobie@sq.uucp (Hobie Orris) writes:
> Anyone read "The Artificial Kid" by Sterling?

Yes.  I read it quite recently.  There will be a review in the next
OR.  But for those who can't wait...

I liked the book.  It's not cyberpunk in the sense that we think of it
from Gibson, Walter John Williams, etc.  No decks, cowboys, zaibatsu.
It's set on the terraformed planet of Reverie and tells the story of
the Artificial Kid, a combat artist.  That's right, combat artist.  He
makes his living fighting and selling tapes of his combats.  He has
fans the way today's rock stars have fans, etc.  Artificial Kid is
Sterling's second novel and is a little rough in the plotting, but the
concepts are very good and it's intellectually challenging.

Artificial Kid is a little hard to find - good luck.  Best bet is to
try a good SF paperback house.