[alt.cyberpunk] Musique pour le Cyberpunk??

mcginnis@well.UUCP (Paul McGinnis) (01/17/88)

Anyone have any music suggestions for making a run into cyberspace??
(i.e. - when you are dodging systems security, etc.)

I prefer pulsating synth music such as:
---> Sexcrime (1984) - The Eurythmics
---> Doubleplusgood - The Eurythmics
---> Hot Doggies - Colourbox
---> Black Planet - Sisters of Mercy
---> Excellent Birds - Laurie Anderson

mms@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (John J. Chew III) (01/17/88)

In article <5016@well.UUCP> mcginnis@well.UUCP (A. Random Factor) writes:
> Anyone have any music suggestions for making a run into cyberspace??
> (i.e. - when you are dodging systems security, etc.)

Anything by Yello works for me.  Try their 80/85 compilation album.

John
--
john j. chew (v3.0)                       poslfit@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
+1 416 463 5403 (300/1200 bps)            poslfit@utorgpu.bitnet

dm@socrates.bbn.com (David Mankins) (01/18/88)

Music for venturing into cyberspace?
- anything by Michael Garrison (a romantic-synthesizer fellow from the
  Pacific Northwest).
- anything by Jean-Michel Jarre (a romantic-synthesizer fellow from Paris).
  But especially anything from Oxygene or Equinoxe.  The second side of
  Magnetic Fields is good for William Gibson's journeys through Chiba City.

clif@chinet.UUCP (Clif Flynt) (01/18/88)

In article <5016@well.UUCP> mcginnis@well.UUCP (A. Random Factor) writes:

>Anyone have any music suggestions for making a run into cyberspace??
>(i.e. - when you are dodging systems security, etc.)
>
>I prefer pulsating synth music such as:
> ... list of songs ...

Well, no suggestions, really, but I've been doing a little cyber punk
based filk.  I see cyber stuff as heavy bass run rock, sort of heavy
metal R&B like it was done in the early 60's (Real early Fleetwood Mac,
Yardbirds, Led Zep, Black Sabbath sort of stuff.).

I use lots of Em's, since it's a very bassy chord, and easy to do runs on,
and catching the off beats with a 'lay the little finger across the strings
on the 3'd fret' sort of mute, sometimes catching the harmonics there.

Music isn't easy to dump to the net, but I'll see if one set of lyrics
will work...

<Chorus>
Can't you hear me calling.
Can't you hear me calling you.
Can't you hear me calling you back to me.

I remember the first time we met.
How could I ever forget.
I remember every word that you said.
I remember it yet.

You told me all about the world you could see,
I told you all about mine.
Now you say that you are leaving me.
Why do you leave me behind?

<chorus>

And I remember how the days went by.
Seemed we're together all the time
For in the moments you were not on line,
You were still on my mind.

With every nano-second I could get.
In every byte I could steal.
Remembered every word you ever said.
I made them seem so real.

<chorus>

Came the time when I had finally learned.
Learned what you spoke of.
I knew the passion that within me burned,
I knew I'd learned to love.

Had to tell you how I felt for you,
Say just how I feel.
You turned away, said it could not be true.
Love ain't encoded in crystals and steel.

<chorus>

Months have passed, and you won't talk to me.
Don't hear a word I say.
But I keep searching through the systems links,
I know I'll find you some day.

You told me all about the world you could see,
I told you all about mine.
Now you think that you are leaving me.
But, you can't leave me behind.

Can't you hear me calling.
Can't you hear me following you.
Can't you hear me calling you back to me.

My Opinions are my own. I can't imagine why anyone else would want them.
Clif Flynt	ihnp4!chinet!clif

crds@ncoast.UUCP (Glenn A. Emelko) (01/18/88)

I've got some real favorites:

Kraftwerk: Autobahn, The Robots, Man-Machine, etc.
Laurie Anderson: Home of the Brave, Mr. Heartbreak
Manheim Steamroller: (various from the Fresh Aire series, as well as Saving
  the wildlife)
The Furious Graveyard Coronors: Pick Yours, Pay, Unleashed
Oingo Boingo: Any (or all)
Jean Michael Jarre: Zoolook, or the older stuff like Oxygene
Vangelis: Albedo 0.39, China, Spiral
Devo: Devolution Anthrology, Are we not Men
Count Lake-ula: Greatest Hits (vol 2.)
Wendy (Walter) Carlos: Almost anything (ahhh rememberances of A Clockwork
  Orange)

laura@haddock.ISC.COM (The writer in the closet) (01/18/88)

In article <5016@well.UUCP> mcginnis@well.UUCP (A. Random Factor) writes:

>Anyone have any music suggestions for making a run into cyberspace??
>(i.e. - when you are dodging systems security, etc.)

How about Tangerine Dream?  (Synthesizer music -- excellent listening.)
Any of their more rambunctious tracks will do ... one of the best
albums is "Tangram," and it's flamboyant enough for ICE evasion, as
well.  Another good one is "Exit," and "Underwater Sunlight" is
also fantastic, though it may be a tad relaxed for your purposes.

-------
    Yet another missive from
    The writer in the closet
{harvard | think}!ima!haddock!laura
"Watch out for the Alerted Snakes of Consequence" -- Mindplayers

bdb@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Brian David Bisson) (01/19/88)

Well, the album Force Majeure by Tangerine Dream has a great cut on it called
Flight Through Metamorphic Rocks.  It conjures some great chase sequences at
high levels -- digital recording a must for the best effect.

Besides that, any other Tangerine Dream will usually be great.
--
In Real Life:			UUCP: ...ihnp4!codas!ufcsv!beach.cis.ufl.edu!bdb
Brian D. Bisson                 Internet: bdb@beach.cis.ufl.edu

hawley@mas1.UUCP (Ken Hawley) (01/20/88)

In article <5016@well.UUCP> mcginnis@well.UUCP (A. Random Factor) writes:
>Anyone have any music suggestions for making a run into cyberspace??
>(i.e. - when you are dodging systems security, etc.)

In my neighborhood of cyberspace, we play mostly baroque, with some
selected pre-baroque favorites (Gibbons) thrown in.  What other music
expresses the inherent complexity, with structure built on structure,
and form built on form, plus the majesty and ineffable beauty
of cyberspace, as well as the best Bach does?

Wetware harpsichord simulators, no sweeter sound exists.

--
Kenneth J. Hawley   (hawley@mas1)      Measurex Automation Systems
{...}pyramid!voder!mas1!hawley         Cupertino, CA / Detroit, MI

c60a-2ae@web6a.berkeley.edu (John Kawakami -O^O-) (01/21/88)

In article <5016@well.UUCP> mcginnis@well.UUCP (A. Random Factor) writes:

>Anyone have any music suggestions for making a run into cyberspace??
>(i.e. - when you are dodging systems security, etc.)

Devo and/or Eurythmics and/or Tangerine Dream played over a background
of Sonic Youth or Swans.  Anything that doesn't interfere too much with
your senses but still creates an atmosphere that does not let the outside
in.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
John Kawakami c60a-2ae@widow.berkeley.edu      -0~0-
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

jimh@ism780c.UUCP (Jim Hori) (01/22/88)

In article <5016@well.UUCP> mcginnis@well.UUCP (A. Random Factor) writes:
>Anyone have any music suggestions for making a run into cyberspace??
>(i.e. - when you are dodging systems security, etc.)

Knowing Gibson's appreciation of reggae, some
bass-heavy, radically edited, spacy and swirling
dub ala the Mad Professor's Dub Me Crazy series
on the UK Ariwa label would be perfect.

Technology meets roots in a head on collision.

Also right there: various tracks from Adrian Sherwood's ON-U
Sound label, and 'Pump Up the Volume (Remix)' from M|A|R|R|S on the
UK 4AD label.

jimh@ism780c.UUCP
awopbopaloobop
alopbamboom

dnelson@ddsw1.UUCP (Douglas Nelson) (01/22/88)

As far as the music to listen to "...when you are dodging systems security.."
I am a fan of Industrial Music.  "What?" you ask?  Well it is music that is made
electronically that has a solid, hard, fastpace beat.

Groups such as Front 242, Skinny Puppy, and Ministry fall into these catagories.

This type of music is guarenteed to make your heartbeat triple, you forehead
begin to break sweat, and make the whole issue a do-or-die situation...

Of course, I wouldn't do abovementioned acts!   :-)

							-Douglas

-Douglas Nelson
ihnp4!ddsw1!dnelson

mojo@reed.UUCP (Richard Castaigne) (01/23/88)

In article <5016@well.UUCP> mcginnis@well.UUCP (A. Random Factor) writes:

>Anyone have any music suggestions for making a run into cyberspace??
>(i.e. - when you are dodging systems security, etc.)

Public Image Ltd., especially _This Is What You Want...This Is What You Get_.
Philip Glass seems like a reasonable choice, too.

Disclaimer: I have no opinions.  These are Truth.
--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
\A tautology is a thing   \ Nathan Tenny            /  The opinions expressed/

jtfox@lion.waterloo.edu (Todd Fox) (01/23/88)

I'm really not sure what type of music fits the Cyberpunk vein but
with all the Tangerine Dream and Mannhein Steamroller being suggested
I feel safe in suggesting "As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls"
by Pat Metheny. If you like this, give "First Circle" a try (also
Pat Metheny). It's completely different from Wichita but awesome
just the same.

gordon@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Gordon Lee) (01/23/88)

I am ASTOUNDED that no one has yet mentioned the group which
in my mind best captures the spirit of cyberpunk:

Cabaret Voltaire !    (hear:  Pabst Blue Ribbon! )

"The Sword, the Covenant, and the Long Arm of the Lord"
"Microphonies"

Perhaps we attach the most value to those records which we happen to
play the most while reading.  But still, Cabaret Voltaire have some
of the coolest video footage around.  MONDO BIZZARO!
Their sense of the alien comes as close to the razor edge schtick
of cyberpunk as any musical troup.  If I could make the decision,
I would have them do the sountracks for any film versions, FIERCE
competition for Tangerine Dream and Vangelis in the category of
mood creation.

Speaking of alien, how about some Alien Sex Fiend.
And definitely Front 242, and recent efforts by Ministry for cripe sake.

  "When you do music, You gotta be a SLAVE to that..."
                Cabaret Voltaire quoting Charlie Manson

Gordon "I'm not a hippie, I'm a beatnik" Lee
--

                                Gordon Lee
                                Distributed Systems Group

boreas@bucsb.UUCP (The Cute Cuddle Creature) (01/24/88)

How about Yes?  Some of the tracks on 90125 sound appropriate.

Honestly, though, would you really WANT music going if you were
chasing around avoiding detection?  "Ooops, can't hit that key
yet, the beat doesn't come for a few more nanoseconds. . . ."

<Zorch>.  Scratch one singin' cowboy. . . .

			-- Michael.
--
BITNet: ccmaj@bostonu \ Michael Justice, the Cute Cuddle Creature @ The Zoo
ARPA: boreas@bucsb.bu.edu \ "Lord, give me my health, my strength, a hoe and a

dnelson@ddsw1.UUCP (Douglas Nelson) (01/25/88)

Silly me, did I not mention the tedious efforts by Front 242, Ministry,
Skinny Puppy, Nitzer Ebb, etc?  Surely I mentioned it earlier...

Or even the works by PiL, when you are feeling somewhat obnoxious...

------------------
Douglas Nelson
dnelson@ddsw1.UUCP
------------------

martin@lakesys.UUCP (Martin Wiedmeyer) (01/25/88)

Also industrial stuff:

	Einsturzende Neubaten
	Test Dept.

      Noisy Stuff:

	Big Black
	Sonic Youth

	Give them a try too...

	Mort
--
|	Marty Wiedmeyer				                           |
|       Lake Systems, Milwaukee, WI                                        |

barth@ihlpl.ATT.COM (BARTH RICHARDS) (01/26/88)

In article <475@ddsw1.UUCP> dnelson@ddsw1.UUCP (Douglas Nelson) writes:

>As far as the music to listen to "...when you are dodging systems security.."
>I am a fan of Industrial Music.  "What?" you ask?  Well it is music that is
>made electronically that has a solid, hard, fastpace beat.
>
>Groups such as Front 242, Skinny Puppy, and Ministry fall into these
>catagories.

To which I would add Einsturzende Neubauten, Borghesia, Throbbing Gristle,
Psychic TV, Test Dept., Peach of Immortality, Liabach, and Current 93.

  888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888
  88                                                                       88
  88  What's the ugliest part of your body?          Barth Richards        88
  88  What's the ugliest part of your body?          AT&T Bell Labs        88
  88  Some say your nose, some say your toes,        Naperville, IL        88
  88  But I think it's your mind....                 !ihnp4!ihlpl!barth    88
  88                                                                       88
  88           -The Mothers of Invention                                   88
  88                                                                       88
  888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

michaels@tekigm2.TEK.COM (Michael Schaeffer) (01/28/88)

My first thoughts in response to this topic were that, in a world dominated
by big business (market only what sells) and government (regulate anything
you, the elected, don't like), the only music available on the air would be
contemporary versions of Whitney Houston and Phil Collins. Underground
bands could survive, but only on a local basis.

In article <8671@ism780c.UUCP> jimh@ism780c.UUCP (Jim Hori) writes:
>Knowing Gibson's appreciation of reggae...

I must agree on this point, however. The world gets "smaller" every day. In
Gibsons (or Dicks) smaller world, popular music would likely be music more
worldly, i.e. popolar in places other than north america, europe and
japan, such as reggae.

jojo@astroatc.UUCP (Jon Wesener) (01/30/88)

In article <2441@tekigm2.TEK.COM> michaels@tekigm2.UUCP (Michael Schaeffer) writes:
>My first thoughts in response to this topic were that, in a world dominated
>by big business (market only what sells) and government (regulate anything
>you, the elected, don't like), the only music available on the air would be
>contemporary versions of Whitney Houston and Phil Collins. Underground

(gag! a fate worse than death)

>bands could survive, but only on a local basis.

Actually, I'd think otherwise.  As technology expands the dissemination of
information seems to expand with it.  Look at the availability of movies
now that vcrs are common.  Any movie is available, not just what the theatre's
are showing.  There are also video companies that release only on video and
not on the big screen making it possible for more movies to be made than
previously.

The same is true with music.  The technology movement going on in music is
making it possible for any band to cut an album of very high quality for
real cheap.  Being closely linked with local bands and underground music
I've seen the effect of $500 4-track recorders, midi-interfaces, and
pc's being used for patching and sequencing.  I'm expecting an explosion
of new music any year now, and actually experiencing it to some degree.

I expect that in the future, your home entertainment system will be hooked
up to your personal computer.  Movies, music, games, programs, etc will be
stored and retrieved at your will.  I also expect networks to become
common in the home.  Right now, you probably have a lot of information
being pumped into your home at 9600 baud over your cable line, I do.  This
will probably be expanded as technology grows to be 2 way and possibly
nicer than usenet.  If the above are just files, I could see movies, albums,
etc being sent over these nets, or from bbs's even.  The only problem would
be for bands to collect money in this method.  But think about if you did it
shareware wise.  Instead of paying for an album manufactured by some inbetween
record company, you could send a fraction of the album cost directly to the
band and download the album yourself...

I think information may really flow in the future.  Just look at how public
domain(and not so public domain) software and images are spreading on BBS's
and USENET and other comercial networks like GENIE.  I couldn't believe how
my game spread across the country from the middle of nowhere in a couple of
weeks!

any comments?
--j
--
jon wesener
... {seismo | harvard | ihnp4} ! {uwvax | cs.wisc.edu} ! astroatc!jojo

"if it makes you happy, it will make you weak..."

erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) (02/01/88)

In article <5016@well.UUCP>, mcginnis@well.UUCP (Paul McGinnis) writes:

> Anyone have any music suggestions for making a run into cyberspace??
> (i.e. - when you are dodging systems security, etc.)
>
> I prefer pulsating synth music such as:
> ---> Sexcrime (1984) - The Eurythmics
> ---> Doubleplusgood - The Eurythmics
> ---> Hot Doggies - Colourbox
> ---> Black Planet - Sisters of Mercy
> ---> Excellent Birds - Laurie Anderson

My suggestions:

-- Silence.  Somehow, I didn't think about sound when I was reading...
   but if I had to pick music..hm...
-- saint of the pit - Diamanda Galas
-- Interstellar Overdrive - Pink Floyd

Maybe we could get The Residents to do some original theme music?
They did some for Pee-Wee's Playhouse, ya know..

Oh yeah...Something by Tuxedeomoon (while I'm on musicians from the
Ralph Record label)... maybe I should add:

-- What's the Use? - Tuxedomoon
and of course we cannot forget:
-- Blue Danube Waltz (I think I imprinted with that music and space.)

For _Neuromancer_ as a whole, though... If I were to score the movie, the
soundtrack would include:
-- Battery - Metallica      |
-- Ace of Spades - Motorhead| for Chiba city scenes

Mutabaruka and Bob Marley and the Wailers for Freeside scenes
--
J. Eric Townsend ->uunet!nuchat!flatline!erict smail:511Parker#2,Hstn,Tx,77007
Just another journalist with too much computing power.| 'Hey, watch me ollie

erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) (02/02/88)

Kraftwerk and Laurie Anderson sure, great! I'd almost forgotten about
Kraftwerk...

But Mannheim Steamroller?  Yuck.  I don't see how they
or any Windham Hill (Mindless Mill?) type band could even be *considered*.
Yuck yuck yuck. Pop from the Pop Pablum Generator processed with the
Random New Wave Modulator using a New Age Seed.  Yuck. :-)

Oh, I forgot some other music:
Partytime (Zombie or Selena mix) - 45 Grave
Sex and Violence - The Exploited

Maybe some old gothic-type rock?  Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult or something?
--

seven@nuchat.UUCP (David Paulsen) (02/02/88)

In article <345@flatline.UUCP>, erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) writes:

>Maybe some old gothic-type rock?  Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult or something?
                                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah!  Cultosaurus Erectus, Revolution By Night, Fire of Unknown Origin,
Tyranny and Mutation, and ...Club Ninja?  Or is that album too mainstream-
sounding?  Great cover.

--
David Paulsen - CHARTER MEMBER, WILLIAM WINDOM FAN CLUB    ..uunet!nuchat!seven

"Matt!  Where's your crew??"  "On the 3rd planet..."   "There IS no 3rd planet."
 [pause]  "Don't you think I know that?!  There was, but NOT ANY MORE!!"

robert_mike_gutierrez@cup.portal.com (02/02/88)

Com'on all of you. Lets try for some REAL old-fashioned punk,
like Bow Wow Wow (with Annabelle Llewyn) or my favorite,
The Flirts, who combined old bubblegum & punk (remember "Jukebox"?).
True, the Residents do get honorable mention, but where are the
albums. Also for honorable mention....The Angry Samoans.....

robert-michael (sun!portal!cup.portal.com!robert.mike.gutierrez)

rahubbs@rose.waterloo.edu (Robert (netJunkie) Hubbs) (02/04/88)

Hey what about Isao Tometa (sp)
He was one of the  first to do synth. only bassed music.

It was great stuff, even with some of the most primitive equipment.

Hey! Who took the cork off my lunch?

Robert (NetJunkie) Hubbs

steve@crcmar.crc.uucp (Steve Ardron) (02/22/88)

in article <616@nuchat.UUCP>, seven@nuchat.UUCP (David Paulsen) says:

> In article <345@flatline.UUCP>, erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) writes:
>>
>>Maybe some old gothic-type rock?  Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult or something?
>                                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Yeah!  Cultosaurus Erectus, Revolution By Night, Fire of Unknown Origin,
> Tyranny and Mutation, and ...Club Ninja?  Or is that album too mainstream-
> sounding?  Great cover.

  How about Sole Survivor, or Veteran of the Psychic Wars? They seem a little
more appropriate to me. But then again, I prefer New Wave music, and these
follow that side of B.O.C. rather than the metal side. I think Depeche Mode,
Ultravox, Love and Rockets etc. work rather well, though I like somebodies
mentioning Sisters of Mercy (which album was the mentioned song off of? I've
only heard Floodland). What about some Bauhaus to?
						      Stevie.