[alt.cyberpunk] Cyberpunk and Speed

ugcherk@sunybcs.uucp (Kevin Cherkauer) (02/23/88)

In article <808@ut-emx.UUCP> legare@ut-emx.UUCP (BoB teCh) writes:
>tell me, do you remember when 300 baud was IT? the fastest? ok.. then 1200?
>2400? nowdays they got 9600 for personal use and big companies use 196000 or so.
>fastfastfast. if it don't run fast enough MAKE it go faster. the power's in
>YOUR hands, cowboy. more memory... faster chips... faster, bigger drives...
>and more and more... gotta keep up with the info flow... the scroll's moving
>on us, gotta keep up. gofastgofastgofast. maybe you catch up to it... then it
>gets faster. moremoremore..

Which is why the music of
cyberpunk just has to be
SPEED METAL !!!!!!!!!!!!

(I'm listening to Slayer's "Reign in Blood" right now!
If you want to listen to music that parallels cyberpunk, i.e. SPEED, this
"album" (10 songs, 28 min. 26 sec. or something like that total) for you.

--   ....sunybcs!ugcherk    --  Kevin Cherkauer  --    (This space for rent)  --                                                                                Romeo, Romeo! / Wherefore-art-thou-Romeo!
Avast! Fair Juliet swooneth! / As the winter clouds doth trundle o'er the even  sky, / and a cock croweth but not, / betwixt and betweath, so ith the fool /    e'er the sanctuary of my demise.

clong@topaz.rutgers.edu (Chris Long) (02/25/88)

In article <8749@sunybcs.UUCP>, Kevin Cherkauer writes:

> Which is why the music of
> cyberpunk just has to be
> SPEED METAL !!!!!!!!!!!!

My votes:

Sisters of Mercy, the Sisterhood, the Damned, the The, Cassandra Complex,
Doc Tahri, some Devo, Trans-x, any very heavy metal (Motorhead, Judas
Priest, etc), some Kraftwerk, any real punk (Dead Boys, etc).

Basically any kind of music can be considered cyberpunk (within
reason, no Donny & Marie); whether or not it is cyberpunk will depend
on the attitude of the listener.  Cyberpunk is: being a techno-loner
without being a techno-nerd, complete acceptence of technology (the
exact opposite of say Future Shock), ... I could go on.  I have my
own personal views on this, I guess.
--

Chris Long
Rutgers University

laszlo@sigi.Colorado.EDU (Laszlo Nemeth) (02/26/88)

In article <18324@topaz.rutgers.edu> clong@topaz.rutgers.edu (Chris Long) writes:
>In article <8749@sunybcs.UUCP>, Kevin Cherkauer writes:
>
>> Which is why the music of
>> cyberpunk just has to be
>> SPEED METAL !!!!!!!!!!!!
>
>My votes:
>
>Sisters of Mercy, the Sisterhood, the Damned, the The, Cassandra Complex,
>Doc Tahri, some Devo, Trans-x, any very heavy metal (Motorhead, Judas
>Priest, etc), some Kraftwerk, any real punk (Dead Boys, etc).

how about Bauhuas: Double Dare, In a Flat field, Belolugosi's dead, and
there very in good version of Ziggy stardust?
Big Black, which could be described as synth,fast,punk.
Front 242, just listen to them.
Visage. need more be said?
The Cult, The Church, Clan Xymox (sp on last), Joy Division, and Propoganda.

Now where can i get my hands on Cassandra Complex? I can't find it anywhere
here in wonderfull Colo.

Laszlo Nemeth
laszlo@boulder.colorado.edu
I wish i had some SOAM's and was SOAing

clong@topaz.rutgers.edu (Chris Long) (02/26/88)

In article <4513@sigi.Colorado.EDU>, Laszlo Nemeth writes:

> how about Bauhuas: Double Dare, In a Flat field, Belolugosi's dead, and
> there very in good version of Ziggy stardust?
> Big Black, which could be described as synth,fast,punk.

Great!  I feel that their song "Racer X" may well epitomize cyberpunk,
or at least a certain flavor of it.

> Front 242, just listen to them.
> Visage. need more be said?
> The Cult, The Church, Clan Xymox (sp on last), Joy Division, and Propoganda.

All good choices.

> Now where can i get my hands on Cassandra Complex? I can't find it anywhere
> here in wonderfull Colo.

It's an English import, may be hard to find.
--

Chris Long
Rutgers University