[alt.cyberpunk] Keeping Alt.cyberpunk ASIS

cwyatt@ascella.usc.edu (Christopher Wyatt) (03/03/88)

Alt.cyberpunk was the only reason I even began reading USENET newsgroups.
The concept is good and will eventually prove itself worthy.  The current
problems with the group can be overcome - simply ask people to limit
their ramblings (such as this one) to the overlying themes of cyberpunk.

I think some of us have only been exposed to "Brazil" and L.A. Times
articles on people like Gibson.  This newsgroup, therefore, can become
an educational forum, as it were, concerning the themes it was founded
to represent.

Listen people, to put it rather bluntly, junk food and clothing have
little to do with the major concerns of true cyberpunk.  Once again,
I think someone should surmise what "cyberpunk" implies:

Technology (people developing and using it) out of control...
The illogical, inhumane, progress of our species.
The pessimistic fear that mankind might already be the slave of its own
    creations.  (What would I do without an ATM card at my Bank?)
Possible reconciliations between man and his creations (artful uses of
    technology) before "it's too late," whatever that means.
A broad base of technocrats controlling the future without philosophical
    debates taking place.

Whoever posted the message declaring cyberpunks are people who just don't
care anymore, mainly because there's no use in caring, apparently thinks
Big Science is too big to control - I don't agree.

That's what this newsgroup is all about - a debate, an exchange of ideas,
and the slight hope we can help each other avoid Big Science a little
longer, if not forever.

I don't care about tie-dyed shirts and twinkies.  Mankind itself is more
important.

Thank you for your time....

Christopher Scott Wyatt                Student Oriented Software
922 E. Cambridge                       3296 S. Mooney Blvd.
Visalia, CA 93277                      Suite # 148
                                       Visalia, CA 93277

So what if God exists?  I'm here to help mankind, not God...

gorin@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Amy Gorin) (03/05/88)

In article <7359@oberon.USC.EDU> cwyatt@ascella.usc.edu () writes:

>That's what this newsgroup is all about - a debate, an exchange of ideas,
>and the slight hope we can help each other avoid Big Science a little
>longer, if not forever.
>I don't care about tie-dyed shirts and twinkies.  Mankind itself is more
>important.
>So what if God exists?  I'm here to help mankind, not God...

Gag me with a Cattle Prod.

ARPA: gorin@media-lab.media.mit.edu *  Buy in, Log on, Work out.
UUCP: [mit-eddie!]mit-amt!gorin     *

ansley@sunybcs.uucp (William Ansley) (03/06/88)

In article <7359@oberon.USC.EDU> cwyatt@ascella.usc.edu () writes:

[...]

>I don't care about tie-dyed shirts and twinkies.  Mankind itself is more
>important.

[...]

>Christopher Scott Wyatt                Student Oriented Software
>922 E. Cambridge                       3296 S. Mooney Blvd.
>Visalia, CA 93277                      Suite # 148
>                                       Visalia, CA 93277

More important than tied-died shirts, sure.  But, mankind more important than
TWINKIES!  Come on!

You may notice there is no 8-> above.  I know a few people I would consider
more important than any sort of material possesion, but I wouldn't give a
twinkie for mankind in the abstract (and I don't even like twinkies).

"That would be some twinkie!" - Ghostbusters

William H. Ansley, Computer Science Graduate Student
uucp:	  ..!{ames,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!ansley
internet: ansley@cs.buffalo.edu         bitnet:	  ansley@sunybcs.bitnet
[or: ansley%cs.buffalo.edu@relay.cs.net, or:  ansley@buffalo.csnet]