[alt.cyberpunk] Alternative Audio Stimulation

crds@ncoast.UUCP (Glenn A. Emelko) (02/07/88)

Of course, I *do* listen to most of the posted "preferences," though I have
also taken some notes on a few new ideas, however, there seems to be a slight
oversight....

When I'm really getting into some SERIOUS hacking, the beat-frequency from the
multiple fans running (I can hear 5 distinctly right now) can really become a
part of the whole experience, blending in multiple ways to cause peaks and
nodes of sound pressures to move about the room, becoming less directional and
more "ambiatic" in nature.  Add to that the occasional kick-in noise of the
gas furnace in the next room (sounds like a muffled rocket engine) and the
occasional airplane overhead, and you have a complete "cyber-symphony" which
is unique every time.

Oh yes, the cat likes it too.

Glenn A. Emelko
(crds@ncoast, aka ...!ihnp4!cbosgd!mandrill!hal!ncoast!crds in bad weather)

         "Bulls*it must be scientifically based."  ...Promad, 1986

tom@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Thomas C Hajdu) (02/10/88)

In article <1652@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> tom@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Thomas C Hajdu) writes:
 > In article <3a16fe27.b263@hi-csc.UUCP> giebelhaus@hi-csc.UUCP (Timothy R. Giebelhaus) writes:
 > >In article <1630@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> tom@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Thomas C Hajdu) writes:

>> The REAL offense, however, was the reliance on
>> music of the past for describing a culture of an imagined future.

>I understand your point and while it does seem an ironic juxtoposition
>there are some things that transcend time, true aesthetics for one.

Explain what you mean by true aesthetics transcending time. As far
as I know, no living experience transcends time.
Neither Beethoven nor your blood-letting-type remedy for my headache.

jshea@reed.UUCP (Jackson Shea) (03/12/88)

>Explain what you mean by true aesthetics transcending time. As far
>as I know, no living experience transcends time.
>Neither Beethoven nor your blood-letting-type remedy for my headache.

If I may be so bold as to jump into this conversation, but I just couldn't re-
sist the mention of aesthetics.  I'd like to bounce around this interpretation
I've cooked up.

I find true aesthetics is transcendant because the essence of qualifying it as
"true" transcends the mere experience itself and the music (or painting, or
ornate belt buckle from Guatemala) becomes a mere vehicle through which the
"true" aesthetic is transported.  The true aesthetic can be seen as an inten-
sity of emotion.  The qualification of this emotion would would again make it
experience and therefore (granted) time-dependent.  But if we look at true aes-
thetics as the intensity of happiness, sadness, anger, calm, etc. we the real-
ize that there is something which is enduring in Beethoven which is not found
in Wham or Duran Duran (all fans of aforementioned groups, please refrain from
flaming criticisms on the net, that's why God created e-mail before the net).

  ___                                ()
 (   >         /                     /\    /
  __/___.  _. /_  _   ______        /  )  /_  _  __.
 / / (_/|_(__/ <_/_)_(_) / <_____ (/__/__/ /_</_(_/|_________
<_/

Jackson Shea
jshea@reed.uucp
=======================================
We must make the injustice visible.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

	-Gandhi

fastrax@dasys1.UUCP (Jonathan Herbert) (03/13/88)

In article <8459@reed.UUCP>, jshea@reed.UUCP (Jackson Shea) writes:

> >Explain what you mean by true aesthetics transcending time. As far
> >as I know, no living experience transcends time.
> >Neither Beethoven nor your blood-letting-type remedy for my headache.
>
> If I may be so bold as to jump into this conversation, but I just couldn't re-
> sist the mention of aesthetics.  I'd like to bounce around this interpretation
> I've cooked up.
>
> I find true aesthetics is transcendant because the essence of qualifying it as
> "true" transcends the mere experience itself and the music (or painting, or
> ornate belt buckle from Guatemala) becomes a mere vehicle through which the
> "true" aesthetic is transported.  The true aesthetic can be seen as an inten-
> sity of emotion.

Actually, Philip Rawson in his book Drawing gives a good
discussion of aesthetics, and the driving force behind the urge
to create.  He emphasizes the importance of the numinous, by
which I understood that which was so enmeshed in the meaning of
to be, that there was entry into 'mythic time'.  A 'time beyond
time' would seem to me to transcend time.  In spiritual
experiences that I have had, either while painting or dancing or
other more personal 'times,' Time has indeed seemed to
'disappear.'

A bunch of time seems to have gone into that signature!

--
Jonathan Herbert
Big Electric Cat Public UNIX            When the going gets strange,