[alt.cyberpunk] Cyberpunk References

DrOdd@cup.portal.com (02/15/88)

What follows are some Cyberpunk media references compiled by Cyberpunk
International. Not all of them are totally Cyberpunk. There is disagreement
about some of these, but all of them have some cyberpunk elements, even if it
is nothing more then a certain mood. Even if the definition of Cyberpunk is a
little strained by some of them, this is a valuble list for anybody who wants
to know what Cyberpunk is all about. If you have anything to add, I would be
obliged if you sent me e-mail so that I can share it with everybody else.
Enjoy.

Dr. Odd
#####################################

Some Cyberpunk References

Fiction Literature

*"Neuromancer" by William Gibsen
*"Count Zero" by William Gibsen
*"Hardwired" by Walter Jon Williams
*"Voice of the Whirlwind" by Walter Jon Williams
*"Burning Chrome" short stories by William Gibsen
*"The Artificial Kid" by Bruce Sterling
*"Schismatrix" by Bruce Sterling
*"Mirrorshades: The Cyberpunk Anthology" edited by Bruce Sterling
*"Shockwave Rider" by John Brunner
*Vaccum Flowers by Michael Swanwick
*"Dr. Adder" by J.K. Jeter
*"Software" by Rudy Rucker
*"Nova" by Samuel Delany
*"The Running Man" by Richard Bachman
*"A Clockwork Orange" by Anthony Burgess
*"Nova Express" by William Burroughs
*"Nova" by Samuel Delaney
*"Little Heroes" by Norman Spinard
*"When Gravity Fails" by George Alec Effinger
*"Eclipse" by John Shirley

Non Fiction Literature

*"The Media Lab: Inventing the Future at MIT" by Steward Brand
*"The Third Wave" by Alvin Toffler
*"Future Shock" by Alvin Toffler
*"Technologies of Freedom: On Free Speech on an Electronic Age" by Ithiel de
Sola Pool

Movies

Bladerunner
Repo Man
Liquid Sky
Cafe Flesh
Mad Max
The Road Warrior
Mad Max III: Beyond Thunderdome
The Terminator
Alien
Videodrome
Scanners
Robocop
Rollerball

Video

Max Headroom (ABC Series)
Alive From Off Center (PBS Series)

laura@haddock.ISC.COM (The writer in the closet) (02/17/88)

In article <3223@cup.portal.com> DrOdd@cup.portal.com writes:
>What follows are some Cyberpunk media references compiled by Cyberpunk
>International. Not all of them are totally Cyberpunk.

Well, if they don't have to be *totally* Cyberpunk, I would definitely
want to add "Mindplayers," by Pat Cadigan.  I know some folk in this
newsgroup didn't like it, but I thought it was *fabulous.*  Pick
a neurosis, any neurosis, and try it on for a day!  Or find the
synthetic personality that's really YOU!  Or swap memories with someone ...

-------
    Yet another missive from
    The writer in the closet
{harvard | think}!ima!haddock!laura
"But Commander, if winning is not important ... why keep score?"

DrOdd@cup.portal.com (02/23/88)

DrOdd@cup.portal.com
#####################################

[...]

linhart@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mike Threepoint) (03/05/88)

Frperg-Zrffntr: Or fher gb qevax lbhe Binygvar.

I didn't see the film Soylent Green in there.  I caught it on TV
recently (I'd wanted to see for a while) right after a showing of
Logan's Run.  It certainly passes my criteria.

--
"Science does not remove the terror of the gods."  | Mike Threepoint
			-- J.R. "Bob" Dobbs	   | linhart@topaz.rutgers.edu

merchie@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Anthony Wiggins) (03/14/88)

The problem with Soylent Green is that it could take place, with or without
the technology that's associated with cyberpunk.  The characteristics of
Soylent Green are over-population (not a function of technology), and
a disapplication of medical/biological technology (borderline, at best).

If anything, Soylent Green seemed to be lacking in any kind of technical
prowess, where humanity is the only machine I saw. [or lack thereof]

....just a thought to embroil upon.....