[alt.cyberpunk] Brazil

tjfs@otter.hple.hp.com (Tim Steele) (02/15/88)

For those who have seen "Brazil" (the rest should go and see it!):

Which ending is the "right" one, in your opinion?  Does the film have a
"right" ending anyway?

Tim

masticol@clash.rutgers.edu (Steve Masticola) (02/21/88)

Tim Steele writes:

> For those who have seen "Brazil" (the rest should go and see it!):
> Which ending is the "right" one, in your opinion?  Does the film have a
> "right" ending anyway?

The "right" ending is (my opinion) the one shown. Fantasy trumps
reality, as it must in a reality so fantastically baleful.

"He's gone. We'll never get him now."
--
	     Steve Masticola (masticol@paul.rutgers.edu)
		      Hill 137 - (201) 932-3766

barth@ihlpl.ATT.COM (BARTH RICHARDS) (02/23/88)

In article <810002@otter.hple.hp.com> tjfs@otter.hple.hp.com (Tim Steele)
writes:

>For those who have seen "Brazil" (the rest should go and see it!):
>
>Which ending is the "right" one, in your opinion?  Does the film have a
>"right" ending anyway?

Huh?

I've only seen one ending to BRAZIL.  Please elaborate.

  888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888
  88                                                                       88
  88  A squid eating dough in a polyethelene         Barth Richards        88
  88  bag is fast and bulbous.  Got me?              AT&T Bell Labs        88
  88                                                 Naperville, IL        88
  88                 - Captian Beefheart             !ihnp4!ihlpl!barth    88

steve@crcmar.crc.uucp (Steve Ardron) (02/24/88)

From article <810002@otter.hple.hp.com>, by tjfs@otter.hple.hp.com (Tim Steele):
> For those who have seen "Brazil" (the rest should go and see it!):
>
> Which ending is the "right" one, in your opinion?  Does the film have a
> "right" ending anyway?

  I thought that he was being tortured through the entire film, and that
everything else that happened was just his fevered imagination. Of course,
as you said, almost anything could be read into the ending, as was
probably intended.
					     Stevie.

tjfs@otter.hple.hp.com (Tim Steele) (02/24/88)

Well, there's the one where the hero dies in the chair, and there's the one
where he goes off and starts a new life with his girlfriend.  Which one is the
dream and which one is reality?

Tim

phaedrus@flatline.UUCP (james hartman) (02/25/88)

In article <810002@otter.hple.hp.com>, tjfs@otter.hple.hp.com (Tim Steele) writes:
> For those who have seen "Brazil" (the rest should go and see it!):
>
> Which ending is the "right" one, in your opinion?  Does the film have a
> "right" ending anyway?
>
> Tim

OK, just what ARE the endings, anyway?  I think a list from someone who has
seen the movie more recently than I would be a Good Thing To Have.  However,
if memory serves, after Sam is strapped into the chair in the torture chamber,
he imagines the rescue sequence; this is proved at the end of the film when he
is shown driting into the clouds still in the chair - and the way Jack and
Mr. Whasisface are looking at him, "over" the "house in the valley" shot.

--
                James Hartman ->uunet!nuchat!flatline!phaedrus
"Human beings believe everything is alive - water, stones, air.  The white man

barth@ihlpl.ATT.COM (BARTH RICHARDS) (03/02/88)

In article <810003@otter.hple.hp.com> tjfs@otter.hple.hp.com (Tim Steele)
writes:

>Well, there's the one where the hero dies in the chair, and there's the one
>where he goes off and starts a new life with his girlfriend.  Which one is the
>dream and which one is reality?

Neither.  Neither of the two endings you mentioned were in the film.  The
hero imagines the "new life with the girlfriend" ending while strapped in
the chair and he doesn't die in the film.  The end shows him siting in the
chair humming to himself.  Our view then shifts back to imagination, and
we see him floating off into the clouds, still strapped to the chair,
showing us that he has made the only escape left to him.

  888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888
  88                                                                       88
  88  A squid eating dough in a polyethelene         Barth Richards        88
  88  bag is fast and bulbous.  Got me?              AT&T Bell Labs        88
  88                                                 Naperville, IL        88
  88                 - Captain Beefheart             !ihnp4!ihlpl!barth    88
  88                                                                       88
  888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

tjfs@otter.hple.hp.com (Tim Steele) (03/04/88)

I don't remember the bit where he's in the clouds strapped into his chair!

I heard the US version of the film was censored heavily.. I wonder if the
ending you saw was substantially different?

Tim

ccs026@deneb.ucdavis.edu (-=paul=-) (03/16/88)

Jackson Shea writes:
>                                      But the human repo-crew comes in and in
>the US version, it immediately cuts to where Sam is sitting in the chair.  I
>heard that in the UK version, Jill gets shot and other miscillaneous things
>happen in the missing 5 min.  This also confirms the fact that Sam was halluci-
>nating if there was ever any doubt.

hmm...the videocassette of _brazil_ that i rented
last weekend had the sounds of jill being shot -
is this also in the u.s. version?  i like the idea
of her being killed at that point, not because i'm
a bloodthirsty person in general, but because it tends
to add to the shock the viewer feels when the troopers
enter the room.  fits in well with other representations
of the genre as technologically aware, but humanly
ignorant.

i still can't get over "arthur dent" handing mrs. buttle
the receipt for her husband...

>Jackson Shea
>jshea@reed.uucp
>"By God, What have I done?"
>		-David Byrne

-=paul=-
i've got the fire and i'm going to turn it on

seven@nuchat.UUCP (David Paulsen) (03/17/88)

Article <1458@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu>, ccs026@deneb.ucdavis.edu (-=paul=-) writes:
- hmm...the videocassette of _brazil_ that i rented
- last weekend had the sounds of jill being shot -
- is this also in the u.s. version?  i like the idea
- of her being killed at that point, not because i'm
- a bloodthirsty person in general, but because it tends
- to add to the shock the viewer feels when the troopers
- enter the room.  fits in well with other representations
- of the genre as technologically aware, but humanly
- ignorant.

Isn't he yelling something like "she's dead!  She's dead!" over and over,
trying to protect her?  For me, that was ironic since it appeared that
the troopers made Jill match her paperwork -- by killing her.

--
David Paulsen - CHARTER MEMBER, WILLIAM WINDOM FAN CLUB    ..uunet!nuchat!seven

"Dirty Creature come my way, from the bottom of a big black lake;
 Shuffles up to my window, making sure I'm awake..."   --Split Enz