[alt.cyberpunk] Now what do I read?

mojo@reed.UUCP (pay no attention to that man behind the curtain) (03/21/88)

Well, I've finally exhausted William Gibson, at least until the new book
comes out.  So now what?  Is there any reasonably original, well-plotted
cyberpunk out there?
--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
\A tautology is a thing   \ Nathan Tenny            /  The opinions expressed/

) (03/21/88)

Off the top of my head:

Schizmatrix  Bruce Sterling.
Anything by Kim Stanley Robinson (waiting for the purists to scream...)
Stars in My Pockets, Like Grains of Sand  Sam Delany
--
	Soren Petersen,
	President,

dfschilling@tiger.waterloo.edu (David Schilling) (03/24/88)

In article <8504@reed.UUCP> mojo@reed.UUCP (pay no attention to that man behind the curtain) writes:

>Well, I've finally exhausted William Gibson, at least until the new book
>comes out.  So now what?  Is there any reasonably original, well-plotted
>cyberpunk out there?

I just noticed in "Tesseract^2", the entry for William Gibson in the author
section says that he is currently working on "Mona Lisa Overdrive", and
also "Alien 3".  Has anyone else heard about the latter?  "Tesseract^2" was
published last year.  It contains as it's first short story "Winter Market",
from "Burning Chrome".

--
    David Schilling

"Gradually we became aware of a hum in the room."
"Maybe it's the mantra of the walls and wiring."   - Glass

cs163agt@sdcc18.ucsd.EDU (David L. Smith) (03/25/88)

Walter Jon Williams has a new book out called Voice of the
Whirlwind.  It's cyberpunk, set in a more advanced future than
Gibson's in some ways.  For a change it's a cyberpunk book that
doesn't concentrate on people jacking in and out of cyberspace
and fighting with artificial intelligences.

I liked it a lot, check it out.

------
David L. Smith
ucsd!sdcc18!cs163agt
{sdcsvax!amos, pyramid, ihnp4!jack, uunet!uport}!sdeggo!dave

carole@rosevax.Rosemount.COM (Carole Ashmore) (03/25/88)

In article <8512@reed.UUCP>, soren@reed.UUCP (Hey Kids!!  Comics!!) writes:

> Off the top of my head:
>
> Schizmatrix  Bruce Sterling.
> Anything by Kim Stanley Robinson (waiting for the purists to scream...)
> Stars in My Pockets, Like Grains of Sand  Sam Delany
> --

NOVA, and BABEL-17 also by Delany
VALENTINA by Joe Haldeman and somebody else
TRUE NAMES, THE PEACE WAR, MAROONED IN REAL TIME by Vernor Vinge

					Carole Ashmore

jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) (03/27/88)

      Rudy Rucker's "Wetware", the sequel to "Software".