[alt.cyberpunk] Why Cyberspace?

webber@constance.rutgers.edu (Bob Webber) (05/06/88)

In article <9167@reed.UUCP>, mojo@reed.UUCP (a slow 12-bar in A) writes:

> At the risk of sounding like a heretic, I'll pose a question: why
> cyberspace?  What could a consensual hallucination as a means of information
> exchange offer that couldn't be more economically provided by less flashy
> means (telnet, f'rinstance)?

The problems is one of bandwidth.  A ``normal'' text-oriented presentation
of coming out line per line is essentially limited to the speed that
you can read it at.  A fullscreen text-presentation allows a more parallel
presentation of the text permitting various status values and such to
be constantly updated, the screen partioned into ``subwindows'' and ultimately
gives you input that is limited by how fast you can skim.  You still
have problems with screen size in that skimming is easier in a newspaper
than a magazine and similarly on a 1k by 1k bitmap terminal with a 19"
monitor than on a vt100.  However, text is not the input format that the
brain/eye system is optimized to process (both from an evolutionary point
of view and from an experiential point of view).  The imagery most commonly
processed by the brain/eye corresponds to stereo-2d imagery that can be
consistantly interpreted as a continuous sequence of ``views''of
a 3d scene.  Thus if one could figure out a good set of spatial metaphors
for normal computer interaction, something similar to cyberspace would
be an optimal idiom.  Currently very few people have access to equipment
that is capable of maintaining any such metaphors at a sufficient level
of realism to see what works and what doesn't.  So right now the state of
the art that I am aware of is: we don't really know what cyberspace
should look like, but it is reasonable to expect a payoff from investigating
the potential of cyberspace and so it is worthwhile trying to get
sufficient compute power to explore the possibilities of this approach
[if it doesn't pan out, I can always find something else to do with the
hardware :-)  ].  However, we have not reached the limit of non-cyberspace
approaches either (the desktop metaphor being limited by the fact that
most of us don't like 19" diagonal work desks nor using a rock (mouse) as a
drafting pen (for that matter, even the typing page metaphor of the vt100
(or drawing page of tek4014) could be significantly improved by replacing
the rs232 port with optical fiber and faster internal code processing to
give more realistic screen modification rates)).

----- BOB (webber@athos.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!athos.rutgers.edu!webber)