[net.micro] Z-100 blows away IBM-AT

GUBBINS@RADC-TOPS20.ARPA (Gern) (05/15/85)

Using a standard BASIC benchmark, the Z-100 (8/16-bit 8088) blows
away an IBM-AT (16-bit 80286 at 6 MHz).

the progam:

5 TIME$="00:00:00"
10 FOR X=1 TO 10000
20 IF SQR(X)<>INT(SQR(X)) THEN 40
30 PRINT SQR(X),
40 NEXT X
45 PRINT TIME$
50 END

NOTE:  This program also is an accuracy test, the correct results are
the numbers from 1 to 100.  The TRS-80, Apple, HP, C64 can't do it
right (they miss about 20 numbers).

The time for the 6 MHz IBM-AT is 1 min, 13 sec

The time for the standard 5 MHz Z-100 is 1 min, 13 sec

The time for a turboed 7.37 MHz Z-100 is 49 sec

The time for the newly released 8MHz Z-100 would be better still.

The Z-100 is faster, can do better color graphics, has a real keyboard,
has a second 8-bit CPU for CP/M and is less than half the price of the
IBM-AT.   The cost of being better is not being competely IBM compatible.

Cheers,
Gern
-------

sdyer@bbnccv.UUCP (Steve Dyer) (05/16/85)

> Using a standard BASIC benchmark, the Z-100 (8/16-bit 8088) blows
> away an IBM-AT (16-bit 80286 at 6 MHz).

Were you using the same BASIC interpreter in both machines?  The BASIC
benchmark might be standard, but certainly not the interpreters.  A number
of PC clones seem to have slightly "tweaked" Microsoft BASICs relative
to the PC.  I think a "sieve" object module from a single compiler and
run on both the Z100 and the PC/AT might give a better, less language
dependent benchmark.  That sounds like an interesting experiment given
your promising, but hardly conclusive, results.
--
/Steve Dyer
{decvax,linus,ima,ihnp4}!bbncca!sdyer

GUBBINS@RADC-TOPS20.ARPA (Gern) (05/16/85)

I wondered about that myself, but both BASICS are the same tweeked
version of GW-BASIC.   I still put it that if the IBM-AT is not allowed
to use its 80287 (I don't know if it is a standard feature) or if the
$200 8087 is put into the Z-100 - bringing them at software/hardware
parity, that the stock Z-100 (5MHz) will run any program at the same
speed (if not faster) than the IBM-AT.  Also, a turboed Z-100 (with a
Gernware or SDS 7.37MHz, a CDR 7.5MHz, or the Zenith newly released
8MHz Z-100 (or upgrade to an older Z-100)) will completely blow an IBM-AT
away in speed, at half the cost with 640x512 pixels in 8 (colors - 36
if you tweek).   I don't think an IBM-AT can beat that.

Doing a little checking last night, yielded that the stock IBM-AT at 6MHz
uses a memory wait state (so IBM can use cheap 5 MHz memory), so now
how fast is the machine?  Reports indicate that 1 Memory wait state
slows down throughput about 20-30% depending on the application.

The Z-100s don't have problems with their Winnies either...   (-:

I know I am taking vicious stabs at IBM, that one benchmark doesn't
prove much, but I was surprised myself, as I thought that the AT WOULD
be a lot faster than a Z-100.  It is faster than a 4.77MHz IBM-PC.

Cheers,
Gern
-------

ritzenth@bgsuvax.UUCP (ritzenth) (05/24/85)

After this short review, I've got to put my 2 cents worth in . . .

GUBBINS@RADC-TOPS20.ARPA (Gern) wrote:

>Using a standard BASIC benchmark, the Z-100 (8/16-bit 8088) blows
>away an IBM-AT (16-bit 80286 at 6 MHz).
>
>the progam:
>
>5 TIME$="00:00:00"
>10 FOR X=1 TO 10000
>20 IF SQR(X)<>INT(SQR(X)) THEN 40
>30 PRINT SQR(X),
>40 NEXT X
>45 PRINT TIME$
>50 END
>
>NOTE:  This program also is an accuracy test, the correct results are
>the numbers from 1 to 100.  The TRS-80, Apple, HP, C64 can't do it
>right (they miss about 20 numbers).
>
>The time for the 6 MHz IBM-AT is 1 min, 13 sec
>
>The time for the standard 5 MHz Z-100 is 1 min, 13 sec
>
>The time for a turboed 7.37 MHz Z-100 is 49 sec
>
>The time for the newly released 8MHz Z-100 would be better still.
>
>The Z-100 is faster, can do better color graphics, has a real keyboard,
>has a second 8-bit CPU for CP/M and is less than half the price of the
>IBM-AT.   The cost of being better is not being competely IBM compatible.
>
>Cheers,
>Gern

O.K. You've spent the time to read the above, now for my 2 cents . . .
I've been chided here for buying a not-so-IBM-Compatible, Sanyo 555-2.

I've upgraded it so that it would be a little more compatible, adding the
256K and installing the new Video Board (VB).  They now say that it is
approx. 80% compatible.  SO . . . how does it really compare to the
IBM-PC?

COMPUTER       VERSION               OUTPUT DIRECTED TO            TIME
========       =======               ==================            ====
IBM-PC         256K                       screen                   3:19

Sanyo          STANDARD                   screen                   4:37
               with Sanyo Basic

Sanyo          VIDEO BOARD                screen                   1:44
               with GW-Basic

Sanyo          VIDEO BOARD                printer                  1:40
               with GW-Basic

Can anyone out there in net-land explain these results?  How can a machine
that is running on the same CPU, a supposedly slower clock, and approximately
the same basic (at least all of the commands are the same) run twice as
fast as it's competitor?  The only difference between the 2 Sanyos is the
Video Board (similar to the IBM PC video board).

Also, why did the program run faster when the output was directed to the
printer?  When I studied operating systems, we were taught that the printer
was the slowest of the output devices.

Oh, yes, on BOTH machines, all 100 numbers were listed!

THANKS

Phil Ritzenthaler
cbosgd!osu-eddie!bgsuvax!ritzenth

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (05/28/85)

>From: ritzenth@bgsuvax.UUCP (ritzenth)
>
>After this short review, I've got to put my 2 cents worth in . . .
>
>GUBBINS@RADC-TOPS20.ARPA (Gern) wrote:
>
>>Using a standard BASIC benchmark, the Z-100 (8/16-bit 8088) blows
>>away an IBM-AT (16-bit 80286 at 6 MHz).
>>
>>the progam:
>>
>>5 TIME$="00:00:00"
>>10 FOR X=1 TO 10000
>>20 IF SQR(X)<>INT(SQR(X)) THEN 40
>>30 PRINT SQR(X),
>>40 NEXT X
>>45 PRINT TIME$
>>50 END
>>
>>NOTE:  This program also is an accuracy test, the correct results are
>>the numbers from 1 to 100.  The TRS-80, Apple, HP, C64 can't do it
>>right (they miss about 20 numbers).
>>
>>The time for the 6 MHz IBM-AT is 1 min, 13 sec
>>The time for the standard 5 MHz Z-100 is 1 min, 13 sec
>>The time for a turboed 7.37 MHz Z-100 is 49 sec
>
>O.K. You've spent the time to read the above, now for my 2 cents . . .
>I've been chided here for buying a not-so-IBM-Compatible, Sanyo 555-2.
>
>I've upgraded it so that it would be a little more compatible, adding the
>256K and installing the new Video Board (VB).  They now say that it is
>approx. 80% compatible.  SO . . . how does it really compare to the
>IBM-PC?
>
>COMPUTER       VERSION               OUTPUT DIRECTED TO            TIME
>========       =======               ==================            ====
>IBM-PC         256K                       screen                   3:19
>
>Sanyo          VIDEO BOARD                screen                   1:44
>               with GW-Basic
>
>Can anyone out there in net-land explain these results?  How can a machine
>that is running on the same CPU, a supposedly slower clock, and approximately
>the same basic (at least all of the commands are the same) run twice as
>fast as it's competitor?
>
>Oh, yes, on BOTH machines, all 100 numbers were listed!

The above was edited a bit, but I have tried to maintain the gist. To the
above results, let me add the following:

COMPUTER       VERSION               OUTPUT DIRECTED TO            TIME
========       =======               ==================            ====
Tandy 1000     256k			  screen		   1:38

AT&T 6300      640k			  screen		   0:32
(8mhz 8086)

At this point, the results seem to get too bizarre to be believable. What I
fail to see is how the standard (I assume) IBM-PC can pull a time so far
from that of the Tandy 1000 or Sanyo. If I read my spec sheets, the Tandy
and the IBM are very close. (By the way, I ran the benchmark on a standard
IBM-PC here and it really does take that long under BASICA.)

The AT&T numbers seem to look like the "turboed" Z-100 numbers, but its
very far from the PC AT numbers. Is there really that big a difference
between an 8086 running at 8mhz and an 80286 running at 6mhz?
--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

oaa@houxl.UUCP (O.ALEXANDER) (05/29/85)

>Using a standard BASIC benchmark, the Z-100 (8/16-bit 8088) blows
>away an IBM-AT (16-bit 80286 at 6 MHz).
>NOTE:  This program also is an accuracy test, the correct results are
>the numbers from 1 to 100.  The TRS-80, Apple, HP, C64 can't do it
>right (they miss about 20 numbers).

Their's can't, but my Atari 400 (1Mhz 6502) does it right.
It just takes it's time (40:02)!

				Owen Alexander microsys!oaa

indra@utai.UUCP (Indra Laksono) (05/30/85)

ritzenth@bgsuvax wrote

> >GUBBINS@RADC-TOPS20.ARPA (Gern) wrote:
> >
> >>Using a standard BASIC benchmark, the Z-100 (8/16-bit 8088) blows
> >>away an IBM-AT (16-bit 80286 at 6 MHz).
> >>
> >>the progam:
> >>
> >>5 TIME$="00:00:00"
> >>10 FOR X=1 TO 10000
> >>20 IF SQR(X)<>INT(SQR(X)) THEN 40
> >>30 PRINT SQR(X),
> >>40 NEXT X
> >>45 PRINT TIME$
> >>50 END
> >>
> >>NOTE:  This program also is an accuracy test, the correct results are
> >>the numbers from 1 to 100.  The TRS-80, Apple, HP, C64 can't do it
> >>right (they miss about 20 numbers).
> >>
> >>The time for the 6 MHz IBM-AT is 1 min, 13 sec
> >>The time for the standard 5 MHz Z-100 is 1 min, 13 sec
> >>The time for a turboed 7.37 MHz Z-100 is 49 sec
> >
> >O.K. You've spent the time to read the above, now for my 2 cents . . .
> >I've been chided here for buying a not-so-IBM-Compatible, Sanyo 555-2.
> >
> >I've upgraded it so that it would be a little more compatible, adding the
> >256K and installing the new Video Board (VB).  They now say that it is
> >approx. 80% compatible.  SO . . . how does it really compare to the
> >IBM-PC?
> >
> >COMPUTER       VERSION               OUTPUT DIRECTED TO            TIME
> >========       =======               ==================            ====
> >IBM-PC         256K                       screen                   3:19
> >
> >Sanyo          VIDEO BOARD                screen                   1:44
> >               with GW-Basic
> >

> >Oh, yes, on BOTH machines, all 100 numbers were listed!
>
> The above was edited a bit, but I have tried to maintain the gist. To the
> above results, let me add the following:
>
> COMPUTER       VERSION               OUTPUT DIRECTED TO            TIME
> ========       =======               ==================            ====
> Tandy 1000     256k			  screen		   1:38
>
> AT&T 6300      640k			  screen		   0:32
> (8mhz 8086)

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH SOMETHING FUNNY ***

I really can't say about the Tandy 1000, but I do have a sanyo 555-2 with
the video board.  Ok, so the video is faster than the pc, but how do you
account for all that snow in text programs ?  The only exception to this is
1-2-3 which is as clear as,well, a monitor.  dBase III, Supercalc, KEDIT
snows so much, you'd think it's christmas.

I have nothing to do with Sanyo other than that I happen to own a 555.

{allegra cornell decvax ihnp4 linus utzoo}!utcsri!utai!indra

peterb@pbear.UUCP (05/30/85)

I just had to throw in my two cents worth:

Using an IBM PC/XT running PC/IX as its OS, the program to find those
numbers who square roots are integers ran with the following times:

Using the 8087 coprocessor:

Real	11.7 (seconds!)
User	4.7  (run time in program)
Sys	6.7  (since context switch unloads 8087 registers)

Using subroutines for sqrt and floor (instead of using 8087 instructions):

Real	54.4
User	45.1
Sys	7.0

This just shows that here you are testing basics against one another, and
the math implementations. Start doing benchmarks in assembler to get the hard
core speed operation out of them, and also lets you have an exact grasp
of what you are comparing.

Peter Barada
{ihnp4!inmet|{harvard|cca}!ima}!pbear!peterb

gnome@olivee.UUCP (Gary Traveis) (06/01/85)

> Doing a little checking last night, yielded that the stock IBM-AT at 6MHz
> uses a memory wait state (so IBM can use cheap 5 MHz memory), so now
> how fast is the machine?  Reports indicate that 1 Memory wait state
> slows down throughput about 20-30% depending on the application.
>
> The Z-100s don't have problems with their Winnies either...   (-:
>
> I know I am taking vicious stabs at IBM, that one benchmark doesn't
> prove much, but I was surprised myself, as I thought that the AT WOULD
> be a lot faster than a Z-100.  It is faster than a 4.77MHz IBM-PC.
>
> Cheers,
> Gern
> -------

Let's face it, when taking the PC-AT's price/performance into consideration,
almost any similarly max-ed out system can run rings around the AT.

"But when Cray comes out with a $7.95 pocket-sized unit with full
  graphics, they'll still ask 'Is it IBM compatible?'"

maxg@tekig4.UUCP (Max Guernsey) (06/06/85)

In article <327@moncol.UUCP> john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) writes:
>>>Using a standard BASIC benchmark, the Z-100 (8/16-bit 8088) blows
>>>away an IBM-AT (16-bit 80286 at 6 MHz).
>>>
>>>the progam:
>>>
>>>5 TIME$="00:00:00"
>>>10 FOR X=1 TO 10000
>>>20 IF SQR(X)<>INT(SQR(X)) THEN 40
>>>30 PRINT SQR(X),
>>>40 NEXT X
>>>45 PRINT TIME$
>>>50 END
>>>The time for the 6 MHz IBM-AT is 1 min, 13 sec
>COMPUTER       VERSION               OUTPUT DIRECTED TO            TIME
>========       =======               ==================            ====
>AT&T 6300      640k			  screen		   0:32
>(8mhz 8086)

Now for my $.02 worth.  I have an AT at work and a 6300 at home and I tried out the benchmark just to see.  It's true.

The AT when booted with and unformatted C: and nothing in A: still "comes up"
in "cassett basic" I believe.  So the AT is probably still looking to ROM to
find some of the routines.

Would this explain the AT's turtle like behavior?

Max Guernsey, jr.

In article <119@tekig4.UUCP> maxg@tekig4ernsey.UUCP (Max Guernsey) writes:
>Now for my $.02 worth.  I have an AT at work and a 6300 at home and I tried
out the benchmark just to see for myself what happened.

>The AT when booted with an unformatted C: and nothing in A: still "comes up"
>in "cassett basic", I believe.  So the AT is probably still looking to ROM to

                              BASIC or BASICA on the
>find some of the routines.
>
>Would this explain the AT's turtle like behavior?

Max Guernsey, jr.

P.S. Does anybody have a good termcap that will work with the XTALK vt100
emulator.

maxg@tekig.UUCP (Max Guernsey) (06/08/85)

> [...]
>
>AT&T 6300      640k			  screen		   0:32
>(8mhz 8086)
>

>At this point, the results seem to get too bizarre to be believable. What I
>fail to see is how the standard (I assume) IBM-PC can pull a time so far
>from that of the Tandy 1000 or Sanyo. If I read my spec sheets, the Tandy
>and the IBM are very close. (By the way, I ran the benchmark on a standard
>IBM-PC here and it really does take that long under BASICA.)
>
>The AT&T numbers seem to look like the "turboed" Z-100 numbers, but its
>very far from the PC AT numbers. Is there really that big a difference
>between an 8086 running at 8mhz and an 80286 running at 6mhz?
>--
>Name:		John Ruschmeyer
>US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764
>Phone:		(201) 222-6600 x366
>UUCP:		...!vax135!petsd!moncol!john	...!princeton!moncol!john

Is it because the BASICA and BASIC on the AT still go to ROM for some of the
subroutines?

maxg@tekig5

PS has anybody got a good termcap for Crosstalk's vt100?

carlj@hp-pcd.UUCP (carlj) (06/08/85)

I benchmarked the same program on my Columbia (PClone) and measured
1:11.  Are you sure than the quoted time was for an AT and not an
XT?
        Carl Johnson
        ...!hplabs!hp-pcd!carlj