[alt.drugs] Don't even THINK about it! was Re: Did Eric write this?

oleg@quad1.UUCP (11/10/87)

In article <1764@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> dmjones@athena.mit.edu (David M. Jones) writes:
>	2.  Flood the system managers at puff with e-mail and try to
>	    make them realize that just putting /mading@puff/h:j in
>	    our kill files (for those of us who have that option) is
>	    not enough.  The problem of Eric Mading transcends such a
>	    simple solution.

NO!  Don't be a worse asshole than Mading himself!

YES, Eric Madind IS a dim-witted asshole and there are hardly more than 2-3
other like-mindless twits who agree with him.  YES, he offends us all and
we all dislike him profoundly.  YES, "Mading" may be a hoax and may be
someone's twisted idea of a joke.

... But does that mean we should kick people off the net any time they offend
us?!  NO!

A number of other people on the NET had been subject to attempts to drive
them of the NET.  The Brahms Gang, Rich Rosen, Ken Arndt, Foothead, Tim
Moroney, HASA as a whole... and, yes, I too had lost my USENET access at some
point because someone (a SPECIFIC someone with enough influence) did not like
me and my opinions.

YOU DON'T LIKE Eric Mading?!  Then IGNORE him,  or FLAME him, or E-MAIL to
him.  But do not start setting precedents of driving people off the NET because
someone disagrees with their opinions.

P.S.  Don't be mistaken -- I think that Eric Mading is an antisemitic, fascist
shit.  I wish he would just go away and leave the NET alone (or got
accidentally shot by DEA assholes, who he admires so much)...  But I do NOT
want ANYONE booted off the NET.  It sets a bad example.
--
Oleg Kiselev  --  oleg@quad1.quad.com -- {...!psivax|seismo!gould}!quad1!oleg
HASA, "A" Division

DISCLAIMER:  I don't speak for my employers.

dmjones@bloom-beacon.UUCP (11/12/87)

In article <1295@quad1.quad.com> oleg@quad1.quad.com (Oleg Kiselev) writes:
>NO!  Don't be a worse asshole than Mading himself!
>
>... But does that mean we should kick people off the net any time they offend
>us?!  NO!

You are right, of course.  I should have been clearer about what I
meant by a "solution" to this problem.  I'd be quite happy if someone
at puff would explain the Eric a few of the rules of the net and
convince him to put a little time into _thinking_ about his postings
first.  All I want is for Eric to be a little more responsible.  I
hope I didn't imply that I wanted Eric kicked off the net.

I agree with Oleg.  Please don't try to get Eric thrown off of the net.

Sheepishly,
David M. Jones (ESGGM)			    	|   "It was my my right
Real_Network: dmjones@athena.mit.edu	    	|       to die as well.
Fake_Net: ...!mit-eddie!mit-athena!dmjones  	|    Instead I live, and
USmail: 3 Ames Street; Cambridge, MA  02139 	|       live in Hell."

oconnor@sunray.UUCP (11/12/87)

In article <1784@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> dmjones@athena.mit.edu (David M. Jones) writes:

>In article <1295@quad1.quad.com> oleg@quad1.quad.com (Oleg Kiselev) writes:
>>... does that mean ... kick people off ...  they offend us?!  NO!
>
>You are right ... happy if someone ... explain to Eric ... rules of the net
>... put a little time into _thinking_ about his postings first ...  want ...
> Eric to be ... more responsible .. didn't imply ... wanted Eric kicked off
>I agree with Oleg.  Please don't try to get Eric thrown off ...
>
>Sheepishly,
>David M. Jones (ESGGM)
>Real_Network: dmjones@athena.mit.edu
>Fake_Net: ...!mit-eddie!mit-athena!dmjones
>USmail: 3 Ames Street; Cambridge, MA  02139

When following-up, some editing of other people's stuff, especially
their signatures, can save bandwidth. ( But so can not following up :-)

I'm afraid you've all missed something. You might ask, you might, is
there some Purpose, some subtle working of Fate or God or Chance, some
noble goal behind the presence of "Eric M." on the Net. Is some
constructive purpose served by the torrent of bigotry, hatred and
ignorence that flow from said electronic orifice? Some reason to
Encourage, yes even Promote, this "Eric M.", whoever, whatever,
whyever it is, to continue, unabated, unedited, unrestrained,
unthinkingly? You would think, at first, "No."

But you are Wrong !

Many indeed the noble purposes for which the sacred powers of "puff"
have subjected, nay not subjected but Blessed!, yes Blessed us with
the etherial presence of "Eric M." !

For Ponder This :

  Even Liberals need to be tolerant ! ( You heard it here first ! )
  Even Intolerance must be tolerated !
  Every person has a Right to Not be Educated !
  Every person has a Right to compensate for there own inadaquacies
    (especially there inability to spell) by thinking poorly of others!

But I digress. These are not the One True Noble Purpose of "Eric M."
Indeed, for it is this :

  Remember back when they had those big Bozo dolls, you know, the
inflatable ones ? And people would blow them up ( adults even, but kids
too) and punch them, strangle them, bite them, tie them up with silk
scarves, whatever ? And the doll, being brainless and full of hot air,
plus having most of its mass in its bottom, would bounce right back,
ready for more! Boy, what fun ! You couldn't punch out your boss, or
strangle your friends, or tie up your wife with silk scarves ( well,
maybe you could tie up your wife with silk scarves ) but you could
certainly wail away on that Bozo ! And it was Healthy, and Cathartic,
and Bozo never threatened to Sue you, either.

SO, Ponder This :

In what ways, given the properties of a Bozo doll, as described above,
can "Eric M." be considered an Electronic Bozo Doll ?

The rest is left as an exercise for the reader. But Encourage "Eric
M.": he keeps decent people everywhere from committing assault, and,
taken correctly, can lower their blood pressure, as well.

"Bozo" is probably a trade- or service-mark. "Eric M." is because I
forgot how many "d"s in "his" last name. A public service flame from ...
--
	Dennis O'Connor 	oconnor@sungoddess.steinmetz.UUCP ??
				ARPA: OCONNORDM@ge-crd.arpa