[alt.drugs] Just say "No, you're an idiot"

ldm@homxc.UUCP (the wharf rat) (02/11/88)

In article <187@soleil.UUCP>, grina@soleil.UUCP (Pete Grina) writes:

> My point was that drugs are  dangerous and stupid.
> It's a damn shame that things like heroin, cocaine, and
> AIDS exist.  Even without the AIDS risk, drug users are risking their
> lives.  If you can't believe this, just go out and buy a couple of grams
> of <insert favorite drug here> from a variety of dealers.

	Hey, aren't you the same weinie that posted the "The difference
between Liberals and us Real Folks is that you Liberals think you can do
whatever you want, but us Real Folks do whatever we're told" article ?
Well, look here, you Party-line Conservative That's-Immoral Uptight Constipated
Narrow-Minded Moralizing Bozo, people who use drugs are risking their lives
because some Goddamned Idiot Moralist (like you, putz) decided "Hey, gee, if we
don't make this illegal some poor moron might actually have to think for
himself".  You schmuck, it's not DRUGS that are dangerous, it's dealing
with criminals and buying black-market merchandise !!

	OK, so cocaine && opiates are addicting, and your average American
Young Person isn't taught how to be responsible and think before he does
something.  You probably couldn't make these things freely available without
damage.  And some drugs, like PCP, are poison.  But lots aren't....

	So what do you and your Yes-we-can-have-a-Police-State-Your-Lifetime
buddies do ?  Teach people about the dangers of these things, and urge them
to act intelligently ?? NOOOOO, YOU tell them that smoking marijuana will
Destroy Their Lives, and that One Dose of Cocaine will turn you into a
Mindless Fiend, if it doesn't kill ya outright.  So what happens then ?
"Gee, they lied to me about everything else, why should I believe what
they said about doing this?"

	If you really wanted to make a difference, you'd teach people
the truth about things, and help them to be the best that they can, instead
of trying to force them into your little robot molds.  People turn to addiction
out of desperation with their lives.  This desperation is a direct result of
the materialistic manipulative shallow suffocating prison that passes for
American Culture.   "Don't do drugs, just turn screws on an assembly line
like a good little robot for 25 years, then die and don't bother me, peon".
"Don't do drugs, if you need spiritual experiences, go to church.  My church."
"Don't do drugs, buy videocassettes".  Yuck.  Glad I opted out of all that
shit.  Including drugs, by the way...  There's other ways to enlightenment,
other ways to have a good time.  But people deserve to be free to choose
what works for them !  Not what works for some anal-retentive pin-headed
prick who needs a good motto for his campaign posters.

						the wharf rat
"Someday, life'll be smooth
like a raphsody, when I paint
my masterpiece"

TRADER@cup.portal.com (02/14/88)

In addition to Wharf Rat's posting I add the following -

I urge the right-wing "Just say no" lunatic fringe to carefully read
the US Constitution especially Article 1, Section 8 - Powers of Congress
and show me anywhere where the government is given the authority to
regulate private vices. This section contains provisos for regulating
commerce, but I have yet to find anywhere that gives any power to anyone
to legislate what adults do in private.

Amendment IV - Right of search and seizure regulated
"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and
effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures shall not be violated,
and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or
affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the
persons or things to be seized."

A question for the right wing - do you honestly think that using a tank
to drive through someone's house in search (as they do in Los Angeles)
of drugs, or kicking down doors and using heavily armed DEA agents in
surprise raids (as they do in Northern California - the CAMP program)
complies with the 4th Amendment to the Constitution???

                                          TRADER@cup.portal.com
                                          TRADER%cup.portal.com@sun.com

marek@ucrmath.UUCP (Marek Chrobak) (02/15/88)

In article <1289@homxc.UUCP>, ldm@homxc.UUCP (the wharf rat) writes:
> In article <187@soleil.UUCP>, grina@soleil.UUCP (Pete Grina) writes:
> >
> > My point was that drugs are  dangerous and stupid.
>

> 	Hey, aren't you the same weinie that posted the "The difference
                                 ^^^^^^

> Well, look here you Party-line Conservative That's-Immoral Uptight Constipated
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> Narrow-Minded Moralizing Bozo, people who use drugs are risking their lives
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> because some Goddamned Idiot Moralist (like you, putz) decided "Hey gee, if we

> himself".  You schmuck, it's not DRUGS that are dangerous, it's dealing
             ^^^^^^^^^^^

  Oh, ok. Perhaps Pete's point of view is somewhat oversiplified. This
makes it easy to argue with. But you cannot just tell why you think he
is wrong. You seem to feel this urge to insult and destroy anyone who
thinks different than you do. And from what you write it appears that
you call yourself a liberal. Don't you? You remind me of these "liberals"
who removed a certain drug opponent from the network about two months
ago. Some of them were posting jokes about him even after, when he could
not respond.

  It is very easy to call somebody names, it is much more difficult to
prove one's point. Sarcasm and mockery are usually used by those who
just do not have any reasonable arguments. Listen to this:

  You probably think that you article looks like a quick-wit response.
No, it does not. With these unnatural "look-how-bright-I-am" sentences
it rather looks like a two days work with vi and a dictionary. etc

 See what I mean? I can do it, though I am just a dumb Polack and my
English is still rather poor.

  And your reasoning is even more naive than Pete's:

> 	If you really wanted to make a difference, you'd teach people
> the truth about things, and help them to be the best that they can, instead

  Can you elaborate on this more. If I understand you well it might look like
this: Mrs. Smith, the teacher, says that marijuana is not really dangerous
if not overdosed. But, please, my dear kids - don't ever take PCP. And from
now on little Johny would not even come close to PCP, because he was taught
the truth, he knows it's a poison.

> out of desperation with their lives.  This desperation is a direct result of
> the materialistic manipulative shallow suffocating prison that passes for
> American Culture.   "Don't do drugs, just turn screws on an assembly line
> like a good little robot for 25 years, then die and don't bother me, peon".

 Perhaps I take it too literally, but how many drug users actually work on an
assembly line? There are many drug users on the net, they did not mention
anything about assembly lines. In fact, most of them seem to take drugs
for pure fun. They may be surprized themselves to hear that they are victims of
"the materialistic manipulative shallow sufficating  prison".

 And there is yet something else. I, myself, regard posting insults on the
net as a cowardice. The news are so impersonal, you don't know the person
you are insulting, and it is most unlikely you will even met him/her.
And this person is usually so far, hundreds or even thousands miles away,
it almost seems that he/she does not exist, that you talk to your terminal.
But no, there IS someone on the other end, and this someone will feel hurt.
You would not dare to say the same in direct face to face contact.

> 						the wharf rat

But you, mr 'the wharf rat' not only do this, but you do not have even
decency to sign your posting with your name. I guess you must have a good
name for this in English, though it might be one of these names which
are hard to find in a dictionary.

Marek

vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) (02/15/88)

I am truly shocked by the degradation of the moral fiber of the American
people.  And what an example are we getting from our leaders, indeed,
the first lady herself, such rudeness!  My grandmother always told me
how to be polite.  We should urge our youth to learn to "Just say 'No
thank you.'"  ;->

O---------------------------------------------------------------------->
| Cliff Joslyn, Mad Cybernetician
| Systems Science Department, SUNY Binghamton, Binghamton, NY
| vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu
V All the world is biscuit shaped. . .

chi@tybalt.caltech.edu (Curt Hagenlocher) (02/16/88)

In article <3203@cup.portal.com> TRADER@cup.portal.com writes:

>I urge the right-wing "Just say no" lunatic fringe to carefully read
>the US Constitution especially Article 1, Section 8 - Powers of Congress
>and show me anywhere where the government is given the authority to
>regulate private vices. This section contains provisos for regulating

As the various examples you give are all examples that take place in
California, know that you are looking in the wrong place.  The United
States Constitution does not prohibit the State of California or the City
of Los Angeles from doing anything, unless it explicitly denies those
powers to the states.  The place to look for laws restricting the actions
of California would, of course, be the state constitution.

Any power not explicitly given the federal government, nor explicitly
denied the states, is reserved for the states.

cit-vax!tybalt!chi                            chi@tybalt.caltech.edu
    "Education?  Who needs one?  I came here to make big bucks!"

mojo@reed.UUCP (trained not to spit in the fan) (02/18/88)

In article <120@ucrmath.UUCP> marek@ucrmath.UUCP (Marek Chrobak) writes:
>In article <1289@homxc.UUCP>, ldm@homxc.UUCP (the wharf rat) writes:
>> 	If you really wanted to make a difference, you'd teach people
>> the truth about things, and help them to be the best that they can, instead
>
>  Can you elaborate on this more. If I understand you well it might look like
>this: Mrs. Smith, the teacher, says that marijuana is not really dangerous
>if not overdosed. But, please, my dear kids - don't ever take PCP. And from
>now on little Johny would not even come close to PCP, because he was taught
>the truth, he knows it's a poison.

Roughly, yes.  Obviously it's not that simple; however, as it stands, people
are generally educated to believe that all drugs are equal, destructive,
immoral, etc.--except alcohol and tobacco, of course.

Everything I learned about drugs in school was a load of garbage, because
the intent was not to teach me about drugs, but to convince me, by whatever
means, that Drugs Are Wrong.  The schools could perfectly well have said
"Well, marijuana thrashes on your lungs and looks like it might cause
short-term memory loss, maybe; LSD is totally non-toxic but psychologically
dangerous..." and generally offered some useful information.

Remember the media blitz about PCP a few years ago?  A lot of the horror
stories that were being flung around then are the same stories that were
told about LSD in the 1960's (and in fact are still being told about LSD
now).  As it turns out, they're fairly likely to have been true with
reference to PCP; but there's no way to know this except by personal or
vicarious experience.  (Fortunately mine was vicarious.)  It would be fairly
easy to have tried PCP, on the grounds that, since all the other information
about drugs that the Real World offered was tripe, the horrific tales about
angel dust were probably garbage too.
--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
\A tautology is a thing   \ Nathan Tenny            /  The opinions expressed/

grina@soleil.UUCP (Pete Grina) (02/19/88)

In article <1289@homxc.UUCP>, ldm@homxc.UUCP (the wharf rat) writes:
>  You schmuck, it's not DRUGS that are dangerous, it's dealing
> with criminals and buying black-market merchandise !!

Both are dangerous.

> NOOOOO, YOU tell them that smoking marijuana will
> Destroy Their Lives, and that One Dose of Cocaine will turn you into a
> Mindless Fiend, if it doesn't kill ya outright.  So what happens then ?

Hey bozo, why don't you ask Len Bias about cocaine?

Good thing he didn't follow the *mindless* drug laws.  I suppose he's some
kind of a hero to you.

						Pete, you're scum

madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) (02/19/88)

In article <203@soleil.UUCP> grina@soleil.UUCP (Pete Grina) writes:
>Hey bozo, why don't you ask Len Bias about cocaine?
>
>Good thing he didn't follow the *mindless* drug laws.  I suppose he's some
>kind of a hero to you.

I would suggest reading the actual autopsy report about Len Bias's
death.  It is unbiased (unlike public knowledge that was obtained via
the media) and somewhat interesting.

jim frost
madd@bu-it.bu.edu