[alt.drugs] Goodbye

rayd@laidbak.i88.isc.com (Ray Dueland) (08/20/89)

In article <633@cbnewse.ATT.COM> mea@cbnewse.ATT.COM
>The reason AT&T has pulled the plug [on alt.drugs] is because of the
>possible negative media attention that they would get if it were discovered
>that they supported a netnews group that contained information on
>cultivating marijuana etc.

I, for one, am going to cross post all my alt.drugs postings to comp.sys.att.
My experience has been that when certain groups or distributions are not
supported, only postings that are exclusively withing that group are
deleted.  Cross-posting to a "legitimate" newsgroups will preserve the
posting.  May turn out to be a bit of the Sampson complex, but what is news
without alt.drugs?

jtrim@udenva.cair.du.edu (Jeff Trim) (08/20/89)

In article <1989Aug20.052345.7773@i88.isc.com> rayd@i88.isc.com (Kid Charlemagne) writes:
>I, for one, am going to cross post all my alt.drugs postings to comp.sys.att.
>My experience has been that when certain groups or distributions are not
>supported, only postings that are exclusively withing that group are
>deleted.  Cross-posting to a "legitimate" newsgroups will preserve the
>posting.  May turn out to be a bit of the Sampson complex, but what is news
>without alt.drugs?

While we apprciate your attempts to salvage a dieing newsgroup, I don't
think Cross Porting to our group is worth your time.  We are already
cross-posted with many other computer based groups and I am not sure
how alt.drugs is related to AT@T Systems(3B1, 3B2's, etc).  Do you
think you could find a different newsgroup that would be closer to
your topic?

BITNET:  JTRIM@DUCAIR
UUCP:  { ncar, isis, onecom }udenva!jtrim   INET: jtrim@udenva.cair.du.edu

timb@diablo.amd.com (Tim Bessie) (08/22/89)

In article <1989Aug20.052345.7773@i88.isc.com> rayd@i88.isc.com (Kid Charlemagne) writes:
>In article <633@cbnewse.ATT.COM> mea@cbnewse.ATT.COM
>>The reason AT&T has pulled the plug [on alt.drugs] is because of the
>>possible negative media attention that they would get if it were discovered
>>that they supported a netnews group that contained information on
>>cultivating marijuana etc.
>
>I, for one, am going to cross post all my alt.drugs postings to comp.sys.att.
>My experience has been that when certain groups or distributions are not
>supported, only postings that are exclusively withing that group are
>deleted.  Cross-posting to a "legitimate" newsgroups will preserve the
>posting.  May turn out to be a bit of the Sampson complex, but what is news
>without alt.drugs?

I shall do exactly the same thing!

	WHAT TO YOU SAY, NETTERS?  ARE WE TOGETHER ON THIS?
	WE COULD CAUSE SOMETHING TO HAPPEN!!!

					- Tim "The Head" Bessie

Tim Bessie		"And now, Dr. Harless Rambone of the Vampire
(amdcad!diablo!timb)	 Cow Volunteer Cosmological Clearinghouse..."

tom@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (tom) (08/22/89)

In article <12183@duorion.cair.du.edu> jtrim@orion.cair.du.edu.UUCP (Jeff Trim) writes:

}While we apprciate your attempts to salvage a dieing newsgroup, I don't
}think Cross Porting to our group is worth your time.  We are already
}cross-posted with many other computer based groups and I am not sure
}how alt.drugs is related to AT@T Systems(3B1, 3B2's, etc).  Do you
}think you could find a different newsgroup that would be closer to
}your topic?

alt.drugs is not dying. it is merely being censored by a small group of
narrow-minded fools at at&t. it will probably lose some connectivity.
crossposting is only a way to ensure that interested persons within at&t
still may get the postings.
--
Arpa: tom@vax1.acs.udel.edu     Uucp: ...{unidot,uunet}!cfg!udel!udccvax1!tom

"Welcome to Chinese Restaurant. Please try your Nice Chinese Food with
chopsticks the traditional and typical of Chinese glorious history and cultual"

dwex@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (d.e.wexelblat) (08/22/89)

In article <4215@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> tom@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (tom) writes:
> In article <12183@duorion.cair.du.edu> jtrim@orion.cair.du.edu.UUCP (Jeff Trim) writes:
>
> }While we apprciate your attempts to salvage a dieing newsgroup, I don't
> }think Cross Porting to our group is worth your time.  We are already
> }cross-posted with many other computer based groups and I am not sure
> }how alt.drugs is related to AT@T Systems(3B1, 3B2's, etc).  Do you
> }think you could find a different newsgroup that would be closer to
> }your topic?
>
> alt.drugs is not dying. it is merely being censored by a small group of
> narrow-minded fools at at&t. it will probably lose some connectivity.
> crossposting is only a way to ensure that interested persons within at&t
> still may get the postings.
> --
> Arpa: tom@vax1.acs.udel.edu     Uucp: ...{unidot,uunet}!cfg!udel!udccvax1!tom
>
> "Welcome to Chinese Restaurant. Please try your Nice Chinese Food with
> chopsticks the traditional and typical of Chinese glorious history and cultual"

What you will most likely accomplish, you narrow-minded fools, is to lose
access to comp.sys.att for those of use that want to read it.  Your (plural)
self-centered attitude about your illegal habits is now jeopardizing a
very useful technical group in addition to your (IMHO) worthless group.
GET OUT OF COMP.SYS.ATT!!!  Followups to alt.drugs, and flames via mail.
Stop cluttering this group.  We have enough of our own clutter!

David Wexelblat			dwex@mtgzx.att.com
AT&T Bell Laboratories		...!att!mtgzx!dwex
200 Laurel Ave - 4B-421
Middletown, NJ 07748

childers@avsd.UUCP (Richard Childers) (08/23/89)

timb@diablo.AMD.COM (Tim Bessie) writes:

>>>that they supported a netnews group that contained information on
>>>cultivating marijuana etc.

>I shall do exactly the same thing!

Oh. Geeze. Please don't act so immature and copycat other idiots.

OK, so AT&T are fascists. They don't care about freedom of speech, if they
were running the government they'd be raiding bookstores and trying to keep
the materials they object to from appearing on bookshelves.

Is this a reason to offend the net ? No. If you really want to do something,
refuse to carry comp.sys.att on your machine. Just put

		!comp.sys/att

... in your /usr/lib/news/sys, and all will be well.

In fact, I think I'll do that right now.

>					- Tim "The Head" Bessie

-- richard

--
 *  Truth :  the most deadly weapon ever discovered by humanity. Capable of   *
 *  destroying entire perceptual sets, cultures, and realities. Outlawed by   *

timb@diablo.amd.com (Tim Bessie) (08/23/89)

In article <1994@avsd.UUCP> childers@avsd.UUCP (Richard Childers) writes:

>>I shall do exactly the same thing!
>
>Oh. Geeze. Please don't act so immature and copycat other idiots.

Listen, I prefer not to be called an idiot, especially since you
don't know me.  I could be an idiot in person, after all, but from
action alone I usually find it hard to judge someone.  I thought about
it for awhile before I decided to do it.  If there were some cause (no
matter how small) that you supported, don't you think there'd be
strength in numbers?  That's what I felt, and so I did it.

>OK, so AT&T are fascists. They don't care about freedom of speech, if they
>were running the government they'd be raiding bookstores and trying to keep
>the materials they object to from appearing on bookshelves.
>
>Is this a reason to offend the net ? No. If you really want to do something,
>refuse to carry comp.sys.att on your machine. Just put

Ya gotta get people exciting to accomplish things, sometimes.
Anyway, see my other postings where I changed my mind after some
(commendably restrained) flames.

				- tIM bESSIE

Tim Bessie		"And now, Dr. Clingus Rambone of the Vampire
(amdcad!diablo!timb)	 Cow Volunteer Cosmological Clearinghouse..."

2014_5001@uwovax.uwo.ca (08/23/89)

In article <1989Aug20.052345.7773@i88.isc.com>, rayd@laidbak.i88.isc.com (Ray Dueland) writes:
> In article <633@cbnewse.ATT.COM> mea@cbnewse.ATT.COM
>>The reason AT&T has pulled the plug [on alt.drugs] is because of the
>>possible negative media attention that they would get if it were discovered
>>that they supported a netnews group that contained information on
>>cultivating marijuana etc.
>
> I, for one, am going to cross post all my alt.drugs postings to comp.sys.att.
> My experience has been that when certain groups or distributions are not
> supported, only postings that are exclusively withing that group are
> deleted.  Cross-posting to a "legitimate" newsgroups will preserve the
> posting.  May turn out to be a bit of the Sampson complex, but what is news
> without alt.drugs?

You do that and we'll cross-post from talk.religion.* to alt.drugs.
This would produce a lot of wasted bandwidth.

Don't do it, please.

Satan @ uwovax.bitnet       |  Yes, you know me quite well by now.

mike@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (walter.f.mulligan) (08/24/89)

In article <1994@avsd.UUCP> childers@avsd.UUCP (Richard Childers) writes:
>timb@diablo.AMD.COM (Tim Bessie) writes:
>
> [ sarcasm deleted ]
>
>Is this a reason to offend the net ? No. If you really want to do something,
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>refuse to carry comp.sys.att on your machine. Just put
>
>		!comp.sys/att
>
>... in your /usr/lib/news/sys, and all will be well.
>
>In fact, I think I'll do that right now.
>
>-- richard

   And you were so close! Why do people think assaulting an innocent
   newsgroup will help??  Flooding it with noise or denying access
   of it to your users won't do *ANYTHING* to help! At most it will
   confirm "their" opinion that readers of alt.drugs are mindless,
   drugged out idiots.

   Likewise, bashing on AT&T won't help either. The problem lies with
   the NNAB.  If you want to do something constructive, send mail to:

        Bill Holland
	cblpf!holland
	8-353-4906
	614-860-4906

   Please make your letter polite, tactful, and concise. Bear in
   mind that *anyone* could be reading it!! (think of Ian Ross as part
   of your audience!!!)

   Those of you who don't work for AT&T, we'd appreciate your support
   as well!

-Mike Mulligan
 ho95c!mike or mike@ho95c.ATT.COM