[alt.drugs] REALLY!

rayd@laidbak.i88.isc.com (Ray Dueland) (08/22/89)

In article <21361@paris.ics.uci.edu> David A. Honig <honig@ics.uci.edu> writes:
>ATT = SPINELESS CENSORSHIP

Come on everybody, cross post to comp.sys.att!!!!  For those not familiar
with cross-posting, edit the "Newsgroups:" line and put "comp.sys.att," FIRST!
(with no spaces; only a comma separating the groups) If att is going to deny
us alt.drugs, let us deny them comp.sys.att!

eesnyder@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Eric E. Snyder) (08/22/89)

In article <1989Aug22.045207.26952@i88.isc.com> rayd@i88.isc.com (Ray Dueland) writes:
>In article <21361@paris.ics.uci.edu> David A. Honig <honig@ics.uci.edu> writes:
>>ATT = SPINELESS CENSORSHIP
>
>Come on everybody, cross post to comp.sys.att!!!!  For those not familiar
>with cross-posting, edit the "Newsgroups:" line and put "comp.sys.att," FIRST!
>(with no spaces; only a comma separating the groups) If att is going to deny
>us alt.drugs, let us deny them comp.sys.att!

Might it now be time to "legitimatize" alt.drugs by creating a new news.group,
perhaps something like sci.pharmacology or sci.drugs?  Lately, alt.drugs has
been a little heavy on legal issues, dumping on the police and so forth....
Sci.med continues to be a forum for discussion of drugs for medical use (as
opposed to recreational)....  A new group could bring together discussion
from both groups and significantly increase signal-to-noise ratio for those
interested pharmacology, recreational or medicinal.  Additionally, this would
extend the reach of the net to facilities which do not support alt.* newsgroups.

If you think this is a good idea, please write or post; if there is sufficient
interest, I will look into what it takes to initiate news.group-genesis....

AAGGTGCAATGATGAGGAATTTTATCGTAGTTATGAATAATCCTGCAAGAGGTGCAAAACCCAGAGTACCTCA
Eric E. Snyder
Department of Molecular,              I thought it was rain for a minute;
 Cellular and Developmental Biology   I thought the game had been called.
University of Colorado, Boulder
TTCCACGTTACTACTCCTTAAAATAGCATCAATACTTATTAGGACGTTCTCCACGTTTTGGGTCTCATGGAGT

tonyg@merlin.cvs.rochester.edu (Tony Giaccone) (08/22/89)

In article <1989Aug22.045207.26952@i88.isc.com> rayd@i88.isc.com (Ray Dueland) writes:
>In article <21361@paris.ics.uci.edu> David A. Honig <honig@ics.uci.edu> writes:
>>ATT = SPINELESS CENSORSHIP
>
>Come on everybody, cross post to comp.sys.att!!!!  For those not familiar
>with cross-posting, edit the "Newsgroups:" line and put "comp.sys.att," FIRST!
>(with no spaces; only a comma separating the groups) If att is going to deny
>us alt.drugs, let us deny them comp.sys.att!

Give me a break. Can't we be adult about this. ATT has made a choice. A
choice that given the current political climate concerning drugs is hardly
unreasonable. It's there right to make that choice. Sure we can all cross
post to comp.sys.att and prove we're not going to take this shit anymore.

Damnit we'll force those shitheads to give us our alt.durgs.

Doesn't that seem to you to be the same type of attitude that prevents you
from using the recreational drugs you choose. I thought that's what the
counter culture was all about, the right to make choices for yourself. Sure
some folks who may read this newsgroup inside ATT may not be able to read
it any longer. However, most folks won't notice the change. And those folks
who really need to get there alt.drugs will find some way of reading what
goes on here.

That's just my 2 cents worth of pontificating. The rest of you can do as
you choose.  I just think it's not that big a deal, then again maybe I'm
wrong.

				Tony Giaccone
				tonyg@cvs.rochester.edu

doug@marque.mu.edu (08/23/89)

I can perhaps understand that there is an argument whether AT&T should
"censor" alt.drugs, although the very meaning of alt.anything is that it
can be censored.  But to foul up comp.sys.att is not to deny anything
to AT&T, it is to deny something to those of us who are interested in
AT&T computers.  Our purchase and continued use of those machines is not
related to whether or not AT&T uses its corporate facilities to transfer
alternate newsgroups.  If you wish to try to persuade AT&T to change
this decision (good luck :-) please pursue appropriate avenues that do
not trample on the rights of others.

Douglas Harris
doug@marque.mu.edu
uunet!marque!doug

bill@inebriae.UUCP (Bill Kennedy) (08/23/89)

In article <1989Aug22.045207.26952@i88.isc.com> rayd@i88.isc.com (Ray Dueland) writes:
>In article <21361@paris.ics.uci.edu> David A. Honig <honig@ics.uci.edu> writes:
>>ATT = SPINELESS CENSORSHIP
>
>Come on everybody, cross post to comp.sys.att!!!!  For those not familiar
>with cross-posting, edit the "Newsgroups:" line and put "comp.sys.att," FIRST!
>(with no spaces; only a comma separating the groups) If att is going to deny
>us alt.drugs, let us deny them comp.sys.att!

So somehow the abduction of a newsgroup, in a fit of righteous indignation,
will bring AT&T to its knees for deciding what groups they will pay to
propagate.  Neither this site nor my home site carry alt.drugs because there
isn't a soul at either site or downstream that wants to read it.  Both sites
carry comp.sys.att because there are numerous readers at each site and
downstream.

As the one who pays the LD for the sites I administer, I reserve the right
to not carry a group that nobody wants to read.  Both inebriae and ssbn
carry groups that I don't read, but that others do.  I arbitrarily do not
carry some groups (talk, rec, soc, alt) that only downstream sites want
because they can pick them up from a site who does carry them.  I won't pay
for them at the sites I pay for.  I see this as analogous to AT&T's decision.
Admittedly, AT&T has deeper pockets than I do, but I don't see the substance
of the issue as all that different.

So you're going to punish the rest of us who choose not to read alt.drugs
but want to read comp.sys.att by crossposting.  You're going to assert your
rights by depriving us of ours.  You're going to teach AT&T a lesson and
punish them for deciding how they will allocate their corporate resources.
It appears to me to be similar to demanding unpaid equal advertising time
in one periodical because another refuses to carry your unpaid advertising.
I don't suggest that alt.drugs is advertising, it's just an analogy.  You
can not claim censorship unless someone actively restrains your freedom of
speech.  AT&T isn't doing that at all, they are just refusing to pay for its
propagation.  You can speak all you want, anyone who wants to can propagate
it, anyone who doesn't want to propagate it (on their money, not yours)
doesn't have to.  If you would pay for propagation within AT&T and they
refused your money I think you'd have a beef.  In the mean time,  please do
not confuse your freedom of expression with our freedom of choice.

I'm not remotely affiliated with AT&T other than a monthly telephone bill
and a reader of comp.sys.att.
--
Bill Kennedy    {texbell,att,cs.utexas.edu,sun!daver}!ssbn!bill
                bill@ssbn.WLK.COM  or attmail!ssbn!bill

hlr@well.UUCP (Howard Rheingold) (08/23/89)

sci.drugs sounds like a good idea, if it doesn't serve to limit the
scope of discussion
--
              Howard Rheingold    hlr@well.UUCP
              {ucbvax,pacbell,apple,hplabs}!well!hlr

jessea@dynasys.UUCP (Jesse W. Asher) (08/28/89)

In article <1989Aug22.045207.26952@i88.isc.com> rayd@i88.isc.com (Ray Dueland) writes:
>In article <21361@paris.ics.uci.edu> David A. Honig <honig@ics.uci.edu> writes:
>>ATT = SPINELESS CENSORSHIP
>
>Come on everybody, cross post to comp.sys.att!!!!  For those not familiar
>with cross-posting, edit the "Newsgroups:" line and put "comp.sys.att," FIRST!
>(with no spaces; only a comma separating the groups) If att is going to deny
>us alt.drugs, let us deny them comp.sys.att!

It iritates me to no end when jerks with only their own self interest in mind
have the audicity to hinder the rest of us in our daily lives.  For this
reason, I for one will make sure that my systems stops carrying alt.drugs and
that all articles that come in to comp.sys.att that have been cross-posted
to alt.drugs are killed.  I and my system have nothing to do with AT+T's
decision not to carry alt.drugs and yet you are punishing me by requiring
that I expend my time and money on your crying.  Get the hell of the net if
you can't take it.

upl@puff.cs.wisc.edu (Future Unix Gurus) (08/28/89)

In article <6047@lynx.UUCP> neal@lynx.UUCP (Neal Woodall) writes:
>In article <10937@boulder.Colorado.EDU> eesnyder@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Eric E. Snyder) writes:
>>In article <1989Aug22.045207.26952@i88.isc.com> rayd@i88.isc.com (Ray Dueland) writes:
>
>>>Come on everybody, cross post to comp.sys.att!!!!
>>>If att is going to deny us alt.drugs, let us deny them comp.sys.att!
>
>>Might it now be time to "legitimatize" alt.drugs by creating a new news.group,
>>perhaps something like sci.pharmacology or sci.drugs?
>
>I kind of like the idea of cross posting to comp.sys.att.....it shows the
>fools at ATT what a boner their idea of "shutting down" alt.drugs is. It fits
>in well with my philosophy of life: If you cannot win by the rules, then
>change the rules! By posting to comp.sys.att, we indicate that merely

[Stuff Deleted]

>Neal

Neal, by posting to comp.sys.att, you just piss off a bunch of people
who have nothing whatsoever to do with AT&T.

Speaking for myself, (and it's reasonable to assume others), I own
an AT&T computer.  I don't work for them, nor do I care to.  I have one
of their computers because it was the cheapest real Unix that I could
find.  I don't care about whether or not AT&T is fascist, sexist, racist
anti-drug supporting, or anything as concerns the news group comp.sys.att

comp.sys.att is a bunch of USERS!!!  Just like you.  Only we use
AT&T computers.  We want to talk about AT&T computers.  Please,
gripe about AT&T elsewhere, we don't care.  What's more important
is we CAN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT!!!  NADA, NICHTS, ZILCH.

So, being blunt, leave us alone.

- sparkie.

p.s. please send any hatE-mail to sparkie@uhura.cs.wisc.edu