[alt.drugs] L-tryptophan scare?

bayless@pansy.cis.ohio-state.edu (richard f bayless) (01/17/90)

In article <15529@well.UUCP> theobaby@well.UUCP (Paul Theodoropoulos) writes:
>In article <1410@engage.enet.dec.com> morgan@csc32.dec.com (Mike Morgan/Colorado Springs) writes:
>
>((referring  to L-Tryptophan induced Eosinophilia Myalgia Syndrome))...

>What, you performed an Eosin count on this individual's blood? I have yet to
>read any evidence that there are EMS cases due to L-T that are prior to the
>beginning of the epidemic a few months ago. Simply because someone suffered
>serious muscle pain while taking L-T years ago does NOT imply that they had
>EMS. A blood test is the ONLY confirmation of EMS.

Sorry to do this, but I must have missed a few postings.  In the past I read that

L-tryptophan had varying (pleasing) results with different people (better dream

recall, more vivid dreams, deeper sleep, etc.).  However, the only warning that

I read before was that when taking L-tryptophan, one should also take niacin to

counterbalance the deficiency created by the L-tryptophan.  I did not, however,

read anything about EMS.  I have two questions:

   1)  What the Hell is Eosinophilia Myalgia Syndrome?  (I realize this is asking

       for a reposting of earlier information and I apologize)

   2)  Is it true that one should take Niacin with L-tryptophan?  If so, is a

       typical "one-a-day vitamin" good enough?

Thanks for your help - I'd hate to end up with EMS (especially since I can't

even pronounce what it stands for!  :-)

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (01/17/90)

Some dietary tryptophan is converted to vitamin B3 (niacin, niacinamide)
in the presence of a B3 deficiency.  That is why pellagra is so rare;
it requires a diet not only deficient in B3, but also poor in protein
quality.

Needless to say, for the average middle-class recreational drug abuser
reading the net, B3 deficiency is not a serious problem.  There's no need
to take excessive doses of niacin on the hope that it will improve one's
l-tryptophan "experience".

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer