[alt.drugs] What, me worry?

rocky@tcom.stc.co.uk (Dave Kennard) (01/16/90)

In article <6185@internal.Apple.COM> casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) writes:
:Have no fear.  It is not an accident that to date, the War on Drugs has
:had absolutely no impact on the actual availability (or even the street
:price) of illegal drugs.  That is not its purpose.  It is nothing more
:than a vast public-relations charade at the expense of the taxpayer's
:dollar and the citizen's freedom.  Far from trying to "win" the war,
:Bush'n'Bennett will endeavor to drag it out for as long as possible.  They
:are a perfect example of the famous symbiosis between the Vice Squad on
:the one hand and the drug dealers, pimps, and numbers operators on the
:other.  Neither side can prosper without the other.

Is this really true?  What benefit does Bush and Bennett get from the
'public-relations' excercise?  Surely, given the budget deficit and
the 'No More Taxes' declarations of Bush's election campaign, it does
not seem reasonable that Bush would wish to 'waste' public money?
Does your last sentence mean that Bush & co. are waging this 'war'
to support the drug dealers etc..?

:David Casseres
:     Exclaimer:  Hey!

--
+-+ +-+ +- | |  Regards,  Dave Kennard.
|-+ | | |  |\ New Southgate, LONDON. N11 1HB, England, UK, (etc..)

scj@meccsd.MECC.MN.ORG (Scotian) (01/17/90)

Douglas Miller writes:
|[...]
|If my fears become real, I think few in the cities will remain untouched.
|It is ironic that success for Bennett and Bush will likely mean degradation,
|injury, and death for many innocent people.  We must remember that in
|modern war, the greatest impact falls on the civilian population.
|
|If there is anyone out there who can allay these fears, please post your
|reassurances.

You can get no reassurances from me, except that the 'War on Drugs' is
doomed to failure as a drug control measure as all forms of prohibition
are by nature ineffective, so this drying up of the proverbial 'drug pond'
will not take place.  But continued effort into the 'War on Drugs' can
only create more of the violence to which you refer, most likely leading
to the justification for the erosion of our constitutional rights and to
change this country into some sort of police state.
Scott C. Jensen			  I'm the NRA		 scj@meccsd.mecc.mn.org
Say NO to the War on Drugs	  Pro Choice (abortion, guns, drugs, sex, etc.)

hiramc@sco.COM (Hiram Clawson) (01/17/90)

In article <21220@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> DOUGM@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Douglas Miller) writes:
>If there is anyone out there who can allay these fears, please post your
>reassurances.

There is no need to worry Douglas.  What with all these revolutions
going on and the borders breaking down, international drug trafficking
will enjoy a resurgence.  And look how all the "mafia" types of
organizations are moving in on Eastern Europe and Russia, there
will be more international crime than ever before.  I predict that
all this will mean an INCREASE in the drug supply to Amerika
and other countries.

--Hiram		[uunet!sco!hiramc	||	hiramc@sco.COM]

unhd (Paul A. Sand) (01/17/90)

In article <6185@internal.Apple.COM> casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) writes:
>Have no fear.  It is not an accident that to date, the War on Drugs has
>had absolutely no impact on the actual availability (or even the street
>price) of illegal drugs.  That is not its purpose.  It is nothing more
>than a vast public-relations charade at the expense of the taxpayer's
>dollar and the citizen's freedom.  Far from trying to "win" the war,
>Bush'n'Bennett will endeavor to drag it out for as long as possible.  They
>are a perfect example of the famous symbiosis between the Vice Squad on
>the one hand and the drug dealers, pimps, and numbers operators on the
>other.  Neither side can prosper without the other.

One can only hope that similar connections will be made with the other
great governmental moral crusades that proclaim high dudgeon and noble
sentiment, but never seem to accomplish anything worthwhile beyond
making their perpetrators Feel Good About Themselves.  (Although, for a
few, a good deal of political power and some extra spending money is
also involved.)

So the current war on drugs is just one more battle in the never-ending
struggle against racism, sexism, porno, booze, poverty, ignorance,
inadequate recreational facilities, sexual preverts, tobacco smoke,
unemployment, homophobia, various ecological catastrophes, the decay of
the family, homelessness, Oriental cars and DRAMs, mental illness,
gambling, the international communist conspiracy, and those folks who
won't buckle their seatbelts and drive at 55 mph. In short, Evil.

Don't worry, friends: your government is making real progress on these
problems, and more you haven't even heard about yet, but will. Don't
forget to send in your 1040, and make sure you check that little box
for the Presidential Campaign Fund.
--
-- Paul A. Sand       | For this unavoidable excess I take full responsibility,
-- U of New Hampshire | trusting that readers will sort out what is valuable

wab@reed.UUCP (Bill Bennett) (01/17/90)

In article <36030@cornell.UUCP> anoop@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Anoop Kumar Mangalick) writes:

>I have some tidbits of my own to add to this growing discussion topic.
>Several days ago someone brought to my attention the fact that the country
>in S/Central America which is receiving the most monetary/military support
>in order to fight the Drug War, Colombia, is not the country with the
>highest export volume of cocaine to the U.S.
>
>The Bush administration is as vehemently anti-communist as the Reagan
>administration.  It sees the creation of communist states in S/Central
>America as threatening to our national security.  Right-wing military
>dictatorships in that region are prime targets for communist revolutions.
>Thus, it is in the best interests of the U.S. to forestall this possibility
>by seeing that such regimes are removed from power gradually, preferably with
>the installation of U.S.-backed, freedom-and-democracy-oriented, capitalistic
>governments.  The Drug War helps to justify a military presence in various
>S/Central American countries and thus achieves this purpose.  It also
>presents our government as being devoted to solving a domestic social problem.
>Finally, when a politician comes out strongly in favor of the Drug War,
>fighting for billions for his constituency, then he receives more voter
>support (votes).  No politician can lose by supporting the Drug War.
>
>The lack of funds for many programs, including manpower, prisons, and rehab
>centers, is consistent with this view.  The Bush administration is not
>truly intent on ridding the U.S. of the drug scourge.  It is only seeking
>to project a military presence into S/Central America for the purpose of
>preventing communist insurgencies in that region.
>
>Any comments?
>
>Anoop Mangalick

Actually, the Bush administration (and the Reakan Reich [I prefer the
Libyan spelling] before it) probably prefer to focus on Columbia out
of cowardice instead of imperialism.  The country that actually grows
all the cocaine is not Columbia, as you note, but Peru.  And it is all
the cocaine being grown in Peru that supports the rural economy of
that country.  If the US is the "imperialist oppressor" who enforces
coca eradication in Peru, that means massive bad PR for the US.  This
is only a problem, since we've shown time after time that we really
don't care about world opinion as far as our western hemisphere
imperialism is concerned, because Peru has perhaps the only viable
communist insurgency in South America.  This is the formidible, in the
countryside, Shining Path movement.  Shining Path has protected
cocaine fields in return for political support (and cash), and so far
the US has been loath to extend the cocaine wars into Peru.  Frankly,
I think it is simply because the US is afraid of antagonizing another
native population, this time of a democratic country, in a losing
effort.  Most of these cocaine fields are very high and remote (we're
talking the Altoplano, folks) and interdiction would be virtually
impossible.  However, all the labs are in Columbia and, until
recently, Columbia has had a corrupt, military-dominated government.
The new government is supposedly clean, but with all of the cartel
terrorism we still have easy culprits (the cartels) and easy targets
(the labs).  So the US is willing to ignore the raw cocaine flowing
out of Peru just as it was once willing to ignore the arms flowing
from Cambodia into Vietnam.

Of course, if Daddy (Bill Bennett) had his way he'd be leading teams
of Rangers through the Peruvian hills to round up all the poor,
ignorant farmers growing the White Death.  And he'd pack along his
portable guillotine with which to render appropriate, if summary,
justice.  After all, the Big Pus Blister with the nicotine grimace
(Daddy-O) is on record as favoring beheading for anyone associated
with drugs.

A quick solution:  American decriminalization will pull the economic
rug out from under the drug trafficking cartel; Removing all American
military personal above the Mexican border would reduce imperialism;
And three hits of prime MDA just might turn Big Bill into a nice guy.

					Give it a try, Dad,

						Bill Jr.

casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) (01/18/90)

writes:
> :...[the war on drugs] is nothing more
> :than a vast public-relations charade... Far from trying to "win" the
> :war, Bush'n'Bennett will endeavor to drag it out for as long as
> :possible.  They are a perfect example of the famous symbiosis
> :between the Vice Squad on  the one hand and the drug dealers, pimps,
> :and numbers operators on the other.  Neither side can prosper
> :without the other.

> Is this really true?  What benefit does Bush and Bennett get from the
> 'public-relations' excercise?

Well, Bush gets to look like he's actually _doing_ something (besides
invading Panama, another PR scam).  As for Bennett, now that he's made a
total failure of himself as an educator, the "war on drugs" is his entire
career.

> Surely, given the budget deficit and
> the 'No More Taxes' declarations of Bush's election campaign, it does
> not seem reasonable that Bush would wish to 'waste' public money?

No it doesn't, does it?  But I don't think Bush cares a rat's ass about
the deficit, and his "no more taxes" declarations were campaign rhetoric.
Conservative Republicans LOVE to blow the taxpayers' money, as long as it
winds up in the hands of their own constituents or allies.  Then there's
the atmosphere of emergency created by a "war."  This is indispensible
to a politician whose agenda includes a reduction of the Constitutional
rights of individuals.

> Does your last sentence mean that Bush & co. are waging this 'war'
> to support the drug dealers etc..?

I doubt that they have sat down and said to each other "Let's support the
drug dealers (other than Manual Noriega)."  But I don't think it bothers
them at all that the drug dealers are getting richer than ever as a result
of the "war," and I think if the drug dealers started going out of
business it would make them very nervous.

David Casseres
     Exclaimer:  Hey!

zetetikos@oxy.edu (Rachel C. Andrews) (01/18/90)

In <36030@cornell.UUCP>, Anoop Mangalick writes:
-> No politician can lose by supporting the Drug War.
.
Considering the war on drugs *is* a war on the Constitution, and considering
that the war on drugs *is* a war on the American people, I certainly hope
that a politician who favors fighting this war _can_ lose. I will not
vote for a drug warrior (whether tacit or explicit), which unfortunately
means that I do not get to vote very often :-( but hopefully enough
voters will, with time, come to view the drug war as a direct threat upon
freedom and individual autonomy so that soon posters to the net will write:
----> "No politician can WIN by supporting the Drug War"
<RCA>