[alt.drugs] My First Acid Trip

perry@bluemtn.uucp (Perry Minyard (3MTA3)) (01/17/90)

In a previous article, David Honig writes:

>(Shoot, I was just a candy bar in my daddy's back pocket way back then...)

--Sounds like another Laurie Anderson song to me.   "Hey, give me that pen"

trainor@julia.math.ucla.edu (Douglas J. Trainor) (01/19/90)

callisto@blake.acs.washington.edu (Finn) writes:
>[...]
> One thing that niacin is good for.. and that is the common LSD side effects
>of coldness, clammy skin, wierd feeling teeth etc.  Small amounts of
>niacin seem to counteract these nicely and especially make the day after a
>lot more pleasant.

Don't know about the niacin thing, but side-effects attributed to both
LSD and Psilocybin include an elevated body temperature.

Since THC decreases body temperature, maybe you should have some with...

    douglas

scott@everexn.uucp (Scott Baldwin) writes:

>Where do you get LSD that lasts for 12 hours?  The stuff I get always lasts
>8, unless it's laced with STP; which is very hard to find these days.

Switzerland.  Let's call what you got "acid".  With LSD you would probably
be plateauing at around six to eight hours.

>Beer definitely takes the edge off.  Valium is bad at any time.  Mixing
>beer and valium can be fatal, of course.

In my opinion, mixing beer and psychedelics is stupid.  But that's just
my opinion.

	douglas

trainor@sonia.math.ucla.edu (Douglas J. Trainor) (01/19/90)

geraldb@tau-ceti.ll.isc-br.com (Gerald Bryan (Denver)) writes:
>[...]
>I have no ideas on how niacinamide (which is what I took) might have
>aborted the psychological effects of the bad trip.  Indeed, I have
>no ideas on why psychedelics even produce trips to begin with (and
>I submit that all published theories on this process, including those
>that document psychedelics' actions on brain neuro-transmitters like
>serotonin, somehow miss the point and serve more to fulfill our need
>for understanding than provide truth).

And for some people, certain psychedelics seem to have no effect.
Even drugs with steep dose-response relationships...

>There is a tendency in all of us to ignore a fact if we cannot
>explain it.  I took niacinamide one hour into the trip, and the
>psychological effects of the trip were over one hour later.  This
>is what was predicted by the literature that prompted me to buy the
>niacinamide in the first place.  This happened 10 years ago, and
>I've forgotten the original reference.  I'm VERY open to the possibility
>that the trip was over in one hour precisely because I BELIEVED that
>this is what would happen.
>
>And does labelling something as a placebo effect really mean that
>we understand it ?  Or is it just an illusion to satisfy our
>need to understand ?

The nature of the placebo effect needs to be studied more.  If I were
having what is described as a "bad trip" on acid, I'm sure I wouldn't
care if it worked because of the "placebo effect" or even if some
sexy UFO were healing me!  Look up medical references to "hexing".

Re. references to "aborting" trips.  Check out Osmond's partner, Abram
Hoffer's (sp) work with mega-vitamins.  He should have some published stuff.

  * I've got an experiment for THC enthusiasts.  Eat  or  smoke  your *
  * fill,  and then take about 2000 mg. of fast-acting vitamin C (ask *
  * at the store for those derived from potassium, calcium,  magnesi- *
  * um, zinc and manganese ascorbates). Post your results anonymously *
  * when you feel you have some.                                      *

P.S.  Does anyone know where that "Gorby Blotter Acid" was confiscated ?