[alt.drugs] MAO inhibitors request

trainor@julia.math.ucla.edu (01/17/90)

Anyone got a list of common MAO inhibitors (i.e. food stuffs) that
should not be consumed with MDMA?  E.g., red wine, chicken liver,
non-pasturized yogurt, ...

Please send to <trainor@cs.ucla.edu> or whatever return path you get.

	douglas

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (01/18/90)

In article <2160@sunset.MATH.UCLA.EDU> trainor@MATH.UCLA.EDU (Douglas J. Trainor) writes:
>Anyone got a list of common MAO inhibitors (i.e. food stuffs) that
>should not be consumed with MDMA?  E.g., red wine, chicken liver,
>non-pasturized yogurt, ...

You've got it backwards.  You're thinking of tyramine (a sympathomimetic
amine found in aged foods formed from the breakdown of tyrosine).
People taking MAO inhibitors avoid such foods because tyramine is
ordinarily quickly destroyed by MAO.  In the presense of a MAO inhibitor,
tyramine is absorbed from the gut and produces symptoms of excessive
adrenergic activity: headache, raised blood pressure, etc.  Severe cases
can cause a stroke.

I don't think there's any evidence that MDMA is a MAO inhibitor.

Yogurt probably isn't a big deal, though it's sometimes included on the list
of foods to avoid.  Most cheeses other than cottage cheese are verboten.
Dried meats and sausages are out.  Vegemite has loads of the stuff.  Figures.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

trainor@sonia.math.ucla.edu (Douglas J. Trainor) (01/19/90)

dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
 |sunset.MATH.UCLA.EDU> trainor@MATH.UCLA.EDU (Douglas J. Trainor) writes:
 | |Anyone got a list of common MAO inhibitors (i.e. food stuffs) that
 | |should not be consumed with MDMA?  E.g., red wine, chicken liver,
 | |non-pasturized yogurt, ...
 |
 |You've got it backwards.  You're thinking of tyramine (a sympathomimetic
 |amine found in aged foods formed from the breakdown of tyrosine).
 |People taking MAO inhibitors avoid such foods because tyramine is
 |ordinarily quickly destroyed by MAO.  In the presense of a MAO inhibitor,
 |tyramine is absorbed from the gut and produces symptoms of excessive
 |adrenergic activity: headache, raised blood pressure, etc.  Severe cases
 |can cause a stroke.

Good call!  Must be this flashback-fever-induced bout of hallucinations,
or Dyer's latent psychic abilities...  I confused the tyramine food list
(red wine, chicken liver, yogurt, ...) with the MAO inhibitor list.  I
still want to know about common things which are on the MAO inhibitor
list though.  I.e., I want to know about the connections of:
            +-------------------------------------+
            |         CERTAIN PSYCHEDELICS        |
            |            /                        |
            | MAO INHIBITORS             TYRAMINE |
            +-------------------------------------+
and *NOT*:
            +-------------------------------------+
            |         CERTAIN PSYCHEDELICS        |
            |                                     |
            | MAO INHIBITORS <---------> TYRAMINE |
            +-------------------------------------+

One note for the record.  I got hypothermia over Thanksgiving and was
generally ralphing my brains out and delerious.  I experienced some
wicked-bad states of consciouness mixed with some very nice ones
(they'd come in waves).  So now it's January, I've got the flu, and
when I ralph, I get to those good states of consciousness instantly.
I guess the body does remember.

I can now identify with trauma victims that experience OBE's, cuz when
the pain was the greatest from the hypothermia (worse than anything in
_Hellraiser_), I felt like I was transported to another dimension, and
that my consciousness was a point in that dimension.  The only sensory
input I could get from Earth was auditory (the voices of my friends),
and I had to concentrate to get that.  But there was no pain where I
was.  I never lost consciousness in the sense of losing my sense of
self identity.

Pointers to hypothermia-consciousness appreciated.

    douglas

[][] trainor@cs.ucla.edu
[][] ...!{randvax,rutgers,sch-loki,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!trainor