[alt.drugs] Koop on drug testing in the workplace

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (01/17/90)

I'm shattered.  One of my heroes, former Surgeon-General Koop, is
actively encouraging employers to begin drug testing their employees
[and is involved in get a bill passed that would standardize such tests
and give employers guidelines on how to conduct them in a "suit proof"
fashion].

On an interview on NPR, he referred several times to the notion that
employers should do this for the employee's own good --- even in
circumstances where he agreed it makes no difference at all to the
employer or to the employee's performance on the job.  He was esposing
this intrusion into the employees life because *HE* thinks it will be
"for the persons own good" [a catch phrase that almost always covers
shoddy thinking], and that this is an important thing to do because it
_might_ turn into a full-scale, life-ruining addiction, or it _might_
cause a real degradation in the employee's quality of work.

How sad.  Koop is so popular, and they're approaching this so diagonally
[he's trying to help Orrin Hatch get a "federal standards for drug testing"
bill pushed through], that he may well pull it off.  After that it will be
VERY hard to stop, since it has now been defined to be "not an intrusion" to
require that employees pass regular drug tests.  How very very sad for us
all.  I wonder if the next thing will be to require that we get our teeth
checked every six months, and if there'll be a vigilante squad to come by my
house and insure that I'm tucked into bed at an 'approved' hour so that I get
my rest and I'm not too tired the next day... couldn't have me sleepy on the
job, now, right????

GRRRRRRRRRRRR.....

And even MORE worse (if you can believe that), is that Koop isn't doing this
because he wants to further the war on drugs.  He's doing it because he
thinks it is RIGHT... that is, his paternalistic view of what the all-knowing
benevolent employer should be doing to help look out for and help the poor,
ignorant, bumbling employee includes these sorts of intrusions into the
employee's lives.  What is this world coming to????

I wonder why Koop has abandoned using the force of his personality and
the force of logic, which seemed to be doing just fine and at the least
garnered *MY* attention and respect, and instead is stooping to use the
crude tools of force and coercion?

  /Bernie\

larry@csccat.UUCP (Larry Spence) (01/17/90)

In article <51002@bbn.COM> cosell@BBN.COM (Bernie Cosell) writes:
>I'm shattered.  One of my heroes, former Surgeon-General Koop, is
>actively encouraging employers to begin drug testing their employees
>
>On an interview on NPR, he referred several times to the notion that
>employers should do this for the employee's own good --- even in
>circumstances where he agreed it makes no difference at all to the
>employer or to the employee's performance on the job.  He was esposing
>this intrusion into the employees life because *HE* thinks it will be
>"for the persons own good" [a catch phrase that almost always covers
>shoddy thinking], and that this is an important thing to do because it
>_might_ turn into a full-scale, life-ruining addiction, or it _might_
>cause a real degradation in the employee's quality of work.

I just heard the same NPR interview.  I want to puke, projectile-style.
Koop also said that regular drug testing "improves employee morale."  Huh?
Check out Soviet Russia for examples of "employee morale" in totalitarian
environments!  He also claimed that studies had shown that 2 out of 3
Americans favor mandatory testing.  Please say it ain't so!  The worst part
was that statement about testing even if the employee is having no problems
with productivity, etc.!  Arrrrrggghh! So my employer can come in zombied
and laughing on Xanax (legally, of course), and that's OK -- they're looking
for ILLEGAL drug use, just as a matter of principle!  LEGAL drugs don't
cause anyone ANY problems with their lives, OH NO!

>How sad.  Koop is so popular, and they're approaching this so diagonally
>[he's trying to help Orrin Hatch get a "federal standards for drug testing"
>bill pushed through], that he may well pull it off.  After that it will be
>VERY hard to stop, since it has now been defined to be "not an intrusion" to
>require that employees pass regular drug tests.

Really?  The last I heard was that most decisions supporting testing had
been overturned, except for pharmacists, pilots, etc.

>How very very sad for us
>all.  I wonder if the next thing will be to require that we get our teeth
>checked every six months, and if there'll be a vigilante squad to come by my
>house and insure that I'm tucked into bed at an 'approved' hour so that I get
>my rest and I'm not too tired the next day... couldn't have me sleepy on the
>job, now, right????

And where do you stop?  What if an employee spent several hours boning his
girlfriend/wife one evening, and was still a bit out of it the next day?  Is
this going to be subjected to governmental controls, too?  I think you'd see
a lot more protest over THAT than over regulations designed to stop "those
drug fiends."

>And even MORE worse (if you can believe that), is that Koop isn't doing this
>because he wants to further the war on drugs.  He's doing it because he
>thinks it is RIGHT... that is, his paternalistic view of what the all-knowing
>benevolent employer should be doing to help look out for and help the poor,
>ignorant, bumbling employee includes these sorts of intrusions into the
>employee's lives.  What is this world coming to????

Good fucking question.  People seem all too willing to approve of this crap,
since they see it as not directly affecting them, except that it helps rid
the world of "drug scum," who are of course responsible for America's
declining productivity, moral decay, MTV, the economy, etc.

Didn't someone post a while back that there was a study that showed NO
higher productivity at companies that did drug testing?  I'd like to see that
publicized more.

[Please note that the example I gave involving my employer being fucked up
on Xanax is PURELY hypothetical.]

--
Larry Spence
larry@csccat

callisto@blake.acs.washington.edu (Finn) (01/17/90)

In article <51002@bbn.COM> cosell@BBN.COM (Bernie Cosell) writes:
>How sad.  Koop is so popular, and they're approaching this so diagonally
>[he's trying to help Orrin Hatch get a "federal standards for drug testing"
>bill pushed through], that he may well pull it off.  After that it will be
>VERY hard to stop, since it has now been defined to be "not an intrusion" to
>require that employees pass regular drug tests.  How very very sad for us

 (and lots of other reports of atrocities both here and in the press..)

 I am beginning to think that the bill of rights and other legal provisions
only apply when there is significant public pressure that they be applied.
 Apparantly a few people are on some kind of Control kick and have enough
of the rest of the population fooled or apathetic enough that they are going
to be able to continue this nonsense.
 Perhaps the only way to end this nonsense is to encourage them for a while.
 Perhaps when there are mandatory blood tests for school kids and routine
stop and search blokades on the roads, people will come to their senses.
 Of course, history shows that even when ones neighbors are being packed into
boxcars and sent off to "Kindler Gentler Camps", most folks will just thank
God it isn't THEM (this time) and remark about how well the trains are
staying on schedule...

dmcanzi@watserv1.waterloo.edu (David Canzi) (01/18/90)

In article <5353@blake.acs.washington.edu> callisto@blake.acs.washington.edu (Finn) writes:
> I am beginning to think that the bill of rights and other legal provisions
>only apply when there is significant public pressure that they be applied.

Give that man a cigar.

A constitution is only a sheet of ink-stained paper, and sheets of
ink-stained paper have no power of enforcement.  People in power have
generally gone to a great deal of effort to get there -- you have to
suspect that a desire for power itself played a part in their
motivations, and if so, there is the danger that they will try to
circumvent the parts of constitutions, such as bills of rights, that
place limits on their power.  If the people are unwilling to resist
encroachments on their freedoms, they will lose them.

I have seen, in recent years, people who I formerly considered to be
quite moderate use immoderately angry language when referring to drug
*users* (not pushers), and it's this kind of anger that makes people
willing to break provisions of the Bill of Rights to *get* the ones
they hate.  Look around you -- society is full of groups motivated by
anger, hatred, or resentment, begging the government to censor
communications for them, to search and confiscate for them, and to
punish not only suspected criminals but their families and friends
*prior* to conviction.

The stimulation of anger, hatred, and resentment is the perfect tool
for getting a people to give away their freedoms.  The politics of
anger, hatred, and resentment are all around us.

We are in deep shit.

--
David Canzi

bob@delphi.uchicago.edu (Robert S. Lewis, Jr.) (01/18/90)

In article <650@watserv1.waterloo.edu> dmcanzi@watserv1.waterloo.edu (David Canzi) writes:
>In article <5353@blake.acs.washington.edu> callisto@blake.acs.washington.edu (Finn) writes:
>> I am beginning to think that the bill of rights and other legal provisions
>>only apply when there is significant public pressure that they be applied.

>Give that man a cigar.

A cigar! But nicotine's a drug.  Give this man a urine test, fast! :-)

larry@csccat.UUCP (Larry Spence) (01/18/90)

In article <650@watserv1.waterloo.edu> dmcanzi@watserv1.waterloo.edu (David Canzi) writes:

>The stimulation of anger, hatred, and resentment is the perfect tool
>for getting a people to give away their freedoms.  The politics of
>anger, hatred, and resentment are all around us.

In addition to anger, hatred, and resentment, let's not forget laziness.
Over the last ??? years, a lot of nasty problems have been festering in
the US: poverty, crime, national debt, poor response to foreign competition,
etc.  True solutions to those problems (1) are long-term in nature, (2) may
require drastic changes in the economy and social structure, (3) will cost
money and effort, (4) will often not be very exciting or telegenic.

Politicians are not willing to bite the bullet and start working on long-
term, realistic solutions, with few exceptions.  It's not entirely their
fault, they get elected on the basis of whether they made their constitu-
ents financially successful and secure during their term.  This is not
always the case with all voters, but it's my opinion that most voters go
with the candidate that will disrupt their lives the least and put the
most money in their pocket.  Call me cynical if you like.

Since these nasty problems are growing, and recently discovered ones like
global warming are appearing, we need a QUICK FIX.  Well, there really
aren't any, so what to do?  Distract the voters.  It's DRUGS that are the
cause of poverty, poor productivity, amorality, debt, etc.!  Yes, that's
it!  There have been numerous polls that have found that Americans think
that drugs are the Number 1 Problem Facing The Nation.  So this strategy
appears to be working.  It now seems a bit archaic to rage about "those
damn Commies," since we've finally figured out that they're real people
who aren't really so different from the rest of us.  But everyone Knows
that drug users are Bad People, Criminals, etc.  Very little in the War
On Drugs addresses compassion or rehabilitation, since we've been taught
that these people are Scum.  If you were a very poor ghetto black person,
and you had no hope of doing any better, and you were offered drugs that
would make you feel good again, even for just a short while, don't you
think that YOU would take them?  Let's not fool ourselves!

Thus, attacking the drug problem is substituted for attacking all the other
problems that we face as a nation.  The average American doesn't have to
make any unpleasant changes in his/her lifestyle in order to attack the
Drug Menace.  Just let the government do what's appropriate -- random
searches, blood and urine tests, stepping on the Constitution in general.
"I don't do drugs, so that's fine with me, right?  Sure, I don't like to
see the Constitution stretched, but this is Our Worst Problem!"  I think
that this is the attitude of many people.  They feel that saying things
like this is "doing their part to attack the Problem."  And it's easy,
just open your mouth and say it.  No sacrifices.

In a way, it would be neat for all illegal drug use to be wiped out. It
would then become obvious that it wasn't responsible for most of our
crime (although the illegal status certainly adds to it), most of our
economic problems, most of our schooling problems, etc.  I think that's
one of the aspects that the government finds most attractive: they know
they can't possibly win this war in any conclusive sense.  They'll
always be able to say "we're not trying hard enough," spending enough
money, doing enough monitoring and testing, etc.  They'll always have
this scapegoat around to blame.

Meanwhile, major corporations foul our air, land, and water.  Homeless
people starve while our President asks for a cut in the capital gains tax.
These things are occasionally mentioned in the media, but the term "war"
is not used.

>We are in deep shit.

Exactly.

--

andy@lightning.cis.ufl.edu (Andy Wilcox) (01/18/90)

In article <650@watserv1.waterloo.edu> dmcanzi@watserv1.waterloo.edu (David Canzi) writes:

>If the people are unwilling to resist encroachments on their freedoms,
>they will lose them.

Wasn't it Truman that said "The people will get exactly the kind of
government they deserve"?  (pardon the paraphrase, I can't find my
Bartletts...)

I was unfortunate enough to WATCH this program on C-SPAN.  As some of
you may recall, Koop spoke here at UF recently (I posted a summary).
So, I was eager to watch his performance again.  As the original
poster (Bernie Cosell <cosell@bbn.com>) said : "I'm shattered".  I
just *couldn't believe* the BS Koop was throwing around.  One reported
asked about the inclusion of Alcohol in this Bill.  Koop replied
something like "The alcohol user, impaired on the job, is easy to
spot.  Thus, there is no need to test them or include provisions for
alcohol in this bill."  Uh, Excuse me?  My money says that alcohol
causes the most "lost" work hours nationwide.  Tobacco was not
mentioned one little bitty bit in the whole nasty affair.  It just
stuns me, over and over, to see such numbers like mortality and sick
time overlooked when counting beans for "the drug problem".  And oh
boy do I get pissed when I hear "my *GOD*!  How can you advocate
cocaine legalization when we've lost Len, John, ..."  Sure, I'm sad
their gone, but there were 1,000 funerals for cigarette smokers on the
day their respecive funerals where held.

>We are in deep shit.

No shit.

-Andy Wilcox
(andy@ufl.edu)

wdstarr@athena.mit.edu (William December Starr) (01/20/90)

In article <ANDY.90Jan17230443@lightning.cis.ufl.edu>, Andy Wilcox said:

>  And oh boy do I get pissed when I hear "my *GOD*!  How can you
> advocate cocaine legalization when we've lost Len, John, ..."

Okay, "Len" is Len Bias, aka St. Len of Bias, the college kid who
celebrated being drafted in the first round by the Celtic by going out
and getting himself a cocaine-induced coronary.  But who's this
"John?"
--

William December Starr <wdstarr@athena.mit.edu>