[alt.drugs] soc vs talk

williamt@athena1.Sun.COM (William A. Turnbow) (02/08/90)

In article <1990Feb7.030722.15380@eng.umd.edu> russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:
>Good group, bad name.  This sounds like a perfect candidate for
>'talk.politics.drugs', with the other highly-charged political
>issues.
----------

    This brings up a question that I've been meaning to raise.

    What is the distinction between the soc and talk heirarchies?  From
their names, I would think that 'talk' is more for 'chatting' and
conversations about topics, while 'soc' it would seem, would be more
for societal/social issues -- things that impact or are heavily
impacting our society.

    In addition to the placement of social-drug issues (perhaps
talk.society.drugs?), I also was told by a few people that a
moderated group like t.r.pagan would have been better placed/proposed
as soc.religion.pagan.  I guess I missed the fine distinction, or was
it simply the fact that it was moderated?

    Thanks for comments...

-wat-

   --- An it harm none, do what you will.

gsmith@garnet.berkeley.edu (Gene W. Smith) (02/08/90)

In article <131368@sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, williamt@athena1 (William A.
Turnbow) writes:

>    What is the distinction between the soc and talk heirarchies?  From
>their names, I would think that 'talk' is more for 'chatting' and
>conversations about topics, while 'soc' it would seem, would be more
>for societal/social issues -- things that impact or are heavily
>impacting our society.

  I dunno about this. "Talk" has the political groups, whereas
"soc" has social chat clubs like soc.singles, the various ethnic
and gender and lifestyle clubs, as well as a few religion groups.
Of course, talk has talk.bizarre, which probably ought to be
soc.bizzaroids.
--
ucbvax!garnet!gsmith     Gene Ward Smith/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720
"To name the unnamable, to point at frauds, to take sides, start arguments,