[rec.arts.movies] Broadcast News

erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) (02/07/88)

In article <2493@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU>, hooner@athena.mit.edu (Hoon Ko) writes:
[Some reasons that a friend of Hoon's didn't like _Broadcast_News_.]

> 3. Holly Hunter had to be the grossest female character and
>    had no sex appeal whatsoever, a characteristic that
>    a major part of the movie revolved around.

Wait.  If a female character doesn't have sex appeal then she's gross??

How sexist can a person get, anyway?

I take it that men who don't have sex appeal are gross also, and any
qualities their character has should be ignored the same way your
friend ignores Hunter's character's qualities.

Personally, I was in love with Hunter's character.  I want to marry her.
The question of sex appeal never entered into it at all...

Another reason people may not like Hunter is her wonderful accent,
something that many movie makers want to ignore unless the character is
supposed to be some sort of stereotyped buffoon.

What 'major part of the movie' revolved around Hunter's sex appeal,
anyway?  I noticed that a major part of the movie revolved around
her professional ethics, not her sexual appeal.

Then again, this is America, where you're a worthless shit if you
aren't a beautiful, slim, athletic, white, rich twinkie.
(Soory for the language, but my editor would understand! :-) )

> Hoon Ko
> hooner@athena.mit.edu
> gatech!bloom-beacon!athena.mit.edu!hooner
> husc2!bloom-beacon!athena.mit.edu!hooner

This isn't a rag on you, Ko (or Hoon?  do you use your name American style,
or not?) but a rag on the way women are treated by culture and media.
--
Ratings stickers on music releases: Just Say "No". | Another journalist with
If I wish really hard, will IBM go away forever?   | too much computing power.

mikep@ism780c.UUCP (Michael A. Petonic) (02/10/88)

In article <381@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) writes:
>In article <2493@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU>, hooner@athena.mit.edu (Hoon Ko) writes:
>[Some reasons that a friend of Hoon's didn't like _Broadcast_News_.]
>
>> 3. Holly Hunter had to be the grossest female character and
                                                           ^^^
>>    had no sex appeal whatsoever, a characteristic that
>>    a major part of the movie revolved around.
>
>Wait.  If a female character doesn't have sex appeal then she's gross??
>
>How sexist can a person get, anyway?

No -- he never said that.  Notice the AND.  If he would have
said, ``Holly Hunter had to be the grossest female character which
means she has no sex appeal whatsoever'' then I can see where you
can bitch.  But he didn't.  Just because you liked the movie and
Hoon didn't, well that's another difference you can settle...

-MikeP