[rec.arts.movies] Trailer clips not in movie: BROADCAST NEWS

erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) (02/02/88)

Ok, I was sitting in the theatre the other night, waiting for _Housekeeping_
to start, and once again I get subjected to B. NEWS clips.  I paid to
see it twice, but anyways...

I noticed two scenes that did *not* get shown in the movie:

1. William Hurt with an American flag in the background, going on
   about not being able to do much, but what he does he does well.

2. Uh. Oh.  I just forgot #2.  Well, people that have seen the movie and
   then see the clips will notice it too...

I remember this happening with another movie, _Real_Genius_.
A t.v. ad for this movie showed the older-genius floating by a window
in a wheelchair suspended by balloons.  This scene was never in the
movie.  Now that I think of it, that scene was used in several print ads.
Maybe I have one around here somewhere.....

Anybody know any answers as to why?  I'd prefer answers/statements by
the filmmaker or the production house, not conjecture as to why it was
done.  I can guess too, ya know... :-)
--
"Occult symbols include ... the 'peace' symbol and the Jewish 'Star of David'"
   -- From the Back In Control Handbook

tgk@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Tom Krajna) (02/04/88)

In article <352@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) writes:

>[comments about scenes in the BROADCAST NEWS trailer, but missing in the film]
>
>I remember this happening with another movie, _Real_Genius_.

Perhaps an alarming new trend has started (annoying new trend, at least).
I looked forward to seeing AMERICAN ANTHEM, especially for one scene where
Janet Jones puts her flexibility to use for non-gymnastic purposes (hey,
we can't watch THE KILLING FIELDS every night!)  But alas, the scene that
was teased about in the trailer was not to be found in the movie.  Any others
out there?
--

Tom Krajna		  UUCP: ...ihnp4!codas!uflorida!beach.cis.ufl.edu!tgk
University of Florida	  Internet: tgk@beach.cis.ufl.edu     CIS: 73267,1652

hrlaser@gryphon.CTS.COM (Harv Laser) (02/04/88)

Distriusab

In article <10561@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> tgk@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Tom Krajna) writes:

>Perhaps an alarming new trend has started (annoying new trend, at least).
>I looked forward to seeing AMERICAN ANTHEM, especially for one scene where
>Janet Jones puts her flexibility to use for non-gymnastic purposes (hey,
Argh. I saw ANTHEM on cable a couple months ago (mainly just to swoon over
Ms. Jones)... but the finale gymnastics competition drove me bats! I've
never been to a real-life competition such as the one depicted, but do people
really fire off strobe-flashes 100 times a second non stop for half an
hour? Really annoying. Was this just a cheap directorial ploy to try to
raise the excitement level of the staged event?

The constant screaming and yelling of the "audience" seemed way out of
proportion too.  And now you say they actually cut out a non-gymnastic
scene with Ms. Jones?   Hmph.

nevin1@ihlpf.ATT.COM (00704a-Liber) (02/10/88)

In article <352@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) writes:
.
.Ok, I was sitting in the theatre the other night, waiting for _Housekeeping_
.to start, and once again I get subjected to B. NEWS clips.  I paid to
.see it twice, but anyways...
.
.I noticed two scenes that did *not* get shown in the movie:

This also happened to Stripes.  Bill and his girlfriend were in some 'very
interesting positions' in the General's house that night, according to the
trailers.
--
 _ __			NEVIN J. LIBER	..!ihnp4!ihlpf!nevin1	(312) 510-6194
' )  )				"The secret compartment of my ring I fill

chip@vaxwaller.UUCP (Chip Kozy) (02/17/88)

In article <2417@gryphon.CTS.COM>, hrlaser@gryphon.CTS.COM (Harv Laser) writes:
. Argh. I saw ANTHEM on cable a couple months ago (mainly just to swoon over
. Ms. Jones)... but the finale gymnastics competition drove me bats! I've
. never been to a real-life competition such as the one depicted, but do people
. really fire off strobe-flashes 100 times a second non stop for half an
. hour? Really annoying. Was this just a cheap directorial ploy to try to
. raise the excitement level of the staged event?

	Cheap directorial ploy.  Flashes are NOT allowed in competitions
period.  Offenders are asked politely to stop, and if they don't, are asked
not-so-politely to leave.

. The constant screaming and yelling of the "audience" seemed way out of
. proportion too.

	Again cheap directorial ploy.  Virtually every competition I've
been involved with is strangely quiet during a routine, only to "noise
up" after completion...and even that is relatively subdued due to other
routines going on at the same time.  Especially fine performances can be
detected by the lack of sound during the performance of the routine.

					Sto lat;
					Chip
             ,,
*** SOLIDARNOSC ***