[rec.arts.movies] A reply to 'Queerboy alert' -- long, but worth reading.

erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) (02/11/88)

In article <715@mit-caf.UUCP>, andrew@mit-caf.UUCP (Joe Bigelow) writes:
> In article <381@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) writes:
> >In article <2493@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU>, hooner@athena.mit.edu (Hoon Ko) writes:
> >[Some reasons that a friend of Hoon's didn't like _Broadcast_News_.]
> >
> >> 3. Holly Hunter had to be the grossest female character and
> >>    had no sex appeal whatsoever, a characteristic that
> >>    a major part of the movie revolved around.
> >

> >Wait.  If a female character doesn't have sex appeal then she's gross??
> >
> >How sexist can a person get, anyway?
> >
> Whoah buddy!
> Do I smell an ass kisser or did someone fart?
> ReREAD statement 3==> 'had to be the grossest...and had no sex appeal'
> There is no cause and effect relationship in this sentence.
> I bet this guy tries to score with women by telling them how
> sensitive he is.  Meanwhile, he couldn't get a stiff one unless
> he was tied up with chicken wire and smeared with chopmeat.
> What a fag.
> Joe Bigelow

Ya know, I like it when someone up north makes a good fool of themselves.
Makes me feel that it's not just southerners who are bigoted, sexist
and ignorant. (1/2 :-) at the ignorant southerner joke.)
Out of the replies I've seen, and the mail I've gotten, this is the first
one that attacks me for any reason.

I'm refuse to directly reply to any of the inaccurate and libelous
statements made by Joe Bigelow.  It's not worth my time and your money
to try to 'discuss' anything with someone who obviously knows everything
about me and my personal life/opinions/desires.

I would remind Joe Bigelow of a few things:
1.  Ignorance is no excuse for malicious and personal attacks against anybody
    for any reason.
2.  As the laws are currently interpreted, your statements are libelous.
    Had I the money and/or time I'd love to take you to court in say,
    California, where there would be no sympathy for personal attacks
    against a person based solely on an *assumption* that that person is
    homosexual.
    And with all the readers on usenet, there'd be a good case for
    defamation of character.
3.  I refuse, on intellectual, ethical, and moral grounds, to join
    in juvenile name calling.

What's more, it really saddens me that a student at a school such
as M.I.T. -- considered by most to be one of the highest institutions
of learning in the world -- has students as bigoted and hateful as Joe Bigelow.

fyi:  my girlfriend thinks you're a moron.  :-)
--
Ratings stickers on music releases: Just Say "No". | Another journalist with
If I wish really hard, will IBM go away forever?   | too much computing power.

Isaac_K_Rabinovitch@cup.portal.com (02/13/88)

I find most of the responses to the recent verbal Gay and Woman
Bashing by certain immature critics of "Broadcast News" to be
very well taken (especially <400@flatline.UUCP> from Eric Townsend,
who provides us with further evidence that Southerners have learned
more from the last 30 years than the rest of us).

But you should all know that, in this case at least, you're playing
the other guy's game.  Your anger at those electronic Nazis is
appropriate, and you've all expressed it in an intelligent, restrained
manner.  But anger, however expressed, is what these guys want.
Probably they really do hate women, gays, people with brains (probably
just about everybody, including themselves).  But that's not why they
post those messages.  If you read their comments carefully, you'll
realize that they get off on angry and disaproving responses, and
their comments are carefully designed to provoke such responses.

I'm not saying you should just ignore them -- "if enough people
ignore evil" and all that -- I'm just hoping people will keep
their motivation in mind.

Isaac Rabinovitch
isaac.rabinovitch@cup.portal.com
ucbvax!sun!cup.portal.com!isaac.rabinovitch

hilda@kaos.UUCP (Hilda Marshall) (02/15/88)

In article <3162@cup.portal.com> Isaac_K_Rabinovitch@cup.portal.com writes:

>...Your anger at those electronic Nazis is
>appropriate, and you've all expressed it in an intelligent, restrained
>manner.  But anger, however expressed, is what these guys want.

>...If you read their comments carefully, you'll
>realize that they get off on angry and disaproving responses, and
>their comments are carefully designed to provoke such responses.

True enough, Isaac.  Baiting and its success clog up more bandwidth
than anything else, at least in the groups I read.  "Flaming" that
does nothing to introduce the information that these morons obviously
lack is just a lot of verbiage, and attempts to impart information
are by and large useless.  SO WHY DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING?  What
can we do?  Especially when some creep lands on some decent person
and hurts their feelings?  Sticking to the point is the only thing
that comes immediately to mind.

-Hilda

dana@koko.UUCP (Dana Allen) (02/19/88)

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv, rec.games.frp
Subject: What show was that?

 I am trying to remember the name of a show that was on years ago.  It was
during the D&D hype.  It had to do with a man/boy with a magic bow that
glowed when used.  Also I remember the a bird flew over and dropped a feather
that turned into a score of arrows for the bow.  Other characters included
a thief who had knives and tricks all over his person and a young lady who
had a thing with animals ( get your mind out the gutters guys).

What was the name of this show, and any other information would be greatly
appreciated.
					Thanks in advance,
						Dana Allen