[rec.arts.movies] 'Queerboy alert'

hooner@athena.mit.edu (Hoon Ko) (02/12/88)

Just to clarify MY position, since this all started as a response
to an article I posted:

1. I am NOT sexist. I don't think there's automatically/necessarily
any link between being gross and having sex appeal.
2. *I* don't call people gross. I was just quoting one of the
   friends I went with.
3. I *LOVED* Broadcast News, thought it was one of the best movies
   I'd ever seen. That was pretty clear in the original posting-
   I had no idea why anyone wouldn't like the movie, and
   so I posted the reasons why my friends didn't, thinking maybe
   someone out there agreed with them, maybe for those reasons,
   and could explain to me what I couldn't understand from my
   friends.
4. Thanks to Mike P and Joe irregardless for clarifying my point-
   Eric Townsend didn't read the article closely enough. It was
   pretty clear that I didn't agree whatsoever with those three
   points- I'll forward email to you, Eric, if you want- all the
   people who sent me email about my posting tried to explain why
   they *DIDN'T* like the movie.
5. I don't think Joe was really that out of line.
6. If you have different standards and think that he was,
   don't judge MIT by Joe. In fact, I don't think you should
   correlate the school he's from with his comments. He doesn't
   work for MIT administration after all.
7. Re Eric's posting about the movie revolving around ethics and
   not sex appeal: the movie tried to show how in the intense
   pressure of broadcast news, strong feelings of comradery
   from getting the news out on time etc can be confused for
   love and passion. Hence someone like Holly Hunter who
   is so incredible behind the editing and the producing
   would be very respected and by some confused coworkers
   would be wanted because they confused such respect with
   romance.
8. ONE MORE TIME: I LOVED BROADCAST NEWS, I LOVED HOLLY HUNTER,
   THOUGHT SHE WAS VERY APPEALING IN THE MOVIE, TOTALLY RELATED
   TO HER CHARACTER.

I think that does it ... oh, some other stuff:

My name is Hoon , my last name is Ko, and I really don't think
it's relevant, Eric. Just call me hooner.

Mitchell Lerner was just as out of line as Joe was, yet I see
no flames for his similar comments.

-Hoon Ko
 hooner@athena.mit.edu

erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) (02/19/88)

In article <2912@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU>, hooner@athena.mit.edu (Hoon Ko) writes:
> 1. I am NOT sexist. I don't think there's automatically/necessarily
> any link between being gross and having sex appeal.

I'm sorry if I implied that *you* were sexist.  I did not mean to do so.
> 4. Thanks to Mike P and Joe irregardless for clarifying my point-
>    Eric Townsend didn't read the article closely enough. It was

     No, I didn't.  I took the "and" to mean "and therefore".
     I understood that it was a friend of yours that you were posting
     about.

>    pretty clear that I didn't agree whatsoever with those three
>    points- I'll forward email to you, Eric, if you want- all the
>    people who sent me email about my posting tried to explain why
>    they *DIDN'T* like the movie.

> 5. I don't think Joe was really that out of line.

Obviously, I did. :-)

> 6. If you have different standards and think that he was,
>    don't judge MIT by Joe. In fact, I don't think you should
>    correlate the school he's from with his comments. He doesn't
>    work for MIT administration after all.

No he doesn't, and I shouldn't let his views reflect heavily upon
my opinions of MIT.  I have this fantasy that the better the school you
attend, the better (and more rounded) your education is -- all this yielding
a tolerant, understanding person.  (Something I'm not at times also...)

> 7. Re Eric's posting about the movie revolving around ethics and
>    not sex appeal: the movie tried to show how in the intense
>    pressure of broadcast news, strong feelings of comradery
>    from getting the news out on time etc can be confused for
>    love and passion. Hence someone like Holly Hunter who
>    is so incredible behind the editing and the producing
>    would be very respected and by some confused coworkers
>    would be wanted because they confused such respect with
>    romance.

My opinions on the movie are somewhat biased by my self-proclaimed
profession and area of study:  journalism.  Personally, I don't
think much about 'sex-appeal' when I look at a person, or think about
them.  So when somebody else *does* look at sex-appeal, I tend
to overreact and assume that's all that that person sees in people.
(I'm learning to be tolerant of people that aren't tolerant... :-) )

> My name is Hoon , my last name is Ko, and I really don't think
> it's relevant, Eric. Just call me hooner.

I doubt its relevancy, but I was curious.  I like it when people
call me what I like being called, and I try to return the favor. :-)

> Mitchell Lerner was just as out of line as Joe was, yet I see
> no flames for his similar comments.

I probably missed Mitchell Lerner's post -- therefore I can't comment
on this last

> -Hoon Ko
>  hooner@athena.mit.edu

A few added comments:

Again, I wasn't trying to degrade or attack hooner's friend.  I feel
that the problem is not just with attitudes, but with the parts of our
society that promote those attitudes.  We haved shoved down our collective
electronic throat the idea that if we aren't beautiful, thin and perfect;
then we are worthless.  I don't like this concept of 'beautiful is better'.
I don't feel that using only pretty-cloned-from-the-same-person models as
actors in movies helps this at all.  When Hurt decied to use Hunter
(a brilliant decision, in my opinion) he took a small step from the
current trend.

I'm not an introverted computer geek, a whiney-sensitive-foo-foo-haircut
-wearing new age trendy, or any other type of stereotype.  I am me.
One of a kind, as we all are.  Having role-models in movies that are
not mindless, cloned sterotypes is a start towards ending this type
of judgemental classification.

I'd like to think that other people feel the same way, and are tired
of being categorized because of surface appearances.

Btw: others go to great lenghts the *other* direction.  Take a look
at some of what John Waters produces... (He's got a new one coming out, also.)

Oh well, this lecture is over. :-).  Anybody interested in starting a
media and mass culture related newsgroup?
--
Just say NO to skate harassment. | Just another journalist with too much
If I wish really hard, will IBM go away forever?        | computing power..