[comp.ai.neural-nets] Contest to rename non-neural "Neural Networks"

wcalvin@well.UUCP (William Calvin) (10/14/87)

   A most interesting new field is unfortunately named:  neural networks.
They are, of course, comprised of real neurons with real DNA, real
developmental histories, etc.  Neurophysiologists have studied real neural
networks since 1929, though without understanding circuit principles until
about 1960 or so when the analysis of lateral inhibition in the eye of the
horseshoe crab _Limulus_ showed us how circuits could perform inverse
transforms to recover what poor optics had smeared out.

  And neural networks are an important field of specialization within
modern neurobiology:  we are taking collections of neurons called ganglia,
such as the 30-cell crustacean stomatogastric ganglion, and getting to
know each of their neurons as an individual, mapping the synaptic
connections between neurons, and so beginning to understand how circuit
properties emerge (for a nice full-wave rectifier, see Graubard and
Hartline in the 7/31 issue of _Science_).  The lobster ganglion produces
two entirely different rhythms simultaneously, and both can be
substantially altered by background biases such as neurohormone levels,
some of which virtually "rewire" the circuit.

  One way we understand emergent properties is to simulate those networks
-- and in a way far more sophisticated than so-called "neural networks" in
AI.  For example, each cell's tranfer function is somewhat different:  the
free parameters in the simulation are minimized by experimentally
determining each cell's time-dependent response to inputs, and each
synaptic interconnection's changing strength with repeated use.  See Dan
Hartline's chapter in THE CRUSTACEAN STOMATOGASTRIC SYSTEM, edited by
Selverston and Moulins (Springer Verlag 1987), for the state of the
physiological art in simulating real neural networks.

  But it seems absurd for neurobiologists to have to start talking about
"real neural networks" just because the AI folk didn't learn their
lessons.  And I'm not referring to ignorance of neurobiology, though that
too is a sore point:  remember the hyperbole in the old days when every
digital computer got called a "brain"?  And how soon no self-respecting
computer person would call a computer a brain for fear of being thought a
beginner?  SO why are we now seeing this nonsense of calling any plastic
network of pseudo-neurons a "neural network"?

  For some simulations, it seems appropriate to use "neural network" in
referring to the computer model:  those simulations of lobster networks,
the simulations of the retina using state-of-the-neurobiological-art
parameters, etc.  But most so-called "neural networks" in AI don't even
have the ambition to simulate a real neural circuit:  they are seeking
shortcuts around formal programming, a plastic network that can be shaped
up by training until it performs a desired task (and then perhaps cloned).
Particularly when stochastic sequencing is implemented in neural-like
nets, we are going to see some strikingly humanlike capabilities emerge
(see my article "The brain as a Darwin Machine" shortly to appear in
_Nature_).

  So how about a contest to devise a new name for this wonderful new field
that will give it an identify respectful of, but independent from, the
endeavors concerning real neural nets?  Some possibilities:
       Pseudo-neural networks
       Neuroid networks
       Neural-like networks
       Plastic networks
       Parallel Distributed Nets
       Cellular Networks
       Dry Nets
Perhaps a look-alike, the way Dawkins coined "meme" as the cultural
equivalent of "gene"?  "Seural" as a silicon version of "neural"?

  Yes, I know, they don't trip alliteratively off the tongue like neural
nets.  But that phrase is already taken, has been for a quarter century,
and constitutes an active field that modellers ought to be mining-for-
leads rather than regularly re-inventing the wheel.
                            William H. Calvin
                            University of Washington NJ-15
                            Seattle WA 98195 USA
                            wcalvin@well.uucp  wcalvin@uwalocke.bitnet
                            206/328-1192

samlb@well.UUCP (Samuel B. Bassett) (10/14/87)

	I vote for "neuroid" networks -- that's what 'droids have in thier
heads (or equivalent).
--
Sam'l Bassett -- Semantic Engineering for fun & profit.
34 Oakland Ave., San Anselmo  CA  94960;               DDD:  (415) 454-7282

olson@endor.harvard.edu (Eric K. Olson) (10/14/87)

Neural Simulators	Perhaps a good clarification
Neuralators		A bit more catchy, but sounds like a coffee machine.
Neural Processors       Tries to imply human manufacture of Neural Net
Neuroidal Nets          Synonym for Neural-like Nets
Neural Engineering	Humans are the only real engineers?
Nerdal Nets		:-)
Neuralogies		Neural Analogies (sounds like an allergy)
Neuranalogs		Neural Analogs

-Eric

Eric K. Olson     olson@endor.harvard.edu     harvard!endor!olson     D0760
   (Name)                (ArpaNet)                 (UseNet)        (AppleLink)

roger@celtics.UUCP (Roger B.A. Klorese) (10/15/87)

In article <4213@well.UUCP> samlb@well.UUCP (Samuel B. Bassett) writes:
>	I vote for "neuroid" networks -- that's what 'droids have in thier
>heads (or equivalent).

How about "neurotic networks"?

Nah, that includes USENET...    ;-)
--
 ///==\\   (Your message here...)
///        Roger B.A. Klorese, CELERITY (Northeast Area)

marty1@houdi.UUCP (M.BRILLIANT) (10/15/87)

In article <4210@well.UUCP>, wcalvin@well.UUCP (William Calvin) writes:

> ....  most so-called "neural networks" in AI don't even
> have the ambition to simulate a real neural circuit:  they are seeking
> shortcuts around formal programming, a plastic network that can be shaped
> up by training until it performs a desired task (and then perhaps cloned).
>
>   So how about a contest to devise a new name for this wonderful new field
> that will give it an identify respectful of, but independent from, the
> endeavors concerning real neural nets?  Some possibilities:
>        Pseudo-neural networks
>        Neuroid networks
>        Neural-like networks
>        Plastic networks
>        Parallel Distributed Nets
>        Cellular Networks
>        Dry Nets

Not plastic.  Plastic is something like polyurethane, polyester,
polystyrene, or polyvinyl chloride.  Though those networks must be
poly- something, because they have to have lots of components.

But the unique feature of these networks is that they are adaptive:
they acquire capabilities that depend on how they are used after they
are built.  So I think they should be called

	Adaptive Networks

M. B. Brilliant					Marty
AT&T-BL HO 3D-520	(201)-949-1858
Holmdel, NJ 07733	ihnp4!houdi!marty1

jimmc@sci.UUCP (Jim McBeath) (10/15/87)

How about "neurotronic networks"?

Jim McBeath    {decwrl|oliveb|weitek|auspyr}!sci!jimmc
Silicon Compilers Systems Corporation   (408)371-2900
2045 Hamilton Avenue, San Jose CA 95125

randall@alberta.UUCP (Allan F Randall) (10/16/87)

From: wcalvin@well.UUCP (William Calvin)
 [contest for a term for neural-like networks]

I'd say stick with Connectionist Nets or PDP Nets or some other commonly
used term. Why create yet another new term to confuse things even more?

 < But most so-called "neural networks" in AI don't even
 < have the ambition to simulate a real neural circuit:  ...

  But they do have the ambition of simulating what is computationally
significant about real neural circuits, and thus they are part of the
study of real neural networks.
  On the other hand, if we consider PDP nets to be a general type of
network of which neural nets are an example, then neural nets would be
part of the study of PDP nets. I guess this just depends on whether you
call neural nets a type of PDP net, or PDP nets an abstraction from
neural nets.
  Also, isn't there a continuum between these two extremes, depending on
how much abstraction you do from actual physiology? Since you insist
that PDP nets not be called 'neural networks', where do you draw the line?

Allan Randall
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta

giusto@sunybcs.uucp (Susan Giusto) (10/17/87)

In article <4210@well.UUCP> wcalvin@well.UUCP (William Calvin) writes:

>(see my article "The brain as a Darwin Machine" shortly to appear in
>_Nature_).
>
>  So how about a contest to devise a new name for this wonderful new field
>that will give it an identify respectful of, but independent from, the
>endeavors concerning real neural nets?  Some possibilities:
>       Pseudo-neural networks
>       Neuroid networks
>       Neural-like networks
>       Plastic networks
>       Parallel Distributed Nets
>       Cellular Networks
>       Dry Nets

None of the hitherto suggested names really fully comprise the meaning
of what we are trying to achieve.

Look at what we are trying to convey... the "computer-simulated", or
"computational-approach" to the neurophysiological phenomenon.  We have to
embody this idea... right ?

Well, he goes my stab at a few names to possible use:

        Simu-Nets ---------------- Simulated Neural Nets
	Compu-Con Nets ----------- Computational Silicon Nets
	Neo-Neural Nets ---------- What we are dealing with is a 'New'
				   approach to Neural Nets
	Silicon Neural Nets (SNN's) Nice acronym could catch on well
	Auto Nets ---------------- Automated Neural Nets
	Chip Nets ---------------- Where these new neural netwrks live

Well, this is just a few... there was a rather interesting on this
naming problem in my local environs... These were some of the best.

Enjoy !
				Susan M. Giusto
				(in search of a place where creativity,
				art and science can exist together)