[comp.ai.neural-nets] NEURON Digest - V2 #28

NEURON-Request@ti-csl.csc.ti.COM (NEURON-Digest moderator Michael Gately) (12/07/87)

NEURON Digest	Mon Dec  7 10:58:35 CST 1987   Volume 2 / Issue 28
Today's Topics:
 Braitenberg Vehicles
 Request for OPS5-neuron-programs
 neuro-net references
 Fault Tolerance & Neural Networks
 Grossberg real time ?
 request for information
 USCCMI seminar
 Invitation to Neural Network Presentation and demo
 nEURO '88
 Seminar Announcement - UNIGLOBE-Vision Meeting
 Meeting announcement
 Call for Papers - INNS
 Call for Papers - ICNN-88

Date: Fri, 6 Nov 87 10:14:45 EST
From: Larry Hunter <hunter-larry@yale.arpa>
          via WIMP-MAIL (Version 1.2/1.4) ; Fri Nov  6 10:08:23
Subject: Braitenberg Vehicles

I have heard about implementations of Braitenberg Vehicles in simple
robots that use neural nets for control.  They may have been presented
at the Artificial Life conference at Los Alamos last summer.  I would
appreciate either a reference to a publication or the name(s) and institutional
affiliation(s) of the researcher(s) involved.  Anybody know?

                                        Larry
HUNTER@YALE.EDU

------------------------------

Date:     Fri, 13 Nov 87 16:07 N
From: DEGROOT%HWALHW50.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Subject:  Request for OPS5-neuron-programs

Request for OPS5 programs
-------------------------

        Well, we have OPS5 on the VAX now and I am very eager to play
        around with it. Because I am very interested in the
        neuron-approach of AI I would like to try to implement
        some small toy-program in order to
        1.      learn the language OPS5
        2.      to gain some insight in the neuron-approach.
        It's possible that OPS5 is not at all the most suitable
        language to implement neural networks.
        In that case: flames on please.
        Anybody having some OPS5 programs that show the right to
        exist for this language?

Tel. +31-8370-  .KeesdeGroot   (DEGROOT@HWALHW50.BITNET)  o\/o  THERE AINT NO
     (8)3557/   Wageningen Agricultural University         []   SUCH THING AS
        4030    Computer-centre, the Netherlands          .==.  A FREE LUNCH!

DISCLAIMER:     My opinions are my own alone and do not represent
                any official position of my employer.

- if you go too far to the east, you find yourself in the west ..  -

------------------------------

Date: 18 Nov 87 22:08:09 GMT
From: James Chang <nosc!humu!uhccux!uhmanoa!sec@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu>
Subject: neuro-net references

I am doing some research into neural-nets, and I want to collect
reference and article concerning neural-nets especially toward
boltzman-machine and simulation of neural-nets.

Please e-mail to me if anyone has relevent reference or abstract.
I will summarize to net if there is sufficent response.

Thanks

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Nov 87 11:26:11 pst
From: "Andrew J. Worth" <worth@iris.ucdavis.edu>
Subject: Fault Tolerance & Neural Networks

I am looking for information on:

   - the inherent fault-tolerance in neural networks
   - determining the fault-tolerance capabilities of neural networks
   - increasing fault tolerance in neural networks
   - using neural networks for traditional fault tolerance applications

If anyone has this kind of information, I would appreciate hearing
about it.  I will post the results if there is interest.

Thanks in advance,

-Andy
worth@iris.ucdavis.edu
1421 H Street Apt 4, Davis, CA, 95616-1128
(916) 753-9910

------------------------------

Date: 29 Nov 87 02:50:20 GMT
From: berke@locus.ucla.edu
Subject: Grossberg real time ?

In many places, Grossberg emphasizes that his concern with  real-
time  issues  guided  the development of his theories.  I greatly
admire his work and have read many of his articles.  I am in  the
midst  of  re-reading several of them, yet I am having difficulty
finding anything concrete about real-time behavior.  As you know,
if  you  are  a  Grossberg  fan,  there is a tremendous amount of
material to pour over, all of it interesting.

So I have the following questions.  If you could answer them  for
me, I would greatly appreciate it.

1)  What is Grossberg's definition of  real-time?   Instantaeous,
combinational,  situation-specific,  or finitely bounded (similar
to linear-bounded automata)?  Or, if you have a better definition
of real-time, I'd like to hear it and e-talk about it with you.

2)  Do Grossberg's systems learn  in  real-time,  or  operate  in
real-time?   Whatever  they do in real time, do they always do it
in real time?  Are there any specific paragraphs you can point to
that  either  prove  this theoretically or give examples of real-
time behavior?

I would appreciate any replies, whether they are knowledgeable or
naive,  specific  or  tangential, pro- or anti-Grossberg, pro- or
anti-real time.

Thank you,

Peter Berke

------------------------------

Date: 1 Dec 87 06:26:36 GMT
From: portal!cup.portal.com!Barry_A_Stevens@uunet.uu.net
Subject: request for information

              REQUEST FOR INFORMATION ON NEURAL NETWORKS
                           Barry A Stevens
                          Applied AI Systems
-
I  am  conducting  a survey to identify the  "useful"  neural  network
paradigms.  There  are  many  available,  but  few  have   established
themselves as robust and trainable in the commercial environment.
-
I seek either: pointers to information sources, or information itself.
With enough response, I will summarize and post to the net. The  three
types of information sought are:
-
***The  usefulness of the network paradigms listed below when  applied
   to real problems with real data;
-
***The tests that a set of training data must meet to be useable  with
   each of the paradigms;
-
***The classes of problems for which each paradigm is useful.
-
-
Comments on stability, robustness, ease of construction and test,  and
results  obtained  from the application would be useful  and  welcome.
Pointers to sources that contain such information are equally welcome.
-
I  already  have access to numerous technical papers that  talk  about
such things as "spatiotemporal uses" as a class of applications.  What
is  of more interest is "The Spatiotemporal Paradigm was  successfully
used  to identify specific waveforms and patterns in foreign  currency
trading data... etc.". Or this: "a backpropogation network was used to
implement a consumer loan approval system, with performance  exceeding
both  that  of human loan officers making the loans and  a  rule-based
expert  system designed for the same purpose. The network was  trained
in three weeks, the expert system took two manyears to build."
-
These network paradigms are of specific interest:
-
     Back Propogation
     Back Propogation - shared weights
     Counter Propogation
     Adaptive Resonance 1 and 2
     Binary Associative Memory
     Spatiotemporal Network
     Neocognitron
     Hopfield Network
     Kohonen Feature Map
     Boltzman Machine
     Group Method of Data Handling
     Barron Associates: polynomial synthesis
-
If  there are others that you feel are also of interest,  please  feel
free  comment on them as well. Also, I realize that some of these  are
not  neural network paradigms per se, but they have been used  in  the
same situations and are therefore of interest.
-
I can be reached by email or at this address and phone:
-
Barry A Stevens
Applied AI Systems, Inc.
PO Box 2747
Del Mar, CA 92014
619-755-7231

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Nov 87 18:32:11 CST
From: TAKEFUJI@UNIKS.ECE.SCAROLINA.EDU
Subject: USCCMI Seminar

Subject: Invitation to the USCCMI seminar
Date: Nov. 10, 1987
Time: 4:00PM
Place: Center for Machine Intelligence
       Department of ECE
       University of South Carolina
       Columbia, SC 29208
Phone: (803)777-7930
Title:

Statistical Modules for Parallel Distributed Processing
New Machine Learning and Neural Modeling Frontiers
Speaker: Professor Dr. Robert J. Jannarone

          Abstract
    The Von Neumann serial programming model for information processing
not only provided the basis for traditional computer design; it also
was the dominant influence for models of cognitive fields.
In  recent years, however, it has become clear that the neural processing
models and future computing improvements.
In this talk I will describe the nature of these flaws and some reasons why
alternative--so-called parallel distributed processing (PDP)-- models are
currently causing a revolution within cognitive science.
I will also describe some new statistically-based PDP modules that we are
currently developing at the Machine Intelligence Laboratory.
These modules may be promising as both general cognitive theories and
viable machine learning devices.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Nov 87 09:25:58 CST
From: TAKEFUJI@UNIKS.ECE.SCAROLINA.EDU
Subject: Invitation to Neural Network Presentation and demo

Subjects: Invitation to Neural Network
	  Presentation and demo.
Place: University of South Carolina
       Department of Electrical
       and Computer Engineering
       Center for Machine Intelligence
       Columbia, SC 29208
       Swearingen Engineering Building 3rd Floor
Date: December 5, 1987
Time: 1 PM
From: Dr. Y. Takefuji
Topics:
       1. Hopfield Network Hardware Implementations
	  and Simulations
       2. Stochastic Hopfield Networks
       3. Conjunctoid Machines:
	  Multinomial Conjunctoids Simulations
	  and Hardware Design
       4. Hopfield Networks using Simulated Annealing

About 20 graduate students are involved in these projects.
Phone:(803)777-5099

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Dec 87 08:21:29 CST
From: MCVAX!ENST.ENST.FR!GRUMBACH@UUNET.UU.NET.CSNET
Subject: nEURO'88

            First European Conference on NEURAL NETWORKS

                              nEURO'88

			  June 6-9, 1988
			       Paris

Chairman : G. Dreyfus (ESPCI, Paris)
Organizing Committee : A. Maruani, L. Personnaz, G. Sirat

The conference will focus on the following topics :
- models of memory and learning, sensory perception, motor control
- methods for solving specific problems with artificial neural networks
- artificial network architectures, electronic and optical implementations,
and applications including robotics.

Contributions will be selected on the basis of a 500-word abstract.
Please send abstracts as soon as possible and no later than :

                      February 15, 1988

at :

nEURO'88
G. Dreyfus / L. Personnaz
E.S.P.C.I.
10 rue Vauquelin
F-75005 PARIS
FRANCE

Alain Grumbach

------------------------------

Date: 2 Dec 87 23:55:08 GMT
From: "Michael J. Hudak" <siemens!hudak@princeton.edu>
Subject: Seminar Announcement

                         SEMINAR ANNOUNCEMENT

                       Professor David Rumelhart
                       Department of Psychology
                       Stanford University
                       Palo Alto, CA

Title:           Learning and Generalization in PDP Networks

Location:        Siemens Corporate Research & Support, Inc
                 Princeton Forrestal Center
                 105 College Road East
                 Princeton, NJ   08540-6668      (609/734-3373)

                 3rd floor Multi-Purpose Room

Date:            Wednesday December 9, 1987

Time:            10:00 am   (refreshments: 9:45)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 7 Dec 87 10:13:25 EST
From: Ennio Mingolla <ennio@bucasb.bu.edu>
Subject: Meeting announcement

              VISUAL FORM AND MOTION PERCEPTION:
        PSYCHOPHYSICS, COMPUTATION, AND NEURAL NETWORKS

           Friday and Saturday, March 4 and 5, 1988
  Conference Auditorium, George Sherman Union, Boston University
        775 Commonwealth Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts

     This meeting has been dedicated to the memory of the late
     KVETOSLAV PRAZDNY, who was to have been a speaker, and
     whose tragic death has deprived the field of visual
     perception of one of its most talented investigators.

Confirmed speakers and tentative titles are:
S. ANSTIS, York University. (To be announced)
L. AREND, Eye Research Institute. Lightness and color in complex scenes
I. BIEDERMAN, University of Minnesota. Invariant primitives for visual
image understanding
P. CAVANAGH, University of Montreal. Motion: The long and the short of it
J. DAUGMAN, Harvard University. Image segmentation by networks for signal
orthogonalization
S. GROSSBERG, Boston University. Filling in the forms: Monocular and binocular
constraints on surface lightness perception
J. LAPPIN, Vanderbilt University. The optical information for perceiving
metric structure from motion
E. MINGOLLA, Boston University. Recent results in emergent visual segmentations
V. RAMACHANDRAN, UCSD. The utilitarian theory of perception: Interactions
between motion, form, color, and texture
A. REEVES, Northeastern University.  Fundamental mechanisms of color vision
W. RICHARDS, MIT. Encoding shape by curvature
R. SAVOY, Rowland Institute. Traditional form and motion stimuli presented to
isolated cone classes
G. SPERLING, New York University. Non-Fourier motion perception
J. TODD, Brandeis University. Perception of smoothly curved surfaces
S. ZUCKER, McGill University. From orientation selection to optical flow

This meeting is sponsored by the Boston Consortium for Behavioral and
Neural Studies, a group of researchers supported by the Air Force Office
of Scientific Research Life Sciences Program.  A Howard Johnson's Motor
Lodge is located at 575 Commonwealth Avenue, and a limited number of rooms
at a reduced conference rate can be reserved until February 10, 1988 by
those attending the meeting.  Total conference registration will be
limited by available meeting space, so early registration is advised.

Registration and hotel accomodations for the meeting are being
handled by:

   UNIGLOBE--Vision Meeting                Telephone:
   40 Washington Street                    (800) 521-5144
   Wellesley Hills, MA   02181             (617) 235-7500

A meeting registration and hotel reservation form is attached to this
announcement.  For further information about travel or accomodation
arrangements, contact UNIGLOBE at the above address or telephone numbers.

             *****    Registration Form     *****
             VISUAL FORM AND MOTION PERCEPTION:
        PSYCHOPHYSICS, COMPUTATION, AND NEURAL NETWORKS
           Friday and Saturday, March 4 and 5, 1988
  Conference Auditorium, George Sherman Union, Boston University
        775 Commonwealth Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts

You can enclose a check to cover the registration fee and hotel deposit (the
charge for one night), or use a credit card (American Express, Mastercard,
of Visa).  If you use a credit card, you will only be charged the
registration fee when this form is received, and your card number will
serve to hold your hotel room.  Room cancellations must be received at least
48 hours before scheduled check-in, or you will be charged for one night.

MEETING REGISTRATION FEE:   $ 25.00
Refreshments will be provided during the meeting, and a reception
for all registrants will be held after the talks on Friday, March 4
at The Castle, 225 Bay State Road, Boston.
CHECK AS APPLICABLE:
   ___ I do not need a room.
   ___ I wish to reserve a room for the nights of:
       ___ Thursday, March 3   ___ Friday, March 4   ___ Saturday, March 5
I would like to reserve a:
   ___  single occupancy room ($78.00 per night).
   ___  double occupancy room ($84.00 per night).
      NOTE:  If you choose a double room, enter
      the name of the person sharing your room:_______________________________

   ___ I have enclosed a check for  $__________ to cover the
       meeting registration fee (and hotel room deposit, if applicable).
   ___ Charge my ___ American Express ___ Mastercard  ___ Visa
       for the registration fee:

       Card number:______________________________  Expires:________________

   Name:       ___________________________________________________

   Address:    ___________________________________________________

   Telephone:  ___________________________________________________

Send this form and your check, if applicable, to:

Date: Tue, 17 Nov 87 17:35:33 est
From: Michael Cohen <mike@bucasb.bu.edu>
Subject: Call for Papers - INNS

November 16, 1987

-----CALL FOR PAPERS-----

INTERNATIONAL NEURAL NETWORK SOCIETY
1988 ANNUAL MEETING

September 6--10, 1988
Boston, Massachusetts

The International Neural Network Society (INNS) invites all
those interested in the exciting and rapidly expanding field of
neural networks to attend its 1988 Annual Meeting. The meeting
includes plenary lectures, symposia, contributed oral and poster
presentations, tutorials, commercial and publishing exhibits, a
placement service for employers and educational institutions,
government agency presentations, and social events.

---INNS OFFICERS AND GOVERNING BOARD---

Stephen Grossberg, President; Demetri Psaltis, Vice-President;
Harold Szu, Secretary/Treasurer.

Shun-ichi Amari, James Anderson, Gail Carpenter, Walter Freeman, Kunihiko
Fukushima, Lee Giles, Teuvo Kohonen, Christoph von der Malsburg, Carver Mead,
David Rumelhart, Terrence Sejnowski, George Sperling, Bernard Widrow.

---MEETING ORGANIZERS---

General Meeting Chairman: Bernard Widrow
Technical Program Co-Chairmen: Dana Anderson and James Anderson
Organization Chairman: Gail Carpenter
Tutorial Program Co-Chairmen: Walter Freeman and Harold Szu
Conference Coordinator: Maureen Caudill

---SPEAKERS---

Plenary:
Stephen Grossberg
Carver Mead
Terrence Sejnowski
Nobuo Suga
Bernard Widrow

Cognitive and Neural Systems:
James Anderson
Walter Freeman
Christoph von der Malsburg
David Rumelhart
Allen Selverston

Vision and Pattern Recognition:
Gail Carpenter
Max Cynader
John Daugman
Kunihiko Fukushima
Teuvo Kohonen
Ennio Mingolla
Eric Schwartz
George Sperling
Steven Zucker

Combinatorial Optimization and Content Addressable Memory:
Daniel Amit
Stuart Geman
Geoffrey Hinton
Bart Kosko

Applications and Implementations:
Dana Anderson
Michael Buffa
Lee Giles
Robert Hecht-Nielsen
Demetri Psaltis
Thomas Ryan
Bernard Soffer
Harold Szu
Wilfrid Veldkamp

Motor Control and Robotics:
Jacob Barhen
Daniel Bullock
James Houk
Scott Kelso
Lance Optican

---ABSTRACTS---

Submit abstracts for oral and poster presentation on biological and
technological models of:

--Vision and image processing
--Local circuit neurobiology
--Speech and language
--Analysis of network dynamics
--Sensory-motor control and robotics
--Combinatorial optimization
--Pattern recognition
--Electronic implementation (VLSI)
--Associative learning
--Optical implementation
--Self-organization
--Neurocomputers
--Cognitive information processing
--Applications

Abstracts must be typed on the INNS abstract form in camera-ready format.
Request abstracts from: INNS Conference, 16776 Bernardo Center Drive,
Suite 110B, San Diego, CA 92128 USA. INNS members will be directly sent
an abstract form.

----------ABSTRACT DEADLINE: MARCH 31, 1988----------

Acceptance notifications will be mailed in June, 1988. Accepted abstracts
will be published as a supplement to the INNS journal, Neural Networks,
and mailed to meeting registrants and Neural Networks subscribers in
August, 1988.

---PROGRAM COMMITTEE---

Joshua Alspector      Teuvo Kohonen
Shun-ichi Amari       Bart Kosko
Dana Anderson         Daniel Levine
James Anderson        Richard Lyon
Jacob Barhen          Ennio Mingolla
Michael Buffa         Paul Mueller
Daniel Bullock        Lance Optican
Terry Caelli          David Parker
Gail Carpenter        Demetri Psaltis
Michael Cohen         Adam Reeves
Max Cynader           Thomas Ryan
John Daugman          Jay Sage
David van Essen       Eric Schwartz
Federico Faggin       Allen Selverston
Nabil Farhat          George Sperling
Walter Freeman        David Stork
Kunihiko Fukushima    Harold Szu
Lee Giles             David Tank
Stephen Grossberg     Wilfrid Veldkamp
Morris Hirsch         Bernard Widrow
Scott Kelso

---PARTICIPATING SOCIETIES---

American Mathematical Society; Cognitive Science Society; Optical Society
of America; Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics; Society of
Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers; and others pending.

---TUTORIALS---

Tutorials will consist of eight one-hour introductory lectures by distinguished
scientists. The lectures will help prepare the audience for the more advanced
presentations at the meeting. The tutorial topics include:

1. Vision and image processing
2. Pattern recognition, associative learning, and self-organization
3. Cognitive psychology for information processing
4. Local circuit neurobiology
5. Adaptive filters
6. Nonlinear dynamics for brain theory (competition, cooperation, equilibria,
   oscillations, and chaos)
7. Applications and combinatorial optimization
8. Implementations (electronic, VLSI, and optical neurocomputers)

Tutorials will be held on Tuesday, September 6, 1988, from 8AM to 6PM. The
general conference will begin with a reception at 6PM, followed by the
conference opening and a plenary lecture.

---REGISTRATION AND HOTEL---

Fill out attached forms.

Registration fees partially pay for abstract handling, the books of abstracts,
two evening receptions, coffee breaks, mailings, and administrative expenses.

---TRAVEL---

Call UNIGLOBE (800) 521-5144 or (617) 235-7500 to get discounts of up to 65%
off coach fares.

---COMMERCIAL AND GOVERNMENT FUNCTIONS---

Conference programs have been designed for commercial vendors, government
agencies and research laboratories, publishers, and educational institutions.
These include a large exhibit area (the Boston Park Plaza Castle); a placement
service for employment interviews; catered hospitality suites; and special
presentations. A professional exposition service contractor will carry out
exhibit arrangements. Organizations wishing to be put on a mailing list for
participants in these programs should fill out the enclosed form.

---STUDENTS AND VOLUNTEERS---

Students are welcome to join INNS and to participate in its meeting. See
attached forms for reduced registration, tutorial, and membership fees.
Financial support is anticipated for students and meeting volunteers. To
apply, attach a letter of request and a brief description of interests to
the conference registration form.

****************************** cut here ******************************

---CONFERENCE AND TUTORIAL REGISTRATION FORM---

1988 ANNUAL MEETING
INTERNATIONAL NEURAL NETWORK SOCIETY
September 6--10, 1988
Boston, Massachusetts

Name:
Address:
Telephone(s):

Conference Registration Fee Schedule: CIRCLE ONE
September 6, 1988 (6 PM) -- September 10, 1988 (5 PM)

                        INNS Member      Non-member
Until March 31, 1988    $125             $170(*)
Until July 31, 1988     $175             $220(*)
Full-time student        $50              $85(*)

(*) Includes 1987--1988 INNS membership and 1-year subscription to the INNS
journal, Neural Networks. A membership application form is enclosed.

Tutorial Registration Fee Schedule: CIRCLE ONE
Tuesday, September 6, 1988 (8 AM -- 6 PM)
Note: Tutorial attendees must also register for the conference

                       INNS              INNS
                       Regular Member    Student Member
Until March 31, 1988   $100              $30
Until July 31, 1988    $150              $60

Check or money order enclosed, made payable to INNS.

Or charge:
( ) American Express
( ) MasterCard
( ) VISA

Account No.:
Expiration Date:

Signature _____________________________________________________

MAIL TO: UNIGLOBE---Neural Networks 1988
         40 Washington Street
         Wellesley Hills, MA 02181 USA
         (800) 521-5144
         (617) 235-7500

****************************** cut here ******************************

---ABSTRACT REQUEST FORM---

INTERNATIONAL NEURAL NETWORK SOCIETY
1988 ANNUAL MEETING

September 6--10, 1988
Boston, Massachusetts

NOTE: Abstract forms and instructions will be mailed to INNS members and
to those who have already sent in a request by January, 1988.

Please send an abstract form and instructions to:

Name:
Address:
Telephone(s):

All abstracts must be submitted camera-ready, typed on the INNS abstract form
and postmarked no later than March 31, 1988.

---MAILING LIST---

COMMERCIAL, NON-PROFIT, AND GOVERNMENT ORGANIZATIONS

Please place the name and address listed above on a mailing list for
information about exhibits, placement services for employment interviews,
hospitality suites, and related programs.

( ) Commercial Vendor
( ) Government
( ) Non-profit Corporation
( ) Publisher
( ) Educational Institution
( ) Other (please specify)

MAIL TO: INNS Conference
         16776 Bernardo Center Drive
         Suite 110B
         San Diego, CA 92128 USA

INQUIRIES: (619) 451-3752

****************************** cut here ******************************

---HOTEL RESERVATION FORM---

INTERNATIONAL NEURAL NETWORK SOCIETY
1988 ANNUAL MEETING

September 6--10, 1988
Boston, Massachusetts

Room Reservation: Boston Park Plaza Hotel
                  One Park Plaza at Arlington
                  Boston, MA 02117 USA

Name (1)
No. in Party:

Name (2)
No. in Party:

Name (3)
No. in Party:

City
State
Country
Postal/Zip Code
Arrival Date
Time
Departure Date

Ref: Neural Networks
$91 (+ tax)/night, single or double
Reservations for arrival after 4PM must be guaranteed by:

( ) Check ($91 enclosed)
Or credit card:
( ) VISA
( ) American Express

Card No.:
Expiration Date:
Signature ______________________________________________________

If plans change or you need to cancel (before 4PM Boston time) call
(800) 225-2008 to avoid billing, and retain cancellation number given
by hotel agent.

Check in after 2PM-----Check out prior to 1PM.

MAIL TO: The Boston Park Plaza Hotel
         Attn: Reservations Manager
         50 Park Plaza
         Boston, MA 02117 USA
         (800) 225-2008 (Continental US)
         (800) 462-2022 (Massachusetts only)
         Telex 940107

****************************** cut here ******************************

---MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION FORM---

INTERNATIONAL NEURAL NETWORK SOCIETY

The International Neural Network Society(INNS) is an association of
scientists, engineers, students, and others seeking to learn about
and advance our understanding of the modelling of behavioral and
brain processes, and the application of neural modelling concepts
to technological problems. The INNS will sponsor its first annual
international meeting in Boston, Massachusetts, September 6-10, 1988.
INNS membership includes a subscription to Neural Networks, the
official journal of the Society.

Membership Fees 1987--88 (including a 1-year subscription to Neural Networks)

( ) Regular $45
( ) Full-time Student $35

( ) Check or money order enclosed (payable to INNS).
Or Charge:
( ) American Express
( ) MasterCard
( ) VISA
( ) Diners Club

Account Number:
Expires:
Signature __________________________________________________

Name
Title
Department
Institution

Employment:
   ( ) University
   ( ) Government
   ( ) Industry
   ( ) Other

Mailing Address:
Electronic Mail Address:
Telephone(s):

Education:
   Highest Degree
   Date
   University
   Department

Check your principal areas of interest in neural networks:

( ) Vision and image processing
( ) Local circuit and systems analyses
( ) Speech and language understanding of brain-behavior relationships
( ) Pattern recognition
( ) Combinatorial optimization
( ) Associative learning and long-term memory
( ) Electronic hardware
( ) Self-organization
( ) Optical hardware
( ) Cognitive information processing
( ) Hybrid hardware
( ) Cooperative and competitive network dynamics in short-term memory
( ) Virtual devices
( ) Neurocomputers
( ) Sensory-motor control and robotics
( ) Parallel distributed processing
( ) Other

Signature ____________________________________________________
Date

Mail application to: Dr. Harold Szu
                     NRL, Code 5756
                     Washington, DC 20375-5000, USA
                     Telephone: (202) 767-1493
                     FAX: 202-767-4277
                     E-Mail: ARPNET--Szu @ NRL3

****************************** cut here ******************************

---CALL FOR PAPERS: NEURAL NETWORKS---

Neural Networks commences quarterly publication in January, 1988, of
articles about the full range of biological through technological
neural network models.  Articles in the January issue will include:

   Teuvo Kohonen, An introduction to neural computing.

   Stephen Grossberg, Nonlinear neural networks: Principles, mechanisms,
   and architectures.

   Shun-ichi Amari, Statistical neurodynamics of associative memory.

   Paul R. Gorman and Terrence J. Sejnowski, Analysis of hidden units in a
   layered network trained to classify sonar targets.

   Carver A. Mead and Misha Mahowald, A silicon model of early visual
   processing.

Authors in the April, 1988, issue will include:
Kunihiko Fukushima
Robert Hecht-Nielsen
Christoph von der Malsburg
Demetri Psaltis
Allen Selverston

--Instructions for Authors--

Authors should submit four copies of each manuscript, plus original
illustrations.  Do references in American Psychological Association format;
e.g., Hebb (1949). Submit from Asia and Australia to

     Prof. Shun-ichi Amari
     University of Tokyo
     Faculty of Engineering
     Instrumentation Physics Department
     Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113
     JAPAN

Submit from North and South America to

     Prof. Stephen Grossberg
     Center for Adaptive Systems
     Boston University
     111 Cummington Street
     Boston, MA 02215 USA

Submit from Europe and Africa to

     Prof. Teuvo Kohonen
     Helsinki University of Technology
     Technical Physics Department
     Rakentajanaukio 2C
     SF-02150 Espoo 15
     FINLAND

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Nov 87 13:36:29 CST
From: UNICORN!LUSE@NOSC.MIL
Subject: Call for Papers - ICNN-88

                               CALL FOR PAPERS
                                IEEE ICNN-88

                               24-27 July 1988
                      Sheraton Harbor Island East Hotel
                            San Diego, California

The 1987 IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks (IEEE ICNN-87) -
organized by the IEEE San Diego Section and cosponsored by the IEEE Control
Systems Society and the IEEE Systems, Man, and Cybernetics Society - was held
at the Sheraton Harbor Island East Hotel in San Diego, CA on 21-24 June 1987.
The conference was a huge success (1700 participants, over 200 papers, and
over 20 exhibitors).  Next year we are going to do it again!  IEEE ICNN-88
will be held at the Sheraton Harbor Island hotel in San Diego, California on
Sunday 24 July 1988 thru Wednesday 27 July 1988.  Tutorials will be held on
Saturday 23 July 1988.  The conference is expected to attract over 3,000
participants.  Join us for this history-making event.

Conference Chair:                  Tuevo Kohonen
International Chair:               Kunihiko Fukushima
Organizing Chair:                  Robert Hecht-Nielsen
Program Chair:                     Bart Kosko

Technical Program Committee: Bart Kosko, James Anderson, Michael Arbib, Elle
Bienenstock, Eduardo R. Caianiello, John Caulfield, John Daugman, Rolf
Eckmiller, Kunihiko Fukushima, Stephen Grossberg, Robert Hecht-Nielsen, Morris
Hirsch, Tuevo Kohonen, Jan J. Koenderink, Christoph von der Malsburg, David
Parker, Allen Stubberud, Bernard Widrow, Lofti Zadeh, Terrence Sejnowski,
Carver Mead, Walter Freeman.

Conference Committee: Robert Hecht-Nielsen - Chair, Cleveland Donnelly, Bart
Kosko, Anthony Materna, Martin McNiell, Richard Rea, Tom Schwartz, Pat
Simpson.

Tutorials (to be held at the Sheraton Harbor Island Hotel on Saturday 23 July
1988)
     Notes:    o Each offering will last two hours.
               o Each tutorial will be limited to a maximum of 100
                 participants.
               o Tutorials will be offered one to three times, depending
                 on demand.

     1.  Neurobiological Review
     2.  Adaptive Resonance Theory
     3.  Pattern Recognition Review
     4.  Optical Neurocomputers
     5.  Vision
     6.  Competitive and Cooperative Learning
     7.  Neurocomputing Applications
     8.  Neural Models and Applications
     9.  Self-Organizing Feature Maps
     10. Associative Memory
     11. Electronic Neurocomputers
     12. Parallel Distributed Processing
     13. Speech
     14. Adaptive Neural Networks

Technical Sessions (to be held Sunday 24 July 1988 thru Wednesday 27 July
1988, two morning sessions (8am-12pm) and two afternoon sessions (1pm-5pm)
each day.  Poster Sessions (one morning and one afternoon) will also be held
each day.

     SUNDAY                                  MONDAY
     ======================                  =============================
     Self-Organization                       Network Architectures I
     Network Dynamics                        Learning Algorithms II
     Associative Memory                      Image Processing Applications
     Learning Algorithms I                   Network Architectures II

     TUESDAY                                 WEDNESDAY
     ===========================             ==============================
     Vision                                  Optical Neurocomputers
     Neurobiological Connections             Combinatorial Optimization
     Speech Recognition & Synthesis          Novel Applications
     Electronic Computers                    Robotics and Control

Plenary Sessions, Reception, and Party

     SATURDAY                                SUNDAY
     =================================       ===============================
     Wine and Cheese Reception (6-8pm)       Plenary Session I (7pm-9pm)
     Industry Panel (8pm-10pm)

     MONDAY                                  TUESDAY
     ==========================              ===============================
     Plenary Session II (7-9pm)              Plenary Session III (7-8pm)
                                             Poolside Party (8-10pm)
                                             Government Funding Panel (10pm-?)

Papers:  Papers for the conference must be postmarked no later than 1 April
1988.  All papers must be camera-ready on 8.5in x 11in white papers with
title, author name(s) and affiliation(s) at the top of the first page.  One-
column format with approximately 10 point or larger Times or similar font type
should be used and 1in margins must be maintained on all four sides.  All
text, figures, captions, and references must be clean, sharp, readable, and
high contrast.  Maximum paper length is 8 pages.  Approximately 160 papers
will be selected for presentation during the technical sessions of the
conference.  Other high-quality papers will be accepted for presentation in
the poster sessions.  Papers can only be submitted by registered conference
participants.  Send papers to: Nomi Feldman, IEEE ICNN-88 Conference
Secretariat, 3770 Tansy Street, San Diego, CA 92121.  You must specify which
one (and only one) of the technical sessions listed above you wish to have the
paper in.

Registration:  Conference registration is $180 before 1 April 1988, $220
between 1 April 1988 and 30 June 1988, and $275 thereafter.  One-day
registrations will be available only at the door and will be $110.  Full-time
students with picture IDs and proof of full-time student status can register
at the door for $90.  Tutorials cost $100 each or four for $350.  IEEE Members
will receive a 10% discount on all prices except student registration and
tutorials.  Send Conference and Tutorial Registration Fees with your name,
address, and phone number(s) to:  Nomi Feldman, IEEE ICNN-88 Conference
Secretariat, 3770 Tansy Street, San Diego, CA 92121.  Be sure to state which
tutorials you wish to attend (you can register for up to four) and give at
least one alternate selection.  For further information call Nomi Feldman at
619-453-6222.

End of NEURON-Digest