[comp.ai.neural-nets] NEURON Digest - V3 #2

NEURON-Request@ti-csl.csc.ti.COM (NEURON-Digest moderator Michael Gately) (01/28/88)

NEURON Digest	Thu Jan 28 08:32:42 CST 1988   Volume 3 / Issue 2
Today's Topics:

 NEURON Overview
 Abstracts
 Genesis of language (was: Why can't my cat talk, and a bunch of others)
 Re: Genesis of language (was: Why can't my cat talk, and a bunch of others)
 Neural net researchers in robotics
 Final meeting schedule for posting

Date: 29 Jan 87
From: Michael T. Gately <gately@ti-csl.csnet>
Subject: NEURON Overview

This issue of NEURON is a mixed bag of entries that I found floating
around in my directory.  Some ae very old (apologies) and several are
worth looking at immediately.

I have just completed a complicated series of vacations and
presentations, which have given NEURON a shaky time schedule.  I will
try to smooth this out.

The NEURON mailing list has approximately 700 entrie, many of which
are redistribution accounts.  I have threatened in the past to figure
out a way to consolidate some of these -- but there does not seem to
be a foolproof way.  I'll keep working on it.

Again, I am sorry for the inconsistencies of NEURON.

Regards,
Mike Gately

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Dec 87 12:26:00 EST
From: takefuji@uniks.ece.scarolina.edu
Subject: Abstract

A Conductance programmable "neural" chip based on a Hopfield model employs
deterministically/stochastically controlled switched resistors

Yutaka Akiyama*, Yoshiyasu Takefuji**, Yong B. Cho**, Yoshiaki Ajioka*,
and Hideo Aiso*

* Keio University
Department of Electrical Engineering
3-14-1 Hiyoshi, Kouhoku-ku, Yokohama 223
JAPAN

** University of South Carolina
Columbia, SC 29208
(803)-777-5099

Abstract
	The artificial neural net models have been studied for many years.
	There has been  a recent resurgence in the field of artificial neural
	nets caused by Hopfield. Hopfield models are suitable for VLSI
	implementations because of the simple architecture and components such
	as OP Amps and resistors. However VLSI techniques for implementing the
	neural models face difficulties dynamically changing the values of the
	conductances Gij to represent the problem constraints.
	In this paper, VLSI neural network architectures based on a Hopfield
	model with deterministically/stochastically controlled variable
	conductances are presented. The stochastic model subsumes both
	functions of the hopfield model and Boltzmann machine in terms of
	neural behaviors. We are under implementations of two CMOS VLSI
	neural chips based on the proposed methods.

Multinomial Conjunctoid Statistical Learning Machines

Yoshiyasu Takefuji, Robert Jannarone, Yong B. Cho, and Tatung Chen

Unversity of South Carolina
Department of ECE
Columbia, SC 29208
(803)777-5099

ABSTRACT
	Multinomial Conjunctoids are supervised statistical modules that learn
	the relationships among binary events. The multinomial conjunctoid
	algorithm precluded the following problems that occur in existing
	feedforward multi-layerd neural networks:(a) existing networks often
	cannot detemine underlying neural architectures, for example how many
	hidden layers should be used, how many neurons in each hidden layer are
	required, and what interconnections between neurons should be made;(b)
	existing networks cannot avoid convergence to suboptimal solutions
	during the learning process; (c) existing networks require many
	iterations to converge, if at all, to stable states; and (d) existing
	networks may not be sufficiently general to reflect all learning
	situations.
	By contrast multinomial conjunctoids are based on a well-developed
	statistical decision theory framework, which guarantees that learning
	algorithms will converge to optimal learning states as the number of
	learning trials increases, and that convergence during each trial will
	be very fast.

Conjunctoids: Statistical Learning Modules for Binary Events

Robert Jannarone, Kai Yu, and Y. Takefuji

University of South Carolina
Department of ECE
Columbia, SC 29208
(803)777-7930

ABSTRACT

A general family of fast and efficient PDP learning modules for binary events
is introduced. The family (a) subsumes probabilistic as well as functional
event associations; (b) subsumes all levels of input/output associations; (c)
yields truly parallel learning processes; (d) provides for optimal parameter
estimation; (e) points toward a workable description of optimal model
performance; (f) provides for retaining and incorporating previously learned
information; and (g) yields procedures that are simple and fast enough to
be serious candidates for reflecting both neural functioning and real time
machine learning. Examples as well as operationial details are provided.

If you need the full copies of those papers, please state which papers you are
requesting through Email, phone, or USmail.

For Multinomial and VLSI neural chips papers:

Dr. Y. Takefuji
University of South Carolina
Deparment of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Columbia, SC 29208

(803)777-5099
(803)777-4195

takefuji@uniks.ece.scarolina.edu

For Conjuncoids papers:

Dr. Robert Jannarone
University of South Carolina
Columbia, SC 29208

(803) 777-7930

jann@uniks.ece.scarolina.edu

Thank you...

------------------------------

Date: 3 Dec 87 02:27:01 GMT
From: tektronix!sequent!mntgfx!msellers@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Mike Sellers)
Subject: Genesis of language (was: Why can't my cat talk, and ...)

[I've just recently gotten my posting powers back, so this may seem somewhat
late.  However, the discussion doesn't seem to have progressed too far in
terms of answering some of the basic questions involved here, so I thought
I'd go ahead and throw in some neurological data.  I've included salient
portions of the original article that started this whole thing, along with
my comments.
I'd appreciate comments, as I've not seen much in the way of cognition or
linguistics from a neurological point of view on the net.]

Mike Glantz wrote an article that ended with:
>  Does anyone have any concrete information about human brain physiology
>  which would favor the completely ``physiological'' hypothesis of
>  linguistic capability over the ``sociological/anthropological''
>  explanation, or which would shed any other light on the question?

  I haven't seen much in the way of concrete information about these
questions on the net, so I'm posting what I know.  I think many of the people
interested in problems like this one would do well to become more familiar
with recent neurological findings; while they often follow what you might
assume or intuit to be true, the human brain is often stranger and more
elegant that you would imagine.
  The rest of the references here are from Mike Glantz's original article.

>  Much discussion about neural networks carries the implication that it
>  is a human brain researchers are hoping, ultimately, to simulate, and
>  that a successful simulation will exhibit human linguistic capability.
>  This is certainly an admirable and worthwhile, if ambitious, goal. But
>  current models don't seem to have any features which would distinguish
>  a human brain from, say, a cat's brain (I realize this is very early
>  days - no criticism intended). This will eventually have to be dealt
>  with.

  More precisely: current connectionist models are much closer to the brain
of the Aplysia (sea hare, a type of sea slug), or even the planaria's ganglia,
than they are to the human brain, both in terms of absolute neural complexity
and internal symbolic structure.  Both the amount of neural structure (whether
biological or synthetic in origin) and the synaptic and symbolic organization
of that structure are important to an understanding of what is happening and
how it happens.  (I am using the work 'symbolic' here to denote any software-
like components of the neural organization; this level of complexity may
derive some of its attributes from the underlying physical structure --what
Pylyshyn calls the 'functional architecture'-- but the specific function of
the architecture is not derivable by examining the structure itself.)
  Little is known about how and why the human brain organizes (lateralizes)
itself on a neural or nuclear (groups of neurons) level as it does.  This
knowledge is crucial to performing any sort of artificial simulation of human
linguistic capabilities.  What is known, however, can shed some light on many
of the questions being bandied about in this discussion.

>  One possible explanation for why humans have language and cats don't is
>  that there may be one or more physiological structures unique to the
>  human brain, other than its larger capacity, which make language
>  possible. This is the most obvious explanation that comes to mind, and
>  is perfectly reasonable, although we haven't yet identified which
>  structures these are, or what roles they might play.

  On a large scale, it is known that two areas of the brain are specific to
linguistic ability.  These are Broca's and Wernicke's areas, which appear
in the left frontal and temporal cortices of most adult humans.  They do
not appear in other animals.  Some humans develop with these areas in other
places (i.e. about 30% of all left-handers lateralize with these areas in
the right hemisphere, and a few people seem to have speech control resident
in both hemispheres), but with only a few pathological exceptions, they do
appear in all human brains.  It is probable that the amount of cortical mass
does have to with the ability to develop areas like Broca's and Wernicke's:
cortical real estate is expensive, so having areas with functions like
linguistics probably depends on having enough 'other' mass to devote to
everything else the organism needs to be doing.

>  But another possibility is that maybe the larger brain capacity is
>  sufficient, but that language is possible only after certain
>  ``internal'' or ``symbolic'' structures are built on top of the
>  physiological base. This building occurs during infancy and early
>  childhood, and the resulting structures can be considered to be part of
>  the human brain, every bit as real as the physiologically observable
>  features.

  There are structural differences between Broca's and Wernicke's areas and
the rest of the cerebral cortex, and identifiable connections between these
two areas (called the Arcuate fasciculus, I believe) as well.  Broca's area
is adjacent to the motor cortex, and controls facial expression, phonation,
etc., while Wernicke's area controls comprehension, sentence construction,
etc.  Many tests and case studies have shown how integral these two areas
are to our creation and comprehension of speech.  On the other hand, these
areas do not appear to be differentiated from the rest of the cortex at birth.
Some areas, such as the visual, sensory, and motor cortices, are already
well developed and dedicated to their specific function at birth, even though
the brain is still rapidly growing at this point (some estimates put the rate
of growth at 100,000 new neurons per minute!).  Other areas, such as most
of the pre-frontal and temporal lobes, appear to be 'blank' at birth.  That
is, the neural and glial structures are present, but no specific function has
been assigned to or adopted by that area.
  What is interesting is what happens beginning just before birth, and for
several years afterwards: neurons die in droves.  It seems that each neuron
sends out many (thousands) of afferent and efferent fibers to other neurons
(how each knows which and how many to send out initially is still a mystery).
These fibers will eventually become dendrites (for input) and axons (for
output).  What then happens is that those fibers that are used (stimulated)
become thicker and stronger, and in the case of dendrites, put out smaller
hair-like fibers.  Those fibers that are not used die off, severing the
previously made connection.  If enough fibers from a cell are not used, the
cell itself dies.  Probably what is happening is that those fibers that are
used get preferential supplies of mitochondria and Golgi complexes, leaving
others to wither from disrepair; if too few fibers are used, the cell itself
does not maintain enough mitochondria and Golgi complexes to keep it going,
and so it dies.  The upshot of this is a sort of 'survival of the fittest'
among neurons: those that are used the most survive, while others die.
Since connections between neurons in the brain is most of what matters (if
not all that matters), this has a profound effect on the developing organism
as a whole.  This process of neural death peaks out in humans at around
5 years old, I believe, and generally ends by the time we are 7-10 years old.
It is unclear how much neural death and/or regeneration takes place after
this point, but it is clearly over on any large scale by this time.  In some
areas of the brain, 10-20% percent of the neurons die (as in the visual
system, where the error rate for initial fibers seems to be as low as 5%,
even among billions of possible connections), while in other areas (such as
the pre-frontal cortex), up to 85% of the initial population die off.  It
is probably safe to make a connection between those areas that have high
incidence of neural death and those that are affected by the environment and
other non-biological factors.  The pre-frontal, temporal, and parietal lobes
(where we do much of our "thinking", associating, comprehending, remembering,
speaking, pattern matching, etc.) are all severely affected by the neural
death.

>  [...]
>  The principal hypothesis, here, is that, given sufficient relative
>  brain capacity, and the appropriate socialization process, any
>  individual of another species (a porpoise, for example) could acquire
>  linguistic ability.

I don't think so.  What is involved in the development of the brain is more
than just socialization; it also has to do with feedback with sensory and
motor targets in the body (if a mouse has no whiskers on one side, all 'those'
neurons will connect up with the whiskers on the other side) as well as with
evolutionary trends.  Clearly the environment (and thus socialization) play
a large role in how brain develops, as studies with rich/nominal/deprived
environments have shown, but this is not the only factor.  Even brain size
(or more accurately, central nervous system weight to body weight ratio)
is not necessarily a limiting factor.  Porpoises, for example, though they
have a CNS to body ratio similar to humans, have little 'blank' space in
their brains that could take up tasks like high-order association or
lingusitics.  That they do not possess the organs for speech further compounds
the problem.
  While animals in 'enriched' developmental environments will end up with
thicker, denser cortices, better dendritic connections between neurons,
and seemingly more intelligence, they will not spontaneously start using
portions of their brains for previously unknown tasks (at least, not so far
as we know :-) ).  Thus a mouse will not develop a more complex mouse-language
or the ability to perform previously undo-able tasks after being raised in
an enriched environment.  It may do tasks that other mice can do better than
many of them, but it will not start doing really new things.  (While this
might lead you to believe that *no one* could come up with new cortical
functions, keep in mind that all studies done so far do not take in to account
evolutionary time periods.  This could make a large difference.)

>  [Aside: It is known that the human brain (and that of other mammals, as
>  well) undergoes physiological changes during the period of infancy and
>  early childhood. It is possible that the initial acquisition of
>  linguistic skills can only occur effectively during this period, during
>  which time these physiological changes are significantly ``molded'' by
>  the socialization process, where certain ``symbolic'' structures
>  actually become ``wired in''. If this were the case, then the period
>  during which basic linguistic ability can be acquired would be limited
>  to this ``crystallization'' period, which is possibly much longer in
>  humans than in other mammals. We would then have to amend the
>  hypothesis to read: given sufficient brain capacity and a sufficiently
>  long ``crystallization period'' etc. It then remains (among other
>  things) to determine the exact nature of this ``crystallization'', and
>  incorporate a sufficiently long duration of this in a computer model.

  I have discussed briefly the period of development/molding that comes
about in the CNS by the process of massive neural genesis, followed by
massive neural death.  This is almost certainly responsible for much of the
high learning rate seen in human children.  Once the brain is relatively
stabilized (after age 8 or so), it may be that all subsequent learning is
accomplished with intra-neuron changes and changes in synaptic weights.
It is probable that some neural change occurs in response to learning in
adults, though nothing like what is seen in children.  This is also probably
the source of the 'crystallization period' brought up here, and accounts for
much of what has been discussed since.
  I would amend the above hypothesis to read as follows:  Linguistic ability
(as an example of complex cognitively-learned behaviors, as opposed to things
like 3D visual perception) can only be brought about given a base containing
enough neural structure with a long period of highly dynamic change and
maturation and enough stimulation of the structure to organize it into
function groups (ala neuronal nuclei).  This is a view of linguistic onset
and cognition in general that relies more on the developmental aspects of
the brain than has been fashionable since the cognitive sciences became any
sort of a reality.  I do not believe that we will ever realize natural
language processing or any other sort of complex cognitive ability in
artificial systems until we learn more about the development of the human
brain and take this information into account in our models.

Comments would be appreciated.

Mike Sellers
...!tektronix!sequent!mntgfx!msellers
Mentor Graphics Corp., EPAD
-------

------------------------------

Date: 5 Dec 87 02:52:39 GMT
From: ptsfa!well!wcalvin@ames.arpa  (William Calvin)
Subject: Re: Genesis of language (was: Why can't my cat talk, and ...)

Apropos cell death in brains, the old saw about losing 10,000 neurons every
day is now being challenged by the people that work on cerebral cortex; they
seem to think that there is little neuron loss there during most of postnatal
life.  Some subcortical areas like substantia nigra do lose 50% of cells by
age 70, while adjacent regions in midbrain may lose less than 2%.
  But there is a LOT of synapse death -- or, as I like to phrase it, withdraw
of axon collaterals, breaking synapses.  Synaptic density in neocortex
peaks at 8 months after birth (in humans; 2 months in monkey) -- and then
drops by 30-50% during childhood.  After puberty, the data gets too noisy
to interpret.  So there is a lot of opportunity for Darwinian editing of
randomly-made synaptic connection, achieving information storage by carving
(rather like photographic development removes unexposed silver grains).
	I review a variety of Darwinian selection stories in my piece
in the 5 November 1987 NATURE 330:33-34, entitled "The brain as a Darwin
Machine."
		William H. Calvin
		University of Washington NJ-15, Seattle WA 98195
		  206/328-1192  wcalvin@well.uucp

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Dec 87 06:59 PST
From: nesliwa%nasamail@ames.arpa (NANCY E. SLIWA)
Subject: Neural net researchers in robotics

Thanks to all of you who responded to my request for names of researchers
doing connectionist research in the robotics domain. As I have had several
requests for copies of that list, I am posting it here. A few disclaimers:
I merely took the names sent to me, weeded out the duplicates, and put them
in alphabetical order. Formats and cases are dissimilar for several entries.
There is no guarantee that all the people listed are working in the robotics
domain; in fact, I doubt that is the case. I put *** by the names that were
repeatedly suggested to me, about 10 from the list of ~75.

I have also had several requests about the ACC session on robotic applications
of connectionist systems. I will post that in a subsequent message.

Nancy Sliwa
MS 152D
NASA Langley Research Center
Hampton, VA 23665-5225
804/865-3871
nesliwa%nasamail@ames.arpa

Dr. Albert Ahumada
NASA Ames Research Center
415/694-6257

James Albus
National Bureau of Standards

Aleksander, Igor (UK)
Imperial College of Sci.& Technol.
Department of Computing, 180 Queens Gate
London SW7 2BZ, Tel.:(1)5895111 ext.4985

de Almeida, Luis B. (PORTUGAL)
University of Lisboa
Inst. Eng. Comp. Systems, Rua Alves Redol 9
P-1000 Lisboa, Tel.:(1)544607

Chuck Anderson   cwa@gte-labs  (csnet)
connectionist methods for learning to balance an inverted pendulum
GTE Laboratories Inc.
40 Sylvan Road
Waltham, MA  02254
617-466-4157

Anderson, Dana Z. (USA)
University of Colorado
Department of Physics
Boulder, CO 80309, Tel.:(303)492-5202
Comp.Net: DANA@JILA.BITNET

Anninos, Photios (GREECE)
University of Thraki
Dept. Medicine, Neurol.& Med. Physics
G-68100 Alexandroupolis, Tel.:(551)25292

Arbib, Michael A. (USA)			***
University of Southern California
Computer Science Dept., University Park
Los Angeles, CA 90089-0782, Tel.:(213)743-6452
Comp.Net: ARBIB@USC-CSE.USC.EDU.CSNET

Barhen, Jacob (USA)			***
Oak Ridge National Laboratory (moved to JPL/CalTech)
P.O.Box X
Oak Ridge, Tennessee 37831, Tel.:(615)5746162
Comp.Net: JBY@ORNL-MSR.ARPA

Andrew Barto
connectionist methods for learning to balance an inverted pendulum
GTE Laboratories Inc.
40 Sylvan Road
Waltham, MA  02254
617-466-4157

George Bekey
grasping, connectionist models of material handling using multiple mobile
robots
bekey@usc-cse.usc.edu

Beroule, Dominique (FRANCE)
LIMSI-CNRS
Lab. Inform. Mecan.& Sci. l'Ing.
F-91406 Orsay, Tel.:(16)9418250

Berthoz, Alain (FRANCE)
CNRS
Laboratoire de Physiol. Neurosensorielle
15 rue de l'Ecole de Medicine
F-75270 Paris, Tel.:(1)4329-6154

Bienenstock, Elie (FRANCE)
Universite de Paris-Sud
Laboratoire de Neurobiol. du Developement
Centre d'Orsay - Bat. 440
F-91405 Orsay, Tel.:(16)941-7825
Comp.Net: UNHA002@FRORS12.BITNET

Dan Bullock
Center for Adaptive Systems
Department of Mathematics
Boston University
Boston, MA  02215

Caianiello, Eduardo R. (ITALY)
Universita di Salerno
Dipartimento di Fiscia Teorica
I-84100 Salerno, Tel.:(89)878299

Dr. Gail Carpenter
Northeastern University
Department of Mathematics, 504LA
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115

Dr. Leon Cooper
Brown University
Center for Neural Science
Providence, RI 02912

Cotterill, Rodney M. J. (DENMARK)
Technical University of Denmark
Div. Molecular Biophysics, Building 307
DK-2800 Lyngby, Tel.:(2)882488

Daunicht, Wolfgang (W.GERMANY)
Universitt Dsseldorf
Dept. Biophysics, Universittsstr. 1
D-4000 Dsseldorf 1, Tel.:(211)311-4538
Comp.Net: DAUNICHT@DD0RUD81.BITNET

Dreyfus, Gerard (FRANCE)
ESPCI
Lab. d'Electronique, 10 rue Vauquelin
F-75005 Paris, Tel.:(1)3377700
Comp.Net: UIFR000@FRORS31.BITNET

Eckmiller, Rolf (W.GERMANY)
Universitt Dsseldorf
Dept. Biophysics, Universittsstr. 1
D-4000 Dsseldorf 1, Tel.:(211)311-4540
Comp.Net: ECKMILLE@DD0RUD81.BITNET

Feldman, Jerome A. (USA)		***
University of Rochester
Computer Science Department
Rochester, NY 14627, Tel.:(716)275-5492
Comp.Net: FELDMAN@ROCHESTER.ARPA

FUKUSHIMA, KUNIHIKO (JAPAN)		***
NHK
BROADCASTING SCIENCE RESEARCH LAB.
1-10-11, KINUTA, SETAGAYA
TOKYO 157, JAPAN
TEL.:(3)415-5111

GARTH, SIMON (UK)
TEXAS INSTRUMENTS LTD.
MANTON LANE, M/S 4223
BEDFORD MK41 7PA
TEL.:(234)223843

John Gilmore
Georgia Tech Research Institute
image processing

Nigel Goddard
Recognition from motion, motion control
goddard@venera.isi.edu

Dr. Stephen Grossberg			***
Center for Adaptive Systems
Room 244
111 Cummington Street
Boston University
Boston, MA   02215

HARTMANN,KLAUS-PETER(W.GERMANY)
UNIVERSITAET PADERBORN
ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING
POHLWEG 7
D-4790 PADERBORN
TEL:(5251)601-2206

HECHT-NIELSEN, ROBERT (USA)
NEUROCOMPUTER CORP.
5893 OBERLIN DRIVE
SAN DIEGO, CA 92121
TEL.: (619)546-8877

HERTZ, JOHN (DENMARK)
NORDITA
TEORETISK ATOMFYSIK
BLEGDAMSVEJ 17
DK-2100 KOBENHAVN 0
TEL.:(1)421616

Geoffrey Hinton				***
University of Toronto (was at CMU)

HOFFMANN, KLAUS-PETER (W.GERMANY)
UNIVERSITAET BOCHUM
DEPT.GEN.ZOOLOGY
UNIVERSITAETSSTR.150
D-4630 BOCHUM
TEL.:(234)700-4364

HUBERMAN, BERNARDO A. (USA)
XEROX PALO ALTO
RESEARCH CENTER
3333 COYOTE HILL ROAD
PALO ALTO, CA 94304
TEL.:(415)494-4147
COMP.NET: HUBERMAN@XEROX.ARPA

Thea Iberall				***
Hartford Gradate Center (currently at Toronto for the semester)
neural networks for modeling human prehension

JACKEL, LARRY D.
AT & T BELL LABS.
ROOM 4D-433
HOLMDEL, NJ 07733
TEL.:(201)949-7773

Mike Jordan
Univ. of Massachusetts, Amherst
(413) 545-1596

Dr. Pentti Kanerva			***
NASA Ames Research Center
415/694-6922
ARPA: kanerva@riacs.edu
UUCP: ames!riacs!kanrva

KOCH, CHRISTOF (USA)
CALTECH
DIVISION OF BIOLOGY, 216-76
PASADENA, CA 91125
TEL.:(818)356-6855
COMP.NET:KOCH@HAMLET.BITNET

KOENDERNIK, JAN J. (NETHERLAND)
RIJKSUNIVERSITEIT UTRECHT
FYSISCH LAB.
PRINCETONPLEIN 5
NL-3508 TA UTRECHT
TEL.:(30)533985

KOHONEN, TEUVO (FINLAND)
HELSINKI UNIV. OF TECHNOLOGY
DEPT. OF TECHNICAL PHYSICS
SF-02150 ESPOO 15
TEL.:(0)460144

KORN, AXEL (W.GERMANY)
FRAUNHOFER-INSTITUT
INFORMATIONS- UND DATENVERARBEITUNG
SEBASTIAN-KNEIPP-STR. 12-14
D-7500 KARLSRUHE 1
TEL.:(721)60911

V. D. MALSBURG, CHRISTOPH (W.GERMANY)
MPI BIOPHS. CHEMIE
DEPT. NEUROBIOLOGY
NIKOLAUSBERG
D-3400-GOETTINGEN
TEL.:(551)201-623
COMP.NET: MPC07M AT DGOGWD01..BITNET

MAY, DAVID (UK)
INMOS LTD.
1000 AZTEC WEST, ALMONDSBURY
BRISTOL BS124 SQ
TEL.:(454)616616

Tom Miller
Univ. of New Hampshire, Durham (EE Dept)

MOORE, WILL R. (UK)
OXFORD UNIVERSITY
DEPT. OF ENGINEERING SCIENCE
PARKS ROAD
OXFORD OX1 3PJ
TEL.:(865)273000

John Nagle
adaptive control of a skidding autonomous vehicle
Center for Design Research
Stanford
415-856-0767
jbn@glacier.stanford.edu

NIJMAN,A.(LOEK)J.(NETHERLANDS)
PHILIPS RESEARCH LABS.
WB3,P.O.BOX 80 000
NL-5600 JA EINDHOVEN
TEL.:(40)742558

ORBAN, GUY (BELGIUM)
KATHOL. UNIVERSITY LEUVEN
LAB. NEURO- AND PSYCHOPHYSIOLOGY
B-3000 LEUVEN
TEL.:(16)215740

PALM, GUENTHER (W.GERMANY)
MPI FUER BIOLOGISCHE KYBERNETIK
SPEMANNSTR. 38
D-7400 TUEBINGEN 1
TEL.:(7071)601551
COMP.NET:DKWA001@DTUZDV5A.BITNET

PATARNELLO, STEFANO (ITALY)
IBM ECSEC
VIA GIORGIONE 159
I-00147 ROME
TEL.:(6)54861
COMP.NET: PATARNEL AT IECSEC.BITNET

PELLIONISZ, ANDRAS J. (USA)		***
NEW YORK UNIVERSITY
DEPT. PHYSIOLOGY & BIOPHYSICS
550 FIRST AVENUE
NEW YORK, NY 10016
TEL.:(212)340-5422

PHILLIPS, WILLIAM A. (UK)
UNIVERSITY OF STIRLING
DEPT. PSYCHOLOGY
STIRLING FK9 4LA
TEL.:(786)73171

Gil Pitney
robotic path planning
UCSB Comp. Sci. Dept.
(805)961-8221.

REEKE, GEORGE N.
ROCKEFELLER UNIVERSITY
1230 YORK AVENUE
NEW YORK, NY 10021
TEL.:(212)570-7627
COMP.NET:CDRNI@CUNYVM.BITNET

SAMI, MARIAGIOVANNA (ITALY)
POLITECNICO DI MILANO
DEPT. ELECTRONICS
PLAZA L. DA VINCI 32
I-20133 MILANO
TEL.:(2)2367241

SCHULTEN, KLAUS (W.GERMANY)
TU MUENCHEN
PHYSIK-DEPARTMENT
JAMES-FRANCK-STR.
D-8046 GARCHING B. MUENCHEN
TEL.:(89)3209-2368

V. SEELEN, WERNER (W.GERMANY)
JOHANNES GUTENBERG UNIVERSITAET
DIVISION OF BIOPHYSICS
SAARSTR. 21
D-6500 MAINZ
TEL.:(6131)39-2471

SEJNOWSKI, TERRENCE J. (USA)		***
JOHNS HOPKINS UNIVERSITY
DEPARTMENT OF BIOPHYSICS, JENKINS HALL
BALTIMORE, MD 21218
TEL.:(301)338-8687

John Shepanski
TRW, MS O2/1779
One Space Park
Redondo Beach, CA, 90278

SINGER, WOLF (W.GERMANY)
MPI FUER HIRNFORSCHUNG
DIV. NEUROPHYSIOLOGY
DEUTSCHORDENSTR. 46
D-6000 FRANKFURT 71
TEL.:(69)6704-218

Dr. Terrence Smith
robotic path planning
UCSB Comp. Sci. Dept.
(805)961-8221.

Paul Scott
Univ. of Michigan, Ann Arbor (ECE Dept.)

Don Soloway
neural nets for robot manipulator kinematics
MS 152D
NASA Langley Research Center
Hampton, VA 23665-5225
804/865-3871

Rich Sutton
GTE Labs
(617) 466-4133
rich@gte-labs.csnet

TANK, DAVID W. (USA)
AT & T BELL LABS
MOLEC BIOPHYS. RES. DEPT.
600 MOUNTAIN AVENUE
MURRAY HILL, NJ 07974
TEL.:(201)582-7058

Dr. Richard F. Thompson
Stanford University
Department of Psychology
Bldg. 4201 -- Jordan Hall
Stanford, CA 94305

TORRAS, CARME (SPAIN)
UNIV. DE POLITECH. DE CATALONIA
INSTITUTE FOR CYBERNETICS, DIAGONAL 647
E-08028 BARCELONA
TEL.:(3)249-2842

TRELEAVEN, PHILIP (UK)
UNIVERSITY COLLEGE
DEPT. OF COMPUTER SCIENCE
GOWER STREET
LONDON WC1E 6BT
TEL.: 13877050
COMP.NET: TRELEAVEN@CS.UCL.AC.UK.ARPA

WALLACE,DAVID J.(UK)
UNIVERSITY OF EDINBURGH
DEPT.PHYSICS
MAYFIELD ROAD
EDINBURGH EH9 3JZ
TEL:(31)6671081 ext.2850

Dr. Andrew B. Watson
NASA Ames Research Center
415/694-5419

Dr Allen Waxman
Laboratory for Sensory Robotics
Boston University
waxman@buengc.bu.edu

WEISBUCH, GERARD (FRANCE)
ECOLE NORMAL SUPERIEURE
PHYSIQUE DES SOLIDES
24 RUE LHOMOND
F-75231 PARIS
TEL.:(1)43291225 EXT.3475

ZEEVI, JOSHUA Y. (ISRAEL)
TECHNION ISRAEL INST. TECHNOL.
DEPT. OD ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING
HAIFA 32000, ISRAEL
TEL.: (4)293111

ZUCKER,STEVEN(CANADA)
MCGILL UNIVERSITY
DEPT.ELECTRICAL ENG.
MONTREAL,P.Q.
TEL:(514)398-7134
COMP.NET:ZUCKER@SRI-IU.ARPA

ZUSE, KONRAD (W.GERMANY)
IM HASELGRUND 21
D-6518 HUENFELD
TEL.:(6652)2928

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Jan 88 13:19:58 EST
From: Ennio Mingolla <ennio%bucasb.bu.edu@bu-it.bu.edu>
Subject: Final meeting schedule for posting

        *****   Final Meeting Schedule:     (Please Post)    *****

              VISUAL FORM AND MOTION PERCEPTION:
        PSYCHOPHYSICS, COMPUTATION, AND NEURAL NETWORKS

           Friday and Saturday, March 4 and 5, 1988
  Conference Auditorium, George Sherman Union, Boston University
        775 Commonwealth Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts

     This meeting has been dedicated to the memory of the late
     KVETOSLAV PRAZDNY, who was to have been a speaker, and
     whose tragic death has deprived the field of visual
     perception of one of its most talented investigators.

           Schedule for Day 1, Friday, March 4, 1988
MORNING:

 8:00  Coffee and Doughnuts

 8:30  L. AREND, Eye Research Institute.
       Lightness and color in complex scenes

 9:20  A. REEVES, Northeastern University.
       Fundamental mechanisms of color vision

10:10  Coffee and Discussion

10:30  W. RICHARDS, MIT.
       Encoding shape by curvature

11:20  J. DAUGMAN, Harvard University.
       Image segmentation by networks for signal orthogonalization

12:10  Discussion

12:20  Lunch

AFTERNOON:

 1:50  E. MINGOLLA, Boston University.
	  Recent results in emergent visual segmentations

 2:40  S. GROSSBERG, Boston University.
       Filling in the forms: Monocular and binocular constraints on
       surface lightness perception

 3:30  Coffee and Discussion

 3:50  I. BIEDERMAN, University of Minnesota.
       Invariant primitives for visual image understanding

 4:40  Discussion

 5:15 -- 7:00  Reception at The Castle, 225 Bay State Road.

Schedule for Day 2, Saturday, March 5, 1988

MORNING:

 8:00  Coffee and Doughnuts

 8:30  S. ZUCKER, McGill University.
       From orientation selection to optical flow

 9:20  G. SPERLING, New York University.
       Non-Fourier motion perception and its relations to orientation
       perception and structure from motion

10:10  Coffee and Discussion

10:30  J. LAPPIN, Vanderbilt University.
       The optical information for perceiving metric structure from motion

11:20  J. TODD, Brandeis University.
       Perception of smoothly curved surfaces

12:10  Discussion

12:20  Lunch

AFTERNOON:

 1:50  R. SAVOY, Rowland Institute.
       Traditional form and motion stimuli presented to isolated cone classes

 2:40  V. RAMACHANDRAN, UCSD.
       The utilitarian theory of perception:  Interactions between
       motion, form, color, and texture

 3:30  Coffee and Discussion

 3:50  P. CAVANAGH University of Montreal.
       Motion:  The long and the short of it

 4:40  S. ANSTIS, York University. (To be announced)

 5:30 -- 6:00  Discussion

This meeting is sponsored by the Boston Consortium for Behavioral and
Neural Studies, a group of researchers supported by the Air Force Office
of Scientific Research Life Sciences Program.  A Howard Johnson's Motor
Lodge is located at 575 Commonwealth Avenue, and a limited number of rooms
at a reduced conference rate can be reserved until February 10, 1988.
Registration and hotel accomodations for the meeting are being handled by:

   UNIGLOBE--Vision Meeting                Telephone:
   40 Washington Street                    (800) 521-5144
   Wellesley Hills, MA   02181             (617) 235-7500

A meeting registration and hotel reservation form is attached. For
more information, contact UNIGLOBE at the above address or telephone numbers.
****************** insert page break here ********************************
             *****    Registration Form     *****
             VISUAL FORM AND MOTION PERCEPTION:
        PSYCHOPHYSICS, COMPUTATION, AND NEURAL NETWORKS
           Friday and Saturday, March 4 and 5, 1988
  Conference Auditorium, George Sherman Union, Boston University
        775 Commonwealth Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts

You can enclose a check to cover the registration fee and hotel deposit (the
charge for one night), or use a credit card (American Express, Mastercard,
of Visa).  If you use a credit card, you will only be charged the
registration fee when this form is received, and your card number will
serve to hold your hotel room.  Room cancellations must be received at least
48 hours before scheduled check-in, or you will be charged for one night.

MEETING REGISTRATION FEE:   $ 25.00
Refreshments will be provided during the meeting, and a reception
for all registrants will be held after the talks on Friday, March 4
at The Castle, 225 Bay State Road, Boston.
CHECK AS APPLICABLE:
   ___ I do not need a room.
   ___ I wish to reserve a room for the nights of:
       ___ Thursday, March 3   ___ Friday, March 4   ___ Saturday, March 5
I would like to reserve a:
   ___  single occupancy room ($78.00 per night).
   ___  double occupancy room ($84.00 per night).
      NOTE:  If you choose a double room, enter
      the name of the person sharing your room:_______________________________

   ___ I have enclosed a check for  $__________ to cover the
       meeting registration fee (and hotel room deposit, if applicable).
   ___ Charge my ___ American Express ___ Mastercard  ___ Visa
       for the registration fee:

       Card number:______________________________  Expires:________________

   Name:       ___________________________________________________

   Address:    ___________________________________________________

Send this form and your check, if applicable, to:

   UNIGLOBE--Vision Meeting                Telephone:
   40 Washington Street                    (800) 521-5144
   Wellesley Hills, MA   02181             (617) 235-7500

For further information about travel or accomodation arrangements,
contact UNIGLOBE at the above address or telephone numbers.

End of NEURON-Digest