[comp.ai.neural-nets] NEURON Digest - V3 #3

NEURON-Request@ti-csl.csc.ti.COM (NEURON-Digest moderator Michael Gately) (02/03/88)

NEURON Digest	Tue Feb  2 13:50:22 CST 1988    Volume 3 / Issue 3
Today's Topics:
 Re: Commercial Neural Nets
 Neural Net Study Group
 '87 neural nets proceedings
 Msc.
 Re: Commercial Neural Nets
 Announcing a Connectionist/Neural Network Symposium
 Seminar
 Tech report available...
 Reading List Suggestions ?
 Fault Tolerance & Neural Networks

Date: Fri, 22 Jan 88 08:17:46 PST
From: Daniel Abramovitch <danny@ford-wdl1.arpa>

Can anyone recommend a good starter text on Neural Nets?  I've
come from the adaptive control world and neural nets seems to be the
hot buzz word in industry.

Thanks in advance,

Danny

------------------------------

Date: 24 Jan 88 16:54:00 GMT
From: codas!novavax!hcx1!brian@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: Re: Commercial Neural Nets

I have heard of a neural net product called MacBrain (I don't know
who makes it) which runs on a Macintosh.  I would be interested in
hearing from people who use this product in the "real world".

-------                                                                -------
Brian M. Leach                   "The lasers are in the lab
Harris Computer Systems           The old man is dressed in white clothes
2101 W. Cypress Creek Rd. #161    Everybody says he's mad
Ft. Lauderdale, FL   33309        No one knows the things he knows
brian@harris.com                  No one knows."
                                                 Neil Young, "Sedan Delivery"

------------------------------

Date: 25 Jan 88 13:43:30 PST (Monday)
Subject: Neural Net Study Group
From: Rockwell.HENR801c@xerox.com

I'm trying to find members of Xerox in Rochester,NY interested in
joinning/forming a neural net/connectionist study group. Interested parties
should reply to  ROCKWELL:HENR801C:XEROX.

------------------------------

Date: 25 Jan 88 08:13:36 GMT
From: Mike MacGregor <ihnp4!alberta!macg@ucbvax.berkeley.edu>
Subject: '87 neural nets proceedings

Does anyone have an address for obtaining the proceedings from last summer's
neural nets conference ?  Thanks in advance.

uucp:  macg@alberta                            Innately analog: (403)432-3978
ean:   macg@pembina.alberta.cdn
disclaimer: I'm saving all my opinions for my thesis.

------------------------------

Date: Thu 21 Jan 88 09:32:56-PST
From: Ken Laws <LAWS@iu.ai.sri.com>
Subject: Msc.

Kaiti Riley asked about neural models of timing and phase.  I would
suggest the extensive recent literature on optic flow in the computational
vision conferences and journals.  You may want to reduce the techniques
to one spatial dimension for NN experimentation, but the mathematics
of spatiotemporal derivatives should be the same.

A question was asked about Hopfield networks, which reminded me of the
following.  Hopfield nets are often hyped as a solution to the traveling
salesman problem.  Even allowing for the fact that only approximate
solutions are found, I am not convinced that this is a good approach.
Optimal paths are always nonintersecting loops, but Hopfield networks
can give solutions that cross themselves.  Non-NN postprocessing can
correct for this by breaking and reconnecting the crossed links, but
why should this be necessary?  Has anyone built planarity into the
constraint functions that drive the network?  If this can't be done
elegantly, shouldn't we prefer Karmarkar's linear programming approach
or search for some other feedback solution that is more flexible?
(Beam search is an AI technique that permits multiple solutions to
compete, whereas Hopfield networks can only track one trajectory at
a time.  Perhaps the ability to consider multiple sets of solutions
is critical.)

Julian Dow suggested that Neuronal and Neural systems be distinguished.
Unfortunately, the meanings were reversed from those already used by
the neuroscientists.  I refer specifically to an article in the new
Daedalus issue by Jacob T. Schwartz, which mentions Neural systems
as the biological ones and Neuronal as the artificial ones.

While I'm on the subject, it turns out that the Daedalus AI issue
is really more of a Connectionist issue.  Each paper deals with
either the potential of neuronal systems or the history of the
symbolic vs. holistic split in AI -- all written in philosophical
rather than engineering style.  I particularly enjoyed Hillis'
argument that each human brain requires only a gigabit of memory
-- about the size of a Connection Machine! -- and [his] discussion
of the emergent properties of water.  I haven't quite finished
the journal yet, but I recommend it to this audience.  You can
get copies for $5 (plus $1 outside the U.S.) from
daedalus%amcad.uucp@husc6.harvard.edu or from

  DAEDALUS Business Office
  P.O. Box 515
  Canton, MA  02021

					-- Ken

------------------------------

Date: 27 Jan 88 15:25:14 GMT
From: Dave Hampton <tikal!phred!daveh@beaver.cs.washington.edu>

Regarding Commercial Neural Net Packages:

At the AAAI convention last summer, I ordered a copy of a neural
networks simulator for the IBM-PC called NeuralWorks Professional,
from NeuralWare, Inc.  The package cost just over $100 at the
time, although I believe that it's selling for about $400 now.
It consists of NWorks, a Neural Network construction and simulation
environment, and two demonstration packages, Networks I and II.

The distribution of the programs was delayed, and I received the
original disks in October.  It didn't work at all.  A follow-up
(Version 1.01) arrived in December at no cost, and I have been
able to install it and get some of the simple networks running.
I haven't been able to explore the package thoroughly yet, but it
seems complete and is worth considering.

Contact:  Casimir "Casey" Klimasauskas, President
            NeuralWare, Inc.
            103 Buckskin Court
            Sewickley, PA  15143
            (412) 741-5959

------------------------------

From: @C.CS.CMU.EDU:JOSE@FLASH.BELLCORE.COM
Subject: Announcing a Connectionist/Neuroscience symposium

                 Connectionist Modeling and Brain Function:
                        The Developing Interface

                         February 25-26, 1988
                         Princeton University
                        Lewis Thomas Auditorium

This symposium explores the interface between connectionist modeling
and neuroscience by bringing together pairs of collaborating speakers
or researchers working on related problems.  Each set of speakers will
provide a sample of the kind of successful interaction characterizing
the rapidly developing field of computational modeling of brain function.

       Thursday                                   Friday
Associative Memory and Learning          Sensory Development and Plasticity

         9:00 am                               9:00 am
   Introductory Remarks                         Preliminaries
  Professor G. A. Miller                       Announcements

         9:15 am                               9:15 am
Olfactory Process and Associative     Role of Neural Activity in the
Memory: Cellular and Modeling         Development of the Central Visual
Studies                               System: Phenomena, Possible Mechanism
                                      and a Model
   Professor A. Gelperin                 Professor Michael P. Stryker
   AT&T Bell Laboratories                University of California, San Fran
   Princeton University

         10:30 am                              10:30 am
  Simple Neural Models of               Towards an Organizing Principle for a
  Classical Conditioning                Perceptual Network

   Dr. G. Tesauro                        Dr. R. Linsker, Ph.D., M.D.
Center for Complex Systems Research      IBM Watson Research Lab

Noon-Lunch                            Noon-Lunch

           1:30 pm                               1:30 pm
Brain Rhythms and Network Memories:   Biological Constraints on a Dynamic
I. Rhythms Drive Synaptic Change      Network: Somatosensory Nervous System

    Professor G. Lynch                    Dr. T. Allard
University of California, Irvine      University of California, San Francisco

          3:00 pm                               3:00 pm
Brain Rhythms and Network Memories:   Computer Simulation of Representational
II. Rhythms Encode Memory             Plasticity in Somatosensory Cortical
Hierarchies                           Maps

     Professor R. Granger                  Professor Lief H. Finkel
University of California, Irvine           Rockefeller University
                                           The Neuroscience Institute

4:30 pm  General Discussion           4:30 pm General Discussion

5:30 pm  Reception                    5:30 pm Reception
Green Hall, Langfeld Lounge           Green Hall, Langfeld Lounge

Organizers                            Sponsored by

Stephen J. Hanson Bellcore &          Department of Psychology
Princeton U.                          Cognitive Science Laboratory
Carl R. Olson Princeton U.            Human Information Processing Group
George A. Miller, Princeton U.

(new page)

            Connectionist Modeling and Brain Function:
                   The Developing Interface

                    February 25-26, 1988
                    Princeton University
                   Lewis Thomas Auditorium

Travel Information

Princeton is located in central New Jersey, approximately 50 miles
southwest of New York City and 45 miles northest of Philadelphia.  To
reach Princeton by public transportation, one usually travels through
one of these cities.  We recommend the following routes:

By Car
>From NEW YORK - - New Jersey Turnpike to Exit #9, New Brunswick; Route
18 West (approximately 1 mile) to U.S. Route #1 South, Trenton.  From
PHILADELPHIA - - Interstate 95 to U.S. Route #1 North.  From
Washington - - New Jersey Turnpike to Exit #8, Hightstown; Route 571.
Princeton University is located one mile west of U.S. Route #1.  It
can be reached via Washington Road, which crosses U.S. Route #1 at the
Penns Neck Intersection.

By Train

Take Amtrak or New Jersey Transit train to Princeton Junction, from
which you can ride the shuttle train (known locally as the "Dinky")
into Princeton.  Please consult the Campus Map below for directions on
walking to Lewis Thomas Hall from the Dinky Station.
For any further information concerning the conference please
contact our conference planner:

			Ms. Shari Landes
			Psychology Department
			Princeton University, 08540

			Phone: 609-452-4663
			Elec. Mail: shari@mind.princeton.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Jan 88 08:28:44 CST
From: @RELAY.CS.NET:UNICORN!LUSE@NOSC.MIL
Subject: Seminar

                         ACM SIGANS
                          presents

                   "Economic Prediction
                           using
                      Neural Networks"

                     Dr. Halbert White
               Professor of Economics at UCSD

                    Tuesday February 23
                           6-8 pm
                      General Dynamics
                       CRA Pavillion

For more information call Dave Holden at 592-5026.   GD  CRA
Pavillion  is  located in Missile Park, just east of 163 off
Clairemont Mesa Blvd. (Thomas Bros. map page 45, F6.)

------------------------------

Date: Wed 20 Jan 88 12:15:45-CST
From: Jim Anderson <ANDERSON%MAXIMILLION.CP.MCC.COM@mcc.com>
Subject: Tech report available...

                                                         MCC-EI-287-87

         Neural Networks and NP-complete Optimization Problems;
           A Performance Study on the Graph Bisection Problem

                 Carsten Peterson and James R. Anderson

          Microelectronics and Computer Technology Corporation
                   3500 West Balcones Center Drive
                        Austin, TX 78759-6509

Abstract:

The performance of a mean field theory (MFT) neural network technique for
finding approximate solutions to optimization problems is investigated for
the case of the minimum cut graph bisection problem, which is NP-complete.
We address the issues of solution quality, programming complexity, convergence
times and scalability. Both standard random graphs and more structured
geometric graphs are considered. We find very encouraging results for all
these aspects for bisection of graphs with sizes ranging from 20 to 2000
vertices. Solution quality appears to be competitive with other methods,
and the effort required to apply the MFT method is minimal. Although the
MFT neural network approach is inherently a parallel method, we find that
the MFT algorithm executes in less time than other approaches even when it
is simulated in a serial manner.

Requests for copies should include name and land address.
Please send requests to HINER@MCC.COM.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Jan 88 11:00:35 CST
From: @C.CS.CMU.EDU:CECI@BOULDER.COLORADO.EDU
Subject: Re:  Reading list suggestions?

Here's a suggestion.  It's a short work, mostly conceptual, and it concerns
some of the problems coonectionist models can be expected to encounter
when trying to do natural language processing.
	David L. Waltz.  Connectionist Models: Not Just a Notational
		Variant, Not a Panacea.
Abstract:
	Connectionist models inherently include features and exhibit
	behaviors which are difficult to achieve with traditional logic-
	based models.  Among the more important characteristics are:
	(1) the ability to compute nearest match rather than requiring
	unification or exact match; (2) learning; (3) fault tolerance
	through the integration of overlapping modules, each of which
	may be incomplete or fallible, and (4) the possibility of scaling
	up such systems by many orders of magnitude, to operate more
	rapidly or to handle much larger problems, or both.  However,
	it is unlikely that connectionist models will be able to learn
	all of language from experience, because it is unlikely that a
	full cognitive system could be built via learning from an initially
	random network; any successful large-scale connectionist learning
	system will have to be to some degree "genetically" prewired.

The paper is only seven pages long, including references, so you can get an
idea of the depth of analysis.  It is, however, very clearly written
and sets out the major obstacles connectionist language learning will
have to overcome.  Unfortunately, I don't have the complete source citation;
it's a technical report, but I don't remember who put it out.  Waltz
listed his credentials as "Thinking Machines Corporation and Brandeis
University," so perhaps one of those two institutions will know the exact
citation.

I'd be very interested in the reading list you compile.

Cheers,
  Lou Ceci
  Dept. of Journalism and Mass Communications
  Univ. of Northern Colorado
  Greeley, CO 80639
  (303) 351-2726.
  home: 3065 30th St. #6
        Boulder, CO 80301
        (303) 449-7839

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Jan 88 23:49:42 pst
From: "Andrew J. Worth" <worth@iris.ucdavis.edu>
Subject: Fault Tolerance & Neural Networks

I would like to thank those who responded to my query and re-post this
query for information on:

   - the inherent fault-tolerance in neural networks
   - determining the fault-tolerance capabilities of neural networks
   - increasing fault tolerance in neural networks
   - using neural networks for traditional fault tolerance applications

Results of this query so far follow.  Due to address problems, I am
re-posting this request for information.  Anyone with additional
information on the above subjects is encouraged to respond via one of
my addresses given below.  Thanks in advance.

From: kurt@bach.csg.uiuc.edu (Kurt)

T. Hogg and B. Huberman, "Understanding Biological Computation: Reliable
Learning and Recognition," Proceeding of the National Academy of Science,
November 1984, pp. 6871-6875.

-----------------------------------
From: ee.worden@a20.cc.utexas.edu (Sue J. Worden)

C. R. Legendy, "On the scheme by which the human brain
stores information," MATH.BIOSCI., vol. 1, pp. 555-597, 1967

J. J. Hopfield, "Neural networks and physical systems with
emergent collective computational abilities," PROC>NATL.
ACAD.SCI.USA, vol. 79, no. 8, pp. 2554-2558, 1982

J. A. Anderson, "Cognitive and psychological computation
with neural models," IEEE TRANS.SYST.,MAN,CYBERN., vol. SMC-13,
no. 5, pp. 799-815, 1983.

S. S. Venkatesh, "Epsilon capacity of neural networks,"
NEURAL NETWORKS FOR COMPUTING, AIP CONF.PROC. 151, J. S.Denker,
ed., pp. 440-445. 1986

OTHER POSSIBILITIES:
-----------------------------------
see PDP ch 12 p.472 & PDP ch 7 p.303 & PDP ch22 p.413
PDP = Rumelhart, D., and McClelland, J., Parallel Distributed
Processing: Explorations in the Microstructure of Cognition:
Volumes 1 and 2, Bradford Books/MIT Press, Cambridge, 1986
-----------------------------------
A mention of using Hopfield nets for FT applications:
correcting serial transmissions? (see Lippmann, Richard P.,
An Introduction to Computing with Neural Netw, IEEE ASSP,
April 1987, p. 8.)
-----------------------------------
Simplson references Cottrell about gracefull degridation of brains:
Cottress, G. and Small, S., "Viewing Parsing as Word Sense
Discrimination: A Connectionis Approach", Computational Models
of Natural Language Processing.  Bara, B. and Guida, G. (Eds.),
Elsevier Science Publishers, B.B.: North-Holland (1984).

ONGOING RESEARCH:
-----------------------------------
Sue J. Worden, U. Texas, Austin.
  -fault tolerance of a neural network architecture based on
   compacta theory (see ref. above to C. R. Legendy)

Michael J. Carter, U. New Hampshire.
  -a quantitative theory of fault tolerance for neural networks
   initially for multi-layer perceptrons.

-Andy "everyone just says they are fault tolerant and that's all"
worth@iris.ucdavis.edu
worth%iris.ucdavis.edu@relay.cs.net
worth@clover.ucdavis.edu
1421 H Street Apt 4, Davis, CA, 95616-1128
(916) 753-9910

End of NEURON-Digest